Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2017 1:40:43 PM EDT
I'm looking to change up my carry rig and was wondering what people liked and disliked about 100% kydex holsters. I'm currently running a glock 23 in a super tuck, but I'm looking to get off the .40 kool-aide  and go to a 9mm something. I don't dislike the crossbreed, but it seems rather large and somewhat limits body position. I was looking at DSG's CDC, but the tab that helps cover the slide looks like it may dig in to my side a bit. I'm open to just about anything right now since I still haven't decided if I wanted to stay glock or go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Pros:
Water and sweat proof
Maintains its shape for easy reholstering
Often times very customizable
Durable
Adds little bulk to the gun which is a benefit with chunky double stacks

Cons:
Scratchy on bare skin especially on a hot day
Hard and stiff which can poke you, though with kydex you can reconture parts of it for your needs
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Any holster can wear the finish of your pistol. And it’s certainly true that pistol wear is the primary issue facing owners of KYDEX holsters. To minimize the problem, holsters made of KYDEX must be manufactured to follow the EXACT shape and form of the weapon inside them. They must apply pressure on the proper areas of the firearm – and nothing more. By matching the weapon and shaping the holster correctly, quality KYDEX holsters rarely present finish wear.
View Quote

Cut and pasted from http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/robert-farago/truth-kydex-holsters/ because I think it addresses the holster wear issue fairly as it relates to Kydex.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:05:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Pros: Extremely customizable, safer cover of the trigger, everything previously stated.

Cons: Accelerated wear, more rigid = less comfortable.

I started with a hybrid style holster. For the last 5 years I've carried exclusively full kydex holsters. I'm a bit biased because I make kydex holsters but I feel the pros far out weigh the cons.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:55:12 AM EDT
[#4]
finish wear is a non issue for me, worse comes to worse I have a reason to get the slide cerkoted
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I like kydex but most of my iwb ones have broken after a couple years.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

How so?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How so?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

The kydex will crack. They still work I guess with the tension of the belt.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

I assume then that you carry owb, or did you switch to a leather or hybrid holster like a super tuck?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I assume then that you carry owb, or did you switch to a leather or hybrid holster like a super tuck?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

Well, I still use kydex for some applications. I just don't plan on them lasting a long time.

I've seen more cracked kydex on hybrids then anything else. I wonder if it's because the backing flexes so much.

I prefer 100% horsehide. Eventually leather does soften enough that it needs to be replaced but ime they hold up much better.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

I've got a Blade Tech Phantom that I got for $20 years ago and is somehow still going strong.  I don't wear it every day but I wear it often and, although I've seen cracked holsters like you're describing, this thing is somehow a total trooper.  It's also one of the cheapest holsters I own, go figure.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:21:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I just don't plan on them lasting a long time.
View Quote

Maybe you got a cheap one?  
Same Kydex one for me daily for 5 years & still going strong.

Only con I have is it's not as comfortable as a supertuck or similar.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:12:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
I just don't plan on them lasting a long time.

Raven, JM, and a few others whose name escapes me.

I'd be happy for 5 years. I'm not saying every kydex holster I own breaks, just that I've had a few. Even though I prefer leather my most worn holster is an m3 tactical aiwb.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:24:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pros:
Water and sweat proof
Durable

Cons:
Hard and stiff which can poke you, though with kydex you can reconture parts of it for your needs
View Quote
Sums it up, love 100% kydex the only thing i will use and i carry against bare skin.
In my conditions IWB leather would rot away in no time.

Been carrying my CompTac CTAC daily  for over 12 years no cracking.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pros:
Water and sweat proof
Durable

Cons:
View Quote

Tactical Fuzz!  Or undershirt fixes that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pros:
Water and sweat proof
Durable

Cons:

ooh, G-code incog looks interesting
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#16]
All of my holsters are full kydex, and I don't see any cons to them really. Ive never broken a holster that was kydex, I did however break an Eidolon which is some kind of injection molded plastic I believe.

