Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2016 12:22:56 PM EDT
Hey everyone first time poster long time reader here

So i am about to turn 21 and am looking into purchasing a pair of handguns for concealed carry but i am having trouble finding what i'm looking for, basically what i want is a 9mm compact metal frame external hammer pistol to appendix carry and a 9mm subcompact metal frame external hammer that i can ankle carry as a back up when traveling. I would really like them to be able to share magazines. Basically i want something like a glock 19/26 combo but i want it to be steel framed with an external hammer. Does anyone have a recommendation for me that would fulfill these requirements. If i cant find a pair of handguns like this my alternate choice would be a sig p229 9mm as my primary and a smith and wesson 340 pd as a backup gun. I would appreciate our input
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Snubby for ankle gun is best so the 340/P229 idea is what I'd do. Though if you want to stick with just 9mm forget the revolver and get a small single stack like a Kahr for pocket.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#2]
DA/SA or SAO? A Sig P229 fits what you are looking for for the first gun, or some kind of CZ. I'm not as familiar with the CZ's but someone should be able to tell you more. I don't know about the mag compatibility though.

If you want SAO you could look at 1911s, but they are going to be heavier.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#3]
CZ P01 and CZ RAMI should fit the bill. Not sure if they have mag compatibility if that's important to you. Someone more knowledgeable with CZs will come along soon I'm sure.

Also Sig 229 and 224 would also meet your requirements. However I would never ankle carry anything heavier than a jframe or single stack polymer gun but that's just me.

I could be wrong but I think they stopped producing the 224 but I see them NIB at my local gun stores all the time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd go with a Ruger LCR in 9mm for an ankle gun if you are doing a 9mm primary ccw.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hey everyone first time poster long time reader here

So i am about to turn 21 and am looking into purchasing a pair of handguns for concealed carry but i am having trouble finding what i'm looking for, basically what i want is a 9mm compact metal frame external hammer pistol to appendix carry and a 9mm subcompact metal frame external hammer that i can ankle carry as a back up when traveling. I would really like them to be able to share magazines. Basically i want something like a glock 19/26 combo but i want it to be steel framed with an external hammer. Does anyone have a recommendation for me that would fulfill these requirements. If i cant find a pair of handguns like this my alternate choice would be a sig p229 9mm as my primary and a smith and wesson 340 pd as a backup gun. I would appreciate our input
View Quote

Ever done much ankle carry?  Heavy is definitely not a better way to go.  What is your reason for not wanting a polymer wonder?  I know backup gun sounds cool, sounds like a good idea, and if worse comes to worse you primary fails real world you probably will not be drawing it to finish a gun fight.  In my opinion a spare mag, good knife, and a flashlight would probably do more good than an ankle carry BUG.
P226/229 are Al frame not steel.  

So judging by your age I can assume you have zero experience carrying.  Instead of looking for a BUG invest that money in a good holster, a carry belt, and mags/ammo.  I say carry belt because the off the shelf leather belt you picked up at the store will not cut it it will start to sag, carry will be uncomfortable, and your draw will suffer.  Do not buy a cheap academy holster ask here for the pistol you end up getting and I guarantee we will save you a ton of money on buying crap holsters that just do not cut it.  My last recommendation is find and sign up for a pistol course with a reputable instructor it will change your life and go into wanting to learn and absorb as much as you possibly can.

I have 12 years carry experience, bought tons of different handguns, holsters, belts, and misc other crap over the years and wasted a lot of money.  I say all this to help you not go down the road many of us have and waste lots of money.  Many others on here may have more experience than I do and I hope they weigh in and help you out.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I started carrying in 1995 when CCW went from "May Issue" to "Shall Issue" in Virginia (where I was living at the time).  Back then there were a lot less choices when it came to good carry guns.  We basically had service sized pistols, chopped service pistols, really chopped service pistols, J-frames, the Kahr K9, and the 3913.  I tried a lot of different carry guns but something that always worked for me was a J-frame Airweight.  The S&W 940 was still around then, but steel framed, and hard to find since one couldn't just go on the internet and order a gun.  So, I generally carried a 9mm pistol and the .38 Special Airweight as a backup.  

