Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2017 8:54:54 PM EDT
Just got my CCW.   Looking at either the Shield 45 or Glock 26.   I will not be caring full time.  Only need it for travels to less scenic parts of central Ohio for travel sports.   I have shot the Glock 26 and like very much.  I have shot the Shield 9 and liked but not as much as the 26.  Wondering if the Shield 45 is worth it.  Also would most likely pocket or IWB carry for said travels.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Bad habit to not carry all the time if you decide to carry.

Of the two, glock
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:01:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both and prefer the G26 for CCW, mostly because of capacity but also interoperability of mags and holsters with my other Glocks. My Shield has the thumb safety, which I prefer in some rare situations like off-body carry, truck console, seated unholstering, etc.  They're both quality guns and have been 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:47:51 AM EDT
[#3]
If you like the G26 and shoot it well, what are you waiting for?  It's a good gun which will eat +P ammo all day long.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:58:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I have both.  Just recently bought the Shield 45.  It has become my new favorite gun to shoot.  Excellent trigger and hard to believe that you are actually shooting full power 45ACP ammo in such a small and light weight firearm.  Recoil is not much more than my son's 9mm Shield and it has a MUCH BETTER trigger.  I love it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:10:37 AM EDT
[#5]
CCW is for emergencies = many bullets needed, fast. Nobody shoots a 45 faster than a 9mm and "stopping power" is a myth in handguns anyway,
so G26 it is.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 6:51:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Many thanks for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#7]
If I liked Glocks, and wanted a 45, I'd go with one of the Glock 30/30S/30SF guns over the Shield 45, but the Glock 45's and Shield 45's are too big for my pockets.  The 26 is much easier to carry for a pocket gun.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I love my 26, it is a great weapon in a small package, accurate, low recoil, and plenty of capacity.

For travel you can always purchase some larger mags to keep in the car (Glock 19- 15 rds, Glock 17- 17 rds).

I recently purchased a 43 as well, but have not shot it yet, know you didn't mention it, however if you are looking at the single stack shields, it is a single stack glock 9mm.

My advice would be to shoot the Shield 45 and re-shoot the Glock 26, make your decision from there.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#9]
If you liked the G26 so much, then there you go, problem solved.

Myself, I much prefer a single stack over a double stack for concealed carry and I really like my Shield 9 as it's more ergonomic and shoots better than the G26 or G43.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bad habit to not carry all the time if you decide to carry.

Of the two, glock
View Quote

FPNI

Glock 26 is a great little gun.  

You don't keep a spare tire for when you THINK you may get a flat.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Of the two listed, I would choose the Shield.  I have the 9 and .45, and the 45 shoots better.  I'm not a Glock fan, I don't shoot them well but if you do that's all that matters.  The Shield 45 is my choice as it is small, reliable and concealable.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Just for shits and giggles rent a 19 and see how you fancy that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I figured once he bought the 26 a 19 would follow...
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#14]
If I could find a non finger groove 19 I may consider it.   For some reason the 19 feels awkward.  No issues with a 17, 30 or 26.  I think I will get a gen 4 26 and learn to become proficient to carry it always.  Thanks again for all of the suggestions.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Find a Gen2 19 if you do not want finger grooves or get a 19 and sand the humps off.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#16]
My EDC is a Gen4 19 in a TT Gunleather holster. I think the 19 is an excellent option, but I have been eyeing smaller pistols over the past few weeks, looking for a slim, deeper concealment option.

I have shot a Shield 9mm before and it shot very well. But it is not really on my radar for my upcoming purchase even though it is popular with many others.

The G43 is most likely what I will end up with.  AIWB and pocket carry are both options, and since all of my other pistols are Glocks it makes sense to stick with what I know.

I have considered the XDS 9mm too. It is basically the same size as the G43, comes with upgraded sights and holds an extra round. Additionally Springfield has the magazine promo running again.

I had a G26 and got rid of it. The 10 round mags bit my finger and using any kind of extender or a 15 round mag with filler seemed a bit pointless - might as well just carry the G19 at that point. Also the G26 seems too large for pocket carry but that is subjective.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#17]
G19 and move on.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Good grief.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Good grief.
View Quote

What's the problem?

OP get the 26 and a good holster
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#20]
26 with a good holster and a good belt. Get some 17 round spare magazines and a lot of ammo.

The benefit of the Shield id its thinner and easier to conceal. I would also recommend carrying every day and not just when you go downtown.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What's the problem?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good grief.

What's the problem?

You cannot see it? Well of course you won't know the problem then.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

We all have to start somewhere. No need to give him shit about it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one is giving him shit about it. You've entirely missed it and still not seeing it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No one is giving him shit about it. You've entirely missed it and still not seeing it.
View Quote

Is it because my favorite gun is a G19?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
CCW is for emergencies = many bullets needed, fast. Nobody shoots a 45 faster than a 9mm and "stopping power" is a myth in handguns anyway,
so G26 it is.
View Quote

I tend to agree. I sold an XDS in .45 because I have a CZ-75B with 17+1 in 9mm Luger and I mostly carry a CZ-82 with 12+1 in 9mm Mak. Can't beat the number of rounds you get with higher capacity. Only time I will carry less rounds is when the situation dictates (jogging, pocket carry, etc).

While stopping power is a myth, the truth is what stops someone is shock and blood loss. If you hit someone with a hollow point and it tears a hole in them, theres only so many holes one can take because everything shuts down. You just have to choose your fancy. Bigger holes, or more holes? By this measure, I go with capacity. I would rather have the ability to keep shooting as long as I need, than pretend I will stop them before I run out of bullets.

I'd say go G26 between the two, especially if you have shot it and you like it. Parts and holsters are plentiful, mods are out there, etc.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Personally, I would go with a Glock 26.

Also, I do not recommend pocket carrying over holstered carry.  If you train or practice (which you should, especially to be carrying) I think that from a holster is more efficient and precise.  Your handgun is always in the same position vs floating around in your pocket.

T_RunNGun

FOLLOW ON INSTAGRAM @ T_runngun

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - Gen. James Mattis
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top