Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 8:22:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe Glock started having problems when they switched to the lci extractor. Could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Anyone kind of wondering why we haven't seen any magazine or even well known youtube reviewer bring up the issue of the 9mm Glocks?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:04:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm glad I read this thread!!

I FINALLY bought my first Glock yesterday and ended up getting the Gen 3 Glock 19.

The guy working the counter said "good choice" when I chose the Gen 3 over the Gen 4 he had me look at also.  I assume he might have meant it was a more proven generation but I didn't ask.  (This thread made me pick the Gen 3.)

After all these years I finally have that ugly plastic gun!!
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:23:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe Glock started having problems when they switched to the lci extractor. Could be wrong though.

In my humble opinion, you are. I own three flawless LCI 9mm GEN3 Glocks

HTR.

I've seen 2 that exhibit the same issues as the gen4 guns did, and own one of them.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 7:32:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, I thought I had settled on buying a G19 in the next week or two but now I don't know. The last thing I need is another lemon
gun(would be my third or forth).

Someone asked earlier but I didn't see an answer: What time frame of manufacture has questionable reliability? Affected prefixes?
Quoted:

I FINALLY bought my first Glock yesterday and ended up getting the Gen 3 Glock 19.

The
guy working the counter said "good choice" when I chose the Gen 3 over
the Gen 4 he had me look at also.  I assume he might have meant it was a
more proven generation but I didn't ask.  (This thread made me pick the
Gen 3.)

Please let us know if you have any issues. My understanding is that newly produced Gen 3s are also having issues.

Link Posted: 7/8/2012 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a Gen 4 19 about 4 weeks ago and had 0 issues with it. Put about 600 rounds through it without one misfire.

I just sold it to go to a smaller gun for my wife
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Apex tactical is coming out with an extractor that when combined with the new Glock ejector and RSA should return Glock to perfection.

There are some videos up on youtube showing the new Apex Extractor and it looks pretty darn good.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I can definitely see where a better extractor would help the issue. I did an extractor swap on a few of mine, the problems I had were fixed immediately with a "proven" extractor from earlier gen guns. Very cool.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Check out this video with the Apex Extractor being tested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYsHuLC0Kyg

I'm really excited about this extractor from Apex. Once it comes out my reservations about buying a new Gen 4 will be a thing of the past and I'll take the plunge.

Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:04:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Please let us know if you have any issues. My understanding is that newly produced Gen 3s are also having issues.

Update:

First off I am a bit of a whacko and usually upgrade guns based on what other members say they think might be good, etc.

So, I got a stainless steel recoil rod and attached a standard 18lb spring to it.

I also installed a Lone Wolf 3.5lb connector and a comp spring plus, I put a LaRue "beavertail" add-on on the backstrap.

Went shooting yesterday and shot 100 rounds of cheap 115 grain FMJ ammo.

There were no in the face ejections, no failure to feeds or extract but two ejections went over my head.   (The gun has the "336" ejector.)

Might have been the way I was holding the gun.  These two ejections that went over my head occurred during a fairly rapid fire of a few rounds.

I was happy with how the gun operated, etc.

I repeat, there were no ejections into my face.  Other than the two over my head, the rest went to the right and seemed to be where you would ordinarily expect ejections to go with a semi-auto pistol.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Update:
snip

update update: issues are now fixed on my 11/11 gen3 19. I tried a lone wolf 40 cal extractor with the stock extractor spring and it's gone 600 rounds this last weekend without any failures or blood coming from my face. Thanks for nothing, glock.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

f

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tough to say. I can speak to my experience.

I had a 2010 Gen4 19 and it was one of the worst guns I've ever owned. On the 3rd trip back to Glock, they replaced it with a 2012 gun and it's been flawless. So, in my case they've improved.

Replacement Video

That second video of your wife getting hit with every case needs to be watched by everyone saying that there are no problems.

http://youtu.be/iQlkGPnOSAc

I count 15 rounds. Thirteen fly back at 6 o'clock and twelve of those hit her hear or face.

That's his wife?

WTF is he doing on arfcom? He needs to go and reproduce vigorously.

Believe me––-this is going on frequently Thanks.

Hot and good with a rifle (wedding night):

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/DSCF5035.jpg

watch this video

1000 round test g19 gen 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tlKjrOi2zo

The only weird ejection was with 115 gr American Eagle second mag. Rest was flying perfectly. But his form is perfect whenever he is shooting. Limp wrist must be a factor in the ejection straight back
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I am thinking about taking the plunge on a 4th Gen G-19.  Anyone tell me what the date range is to stay away from?  Or is there any idea?  Unfortunately right now I don't have the option of getting a Gen 3 gun.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd say the R's and the S prefixes are the problem ones. My TFV gen 4 26 is GTG. Good luck
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd say the R's and the S prefixes are the problem ones. My TFV gen 4 26 is GTG. Good luck

Thanks..
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Everyone I have talked to in person loves their Gen 4's.   The shops can not keep the G17s in stock.  

