Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2013 1:27:44 AM EDT
Has anyone done it?  I'm not worried about cutting the hole but is there any reason why this can't be done?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you want the only improvement from the Gen 4.

I'm curious as well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I will compare the magwells when I get home to see what if any difference there is beyond the frame opening. I imagine this would have an impact on mag selection. IMO it will be more work that it is worth. slap a Vicker release in and call it a day or at a minimum just bevel out the area around the factory release
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:18:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm surprised this isn't a popular service.  I'd be up for doing this to my 3rd gen gun  ....  maybe not my first gen
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:27:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will compare the magwells when I get home to see what if any difference there is beyond the frame opening. I imagine this would have an impact on mag selection. IMO it will be more work that it is worth. slap a Vicker release in and call it a day or at a minimum just bevel out the area around the factory release
View Quote

There are a few folks that prefer a mag release on the right side.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:07:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

valid point.... sorry I just assumed everyone shot correctly
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#6]
TexasRifleman did this.  Seems like it would be pretty straight forward.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#7]
How about cutting it for the Lone Wolf/Aerotek style mag release?

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#8]
It's funny you bring this up, I was wondering the same thing a while back when handling my fiances gen 4 over my gen 3.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#9]

I like what you did with that grip.  Elimination of the finger grooves and clean stippling.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
TexasRifleman did this.  Seems like it would be pretty straight forward.
View Quote

This mod is easy to do if you're patient, have experience building models, can stipple a Glock, and have an eye for detail.

This is not something a novice can dive into. There is a very real possibility that you could ruin your Glock frame. If you can't detail strip a Glock, please stop here.

To start off, unload the Glock, check the chamber, and remove the slide.

Gen 3 standard mag catch and Gen 4 extended mag catch. You'll need to make a new mag catch spring slot on the Gen 4 catch to make it fit the Gen 3 frame.

Remove original mag catch

Carefully and slowly use an Exacto blade to cut out the mag catch slot to fit the wider catch.

Don't make the hole too big, or the new catch won't fit neatly like this.

The right side mag catch hole is too big for the Gen 4 catch.

Use a soldering iron to add plastic to the rear of the right side mag catch hole. Add more than necessary.

Use your Exacto square up and trim the new plastic to size.

The Gen 4 mag catch should fit flush.

Installed.

You could probably smooth out the new plastic on the right side, but I just stippled the Glock instead.

The Gen 4 extended catch sticks out about 1/16" from the frame. The standard catch is flush.

Gen 3 G17 on a Gen 3 G34.

Link Posted: 9/13/2013 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Unload......wait......wut??

Thanks for posting that.  I didn't figure the other side for being over cut.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think you could do it to switch sides.  The spring can only travel one way on the 3rd gen frames, so that would take some doing.

The cutting that is possible is only to accept the larger mag release, but it would have to stay on the same side..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top