Here is the issue with the OPs requirements: We are in the second age of the WonderNine.  However, the current generation of WonderNines are almost all striker fired guns with polymer frames.  There is the occasional hammer fired gun with a polymer frame, but metal frame, hammer fired guns are starting to get really rare.  CZ makes some still, though none are guns I think are really good for an ankle or pocket holster.  Ankle carry is great for some situations, but you need two things in an ankle gun, it has to be reasonably light weight and it has to be reliable when dirty/grimy.  Guns that close to the ground get dirty quickly.  Lightweight revolvers make the best ankle guns, after that the Glock 26/27/33 is the choice for an automatic.  I have always preferred the off-side front pocket for a BUG as opposed to the ankle when not in uniform.  In uniform the duty belt tends to obstruct the offside front pocket.  

My favorite combination for Primary/BUG back in the days of metal pistols was a 3913 IWB and a 642 Airweight in my left front pocket.  At present I carry in the same manner but my primary gun is either a M&P Shield 9mm or a M&P40 Compact (yes I am so 2008 with my .40, I'll probably eventually switch to a Shield .45 ACP) and a Glock 42 in my left front pocket.  I am seriously considering getting a LCR in 9mm to replace the Glock 42 for BUG duty.  I'm just not a big fan of pocket pistols (I prefer pocket revolvers).

If you are willing to accept a polymer frame then there are a lot more choices.

If you are willing to accept a striker fired pistol then there are a lot more choices.

If not, then I suggest the following:

Find a S&W 3913 or 3953 (Bud's Gun Shop has NIB 3953TSW pistols for sale right now, probably a NYPD contract overrun) or perhaps the newly available SIG 225.  The SIG 239 is also an option.  For the BUG, get an LCR in 9mm if you want to stick with just one cartridge, in .38 Special or .357 Magnum if you don't mind buying a couple kinds of ammo. The S&W J-frame is also excellent if you don't mind having more than one ammo type.  

Other than CZ I can't think of a steel frame, hammer fired pistol currently available other than the 9mm 1911s.  That isn't to say there are not any, I just can't think of any.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 12:37:37 AM EDT
[#7]
after you fuck around with a steel framed external hammer.....you'll probably end up with a S&W shield, G19, or similar, like everybody else

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 1:20:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
after you fuck around with a steel framed external hammer.....you'll probably end up with a S&W shield, G19, or similar, like everybody else

View Quote

Too true, there is a reason nearly every defensive handgun in production today (provided it was designed in the last 15 years or so) is striker fired and has a polymer frame.  I understand the desire for an exposed hammer, I don't carry guns with exposed hammers at present, but I liked having them in the past.  As for the metal/steel frame, not necessary at all, but some folks just prefer it.  It does limit choices a lot though.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 3:45:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah Shield 45 is my next purchase. Love my 1911's, but tired of carrying the extra weight, ha
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Beretta m9a1 compact is of comparable size to the 229. I carry one most the time aiwb and I have a g19 for the other times.

With a good holster (m3 tactical aiwb) it is so easy to conceal. I like glocks a lot but prefer berettas. Carrying aiwb makes the decision easy as I like the saftey on and my thumb on the hammer as I reholster. When I carry my g19 aiwb I use a raven vanguard 2 and holster after I remove the holster and snap it in off body.

I find that carrying a da/sa has a lot of advantages if you're willing to train with it.

Ive posted videos of me doing drills with both the compact and g19 and find that accuracy and speed is a wash at first but the more rounds fired I maintain accuracy better with theberetta at speed

Good luck, be safe, train hard.

Don't get lazy
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#11]
3913/3953. I too much prefer a gun with an external hammer and I have sold all my striker fired guns (my wife has a M&P9C).
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah Shield 45 is my next purchase. Love my 1911's, but tired of carrying the extra weight, ha
View Quote
I picked one up this past weekend. I'd like to tell you how it shot but in my excitement to get out to shoot before I had gone to work, I had left it behind by accident
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#13]
You might find ankle carry sounds better than it is.

But it sounds like you should look at CZ's
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Ankle carry sucks with a gun weighing over 1lb loaded...
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is so true its not even funny...

I have been carrying a concealed handgun for about 9 years now (the past 3 years as a full time Deputy Sherriff), and I have carried many handguns during that time.  I have a safe full of of various makes and models, some of which cost $1k or more, but I always reach for my Glock 17/19 or my S&W 442 when it comes to a carry handgun.

With that said, the P229 is a EXELLENT handgun, I bought one years ago with the intentions of making it my EDC (replacing my G19) because I wanted to carry something more "refined" than a polymer wonder pitol.  However, after a month of carry I determined that the Sig was no where near as comfortable to carry IWB as the Glock, so I sold it and I went back to the G19 I started with.  I still own my trusty P226, which has 10k or more on the odometer, and I would not part with it...