I guess one con is that it can wear your slide finish, but that doesn't bother me in the least. Ive never had the scratchy problem with mine, and I do like that kydex is virtually sweatproof. It gets humid in the south and they can smell like sweat after awhile, but after a wipe down with a damp rag they smell as good as new again.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Another +1 for the CTAC. I've been using a CTAC for about 6 years, and I'm very happy with it.

Unlike leather, Kydex doesn't grab your skin or rub you raw. Kydex is nice and smooth. Doesn't collapse (even with age) so it's easy to holster/re-holster.

A great thing specifically about the CTAC is it uses leather to attach the clips, so it will bend with you a little.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Generally speaking leather has better retention if you go hands on with someone.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I use a hybrid, I don't like all kydex driving me crazy on bare skin when I IWB carry, but I do like using the kydex part of the hybrid to keep the shape for easier holstering.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I broke one kydex holster in the last 7 years of carrying. Holster was a KT mech OWB holster that developed a crack after maybe 2 years of carrying. I think it cracked in my bag without the gun inside it. I'm currently rotating 4 holsters outside of work, depending on my needs. 3 of them are kydex while the other is injection molded. I spent 70 on the most expensive one.  Most people spend at least 300 dollars on a firearm so 50 or 80 dollars every few years for holster doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I broke one kydex holster in the last 7 years of carrying. Holster was a KT mech OWB holster that developed a crack after maybe 2 years of carrying. I think it cracked in my back without the gun inside it. I'm currently rotating 4 holsters outside of work, depending on my needs. 3 of them are kydex while the other is injection molded. I spent 70 on the most expensive one.  Most people spend at least 300 dollars on a firearm so 50 or 80 dollars every few years for holster doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I broke one kydex holster in the last 7 years of carrying. Holster was a KT mech OWB holster that developed a crack after maybe 2 years of carrying. I think it cracked in my back without the gun inside it. I'm currently rotating 4 holsters outside of work, depending on my needs. 3 of them are kydex while the other is injection molded. I spent 70 on the most expensive one.  Most people spend at least 300 dollars on a firearm so 50 or 80 dollars every few years for holster doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I agree. I really like kydex and I'm OK replacing one that breaks after a few years.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#22]
So, g-code doesn't make an incog for a 229r. Has anyone used a bravo concealment DOS?

Side question, anyone use a vent core holster? Seems like a pretty slick hybrid.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So, g-code doesn't make an incog for a 229r. Has anyone used a bravo concealment DOS?

Side question, anyone use a vent core holster? Seems like a pretty slick hybrid.
View Quote

I have been using the DOS for a G19 with a X300 for about a month. I really like the clips. I didn't like how the rear one was installed, so I moved it to the rear of the holster. This gave it a little more cant and reduced the thickness appreciably IMO. I do wish that it was a little more refined, but I am happy enough that I'm not looking for a replacement.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

The g-code is injection molded plastic, different from kydex I believe.

I had a DOS for a while, I only had it for a few months with a Smith and Wesson Shield. Worked well from what I remember, I ended up selling the shield and then the holster.

I like my g-code when I'm not wearing a belt. If i have a belt on I'm wearing a PHLster skelton or a Veil Solutions Vampire IWB.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#25]
The only con I've found with kydex is comfort. Leather has a lot more give and conforms to your body, especially nice in a pancake type holster. Pancake type kydex holsters(K Rounds, Raven, KT Mech, Bravo Concealment, Etc) don't conform to you at all.

I've slowly started acquiring custom leather for my favorite guns. Good leather isn't cheap or fast but it is nice. I so far have a Milt Sparks 60TK for a 1911 and a TT Gunleather high ride pancake for a P226R and both are far more comfortable than the equivalent kydex. I will say the 60TK is almost as a stiff as kydex, but it still conforms to the wearer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top