BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What size dot does everyone like and why?
View Quote

I have the rm08a RMR that is actually the triangle. It's quick to acquire and still easy enough to sight in
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So how does running an RDS on top change the mechanics of operating the gun? Do you overhand or slingshot when loading or performing remedial action?
View Quote

You can still do either. In addition the RMR makes a great "slide racker" using your hand, leg, belt, etc...or a table top, wall, or essentially any hard surface.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#3]
gen4 19 with jp jpoint 4moa milled in and still able to use factory sights.

Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:28:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Gen3 35 on left.  Might be doing a Vortex RAZOR 3moa or Leupold Deltapoint in 3.5 for a RTF22 that I'm working on right now.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:45:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Freaking exactly!!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why did I open this thread??

Now I have priced out doing one of my Glocks for RDS.

Freaking exactly!!!!

Ditto. Does anyone know a place that can mount a docter sight on a Glock? I checked ATEi but it only said it could do the trijicon ones on their website.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 6:57:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ditto. Does anyone know a place that can mount a docter sight on a Glock? I checked ATEi but it only said it could do the trijicon ones on their website.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why did I open this thread??

Now I have priced out doing one of my Glocks for RDS.

Freaking exactly!!!!

L&m or One source tactical
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You're exactly right. Don't have a pic though
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So how are they mounted?  I assume the slide is milled, then drilled and tapped?  Any pics of a milled slide without one mounted?

You're exactly right. Don't have a pic though
in case you don't want to purchase an extra slide or mill the one you have, this works well I have had it on a 21 for a year now and it's solid as a rock, and gives you the option of changing red dot brands or using a laser or whatever you want that fits a pic rail. if you get bored with red dots ,or want to sell your gun, you just take  the mount off and go back to your normal glock setup.

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#10]
So can anyone chime in on why people prefer their rear iron sight in front of the red dot vs behind it?
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So can anyone chime in on why people prefer their rear iron sight in front of the red dot vs behind it?
View Quote

From what I know it's because it makes them in the same sight plane so to speak so you look at both through the RDS if that makes sense
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

My first RMR'd Glock I had sight behind the optic and I got distracted by the rear sight.  Sold that one and got another one with rear sight in front of red dot and no longer distracted me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I recently got a wild hair about getting a red dot mounted on my Glock 23. After realizing how expensive Trijicon RMRs, and the majority of other popular red dot sights, are, I set about to figuring out a more cost-effective way to get into the red dot scene.After a bit of internetting, I ended up settling on the Burris Fastfire III, which I believe is probably the most cost-effective and versatile RDS option currently available.

http://s28.postimg.org/965w4pqkd/IMAG0245.jpg

I was able to get the Fastfire III for right around $200. As you can see, I am using the dovetail mount, which set me back $40. So, for for less than half the price of a Trijicon or Docter Optic, I was able to purchase and mount a red dot so that I can give it a try. While the dovetail mount is obviously not ideal due to its height over the slide, as well as the inability to mount BUIS, assuming I like shooting with the red dot, I plan to get my slide milled for an ATOM Mount by Unity Tactical.

For those unfamiliar, the ATOM Mount is similar to the CORE system on the M&P Pro line in that the slide is milled out to accept mounting plates that are made for different types of red dots. Additionally, it is compatible with mounting BUIS. While ATOM adapter plates are available for the most popular red dot sights, like the RMR and Docter Optic, they have one that is compatible with the Fastfire. The website bills it as being available for the Fastfire II, but after reaching out to Unity Tactical, their president emailed me back and indicated that L&M Precision Gunworks (one of the two companies currently milling slides to accept the ATOM) could mill a Fastfire II slide to accept the Fastfire III. The L&M website is a bit difficult to navigate, so it's hard to tell exactly how much they charge for the milling, but Robar (the other milling vendor) charges $225, plus $55 for the specific adapter. So, for around the price of an RMR, without the slide milling, I can have an RDS melted to the slide. However, in the long run, if I ever decide to upgrade to an RMR, all it will require is purchasing the necessary ATOM mounting plate. Plus, I would still have my Fastfire and dovetail mount that I could use on another Glock if so desired.

Perhaps this is a bit of a longer range plan than most, but I hope that this strategy might be useful to someone interested in getting a red dot but without the upfront funds to shell out for melting an RMR to their slide.

I got the Fastfire III with the 8 MOA dot. The dot on the Medium and High settings is very visible and easy to pick up. The dot on the lowest setting can be a but more difficult to make out. This is the dot on the Medium setting:
http://s29.postimg.org/hf4fx9x3b/IMAG0246.jpg
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#15]
RMR arrived this weekend and I already built a custom mount for it.  What does everything think?  I had a bit of trouble getting it zeroed at the range.

Perfect co-witness

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
RMR arrived this weekend and I already built a custom mount for it.  What does everything think?  I had a bit of trouble getting it zeroed at the range.

http://i.imgur.com/jccDx4I.jpg

Perfect co-witness

http://i.imgur.com/mk9G5SN.jpg
View Quote

Rofl cakes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My first RMR'd Glock I had sight behind the optic and I got distracted by the rear sight.  Sold that one and got another one with rear sight in front of red dot and no longer distracted me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I see.

Anyone else have this issue?
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#18]
gabe and his loyal followers are dropping the rmr for the doctor 3
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
gabe and his loyal followers are dropping the rmr for the doctor 3
View Quote

I'm sure they'll drop that for the next latest and greatest thing too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Tagged, for relavant interest.

<---------- best pic I have right now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:51:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Now with more iPotato!

