Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2011 8:43:32 AM EDT
At least one round out of every mag flies back and smacks me right between the eyes. I have tried different ammo and there seems to be no pattern with this. I have heard this was a common problem but my G17 never done this. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Just wear eye protection.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Some of the late GEN 3 G19's & GEN 4 G19's have had issues with bad extractors, ejectors & recoil spring assemblies (G4). Go over to glocktalk, there's a go-zillion threads about these issues.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#3]
My Gen3 G19 did that once in awhile until I changed the recoil spring...
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#4]
In before "it's the ammo" posts.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Yea.... it's not the ammo but the kool-aid drinkers will all be here shortly to tell you it's your limp noodle wrist or 'weak range ammo'... BS is all I can say, it's the damn extractors, some are correct and some are way out of spec...

Here's a thread that morphed into an extractor discussion:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_13/115473_Gen_3_or_4_Glock_26_.html

Basically order a proper machined tool steel extractor from Lone Wolf, the Glock MIM extractors are hit or miss for quality anymore...

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=155971&CAT=136  they show out of stock but order it anyway.  I ordered 4 more early last week and they're shipped and on their way as of yesterday afternoon...

Link Posted: 9/15/2011 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yea.... it's not the ammo but the kool-aid drinkers will all be here shortly to tell you it's your limp noodle wrist or 'weak range ammo'... BS is all I can say, it's the damn extractors, some are correct and some are way out of spec...

Here's a thread that morphed into an extractor discussion:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_13/115473_Gen_3_or_4_Glock_26_.html

Basically order a proper machined tool steel extractor from Lone Wolf, the Glock MIM extractors are hit or miss for quality anymore...

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=155971&CAT=136  they show out of stock but order it anyway.  I ordered 4 more early last week and they're shipped and on their way as of yesterday afternoon...

This. There was much discussion over at GlockTalk about this. A few of the guys did some testing/polishing and more testing and pretty much solved the problem you describe  or ordering the LoneWolf one when they could get it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:09:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Apparently, your forehead is too big
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Apparently, your forehead is too big

beat me to it!  you don't have a forehead, you've got a fivehead!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Extractor.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Lone Wolf says that is cast ...
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#12]
+1 on the extractor.  I had this problem (along with stovepiping) and everyone told me it was limpwristing or ammo choice.  It was neither.

I got an older extractor from a 2nd gen, IIRC, and it immediately and completely solved the problem.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Actually, it may not just be the extractor...the "newest" fix is bending/filing the ejector as well (at least for the Gen 4).  Supposedly, this will be the next "voluntary" recall.  This along with whatever revision of the RSA happens to be the most current this month.

Glock = FAIL.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Lone Wolf says that is cast ...

Correct, investment cast A1 tool steel... I should not have said 'machined', that was incorrect terminology on my part...

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Limp wristing is a possibility.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm no metallurgist but a quick internet search shows that there is no A-1 tool steel. Perhaps they meant O-1 or A-2.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm no metallurgist but a quick internet search shows that there is no A-1 tool steel. Perhaps they meant O-1 or A-2.

You're correct, I just did a Google myself and it seems A1 doesn't really exist... A2 seems to be a rather commonly available air hardened tool steel.  I guess whatever grade of tool steel it actually is, I know the Lone Wolf extractors work just like the old Glock extractors from several years back and I guess that's what counts...  

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#19]
My gen3 g19 will do it maybe once every 500 rounds or so.  And I can't recall my gen3 rtf2 g17 ever doing it, but I don't have near as many rounds through it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Limp wristing is a possibility.

No limp wristing here, I recently sand bagged the gun and it still does it. Probably happens once out of every magazine.
Still looking for a good solution for this besides "wear eye protection/hat". Granted in an actual gun fight I would not be standing still long enough for the casing to hit me and it would be the least of my worries but for training purposes dodging a spent casing should not be on my list of things to do.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Getting hit in the head/face with hot brass randomly once per magazine works counter to not flinching during the trigger press, I would imagine. I would want to remedy that issue as well.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#22]
A lot of recent production Glocks, both Gen3 and Gen4, have erratic ejection. Glock has a new ejector to fix the problem but they're only using it in Gen4. I have a Gen3 G27 that has the same problem and I'm going to wait until the newest Gen4 trigger housings with the new ejector are being sold by online retailers. I'm going to pull the new ejector out of the Gen4 trigger housing and put it into the Gen3 trigger housing for my Gen3 G27. It could be quite a while before the new ejector becomes available by that route, the retailers have to sell their old stock with the old ejectors before they'll order more and there's no telling when Glock will start selling the trigger housings with the new ejector either. I'm just waiting for someone to post on one of the forums that they ordered the Gen4 trigger housing and it came with the new ejector.

The 9mm ejector, stamped 30274: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1371946
The .40 ejector, no number yet: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17999796&postcount=81
(scroll down a couple of pictures)
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#23]
The gun is telling you that you should've had a V-8.  How many times does it have to hit you before you get the hint?  
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 3:49:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Is this you?

Link Posted: 10/23/2011 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm planning on going with the Lone Wolf Extractor or calling Glock to see if they can help. I really don't like having to ship my pistols in for work because I have done this before with a couple pistols in the past and they always come back with the same problems or worse.

Anyone else tried the Lone Wolf Extractor and had good results?
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 11:52:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Early on people were having mostly good results with the LoneWolf extractor, but not now. When LoneWolf started selling their extractors they had the 9mm and .40 extractors mixed up with each other, so the people who were having success were actually using .40 extractors in their 9mm Glocks. LoneWolf has since corrected that error and the actual 9mm extractor is being sold as the 9mm extractor now, since the correction every single person who had erratic ejection with the factory extractor had even worse ejection with the LWD 9mm extractor. If your LWD extractor has the "3" marking it's for 9mm, if it has the "4" marking it's for .40.

You might try a .40 extractor and see if ejection gets any better. The only difference between it and the 9mm extractor are that the 9mm extractor has a parallel claw and the .40 extractor claw is tilted 5 degrees to raise the case mouth earlier during ejection.

If your G19 is a Gen4 you can call Glock and tell them what you're experiencing and that you want the new ejector. They'll tell you to send the gun in to them so they can install it, and they should offer a prepaid shipping label but if they don't you should ask for one. If it's a Gen3, you're left to try to fix it yourself. I have a Gen3 G27 that has this problem and I'm going to wait until the newest Gen4 trigger housings sold by online retailers have the new ejector installed. I'll buy one, remove the ejector and put it into the Gen3 trigger housing for my G27, then hopefully that'll fix my gun. It's nice that Glock is fixing the problem for Gen4 owners but us Gen3 owners who have the same problem are on our own for now it seems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top