Site Notices
4/17/2014 3:33:50 PM
Author
Posted: 7/11/2012 9:01:44 AM

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
I purchased a G20sf. I shot 10 rounds through it. I then purchased a barrel from Lone Wolf.
Is there any reason to keep the factory barrel? I will not shoot this pistol much.
What is the going price for this a barrel in this condition?

Thank you
Fragalistic
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/11/2012 10:44:39 AM
I also own a G20 and purchased a barrel from LW. If you think you might ever sell that Glock, then you'd do well to keep the factory barrel. Also, if you decide at some point that you want the G20 to be 100% reliable, then put the factory barrel back in.
whiskey
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/11/2012 11:35:57 AM
Originally Posted By Fragalistic:
I also own a G20 and purchased a barrel from LW. If you think you might ever sell that Glock, then you'd do well to keep the factory barrel. Also, if you decide at some point that you want the G20 to be 100% reliable, then put the factory barrel back in.

Why is it not 100% reliable with the LW barrel?
Fragalistic
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/11/2012 11:52:40 AM
Well, I guess 100% would be an exaggeration, even with the factory barrel; should have said, "more reliable."

The LW barrel has a much tighter chamber than does the factory barrel. When the LW barrel's chamber gets a little fouled from shooting, you'll experience failures to feed before you would @ the same number of rounds through the factory barrel. The only reason I bought the LW barrel is because I get more reloads out of my brass with the LW barrel, due to the tighter chamber.
DernHumpus
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/11/2012 1:39:30 PM
[Last Edit: 7/11/2012 1:40:37 PM by DernHumpus]
My Lonewolf barrel wouldnt feed my handloads. I purchased a undersized die, trimmed my brass shorter and used a heavy crimp and it still would not feed them. I sent it back to them and they are now in the process or rechambering it which takes 2-4 weeks. Cost is $30

I won't buy a barrel from them again. I will be looking elsewhere.

If you are shopping around and comparing prices on an aftermarket barrel you should probably add the $30 and shipping cost to the lonewolf price.
phideaux
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/11/2012 2:18:44 PM
get a Storm Lake barrel and you're done. we've used a lot of these barrels at the shop, no problems yet. the chambers in Lone Wolf and KKM are not near as tight as Storm Lake.
Fragalistic
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/11/2012 2:55:57 PM
I'm sure that Storm Lake barrels are really spiffy; however, I'd bet that Storm Lake hasn't reinvented the laws of physics!
captain127
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/11/2012 3:40:57 PM
after market barrels for glocks fall into that "it ain't broke,don't fix it" category. just use the stock barrel-until you get into barrels that are tighter enough in dimension to make a significant accuracy difference in a glock, you also reach the point where reliability is adversely affected. nothing can be done with a glock that the factory barrel won't do just fine-including shooting cast bullets. just clean the bore every 100 rounds and you will be fine.
TheMercenary
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/11/2012 3:43:52 PM
I you ever want to sell the gun, the factory barrel will be a huge plus

The instruments of battle are valuable only if one knows how to use them
Knowledge is power, Ignorance is a Democrat... Fuck Obama
phideaux
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2012 12:12:13 AM
[Last Edit: 7/12/2012 12:21:50 AM by phideaux]
I'm sure that Storm Lake barrels are really spiffy; however, I'd bet that Storm Lake hasn't reinvented the laws of physics!

wtf are you even talking about ? get one of each barrel and start measuring the important areas. why anyone would buy a lesser barrel just doesn't make sense. kind of like your post. if it's fitted correctly, it'll be 100%. the only reason Glock barrels usually feed so good is because of the huge chamber entrances. none of the Storm Lake barrels I've installed in customers guns have had any problems. 25+ barrels and no FTF or any other problem the barrel could cause.
phideaux
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2012 12:19:08 AM
Well, I guess 100% would be an exaggeration, even with the factory barrel; should have said, "more reliable."

The LW barrel has a much tighter chamber than does the factory barrel. When the LW barrel's chamber gets a little fouled from shooting, you'll experience failures to feed before you would @ the same number of rounds through the factory barrel. The only reason I bought the LW barrel is because I get more reloads out of my brass with the LW barrel, due to the tighter chamber.

that part there in red, there's the whole key to your problem. I've yet to see a LW barrel in person that wasn't sloppy as hell.

whiskey
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2012 10:41:16 AM
Damn!

I bought the wrong barrel?

The reason I purchased a new barrel was because I was going to be shooting cast (Double Tap) bullets through it.
The reason I bought a LW barrel is because that's what everyone was recommending.

Like I said, Damn!

Thanks for the info fellas!
bullofspadez
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2012 4:11:13 PM
I went with KKM. They are the most expensive, but only by a few bucks and hadn't heard one bad thing said about them. I figured it was worth the couple bucks. I decided that LW wasn't worth the money and Storm lake were good but for a few more bucks(and they were in stock at the time) the KKM does the trick very well.
Proud Member of "Ranstad's Militia"
bullofspadez
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2012 4:15:18 PM
[Last Edit: 7/12/2012 4:27:54 PM by bullofspadez]
ETA - never mind... bad mood.
Proud Member of "Ranstad's Militia"
Kristofer_G
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2012 9:54:35 PM
[Last Edit: 7/13/2012 11:32:38 AM by Kristofer_G]
Originally Posted By phideaux:
that part there in red, there's the whole key to your problem. I've yet to see a LW barrel in person that wasn't sloppy as hell.

I have reamed quite a few LWD barrels with Clymer SAAMI Min reamers. LWDs chambers are looser today then several years ago, but sloppy is not a word I would use.

I do not consider LWDs to be "match" or "custom" barrels. Most are buying aftermarket barrels for Glocks simply to get the standard rifling and a less generous chamber. LWD barrels serve this function without costing too much.

Originally Posted By bullofspadez:
I went with KKM. They are the most expensive, but only by a few bucks and hadn't heard one bad thing said about them. I figured it was worth the couple bucks. I decided that LW wasn't worth the money and Storm lake were good but for a few more bucks(and they were in stock at the time) the KKM does the trick very well.

KKM Precision is my preferred pistol barrel manufacturer. Excellent product and great customer service.