Site Notices
11/20/2014 4:05:39 PM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 12/31/2011 3:39:41 PM EST
A local gun shop has a glock 17 gen 4 for a pretty good price. I was reading reviews on the gun and I found a lot of negative feedback. My question is, what is ya'lls opinion?
Jinxsters
I see what you did there.
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/31/2011 4:04:37 PM EST
I hear a lot of bag things on the Recoil Spring, but I've never seen one myself have a problem. I have the Gen 4 Glock 22 and after that I put my Sig away, along with my S&W. I wouldn't have any other carry gun. I don't see how anyone can get into the Gen3 and below, you literally have to have the hand of an orangutan in order to grip it.
"I sent [these soldiers] here and asked them to go, [and] if they die there without me then would [that] I never again bear the title of king" ~ King Richard "The Lionheart"
gunner76
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/31/2011 5:45:45 PM EST
I have a Gen4 G17 with around 1300rds through it and I like it. I replaced both the RSA and the extractor. The new RSA didn't seem to make a difference, but it was free so I put it in anyway, the new extractor from Lone Wolf made a huge difference in how the casings were thrown from the gun. In total I think I've had about 3 stovepipes with the gun, one with some Hornandy 125gr HD loads and two with Fed Champion 115gr. The Hornandy malfunction happened before any mods were done and the Fed malfunctions happened after the new spring but before the new extractor. The gun has been flawless since the mods were done.
Saur
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/31/2011 6:09:57 PM EST
Give it a closer look at make sure it has the new ejector 'n rsa etc
bigkracka
Super Secret Squirrel
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/31/2011 7:27:59 PM EST
Gen 4 17 and 19 here with zero problems. Love the Gen4's, huge improvement over the Gen3's. The stippling, mag release, slim frame and RSA are nice touches. As usual people just repeat what they've heard on the net, most probably don't even own a Gen4.
oldschool63
No Beans in Chili
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/31/2011 8:08:04 PM EST
The latest RSA is marked 0-2-4 the new ejector is marked 30274. These parts seemed to have fixed the problems with the Gen 4 17

To the Lost

Never pick a fight with seven men if all you are packing is a six gun.
Stephen7942
LIVE FREE OR DIE
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/31/2011 9:57:34 PM EST
I own a glock 19 gen 4 and zero problems for me so far...
Proud Member of Team Ranstad .... The Fantastic Bastards
Tennessee Squire
Who Dat Nation!!!
mark996
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 1:01:46 AM EST
I'll be a new G4 17 owner on the 7th. Can't freakin wait.
colklink
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 3:09:45 AM EST
Originally Posted By bigkracka:
Gen 4 17 and 19 here with zero problems. Love the Gen4's, huge improvement over the Gen3's. The stippling, mag release, slim frame and RSA are nice touches. As usual people just repeat what they've heard on the net, most probably don't even own a Gen4.

I dont own a Gen 4 glock and probably never will. There have been enough first hand accounts of problems with the gen 4 9mm models that I know it was not just internet bullshit. A guy I know in real life that runs classes local has all but sworn off glocks and he used to drink deeply of the koolaid. Glocks used to have a rep for being able to be pulled out of the box new, lubed and shot with 100% reliability with almost any shit ammo. They were the AK of the handgun world. And IMO glock introduced changes with the Gen 4 to correct problems some were having with Gen 3 .40 cal models that fixed those but caused some initial problems in the 9mm models.

That said everyone knew it was only a matter of time before glock got it figured out and fixed. And hopefully they have now.
big_joe555
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 4:08:29 AM EST
How good is the price? I won't run out and buy out from under you.

Go to the counter, ask the guy if you can field strip the slide from frame or ask if he will. Inform him that Glock has a recall in place, and you want make sure the correct parts are in the gun.

Then two options:

First if it has correct parts (New rsa and ejector combo), and you like the price. Get it.