As for the J-frame, I would like to give you my impressions on the 340PD.  I have owned and carried several J-frame revolvers over the years, starting out with a 637 (hammer) which I really liked.  One day I got the bright idea that I wanted a hammerless .357 capable J-frame, because bigger is always better... right?  So I purchased a 340PD, which cost ~$800 IIRC.  After doing a few drills with full house .357 loads I realized that .357 in a gun that small and light was beyond stupid, and my follow up shots were much faster with the gun loaded with .38 SPL, so I always loaded and carried it with 38's....  About six months later a co-worker inquired about buying the pistol, so I sold it to him, and replaced it with a 442..   I have been carrying that 442 for the past 3 years as my BUG on duty, and summertime off duty carry with zero regrets.  So my advice is save yourself about $400 and get a 642/442, and put that extra cash towards a good holster and belt.

I will also echo what EdgecrusherXES said about back up guns.  You will be better served by carrying a good flashlight and a spare magazine, I would much rather have extra ammo for my primary than a "back up" five shot revolver in a gunfight.  The reason I carry one on duty is so I have a alternative in the event that someone is fighting for my primary, which is locked in a Level 3 duty holster. I never carried one as a civilian, and do not see the need for it.

I hope this helps you make your decision,

Merc

(Edited for clarity)  

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:40:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll have to echo someone from above.  Youth & inexperience seem to be the driving factors of the OP's request.

First I would say listen to ALL the advice listed so far, and filter out the parts that make sense. Remember CCW is covered at all times. So outside the waistband doesn't usually work (WAY more comfy though).

I've carried for the last 5 years, and as had been said several times already.  The size & weight of all metal guns gets annoying (and I'm a 1911 guy). The hammer likes to catch on things (cover garments).
I bought a P-228 M11-A1 thinking along the same lines, several years back.  Since the introduction of the P-320, my life has been SO much better.

Also said above, spend your money on a real good holster, belt & spare mag carrier. I also carry a knife and flashlight (also have a WML, but don't like to point a fire arm at something just to illuminate it).

Not being law enforcement, and having turned my military ID in years ago, I don't carry more than one at a time. Usually keep a second (bug) in the car though. I normally keep a snubbie 38 or my LCP 380 in a mounted lock box (large enough to carry my primary as well for the places that don't allow CCW) in the car. I do tend carry JUST my 380 when I take the dogs for a walk after dark.

Finally, spend some money on a quality CCW class.  There are so many laws and proper procedures that need to be followed, a class will help to highlight a lot of them. This will help overcome some of the youth related zeal of carrying multiple guns too.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Over the past 11 years (carried an m9 while in security forces prior to that) ive concealed a full size 1911, a commander, a p226, a g19, a kahr cw9, back to a g19, and finally berettas (a vertec and a compact).

With a good belt/holster I really don't notice the extra weight
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#18]
why would you want this? is it for practicality or simply cause its "cool"?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
CZ P01 and CZ RAMI should fit the bill. Not sure if they have mag compatibility if that's important to you. Someone more knowledgeable with CZs will come along soon I'm sure.

Also Sig 229 and 224 would also meet your requirements. However I would never ankle carry anything heavier than a jframe or single stack polymer gun but that's just me.

I could be wrong but I think they stopped producing the 224 but I see them NIB at my local gun stores all the time.
View Quote

CZ P-01 and the RAMI are both ALUMINUM frame, and the OP specified steel.  I think the Sigs might be alloy as well but I'm not a Sig guy.

CZ 75 compact instead.

I agree with those choices in general though.  I am so done with carrying steel framed guns, aluminum is the way to go.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

CZ rami will accept the larger mags but won't be flush.  Think Glock 19 mag in a 26
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#22]
OP, lots of good stuff here.

When I started carrying 9 years ago, I was thinking the same thing. I started slow, took to carrying one, spent money on good stuff, belt, holster, and mag carrier. I carried a full size M&P and carried it well. With 17+1 and a spare 17 I didn't want to add more weight with another gun.

I've carried quite the selection, but never felt I needed to carry 2 guns at once.

OP, if you want to carry I would buy 2 guns, just so you have something to carry in all situations. Ankle carry is a way to carry,but I do not like it and would go with belt or pocket carry any day over ankle.

CZ, Beretta, 1911, BHP, Sigs P22x series are all hammer guns, but for carry i would go lighter than a steel gun. If it's not comfortable, you're not going to carry it

EDIT where inNC?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I think a few of the respondents here have gotten the cart in front of the horse in their eagerness to tell you what they think is great.