My guess is that if you are still having problems, it is internet related.  

"T" serial number gen 4
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have a R gen 4 34,and a S gen 3 19,both have been fine out of the box.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The guy working the counter said "good choice" when I chose the Gen 3 over the Gen 4 he had me look at also.  I assume he might have meant it was a more proven generation but I didn't ask.  (This thread made me pick the Gen 3.)

Just wondering why did you get the 19 over the 17? congrats btw.
Link Posted: 7/19/2012 3:12:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just wondering why did you get the 19 over the 17? congrats btw.

Just the size.

Thought it would be better for concealed carry.

I had nothing against the 17 though other than I want to conceal carry the 19 sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/19/2012 3:42:29 AM EDT
[#23]
bought my Gen 4 april of 2011. probably has about 2500-3000 rounds through it. mainly Tula steel case. I have had ZERO issues with it. and only cleaned it twice. runs like a champ, and is pretty accurate as well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2012 7:27:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lemme guess, RUM?

Mine is GTG as well.

Link Posted: 7/19/2012 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lemme guess, RUM?

Mine is GTG as well.

I have had one RXX and one SXX, both G19's and both 100% so far.
Link Posted: 7/19/2012 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a late 2011 Gen4 and it's been perfect. Not a single issue yet...

+1
Not a single flaw at all in 600 rounds in mine. Been a sweet gun so far.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Bought one today.  Has the new spring and new ejector in it.  Serial starts out with TK.  

Paid $425 + tax.  Hopefully I can rip through a few boxes of ammo tomorrow and see how she does.

Link Posted: 7/21/2012 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Shot my Gen4-19 for the first time yesterday. Serial number starts with TC, test fire date of May 2012.

Cases to the face, and over the head. Federal Premium even ejects to the left a few times. Tried WWB, Federal Premium, Federal Estate, Blazer, Blazer Brass and Speer Gold Dots. Only the Speer ejected consistently to the right. No Jams of any kind but the pistol is more ammo sensitive then my Gen3. I can live with it for now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2012 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/21/2012 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#30]
i cant bring myself to spend 500 bones on a gen 4 thats gunna be a crap shoot. when they still make gen 3's.

altho that gen 4 grip is a small step up from the 3
Link Posted: 7/21/2012 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a gen2 that I haven't shot.  Should I expect any problems?  

Link Posted: 7/21/2012 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I have an SVY prefix FDE, have only shot it plinking and at steel more or less just checking cycling and as far as that goes, no issues.

Shot some hornady and pmc, no failures.. dont recall being hit by brass either..
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I know it was mentioned once earlier, but is it confirmed that new gen3s are having the same problem? My local shop has one of both and I'm inclined to go with the 3 if they for sure aren't having these issues.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I know it was mentioned once earlier, but is it confirmed that new gen3s are having the same problem? My local shop has one of both and I'm inclined to go with the 3 if they for sure aren't having these issues.

mine had issues for 6+ months until i finally installed a lone wolf 40 caliber extractor in my g19. test fire date is 11/11, don't know the serial prefix offhand. even the 30274 ejector didn't work.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#35]
It seems to me, from hours Of reading various forums etc, that the gen 3's, when they have issues, are much more difficult to remedy. The only gen 3 9mm I have is a rtf2 17. It has been gtg from when I bought it (second hand). My gen 4 19 had the issue, but was solved (so far) with the updated ejector. To really get to the bottom of things it would be helpful to distinguish the gen 3's from the gen 4's even though they both have erratic ejection in some cases.  The crappy thing is what works for some has no effect on others. In my case, all of them have functioned fine, and have been way more accurate than I.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:01:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Shot my Gen4-19 for the first time yesterday. Serial number starts with TC, test fire date of May 2012.

Cases to the face, and over the head. Federal Premium even ejects to the left a few times . Tried WWB, Federal Premium, Federal Estate, Blazer, Blazer Brass and Speer Gold Dots. Only the Speer ejected consistently to the right. No Jams of any kind but the pistol is more ammo sensitive then my Gen3. I can live with it for now.

And I thought I was the only one.  I had my godfather shoot the my gun while I watched and I saw a brass case fling to the left.  I stood there for a moment wondering what the heck I just saw.  

I fired another 100 through mine putting it to 200 rounds.  2 in the head 1 on the shoulder, rest to the right of my shoulder at the 4-5 o'clock position.
I even did this test as well.  FTE every time.  Sometimes it would fall through the mag well.   I'll be looking for the apex extractor when that comes out.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cases to the face, and over the head. Federal Premium even ejects to the left a few times . Tried WWB, Federal Premium, Federal Estate, Blazer, Blazer Brass and Speer Gold Dots. Only the Speer ejected consistently to the right. No Jams of any kind but the pistol is more ammo sensitive then my Gen3. I can live with it for now.

And I thought I was the only one.  I had my godfather shoot the my gun while I watched and I saw a brass case fling to the left.  I stood there for a moment wondering what the heck I just saw.  

