Previous Page
Page:  / 5
Author
Posted: 6/8/2012 2:07:46 AM
[Last Edit: 6/8/2012 2:12:10 AM by The_Texan_Ninja]
Hello all,

In the market for a new handgun and finally settled on a Glock 19.

I really like the Gen. 4 grip texture and mag release, but I know the early ones had some major issues. Are the new ones good to go, or should I look for an older Gen. 3?

Ideally, I would like a Gen. 3 Austrian proofed one, but I know those are very hard to find now.
plouffedaddy
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2012 9:42:09 AM
Tough to say. I can speak to my experience.

I had a 2010 Gen4 19 and it was one of the worst guns I've ever owned. On the 3rd trip back to Glock, they replaced it with a 2012 gun and it's been flawless. So, in my case they've improved.

Replacement Video
felrom
Fighting Naturalist
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2012 9:50:16 AM
SVY prefix that I bought in early May with an FDE frame is an absolute lemon. Stovepipes over 1% of the time, many more failures to go into battery and weak ejection with an erratic pattern from 9 o'clock to 6 o'clock. Even Winchester 147gr Rangers were landing at my feet, hitting me in the face, and causing stovepipes.

Also, the rear sight was on the left edge of the dovetail. I'm skeptical that anyone at the factory shot it using the sights before it went out the door, and certainly no one even bothered to look at the sight or perform any QC/QA function that involved looking at the gun. The sight was crooked enough to be visible with the naked eye.

On the other hand, some people are reporting buying new gen 4 g19 models that are functioning perfectly. The honest reality is that buying one right now is just rolling the dice; maybe you'll get a reliable gun, and maybe you'll get a piece of garbage.
The NFA's days are numbered. One day I will walk out of a gun show with a new machine gun in my hands. No tax. No wait. Present CHL. Hand over cash. Fill out a 4473. And leave.
ZombieKiller25
ZRT Team Leader
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2012 9:52:44 AM
I have a late 2011 Gen4 and it's been perfect. Not a single issue yet...
When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.
felrom
Fighting Naturalist
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2012 9:57:56 AM
[Last Edit: 6/8/2012 10:00:28 AM by felrom]

Originally Posted By plouffedaddy:

I had a 2010 Gen4 19 and it was one of the worst guns I've ever owned. On the 3rd trip back to Glock, they replaced it with a 2012 gun and it's been flawless. So, in my case they've improved.

Replacement Video

That second video of your wife getting hit with every case needs to be watched by everyone saying that there are no problems.

I count 15 rounds. Thirteen fly back at 6 o'clock and twelve of those hit her hear or face.
The NFA's days are numbered. One day I will walk out of a gun show with a new machine gun in my hands. No tax. No wait. Present CHL. Hand over cash. Fill out a 4473. And leave.
telemarker
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2012 10:20:14 AM
Originally Posted By felrom:

Replacement Video

That second video of your wife getting hit with every case needs to be watched by everyone saying that there are no problems.

http://youtu.be/iQlkGPnOSAc

I count 15 rounds. Thirteen fly back at 6 o'clock and twelve of those hit her hear or face.

Juat wait till one of those hot cases flys down the front of her shirt, thats when the real fun starts! (seen it done, not good)

Zarthan #148
SR712
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2012 10:47:42 AM
Originally Posted By telemarker:

Replacement Video

Juat wait till one of those hot cases flys down the front of her shirt, thats when the real fun starts! (seen it done, not good)

In before, "Pics, or it didn't happen!"
KingOfTheBumps
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2012 11:20:48 AM
Originally Posted By ZombieKiller25:

How do you tell what year your guy was made in? I just picked up a Gen 4 G19, haven't been able to go shoot it yet.

Also, what does the Austrian proof mark stamp look like? My Gen 4 has several different stamps that my older Gen3 G22 does not have.

KOTB

KCabbage
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2012 12:06:00 PM
Test fire date: May 2012

I've shot between 300-400 147 gr. rounds through it so far with one case to the forehead and one failure to extract. The FTE was in the first 50 rounds. I can't remember clearly but I want to say it was due to a underpowered round as the recoil of that round was much lighter than the others. I've primarily been using Remington 147 gr UMC along with a small amount of Winchester Ranger 147 gr.

As for new stock, I ordered from Glockmeister. Get one of their grip plugs while you're at it.
plouffedaddy
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2012 1:44:26 PM
[Last Edit: 6/8/2012 1:44:57 PM by plouffedaddy]

Replacement Video

I agree. I only made those videos after Glock telling me there was nothing wrong with it and sending it back to me twice like that. In hindsight, I should have filmed myself shooting it because everyone always says, "it's not the gun, it's her." Well she shoots all of my other Glocks just fine, it's not her (although she still needs practice for sure).

