Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2017 11:03:04 PM EDT
I currently am carrying a s&w shield .45 and I'm wanting to switch to a 1911. I've always planned on carrying a 1911 however I was waiting to find one I liked in my price range. my question is would it be to uncomfortable to carry a full size 1911 in appendix position, or too hard to not print. I’m not too concerned with the weight difference from the shield to a 1911.  
Thanks in advanced.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:59:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I carry mine at 3-4:00 no issues.  A good belt such as a Hanks belt will do wonders.   I don't appendix carry anything, had a friend shoot himself with his glock holstering it, the kydex caught the trigger.
View Quote

That's crazy hope all is well now. That's personally one reason I won't carry a glock.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you appendix carrying your shield?  I have no experience with appendix carry.  I tried to Mexican carry an unloaded P320C yesterday to see if I could get it in a comfortable position--I couldn't, so I completely scrapped the idea.  It was very well concealed, but just was not comfortable with my gut and barrel poking my leg.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I primarily carry aiwb with a Beretta m9a1 compact. When I try with my vertec I print more than I like when just wearing a t-shirt.

If I would carry a 1911 I think I'd carry right behind the hip.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I have not had good luck appendix carrying fur size guns. The barrel is too long for me and is very uncomfortable. With that said, shorter barrel guns work well for me: XDS, smaller Glocks, 3" barrel 1911's.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are you appendix carrying your shield?  I have no experience with appendix carry.  I tried to Mexican carry an unloaded P320C yesterday to see if I could get it in a comfortable position--I couldn't, so I completely scrapped the idea.  It was very well concealed, but just was not comfortable with my gut and barrel poking my leg.
View Quote

Yes I do appendix carry my shield. I have a Foxx holster which works perfect for me. Once I got used to a gun being pointed at my junk I was pretty comfortable with it. I always carry with the safety on to give me that assurance that when I reholster it wont go bang. I recommend going and getting a cheap holster for appendix carry and just wear it around the house for a few days and see how you like it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#7]
No fucking way would I carry anything with a bullet in it appendix carry.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No fucking way would I carry anything with a bullet in it appendix carry.
View Quote

It's not a bad thing......just don't pull the trigger when holstering.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's not a bad thing......just don't pull the trigger when holstering.
View Quote

I'll be the first to knock on wood, but I'll say that I feel like it's very easy to NOT shoot yourself when holster anything. I'm amazing that people have shot themselves holstering their weapon regardless of where its at. I hope I'm never eating crow.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:54:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I carry mine at 3-4:00 no issues.  A good belt such as a Hanks belt will do wonders.   I don't appendix carry anything, had a friend shoot himself with his glock holstering it, the kydex caught the trigger.
View Quote

How did the kydex catch the trigger?

What holster?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow, I really hate to hear that man. How bad was the damage if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:04:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I won't argue appendix works well for some people but it is not everyone's solution by a long shot people built like me- short with a bit of a gut and a short torso ( not leaving much distance from belt line to groin) simply can not pull it off. The tall young thin guys seem to be the ones that find it effective
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'll be the first to knock on wood, but I'll say that I feel like it's very easy to NOT shoot yourself when holster anything. I'm amazing that people have shot themselves holstering their weapon regardless of where its at. I hope I'm never eating crow.
View Quote

it's because most retards are in a hurry to snatch the gun back off target and put it away.  no lie, I've seen guys reholster as quickly as they draw. and they wonder why they shoot themselves in the fucking leg.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 1:57:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I can't sit down with a long barrel AWIB. It just isn't going to happen for me. 3.5" barrel max before I harpoon my balls with the muzzle.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#16]
With my Hi Power I place it at about 1:00/2:00 with substantial cant and it lays across the crease between my hip and thigh, pretty comfortable actually.  Somethings aren't meant to be aimed at your balls.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#17]
It really depends on your body type.  

I tried concealing a G19 AIWB and I was miserable, I cant even imagine a 5" 1911...
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#18]
All depends on your body proportions and if it will be comfortable for you. I am a taller guy and have no issues carrying a G19 with x300 on it everyday aiwb, but everyone is different.

One thing I realized pretty quickly is that the closer to your centerline you go, the more you can move the holster around to get it comfortable. Carrying at 1-2 oclock puts the muzzle digging into your leg which is very uncomfortable(shorter guns being the exception here). The slide of my gun is just about even with the zipper of my pants, to give you an idea of positioning. Again, try it yourself to see what works better for you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I carried a full sized steel 1911 for a while, wouldn't have wanted to appendix carry it though. I just did ISWB and OSWB. I have thought about shoulder carry...
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I carry a glock 19 with x300 at 12:00-1:00. I find it is very holster dependent. I use jm custom for my aiwb holsters
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I currently am carrying a s&w shield .45 and I'm wanting to switch to a 1911. I've always planned on carrying a 1911 however I was waiting to find one I liked in my price range. my question is would it be to uncomfortable to carry a full size 1911 in appendix position, or too hard to not print. I’m not too concerned with the weight difference from the shield to a 1911.  
Thanks in advanced.
View Quote

Appendix carry sounds great until the barrel is gouging your crotch. You will quickly become unsettled and return to common sense thinking. I have even tried to appendix carry a SOCP knife AIWB. It sucks. Anything involving driving or sitting sucks. Belly band if you cannot IWB strong side.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I do it all the time.

With the right holster it is indeed doable and comfortable...and you don't have to be my size to pull it off. It was seeing a pretty small dude successfully conceal a 5" railed 1911 AIWB every day that convinced me to try it.

Holster suggestions:

Custom Carry Concepts "Shaggy"
Ralson/5 Shot Gunleather "SME"
Keepers Concealment "Keeper" holster
Garrity In-Victus
View Quote

Have had two CCC Shaggys, for a Glock 19 and a sig 220.  Both were excellent as far as comfort.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top