I fired another 100 through mine putting it to 200 rounds.  2 in the head 1 on the shoulder, rest to the right of my shoulder at the 4-5 o'clock position.
I even did this test as well.  FTE every time.  Sometimes it would fall through the mag well.   I'll be looking for the apex extractor when that comes out.

Yeah, I hope Apex hurries up and gets it out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I hope Apex hurries up and gets it out.

glock has done enough hurrying for everyone, I hope apex takes their time and gets it right.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#39]
FWIW, I bought a Glock 19 G4 serial number TKU last week.  Took it to the range with 115 grain Blazers today... 300 rounds without a single failure.  Gun ejected brass very forcefully. I am more than satisfied.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm still waiting to see all these "problems" with Gen 4 Glocks.  I have several with no issues, and actually prefer them to my Gen 3's.
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 5:34:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Mine has the ejection/extraction problems. I am impatiently waiting for Randy Lee's Apex extractor. I'm running the full Apex duty kit in my M&P. Good stuff!!!!

S/F

Al
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Bought one today.  Has the new spring and new ejector in it.  Serial starts out with TK.  

Paid $425 + tax.  Hopefully I can rip through a few boxes of ammo tomorrow and see how she does.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss19/southrnshooter/DSC_0824.jpg

Took it out last weekend and got the occasional casings to the face.  Ran 300 rounds through it of WWB and WPA.  Functioned 100% but eratic ejection.

Fast forward to today....   Installed a Gen 3 trigger and bar.  The one with no bump and smooth face.  Ran 300 more rounds through it and much more positive ejection.  No rounds anywhere near me.  Same 2 types of ammo.  Time will tell but I believe this may have solved my problem.  Could that little bump be slowing the slide down enough to cause these problems?  I am going to put a few hundred more through it and put on some Trijicons tomorrow.  If things go well tomorrow I will have enough faith in it to CCW.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#43]
are the gen 4's still having problems??? i am going to buy a glock 19 and was wondering if there fixed or not. i can get a gen 3 but i prefer the gen4
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
are the gen 4's still having problems??? i am going to buy a glock 19 and was wondering if there fixed or not. i can get a gen 3 but i prefer the gen4

I was in a local store that moves a lot of them yesterday and the clerk I was talking to said that yes, they were, and that he had had some customers even in the last few months come back complaining that they were having issues and had to send them to glock.  I'd be weary of the new gen 3's as well though
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I have an older Gen 3 that is 100%.  The more recent ones seem to be suffering the same issues.  If replacing the trigger bar is all that is needed to fix the Gen 4's, I am ok with doing that.  Mine already had the new ejector and recoil spring.   I really like the feel of this gun over my Gen 3.   I know you should NOT have to replace parts to get a Glock to run 100%, but apparently they have decided the bump on the safety lever is necessary in the 4's even though it was not in any of the earlier generations.  Cost me less than $20 and 15 minutes to replace it.

Every casing today landed 3-4 feet to my right and at about 4 o'clock.   I shot 50 rounds with the mag out of the gun and they all ejected to the same location.  Before this I had several fall back down through the mag well.

Link Posted: 7/29/2012 11:50:56 PM EDT
[#46]
I bought a G17 Gen4 a few weeks ago. It has a SVY prefix. So far not a single malfunction. I was ignorant about any Gen4 issues when I bought it. I hope that I remain ignorant about them if you catch my drift.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm still waiting to see all these "problems" with Gen 4 Glocks.  I have several with no issues, and actually prefer them to my Gen 3's.

Well. what are you waiting for?  Go out and play the Glock lottery again.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Cases to the face, and over the head. Federal Premium even ejects to the left a few times. Tried WWB, Federal Premium, Federal Estate, Blazer, Blazer Brass and Speer Gold Dots. Only the Speer ejected consistently to the right. No Jams of any kind but the pistol is more ammo sensitive then my Gen3. I can live with it for now.

UPDATE: Used my Gen4 for a Combative Pistol class this Sunday. Ran well for over 365 rounds of mostly the under powered Federal Premium. Still hitting me in the face every once in a while and even continues to eject to the left on occasion. No FTE or FTF so I'm not complaining. The only malfunction I had was my fault. I gripped it too high on my draw and got slide bite. Thumb skin was stuck so I had to rack slide to release it. Caused a failure to feed. Not the pistols fault. Overall it's growing on me.

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#49]
http://youtu.be/cbQr63WfLb8

i shot mine today with no issues at all everything went smooth for me out of 100 rounds 2 hit me in the head very happy with my purchase...
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#50]
I have a Glock 19 Gen4 serial # RXWxxx - I experienced a failure to eject on the very first round that I put in the chamber, but not a single hiccup since.  All my other pistols are full-sized with around 5" barrels, so I might not have had my grip right on the SOB.  After all, it has a small grip and I'm a pretty big guy.  

Have a good one
-B
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top