She's been working weekends (when I shoot) since I got the replacement but as soon as I can get her out there with the new one I'll post an update. Point of all of this is––-sometimes it really is the gun.
felrom
Fighting Naturalist
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2012 4:57:11 PM

Originally Posted By KCabbage:
Test fire date: May 2012

I've shot between 300-400 147 gr. rounds through it so far with one case to the forehead and one failure to extract. The FTE was in the first 50 rounds. I can't remember clearly but I want to say it was due to a underpowered round as the recoil of that round was much lighter than the others. I've primarily been using Remington 147 gr UMC along with a small amount of Winchester Ranger 147 gr.

As for new stock, I ordered from Glockmeister. Get one of their grip plugs while you're at it.

I just went and looked at the test fire shell casing with mine; it's dated March 5, 2012. Like I said above, mine was choking even on 147gr Winchester Rangers fired after 500+ rounds. Hopefully they fixed something between when mine was built and yours was built.

aceranch
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2012 5:11:13 PM

Replacement Video

I agree. I only made those videos after Glock telling me there was nothing wrong with it and sending it back to me twice like that. In hindsight, I should have filmed myself shooting it because everyone always says, "it's not the gun, it's her." Well she shoots all of my other Glocks just fine, it's not her (although she still needs practice for sure).

She's been working weekends (when I shoot) since I got the replacement but as soon as I can get her out there with the new one I'll post an update. Point of all of this is––-sometimes it really is the gun.

My gen3 G19 throws one in my face once in a while. I bought it new in 2011. And congrats on getting the wife unit to use a hardened, stable shooting stance. Mine is getting there although she's already a natural shooter.
stoner01
Leash Puller
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2012 9:03:45 PM
No issues with mine. Wifw begs to differ but she's a noob
USAF SF
3PO71A MWD HANDLER
RIP SSgt Jason A. Decker 11-6-09

Pistols are for fighting back to your rifle you should have never put down in the first place.
Bram
Elongated Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2012 12:48:36 AM
SVY prefix that I bought in early May with an FDE frame is an absolute lemon. Stovepipes over 1% of the time, many more failures to go into battery and weak ejection with an erratic pattern from 9 o'clock to 6 o'clock. Even Winchester 147gr Rangers were landing at my feet, hitting me in the face, and causing stovepipes.

Also, the rear sight was on the left edge of the dovetail. I'm skeptical that anyone at the factory shot it using the sights before it went out the door, and certainly no one even bothered to look at the sight or perform any QC/QA function that involved looking at the gun. The sight was crooked enough to be visible with the naked eye.

On the other hand, some people are reporting buying new gen 4 g19 models that are functioning perfectly. The honest reality is that buying one right now is just rolling the dice; maybe you'll get a reliable gun, and maybe you'll get a piece of garbage.

Fascinating. I also have an SVY prefix (also test fired May 5th) that's been perfect so far. I've ran a few hundred rounds of WWB and Federal Champion through it and couldn't be more satisfied with the performance.

Did yours misbehave right out of the box? I'm hoping mine doesn't develop similar issues...
felrom
Fighting Naturalist
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2012 10:06:26 AM

Originally Posted By Bram:

Fascinating. I also have an SVY prefix (also test fired May 5th) that's been perfect so far. I've ran a few hundred rounds of WWB and Federal Champion through it and couldn't be more satisfied with the performance.

Did yours misbehave right out of the box? I'm hoping mine doesn't develop similar issues...
The first stovepipe was in either the first or second 15-round magazine I fired, and they have continued all the way through the most recent range trip.

And just to clarify, you meant a test fire date of MARCH 5?

DanR
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2012 10:26:35 AM
My 1/24/12 test fire gen4 G19 has been perfect
sabre_kc
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2012 11:06:07 AM
I've had 0 problems with mine.
"Go where the fire is hottest." Gen. Joseph E. Johnston - July 21, 1861

RIP Major Andrew Olmsted KIA 1-3-08....One of our finest.
Bram
Elongated Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2012 1:02:47 PM

Originally Posted By Bram:

The first stovepipe was in either the first or second 15-round magazine I fired, and they have continued all the way through the most recent range trip.

And just to clarify, you meant a test fire date of MARCH 5?

Oops, yes, March 5th is correct. " Date Collected: 03/05/12 "

Kristofer_G
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2012 6:06:28 PM
[Last Edit: 6/9/2012 6:14:34 PM by Kristofer_G]
Recently my store bought a lightly used Gen.4 19. Shooting it was an underwhelming experience. This pistol's serial number prefix is RFB and it has the 04 recoil spring assembly. It exhibited week ejection with all ammo types tried, five factory loads. S&B 124gr and Ranger Bonded 124+P both ejected okay. However, empties were thrown only half the distance of the same ammo types fired in my Gen.3 19s. Approximately three feet.

