Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2017 5:41:28 PM EDT
Does anyone carry there 1911 in a kydex or hybrid holster like an mtac? Obviously for concealed carry I'm sure law enforcement may use kydex. I am torn on waiting for a VM2 or a TTGueather holster for my new Colt Combat Commander or just buying an mtac for it. It just seems wrong to put a Colt or any 1911 in a kydex, almost like it was meant to have good quality leather around it. What should I do? I'm impatient as shit so I don't want to wait for a TTGueather at the moment and the VM2 is sold out at top gun supply. Meanwhile I know the MTAC would only take 7-10 days. Lol
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Kydex is better in every way compared to leather.  IWB kydex is even better... thinner, does not collapse, reholstering is smoother, draw is faster, no worries about sweating, cleaning is easier than leather, and kydex will not loosen up over time.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kydex is better in every way compared to leather.  IWB kydex is even better... thinner, does not collapse, reholstering is smoother, draw is faster, no worries about sweating, cleaning is easier than leather, and kydex will not loosen up over time.
View Quote
I agree. I carry in kydex OWB. I have or have had leather from Milt Sparks, TT Gunleather, and Kramer and I still prefer kydex. Leather looks nice, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of us do not carry 1911 handguns, grandpa. We are smart enough to know to carry a higher capacity handgun in an IWB holster with a couple spare mags.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
lol I bet I'm younger than you... I just like my 1911's. I have a G19 that gets part time carry duty. 1911 (even full size) is just easy to conceal. A lot thinner than my glock.

ETA: not to mention I carry 2 reloads for a total of 25 rounds with 1911. If I didn't get the situation squared away well before I expend that many rounds then I was somewhere I shouldn't have been.

ETA 2: what was your screen name before this one hkuspshooter?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I carry my 1911 in an M-Tac. Very comfortable. If I know I will be carrying for more than 12 hours, the M-Tac is the only holster I even think of. Belt is a Wilderness 5 Stitch. My 1911 is also a scandium frame, so it is somewhat light.
I have had the Milt Sparks VMII, TT gunleather Mikes special, Brigade M11, Raven OWB, etc. TT gunleather carried the best out of these. brigade was a piece of art, but for comfort always went to M-Tac.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:48:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm loving my black arch holsters, bought owb and iwb holsters for three guns now with a few more to go.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
lol I bet I'm younger than you... I just like my 1911's. I have a G19 that gets part time carry duty. 1911 (even full size) is just easy to conceal. A lot thinner than my glock.

ETA: not to mention I carry 2 reloads for a total of 25 rounds with 1911. If I didn't get the situation squared away well before I expend that many rounds then I was somewhere I shouldn't have been.

ETA 2: what was your screen name before this one hkuspshooter?
View Quote
First I have no issue with you carrying a 1911 you want to carry it great you are better off than most people in society who do not care.  But the item in red .... bad things happens even in the best places we expect nothing to happen.  Assholes walk into the most unsuspecting places and put good people in bad situations.  This is not exclusive to the ghetto and with today and the possibility of a few snackbars walking into a mall, theater, or restaurant I want more rounds in my side arm.  You may not have time to do a reload you may be stuck with what is in your sidearm and the whole ordeal could be over before you get a chance to reload.  I do not want to go to slide lock that fast personally.  Also kydex will give you fast draw especially from IWB.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

First I have no issue with you carrying a 1911 you want to carry it great you are better off than most people in society who do not care.  But the item in red .... bad things happens even in the best places we expect nothing to happen.  Assholes walk into the most unsuspecting places and put good people in bad situations.  This is not exclusive to the ghetto and with today and the possibility of a few snackbars walking into a mall, theater, or restaurant I want more rounds in my side arm.  You may not have time to do a reload you may be stuck with what is in your sidearm and the whole ordeal could be over before you get a chance to reload.  I do not want to go to slide lock that fast personally.  Also kydex will give you fast draw especially from IWB.
View Quote
I saw a study once where they determined that the average time between shots in a gunfight is a quarter of a second. It was a study of police and civilian shootings. You'll run a 1911 to slide lock in 2 seconds as compared to a Glock 17 in 5 seconds.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I saw a study once where they determined that the average time between shots in a gunfight is a quarter of a second. It was a study of police and civilian shootings. You'll run a 1911 to slide lock in 2 seconds as compared to a Glock 17 in 5 seconds.
View Quote
Not surprised I can empty my G17 or P-09 with 19+1 already pretty quickly running steel at a brisk pace.  My 1911 I can polish a mag off ridiculously fast.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#10]
If you like carrying a 1911 and like leather holsters the TT Gunleather may be worth the wait...It certainly was for me.
I understand the advantages of high capacity and all that, which I've tried along with kydex and hybrids but to each their own.
I've shot 1911's and cc'd small guns, large guns and in between for a long time and spent plenty on lots of holsters.
For me, a 1911 .45 is the most comfortable, if I have pants on I have a 4.25", mostly a DW Guardian in a TT XC Slim which Tim
gladly made at 30 degree's, the combo works for me
Just my opinion based on my experience, if you shoot a 1911 or a G19 well and want to edc that pistol in a specific holster, whatever
that may be, save yourself the bullshit and order it, forget about it and get by with something else for a few weeks until it shows up,
ymmv but a really good belt is well worth the expenditure as well.
Something you shoot well, carry comfortably and have on you is better than left in the car or at home because you're just going to the store
and that set up isn't comfortable.
By the way... TT Gunleather makes a really nice holster and Tim's great to deal with, should you go that route.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top