Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2012 5:01:44 AM EDT
I purchased a G20sf. I shot 10 rounds through it. I then purchased a barrel from Lone Wolf.
Is there any reason to keep the factory barrel? I will not shoot this pistol much.
What is the going price for this a barrel in this condition?

Thank you
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 6:44:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I also own a G20 and purchased a barrel from LW.  If you think you might ever sell that Glock, then you'd do well to keep the factory barrel.  Also, if you decide at some point that you want the G20 to be 100% reliable, then put the factory barrel back in.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I also own a G20 and purchased a barrel from LW.  If you think you might ever sell that Glock, then you'd do well to keep the factory barrel.  Also, if you decide at some point that you want the G20 to be 100% reliable, then put the factory barrel back in.

Why is it not 100% reliable with the LW barrel?
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 7:52:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, I guess 100% would be an exaggeration, even with the factory barrel; should have said, "more reliable."  

The LW barrel has a much tighter chamber than does the factory barrel.  When the LW barrel's chamber gets a little fouled from shooting, you'll experience failures to feed before you would @ the same number of rounds through the factory barrel. The only reason I bought the LW barrel is because I get more reloads out of my brass with the LW barrel, due to the tighter chamber.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#4]
My Lonewolf barrel wouldnt feed my handloads.  I purchased a undersized die, trimmed my brass shorter and used a heavy crimp and it still would not feed them.  I sent it back to them and they are now in the process or rechambering it which takes 2-4 weeks.  Cost is $30

I won't buy a barrel from them again.  I will be looking elsewhere.

If you are shopping around and comparing prices on an aftermarket barrel you should probably add the $30 and shipping cost to the lonewolf price.  

Link Posted: 7/11/2012 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#5]
get a Storm Lake barrel and you're done. we've used a lot of these barrels at the shop, no problems yet. the chambers in Lone Wolf and KKM are not near as tight as Storm Lake.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm sure that Storm Lake barrels are really spiffy; however, I'd bet that Storm Lake hasn't reinvented the laws of physics!
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#7]
after market barrels for glocks fall into that "it ain't broke,don't fix it" category. just use the stock barrel-until you get into barrels that are tighter enough in dimension to make a significant accuracy difference in a glock, you also reach the point where reliability is adversely affected. nothing can be done with a glock that the factory barrel won't do just fine-including shooting cast bullets. just clean the bore every 100 rounds and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I you ever want to sell the gun, the factory barrel will be a huge plus

Link Posted: 7/11/2012 8:12:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm sure that Storm Lake barrels are really spiffy; however, I'd bet that Storm Lake hasn't reinvented the laws of physics!

wtf are you even talking about ? get one of each barrel and start measuring the important areas. why anyone would buy a lesser barrel just doesn't make sense. kind of like your post. if it's fitted correctly, it'll be 100%. the only reason Glock barrels usually feed so good is because of the huge chamber entrances. none of the Storm Lake barrels I've installed in customers guns have had any problems. 25+ barrels and no FTF or any other problem the barrel could cause.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well, I guess 100% would be an exaggeration, even with the factory barrel; should have said, "more reliable."  

The LW barrel has a much tighter chamber than does the factory barrel.  When the LW barrel's chamber gets a little fouled from shooting, you'll experience failures to feed before you would @ the same number of rounds through the factory barrel. The only reason I bought the LW barrel is because I get more reloads out of my brass with the LW barrel, due to the tighter chamber.

that part there in red, there's the whole key to your problem. I've yet to see a LW barrel in person that wasn't sloppy as hell.

Link Posted: 7/12/2012 6:41:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn!

I bought the wrong barrel?

The reason I purchased a new barrel was because I was going to be shooting cast (Double Tap) bullets through it.
The reason I bought a LW barrel is because that's what everyone was recommending.

Like I said, Damn!

Thanks for the info fellas!  
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I went with KKM.  They are the most expensive, but only by a few bucks and hadn't heard one bad thing said about them.  I figured it was worth the couple bucks.  I decided that LW wasn't worth the money and Storm lake were good but for a few more bucks(and they were in stock at the time) the KKM does the trick very well.
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#13]
ETA - never mind... bad mood.
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
that part there in red, there's the whole key to your problem. I've yet to see a LW barrel in person that wasn't sloppy as hell.

I have reamed quite a few LWD barrels with Clymer SAAMI Min reamers.  LWDs chambers are looser today then several years ago, but sloppy is not a word I would use.

I do not consider LWDs to be "match" or "custom" barrels.  Most are buying aftermarket barrels for Glocks simply to get the standard rifling and a less generous chamber.  LWD barrels serve this function without costing too much.

Quoted:
I went with KKM.  They are the most expensive, but only by a few bucks and hadn't heard one bad thing said about them.  I figured it was worth the couple bucks.  I decided that LW wasn't worth the money and Storm lake were good but for a few more bucks(and they were in stock at the time) the KKM does the trick very well.

KKM Precision is my preferred pistol barrel manufacturer.  Excellent product and great customer service.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top