Second if it has the troublesome parts, give him some BS about having to send it in for the recall. or having to pay the expense of getting an armorer to update the gun. Ask to get the sticker price knocked down another $40-$50. You are offering to take a headache off their hands for them, but at a reduced price.

Lastly, if you buy it shoot it some before using it as self defense carry gun. Make sure its going to work. Also the orginal RSA was set up for higher pressure military/law enforcement ammunition. Powder puff loads like Fed Champion and WWB, aren't going to be the rounds I 'mgonna send at bad guys. I don't know of a single person going in harms way who takes for granted that their sidearm will 100% straight from the box. Test fire, and test frire with your chosen carry load.

Glock should have just updated the grip texture/back strap on the Gen 4 9mms, and left the RSA alone. But a stronger recoil spring in .40SW and .357SIG was long over due.
Suicycle
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 10:08:14 AM EST
Bought 2 new glocks since mid summer. Gen 4 34 first, wanted a gen 3 so it was an exact backup gun, and a gen 3 17 just before thanksgiving. I like the new textue of the gen 4, but add a backstrap so they all feel the same. The new 17 has odd ass ejection patterns, but runs like a top. BTW the new frames are not "slim" they are short.
bigkracka
Super Secret Squirrel
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 11:43:27 AM EST
Originally Posted By colklink:

I dont own a Gen 4 glock and probably never will. There have been enough first hand accounts of problems with the gen 4 9mm models that I know it was not just internet bullshit. A guy I know in real life that runs classes local has all but sworn off glocks and he used to drink deeply of the koolaid. Glocks used to have a rep for being able to be pulled out of the box new, lubed and shot with 100% reliability with almost any shit ammo. They were the AK of the handgun world. And IMO glock introduced changes with the Gen 4 to correct problems some were having with Gen 3 .40 cal models that fixed those but caused some initial problems in the 9mm models.

That said everyone knew it was only a matter of time before glock got it figured out and fixed. And hopefully they have now.

I marked out the bullshit. You don't even own one yet you want to REPEAT WHAT YOU'VE HEARD. lol
bigkracka
Super Secret Squirrel
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 11:45:39 AM EST
I handled my friends Gen4 21 last weekend, ordered mine Fri so it should be here to shoot next weekend. This is his second Gen4 21, zero issues. I expect my Gen4 21 will have no issues as well. The slimmer frame for the 21 was long overdue.
MPS
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 12:41:46 PM EST
I have a Gen 4 17 and a 19 as well as Gen 3 versions of the same pistols. My Gen 4's have been great, only 1 FTE on the 17 due to a "pfft" type ignition on one 147 gr. Federal Eagle round. I replaced the RSA's but never had any problems with the originals. Occasional misdirected brass in the face bur I intend to have the replacement 30274 ejectors installed. I like all my Glocks but prefer the feel of the Gen 4 grip.
RedBones
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 12:43:27 PM EST
I have a gen4 17 with a few hundred round's threw it, with no problems.
MaineAR
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 1:04:39 PM EST
I have a Glock 22 Gen4. It has the new RSA, however I didn't have any issues with the original. The new one does seem to be much better built to me. So far, I have 500 rounds through the gun....200 with the original RSA and 300 with the new one. I've had zero issues and really like the piece.

Now that it seems Glock has the issues resolved, I will purchase a Gen4 Glock 19 over the winter to compliment my Gen3 19 RTF2.
colklink
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 1:13:37 PM EST

I marked out the bullshit. You don't even own one yet you want to REPEAT WHAT YOU'VE HEARD. lol

Again as you seem to have a problem reading, a friend of mine that runs classes has seen tons of gen 4 glocks shit the bed This is a guy that has sung the praises of glocks for as long as I have known him, is a glock armorer and teaches a lot of CCW classes. I do not own one as I prefer the glocks that run and stick with the gen 3 models. They fit my hand well enough so I figure there is no need to change for something that may or may not work.