Attempting a shot through the RMR.  Couldn't get the camera to focus on the dot, so it appears bigger than it really is.  Need to try again outdoors with a real camera.

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 6:43:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Just got the slide back.

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#24]
For those of is interested in putting an RDS on our pistols, should I suck it up, be patient, save and get an RMR? Or would going with a J point or the Burris offering work just as well. I'm generally a firm buy once cry once kind of guy but I've got some expenses which would prolong my wait and I'm getting ancy
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#25]
I would personally hold out for the RMR.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Question for those with RMRs machined into their slides:  are you using the mount sealing plate?  I just picked up an RMR, but didn't send my slide off yet to get cut.  My RMR didn't come with the mount sealing plate; I guess I need to order it separately.  Will the plate make the RMR sit higher in the slide cutout?
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I have one its not trijicon branded, but It does seem like a worth while item.  The plate is very thin so sure it does raise it up, but not enough to make any difference.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe I can convince the fiancée to allow me to use honeymoon money on one
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
For those of is interested in putting an RDS on our pistols, should I suck it up, be patient, save and get an RMR? Or would going with a J point or the Burris offering work just as well. I'm generally a firm buy once cry once kind of guy but I've got some expenses which would prolong my wait and I'm getting ancy
View Quote

You already answered your own question
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd like to get my CZ P09 milled for my RMR.  Where should I send it for milling and cerakoting?

Do the places listed in this thread only work on Glocks or will they work on other slides as well?
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'd like to get my CZ P09 milled for my RMR.  Where should I send it for milling and cerakoting?

Do the places listed in this thread only work on Glocks or will they work on other slides as well?
View Quote

I would email Doug at DPCustomWorksLLC and see what he says. He can probably do it
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have one its not trijicon branded, but It does seem like a worth while item.  The plate is very thin so sure it does raise it up, but not enough to make any difference.  
View Quote

Thanks for the info.  I'll have to pick one up.  Do you need to put a strip of electrical tape between the sealing plate and the battery?  I've heard of people using electrical tape between the RMR and slide, but not sure if it's still needed with the sealing plate?
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 3:28:43 AM EDT
[#34]
RMRs are water resistant anyways so unless you plan to swim with it I don't foresee not having the seal plate as an issue.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 4:34:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Question for those with RMRs machined into their slides:  are you using the mount sealing plate?  I just picked up an RMR, but didn't send my slide off yet to get cut.  My RMR didn't come with the mount sealing plate; I guess I need to order it separately.  Will the plate make the RMR sit higher in the slide cutout?
View Quote

Mine has the sealing plate.  It doesn't seem to be any higher to me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
RMRs are water resistant anyways so unless you plan to swim with it I don't foresee not having the seal plate as an issue.
View Quote

It doesn't look very water resistant with the battery exposed on the bottom and the sides of the RMR overhanging the slide a bit  I think I'd rather have the sealing plate for the peace of mind.  I won't be going for a swim with it, but don't want to worry about it if it's on my hip all day in a class or match in the rain.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It doesn't look very water resistant with the battery exposed on the bottom and the sides of the RMR overhanging the slide a bit  I think I'd rather have the sealing plate for the peace of mind.  I won't be going for a swim with it, but don't want to worry about it if it's on my hip all day in a class or match in the rain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I should have been more specific. Mine is a dual illuminated so doesn't use a battery.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Boom. My T1 looks down on your RMR/Docter shenanigans.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kiowadriver/9315544833/" target="_blank">https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3824/9315544833_3c75229465_b.jpg</a>
image by KiowaDriver, on Flickr

Here is a pic in its holster

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/akscott60/media/image_zpsb881b60c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/akscott60/image_zpsb881b60c.jpg</a>
View Quote

I respect it for what it is but am not a fan of the look on the glock. Love T-1s though
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I should have been more specific. Mine is a dual illuminated so doesn't use a battery.
View Quote

Ah, makes sense.  I don't know what the bottom of the dual illuminated ones look like.  On the LED the battery and electronics are all exposed.  

On the dual illuminated which does everyone prefer, green or amber?  I've never tried either.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 3:24:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Ah, makes sense.  I don't know what the bottom of the dual illuminated ones look like.  On the LED the battery and electronics are all exposed.  

On the dual illuminated which does everyone prefer, green or amber?  I've never tried either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is amber but don't particular have a preference.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone know how often the Unity Atom slides show up?
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#43]
From this afternoon.  10 rounds of Win Ranger 147 FMJ at 25 yards.  The fliers were almost certainly my sloppy trigger work.  This is by far the most accurate Glock I own!

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 11:38:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Anyone know how often the Unity Atom slides show up?
View Quote

It's not very often; I managed to get mine back in early October from their first shipment.... They just now released a second batch this week.

They're a relatively small company; its best to get on the wait list here:

Unity Tactical ATOM Slide

If you're ready to buy, Sport Optics has them in stock for the Glock 17 right now, in both FDE and black.

Pic Thread-

Link Posted: 3/15/2014 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks to this thread, I have an rmr on the way. I have a gen2 23 and a gen4 23. Trying to decide which one to have milled. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thanks to this thread, I have an rmr on the way. I have a gen2 23 and a gen4 23. Trying to decide which one to have milled. Any thoughts?
View Quote

I'd have the Gen 4 milled. That Gen 2 is a keeper in its classic form.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's kind of the way I'm leaning!
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#48]
While I'll never like red dots on pistols I have been thinking about getting a glock with a slide done like that
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 7:49:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Just got this Friday...most definitely a different animal and need loads of practice with it.  Getting the gun up higher to use the RD is tough!

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 7:56:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Glock and coffee.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top