Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2017 1:37:54 PM EDT
I considered getting an inside the waste band left handed holster and sliding it on to my drivers door's lower storage area. It wouldn't be noticed when I open the provided I move it to my hip or leave it in the center counsel. Most of them have a curve built in to follow your form that may become problematic.

Ideally I would like something under the steering wheel, the dash or just ahead of the seat to my right so I could draw it quickly with my strong hand. I have seen several I like made specifically for Jeep owners. I have a 2016 Chevy 2500.

It's impossible to draw from my waste while wearing a seat belt. My first line of defense is the gas pedal, steering wheel and common sense. Having a concealed carry permit, but being unable to access it quickly seems like a waste of effort.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#1]
AIWB

Off body carry is a poor choice. If you must, use magnets.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 for AIWB.  VERY easy and quick access while seated with basically zero change in the normal draw stroke (other than dodging the steering wheel maybe)

I do carry off body in the car as i'm normally in and out of buildings that do not permit me to CCW.  I have an EDC bag that i can position where I can draw quickly. from next to the Driver's seat, but still allow me to grab the bag and exit the vehicle with the weapon in a split second if needed. If i'm in an accident, i do not know that it will remain in place.    I don't necessarily like this setup, but it is what my situation permits.

If I were to mount a holster in my car the way you mention, I would try 2 things first --   1: create a kydex wedge in a "V" shape that would hold the holster with tabs that would catch the lips of my door pocket when drawing so i could ensure the gun would clear the holster.  (I'm right handed, so this would mean a weak hand draw...don't like that idea)   2: I would get a couple straps around the piece of plastic trim that spans under the steering wheel and a horizontal ride molle holster with some sort of retention and mount it to those straps with rivets.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#4]
This might be what you SEEK.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting idea. If you don't mind getting into custom Kydex you could make one that's sized to wedge into the door pocket so it stays by friction.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I used industrial strength Velcro   ( not the stuff from Hobby Lobby) to secure a nylon holster inside my console. Works very well.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I think this is what you seek.

Armageddon Gear Pistol Pocket

Think of a velcro backed holster made to fasten inside a messenger bag or the like. The matching side is sticky backed and applied wherever you want to place the holster. You can remove the holster at will, and fasten it wherever you have matching velcro placed.

I've used this for a couple years now for a Glock 23 w/ TLR-1 and it has held up tremendously. No sagging from weight, velcro strap retention, and smooth draw. Without the light, the pistol will naturally cant a little forward because of the boxed design of the holster.

No screws, no muss, no fuss. I have taken off the sticky backed velcro from my car and it left no residue.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I use an universal holster that clips under my dash and goes in a lock box cabled to the seat when I am not in the truck. Below is a link to a similar holster to what I use but I bought mine at a gun show.

http://www.qmuniforms.com/gould-goodrich-ambidextrous-belt-slide-holster?PMSRCE=QMPLA&gclid=CIf_1vuSrdQCFQkMaQodTNANaA#.WTivNuvyuM8
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#10]
So, in order to take the conversation about off-body carry a bit further, especially in the context of vehicles, consider these points.

1) If you have to bail out of a car, anything not attached to you is not coming with you.

2) If you do manage to grab your gun, and the situation changes (deescalate) you have no where to put the gun. True story: About 8 years ago, I was in my POV and got pulled into a car chase. The BG car wrecked out, and I ended up chasing one of the dudes on foot for a few blocks (plain clothes). My gun was in the glove box, so I grabbed it when I bailed, but when I caught up to the dude, he wasn't armed. I had to fight him one handed and keep him from taking my gun, since I didn't have a way to stow the weapon. Now, obviously, you probably aren't foot chasing dudes, but the point stands that bailing out of a car with a pistola and no way to stow it could be a problem.

3) As was evident in the FBI Miami shootout, guns don't always stay put in the car where you want them.

Now, if off-body carry in the car is your only choice, which I can understand, just remember that it should be a really solid mount and have retention. It shouldn't be easily visible by folks walking by either, or in the case of a traffic stop.

Just a few considerations.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So, in order to take the conversation about off-body carry a bit further, especially in the context of vehicles, consider these points.

1) If you have to bail out of a car, anything not attached to you is not coming with you.

