Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/1/2017 5:22:27 PM EDT
How much of a disadvantage is it to look tactical as a concealed carrier, if at all?

I was once told by a cop I look like I am an off-duty cop. However, I'm not sure if that would make me a more likely target, or if it would make bad guys more likely to avoid me. Furthermore, when bad guys do decide to shoot a place up I'm not sure how many are smart enough to try to see if anyone in there is wearing boots and cargo pants.

What do you think? Any examples of this mattering?
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Shitbags tend to be very alert. Or rather, often people who are shitbags are more alert.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Not going to say that I have an answer here, but I have thought about the same thing.  As a CCW holder, it is fun sometimes to try to determine who around you might also be carrying.  Similarly to your point, I always laugh a little on the inside when at USPSA or other shooting events and everyone else is wearing the uniform.  You know what I am talking about, 5.11 pants/shorts, shirts assorted from "tactical" polos to "I have a bunch of company names on my shirt like I am sponsored or something...", and lastly but definitely not leastly, Salomon shoes.

But back to your point, that everytime I see someone out in the wild wearing 5.11 pants/shorts or Salomon shoes, They immediately get a check in my box for "possible carrier".  And who is to say that someone looking to do harm isn't doing the same.  Take that as you will, I am sure that some people will say that it will be a great deterrent, but others will say that it could make you a target.

FWIW, I don't have any fancy "tactical" clothing as I have never seen the benefit over less expensive, normal clothing.  If I want extra pockets on my shorts they are called cargo shorts and literally everyone makes them, even fancy places like Banana Republic.  I am sure that someone will post something hissing at me and tell a story about how their tactical ripstop non-iron pants saved their life once...  I guess I am just a fan of "if it is stupid but works, it isn't stupid".  So regular clothes for me.  The most I will do is wear my old USMC boots to the range.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#3]
About the extent of my Tactical wear is my belt that is hidden and my Adidas cross training trail shoes.

A lot of times when I see the guys wearing all the Tactical clothing it reminds me of the guys in high school who were posers or just trying to hard.  I work with a guy like this who wear 5.11 pants, military style boots, carrys a Tactical pen that he flaunts everywhere, and always something new.  He also weighs pretty close to 250 and is about 5'8".
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Its a double factor, yes you could be targeted because of the perceived resistance you may put up. Or it may help you avoid trouble because of the perceived resistance you may put up. You could always wear one of those dude rompers if you wanna look lefty.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not going to say that I have an answer here, but I have thought about the same thing.  As a CCW holder, it is fun sometimes to try to determine who around you might also be carrying.  Similarly to your point, I always laugh a little on the inside when at USPSA or other shooting events and everyone else is wearing the uniform.  You know what I am talking about, 5.11 pants/shorts, shirts assorted from "tactical" polos to "I have a bunch of company names on my shirt like I am sponsored or something...", and lastly but definitely not leastly, Salomon shoes.
View Quote
Those shirts are great on a hot humid day.....and the logos don't cost anymore . Salomon shoes I consider PPE if you're trying to go fast because they do help you maintain stability. They hold so well that I think they helped to cause my knee problems.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I look at tactical cloths the same way I look at spandex bike apparel. Gay. 
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#7]
The dreaded "shoot me first" vest.

No thanks.  I look pretty non-tactical out in public.  Jeans, Carhartts, or something like that.  I just work for a living or got back from hiking.  Nothing tactical here, move along.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Just wear a pocket T, with some duluth firehose pants. add a pair of suspenders. you get all your tacticool pockets, but look like a farmer.  (and the suspenders keep your rosco from sagging your pants.)
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I tink you'd look silly.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Cops and protective service people will scan people with their eyes to see if they are carrying weapons. That is their job. The rest of the population have no idea if joe doe carry a gun. I have time where half of my pistol (OWB) was showing and not one person notice it. A lot of people are concern about printing but I can tell you it is overblown. People general don't move their eyes toward people wristband and if they do they think it is a cell phone or some kind of tools and not a gun.

Don't believe me? Try carrying a full size pistol in OWB for a few weeks. It is the person carrying the gun that is subconscious of himself carrying a gun. The general population will have no idea you're carrying a gun.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Only time I wear 5.11 shit is at work, other than that it's jeans and a tshirt along with hiking boots.  I love the 300# guy in his XXXL 5.11 shirt and matching pants.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I am a former Marine. OIF deployments. I can smoke a 2 gun competition.