Then I tried Tulammo 115gr, Brown Bear 115gr, and Silver Bear 145gr. While I have no delusions about these brands being great ammo, I have never had a factory trim Glock 9mm fail to function with any of them, until the Gen.4 that is. All three exhibited week ejection with empties rolling out and landing at my feet. Additionally, each also had the last round in the mag fail to chamber. I was able to push the slide into battery with thumb.

Otherwise the pistol felt just like any other 19 while shooting. The good thing about this is I have lost any interest in Gen.4s and don't have to think about it any more.
74novaman
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2012 10:03:26 PM
I have a gen4 g19. I'm at 1,000 rounds through it. Tulammo, wwb, monarch, brass, steel cased, 115 gr, 147 gr.

Been hit on the head two, maybe three times with spent brass. Zero failures to feed, eject etc.

It's been flawless and I love it.
CNZ302
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2012 11:47:59 PM
[Last Edit: 6/9/2012 11:49:08 PM by CNZ302]
I have two G19's gen 4. One in the "problem time" and one recent. Neither with a problem whatsoever. Just put 1000 rounds through the "problem one" last weekend with no brass to the face. It does have the new ejector and spring but before I changed it out I had about 1500 rounds through it without a single hiccup. I have had ONE piece of brass hit my head but I don't call that a problem as the gun functioned fine. I had more brass hitting me with the XD than the Glock.

Total rounds through both Glocks is now upwards of 4000 rounds with the ONE piece of brass hitting me. Ejection is strong and in one area.

Youtube - Glock 19 mag dump, Gen 4

Watch the brass in the video.
Kristofer_G
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/11/2012 12:39:50 PM
[Last Edit: 6/11/2012 12:58:31 PM by Kristofer_G]
Originally Posted By CNZ302:
I have two G19's gen 4. One in the "problem time" and one recent. Neither with a problem whatsoever. Just put 1000 rounds through the "problem one" last weekend with no brass to the face. It does have the new ejector and spring but before I changed it out I had about 1500 rounds through it without a single hiccup. I have had ONE piece of brass hit my head but I don't call that a problem as the gun functioned fine. I had more brass hitting me with the XD than the Glock.

Total rounds through both Glocks is now upwards of 4000 rounds with the ONE piece of brass hitting me. Ejection is strong and in one area.

Youtube - Glock 19 mag dump, Gen 4

Watch the brass in the video.

LOL. Are we watching the same video? While empties are clearing the gun, this is not "strong ejection". Ejection path is too far to the rear. The empties are falling straight down in line with your feet, maybe 3-4 feet from the gun. This is what ejection from a Gen.3 19 is supposed to look like. Week hand, week hold, week ammo and still ejection path is perpendicular to the gun and twice the distance seen in your video. There is a systemic ejection issue with Gen.4 and new production Gen.3 Glock 9mms.
CNZ302
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/12/2012 1:16:01 AM
Originally Posted By Kristofer_G:
LOL. Are we watching the same video? While empties are clearing the gun, this is not "strong ejection". Ejection path is too far to the rear. The empties are falling straight down in line with your feet, maybe 3-4 feet from the gun. This is what ejection from a Gen.3 19 is supposed to look like. Week hand, week hold, week ammo and still ejection path is perpendicular to the gun and twice the distance seen in your video. There is a systemic ejection issue with Gen.4 and new production Gen.3 Glock 9mms.

My Gen 3 was no stronger than that and it is an older one. No worries here either way, does the brass eject out of the chamber? Yes. Do I care if it has to hit the guy 4 lanes over to be considered "up to standard"? Nope. I don't. The gun works and that is all I care about.

I don't know where this perceived "standard" of what an ejection pattern should look like.
CNZ302
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/12/2012 1:18:07 AM
Also, why does it matter if it ejects at 3 o'clock or 4 o'clock? It isn't hitting me. Your gen 3 doesn't look like it shoots any farther than mine.

Have you even shot a gen 4?
jukeboxx13
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/12/2012 1:22:38 AM
no gen 4 glocks are not having any problems. check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTGC0Lo2JgE
slanky
Muad'Dib
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/12/2012 9:33:29 AM

Originally Posted By ZombieKiller25:

Same here.
"Hollowpoint like a mothafucka..." - Tupac
NRA Endowment Member http://www.nra.org/
Member AZ Citizen's Defense League http://www.azcdl.org/
  Previous Page
Page:  / 5