2) If you do manage to grab your gun, and the situation changes (deescalate) you have no where to put the gun. True story: About 8 years ago, I was in my POV and got pulled into a car chase. The BG car wrecked out, and I ended up chasing one of the dudes on foot for a few blocks (plain clothes). My gun was in the glove box, so I grabbed it when I bailed, but when I caught up to the dude, he wasn't armed. I had to fight him one handed and keep him from taking my gun, since I didn't have a way to stow the weapon. Now, obviously, you probably aren't foot chasing dudes, but the point stands that bailing out of a car with a pistola and no way to stow it could be a problem.

3) As was evident in the FBI Miami shootout, guns don't always stay put in the car where you want them.

Now, if off-body carry in the car is your only choice, which I can understand, just remember that it should be a really solid mount and have retention. It shouldn't be easily visible by folks walking by either, or in the case of a traffic stop.

Just a few considerations.
View Quote
I wear my holster always. I carry the firearm when not in my vehicle unless the venue prohibits it. The reason I want a truck/dash/seat/door mounted holster is because it's virtually impossible to draw my firearm (RS belt) with my seat belt attached.

I'm a retired federal employee (not law enforcement) with a CPL (Concealed Pistol License). I will only need my firearm in the event that I or someone in the community is in imminent danger. It's not likely to happen, but I want to ready if it does.

Being older I rarely venture out at night and then only to the store, dinner etc. I avoid bad sections of town even in the daytime. An once of prevention is better than a pound of cure.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I got an aftermarket seat back crap holder(water bottles, maps, ect ect) it has a perfect size pocket for a g26 in holster and I leave the 19 on hip. problem solved.  bonus it lets you buy another gun.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I wear my holster always. I carry the firearm when not in my vehicle unless the venue prohibits it. The reason I want a truck/dash/seat/door mounted holster is because it's virtually impossible to draw my firearm (RS belt) with my seat belt attached.

I'm a retired federal employee (not law enforcement) with a CPL (Concealed Pistol License). I will only need my firearm in the event that I or someone in the community is in imminent danger. It's not likely to happen, but I want to ready if it does.

Being older I rarely venture out at night and then only to the store, dinner etc. I avoid bad sections of town even in the daytime. An once of prevention is better than a pound of cure.
View Quote
Smart man by the sounds of it.

In that case, I'd say you're better off fixing your carry situation IMO.

Have you considered getting some reps in (dry fire of course) using a standardized method of draw in the car while belted up? We do it pretty regularly.

There is some good training out there on the subject as well.

This is from a vehicle defense class a few years back:

Drawing a Pistol in a Car | Defensive Pistol Tip from SIG SAUER Academy
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:30:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Condition 0 pistol clamp mount that I use to carry in my car.

Condition 0 Pistol Clamp Mount
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:26:59 AM EDT
[#15]
My car always has two handguns when I am driving. The one that is holstered to me from the 4:00 position and another that sits in my center console. Deploying it from the center console is super easy, super quick, and there is no comfort issues to be had because I don't like and never will appendix carry.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:14:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nevermind
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think this is what you seek.

Armageddon Gear Pistol Pocket

Think of a velcro backed holster made to fasten inside a messenger bag or the like. The matching side is sticky backed and applied wherever you want to place the holster. You can remove the holster at will, and fasten it wherever you have matching velcro placed.

I've used this for a couple years now for a Glock 23 w/ TLR-1 and it has held up tremendously. No sagging from weight, velcro strap retention, and smooth draw. Without the light, the pistol will naturally cant a little forward because of the boxed design of the holster.

No screws, no muss, no fuss. I have taken off the sticky backed velcro from my car and it left no residue.
View Quote
That velcro strap securing the pistol in the holster is full of fail.  Needs to be a snap-release.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:54:53 PM EDT
[#18]
OWB holster, ratchet strap around seat to secure holster just as you would with a belt.

Holster rides front right side of seat with shop rag tucked behind strap and over holster/gun for concealment.

Easy peasy.

ETA:
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Although I carry AIWB and access isn't bad, I still keep a 2nd gun in the center console.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 7:58:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I haven't found a solution that I like either... My car is a lease and I don't want to discuss the sticky (velcro) residue or drilled holes at turn in time.

Another consideration is that in Pennsylvania, you cannot openly carry a gun in a vehicle. So I will have to add some sort of bag or cover to it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:06:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OWB holster, ratchet strap around seat to secure holster just as you would with a belt.

Holster rides front right side of seat with shop rag tucked behind strap and over holster/gun for concealment.

Easy peasy.

ETA:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125658/rag2-156706.jpg
View Quote
I love that idea!!!

This Gcode RTI Vehicle Mount is what I got for my vehicle but now I wish I had thought of your idea before dropping cash on mine.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Im interested in this one click
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top