I'll bet you a thousand dollars that no one ever looks at the skinny younger guy wearing J Crew and thinks "He's got a gun and can use it".

I like it that way. YMMV.

I carry a gun in order to be safe while living the life that I want to live, but it seems many folks carry a gun merely because that is the life they want to live.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well, I am gay myself so perhaps it would help me attract people to mate with.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:04:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Its a double factor, yes you could be targeted because of the perceived resistance you may put up. Or it may help you avoid trouble because of the perceived resistance you may put up. You could always wear one of those dude rompers if you wanna look lefty.
View Quote
I have to admit a dude romber would not be very suspicious.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:12:28 PM EDT
[#15]
No-one, not even my friends have any idea.  I wear a boonie hat, black Sitka zip pullover, Dickies blue jeans and Asolo hiking boots.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:15:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Myself?   I carry concealed and make it discreet.  

I have a pile of hats and t-shirts from Larue, Noveske, Nightforce, Aimpoint, holster makers, Hornady, etc.

I only wear it at the range or when I'm flying.  

The 5.11 crowd always struck me as dipshits.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:36:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm a fan of football and hockey jerseys. Could conceal a desert eagle,  and nobody would suspect.   They just think you're a tool for wearing a jersey.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:40:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hahahahaha!  Best reply of this thread yet. 
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:58:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not to be a stickler for details but two men getting it on is not technically "mating".... just saying.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I carry a gun in order to be safe while living the life that I want to live, but it seems many folks carry a gun merely because that is the life they want to live.
View Quote
It's kinda like the Salt Life stickers. Guys can't just enjoy fishing without letting everyone else know.

With carrying. I just carry. It's like putting on my shoes. It's not about enjoyment, a statement, or whatever.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for all the responses.

Lately I've found cargo pants very comfortable but I think I am going to as a practice start trying to look less tactical to blend in better, and keep the more tactical clothes for fishing and hunting trips.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I wear cargo pants whether I'm carrying or not.  No place to put my wallet and cell phone and I'm not going to put it in my back pocket because it screws my back up.

And fuck jeans.  

Generic cargo pants + button up shirt + hiking boots isn't all that tacticool.  Around here, it's "dressing well."  To fit in as a "working stiff" around here, I'd have to wear dirty jeans, straw cowboy hat, belt buckle the size of a spartan shield and cowboy boots.  No thanks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#24]
I read this as you looking like a guy I went to school with. He was eat up with military just about everything.
The look is fine if you're 8.
I hope I have the wrong impression.
Lots of people wear cargo pants, it is one of the best sellers at many clothing stores. Add a vest and or a pair of 5.11 or Magnums, then you have a spectacle.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No-one, not even my friends have any idea.  I wear a boonie hat, black Sitka zip pullover, Dickies blue jeans and Asolo hiking boots.
View Quote
Id prolly shoot you first just for wearing a boonie cap, not necessarily because I thought you were carrying
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#26]
I purposely dress down while off duty. Heck, it's Florida. Everyone dresses like they are on holiday or just woke up.

I sometimes feel like I'm working Narcotics again with what I wear.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#27]
I see guys dressed like that in a CCW state and 1) assume they probably have a gun and 2) wonder which IT department they work in.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

But back to your point, that everytime I see someone out in the wild wearing 5.11 pants/shorts or Salomon shoes, They immediately get a check in my box for "possible carrier".
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I read this as you looking like a guy I went to school with. He was eat up with military just about everything.
The look is fine if you're 8.
I hope I have the wrong impression.
Lots of people wear cargo pants, it is one of the best sellers at many clothing stores. Add a vest and or a pair of 5.11 or Magnums, then you have a spectacle.
View Quote
Agreed.  The vest or combat boots are the big give away.  The rest of it just yuppie REI outdoorsy.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#30]
I wear lightweight 5.11 cargo pants at work because it's hot as fuck outside and I can  carry shit that I need.  CCW is forbidden though.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I wear the hell out of the khaki color 5.11 shorts in the summer... with t-shirts or nondescript polo and running shoes.