Again as reading aint your thing, I knew glock would eventually work out the bugs ( and there have been many ) with the gen 4 and it seems like they have. Reports of problems seem to be going away and reports like yours of them running 100% seem to be more common. Or because I read your first hand report on the internet should I assume you are full of shit
Jinxsters
I see what you did there.
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 4:07:04 PM EST

Again as you seem to have a problem reading, a friend of mine that runs classes has seen tons of gen 4 glocks shit the bed This is a guy that has sung the praises of glocks for as long as I have known him, is a glock armorer and teaches a lot of CCW classes. I do not own one as I prefer the glocks that run and stick with the gen 3 models. They fit my hand well enough so I figure there is no need to change for something that may or may not work.

Again as reading aint your thing, I knew glock would eventually work out the bugs ( and there have been many ) with the gen 4 and it seems like they have. Reports of problems seem to be going away and reports like yours of them running 100% seem to be more common. Or because I read your first hand report on the internet should I assume you are full of shit

Cool I have a lot of buddies with the new Gen 4 9mm's and they've never had a problem with theirs. Once again it's your friend and they might be biased, because they love their gen 3's which is fine (I just don't have the hand of an orangutan in order to hold one properly) unless you actually see one yourself it's just heresay, imo.
"I sent [these soldiers] here and asked them to go, [and] if they die there without me then would [that] I never again bear the title of king" ~ King Richard "The Lionheart"
bigbear713
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/2/2012 10:27:52 AM EST
Thank you for the replies guys. Where would be the best place to get the new ejector from? Any vendors on here ya'll recommend?
Tzuriz
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/2/2012 10:48:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By bigbear713:
Thank you for the replies guys. Where would be the best place to get the new ejector from? Any vendors on here ya'll recommend?

I'm pretty sure that Glock will send the new ejector to a Certified Glock Armorer for installation, or you can send it back to Glock to have them install it. As far as I know, the 30274 ejector is not being sold by 3rd party vendors...yet.
bigbear713
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/4/2012 3:18:02 PM EST
I bought it! I have a new toy. RSA reads 0-4-2. 0 is to the left, 4 on the bottom, and 2 to the right. Took it apart last night and the extractor had the number 1 on it. Nothing else. I will take it to the range and put one hundred rounds through it this weekend and give ya'll guys an update on how it shoots.
oldschool63
No Beans in Chili
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/4/2012 4:04:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By bigbear713:
I bought it! I have a new toy. RSA reads 0-4-2. 0 is to the left, 4 on the bottom, and 2 to the right. Took it apart last night and the extractor had the number 1 on it. Nothing else. I will take it to the range and put one hundred rounds through it this weekend and give ya'll guys an update on how it shoots.

Look at the number on the ejector not the extractor.

To the Lost

Never pick a fight with seven men if all you are packing is a six gun.
Swank45
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/4/2012 5:36:37 PM EST
I got the Gen 4 G19 in September and it has the "336" extractor in it. I've shot over 500 rounds through it and other than getting hit in the head once in the first mag have had zero issues. Haven't had a single problem with it.
mark996
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/5/2012 12:29:04 AM EST
Keep coming back to this thread. Saturday I'll be the new owner for a G4 17.
SPOII
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/5/2012 4:19:39 AM EST
I have an G4 M17 early gun and zero issues. Maybe there were teething problems on the initial Gen 4 guns, very un-Glock like. Lots of internet posting of problems, but the internet has a way of magnifying issues. Of course if it's your issue withe a brand new 600.00 firearm, it's a big problem. They seem to be fine now and the problems are fixable. I also have an early Kahr PM 9 that's run great from day 1.
Linksrds
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/5/2012 5:46:31 AM EST
Just picked up a Gen4 17 to keep my Gen 3 19 company...I absolutlely love it. Checked with Glock warranty and there was the RSA already in my pistol at time of mfg.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2