I've never had anyone notice I'm carrying... at least not obviously.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if they were open carrying?
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I own 5.11 boots cause I like the side zips and work requires safety toes, and wear a Larue hat cause I think they're damn comfortable. Otherwise blue jeans and tee shirts. I wear that whether I'm carrying or not so hopefully that doesn't make me more of a target.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fabulous?
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No place to put my wallet and cell phone and I'm not going to put it in my back pocket because it screws my back up.
View Quote
Carrying a gun doesn't screw your back up?
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I wear under armour storm pants and regular tees all the time i hate denim especially in the texas heat
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:33:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Carrying a gun doesn't screw your back up?
View Quote
A wallet in your back pocket will put uneven pressure on your spine. If you sit down with a gun around 3 o'clock it's on your side so won't generally put pressure on your spine like a wallet would
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:50:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Button snap long sleeve shirt, combed rapidly greying hair, 501's, Double H boots (not square toe, those are gay), and a IWB 1911. I dress the same way I did before I started carrying everyday. I wear a Geissele hat sometimes, but nobody knows what the big "G" stands for, they probably think it's a minor league ball team or something.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:59:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

A wallet in your back pocket will put uneven pressure on your spine. If you sit down with a gun around 3 o'clock it's on your side so won't generally put pressure on your spine like a wallet would
View Quote
I've been carrying my wallet in a front pocket for some time now, but I don't recall having any issues when it was in a back pocket.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 5:52:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've been carrying my wallet in a front pocket for some time now, but I don't recall having any issues when it was in a back pocket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depending on how big your wallet is and how bad your back is, + how long you sit I could see potential for problems.

My wallet is for cards only so it's very thin. I also don't sit much so I don't have much to worry about. Ymmv
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 6:06:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 6:14:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Depending on how big your wallet is and how bad your back is, + how long you sit I could see potential for problems.

My wallet is for cards only so it's very thin. I also don't sit much so I don't have much to worry about. Ymmv
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 6:22:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I wear cargo pants whether I'm carrying or not.  No place to put my wallet and cell phone and I'm not going to put it in my back pocket because it screws my back up.

And fuck jeans.  

Generic cargo pants + button up shirt + hiking boots isn't all that tacticool.  Around here, it's "dressing well."  To fit in as a "working stiff" around here, I'd have to wear dirty jeans, straw cowboy hat, belt buckle the size of a spartan shield and cowboy boots.  No thanks.
View Quote
I generally do the cargo pants as well. With either a button up shirt/t-shirt.

Don't like jeans? I haven't worn them for nearly a year either. Just not comfortable I guess. Haven't missed them.

Though if you don't like jeans. Try fabric softener. I once accidentally washed some jeans with a cup of fabric softener instead of detergent. Those fucking jeans were lamb-soft for months.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#46]
On occasion I'll wear Taclite Pros or Apex pants from 5.11 along with a thin cotton Under Armour shirt and Merrell boots or Salomon shoes while carrying IWB. Other times it's American Eagle jeans, square toed boots or the above mentioned footwear, and the same type of shirt or a button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up. On a couple occasions I've gotten "The Nod" from uniformed cops, but I've never had a negative experience while carrying out and about. In wintertime I've worn my Taclite Pros, Danner Acadias, a knit beanie and a brown Wolverine jacket. The G19 worn OWB doesn't even have a footprint, but the pseudo outdoors tactical clothes kind of become the norm when it's cold here, so I don't think I register on anyone's radar.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Tribal identity is a basic part of human nature. Some folk who identify as members of the 'shooting' or 'tactical' community see it as a tribal thing, and it shows up in how they dress, wear their hair, etc. Not terribly different from a sociological perspective from guys who wear jerseys to represent "their" team or such. I think some folk can carry it to silly extremes, but I can't say that I worry about it much myself.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#48]
I just like my 5.11 stryke pants and boots bc they are comfortable. Cooler than jeans and provide some stretch.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#49]
If you see me in my "tactical" outfit ( A pair of beat to shit boots, jeans and a tshirt) always know that I am concealing an expanding  thick penetration weapon inside my waistband.

Usually I have no problems in jeans and a tshirt with a P07 and a reload or my Shield .45 with a reload. On the rare days I wear shorts I use the LCP. I don't dress the "part" or advertise  that I am anything other than a typical west TX dude out doing mundane crap.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#50]
removed
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top