I think we need to discuss your reasons for wanting a steel frame.

And I think we need to discuss a few things that may or may not be obvious.

Frames

Steel frames have an advantage when it comes to shooting as the extra weight aides control-ability and makes accurate double taps, fast controlled pairs and fast failure to stop drills a bit easier.

Polymer frames are lighter and they are durable, but tactical tupperware comes with its own downsides in terms of potential issues with limp wrist failures and many of them are striker fired pistols that can have some sharp downsides in concealed carry.

Aluminum is arguably the sweet spot being only a few once heaver than polymer on average, but also being heavy enough to avoid the limp wrist issues, and they are easy to find in SA and SA/DA models.  The downside is that they probably have the shortest lifespan of any of the options with service lives in the 20,000-40,000 round range compared to 100,000 or so for steel and (quality) polymer frame pistols.  

SA, DA, SA/DA, striker fired or SA/DA or DOA revolver?

There are pros and cons to each and you can write a book on the subject.

In short:

Revolvers are simple and easy to use.  Point it down range, pull the trigger and it goes bang.  If it does not go bang, pull the trigger again.   They have a long and comparatively heavy double action trigger that precludes the need for a safety. They can be carried hammer down on a loaded cylinder and be put into action very quickly.  SA/DA designs offer the option of SA for longer range work where tim is available and accuracy matters more than speed.  An exposed hammer also allows you to feel the hammer coming back if something gets inside the trigger guard and presses the trigger when you are holstering it, and that adds safety for concealed carry purposes.

Hammerless DAO revolvers give up this safety feature of feeling the hammer come back in exchange for a reduced potential for the hammer to snag on something.  However, unless you are doing pocket carry without a holster (which is really stupid) there's no real benefit as hammers snagging on stuff is just not an issue with a properly designed IWB or pocket holster.

Striker fired pistols caught on with law enforcement because they mimic the operation of a duty revolver in that you just pull the trigger.  The trigger pull is comparatively long but can be much lighter than a DA revolver.  That combined with some models tying all the safety devices to the trigger has resulted in a disproportionate percentage of ADs.  It's not much or a problem with an OWB duty holster or for a properly designed OWB holster use for concealed carry, but it can be an issue in IWB carry if the shooter chooses his holster badly.   Ideally you want a holiest with:
1) a belt clip that allows the holster to be removed to re-holster the pistol, so you can conduct that evolution with the pistol out in front of you where you can see it.  
2) a holster that fully encloses and protects the trigger - it is in effect your first line "safety" on the pistol.
3) a holster with a reinforced mouth that won't collapse and roll inside the trigger guard.
4) a holster that does not have a release button located anywhere near the trigger.  Under extreme stress people can press the release and keep pressing as the pistol comes out, with the result that the finger ends up upon the trigger launching a round during the draw.  

At the other extreme there are some clowns using minimalist holsters or clips on the side that do not fully protect the trigger in IWB carry.  If they have not had an AD it's because they are lucky.

The theory that striker fired pistols like the Glock would need minimal training isn't entirely true.  Yes, it takes very little training to get some one to proficiently point it down range and fire it, but it does take a fair amount of knowledge and training to carry one safely in concealed carry.  You also have more training needed to address immediate action in the event the pistol jams, or a round fails to fire.

Single action pistols tend to have better triggers, particularly the 1911, and they have manual safeties.  They do require a bit more training and practice to fire and carry safely in Condition 1 (cocked and locked on a loaded chamber) and that is the only way they should be carried.  However, the overall burden isn't much greater than with a Glock.   That short, light trigger however can be a problem as unless the shooter has excellent trigger discipline, they will go for the trigger too soon and put a round in the dirt during the draw.  It's the same general problem as a Glock just with different mechanics and with a similar need to focus a little more on training on the draw and properly re-holstering the pistol.

The upside however is that nothing delivers accurate shooting at speed like a well tuned SA pistol with a short trigger reset like a 1911.  It's what's kept it popular and viable for 105 years.

DA pistols offer the same basic advantage as a revolver, in terms of point and shoot and the ability to carry it without the safety on.  In most cases the safety is a decocking lever that decocks the pistol and in most cases it isn't left on safe (unless lawyers are involved in writing the manual). Unlike a revolver, and like any semi-auto pistol, you need to learn more about immediate actions to clear any jams or failures to fire.

SA/DA pistols potentially provide the best of both worlds as you can choose to carry it in Condition 1 in SA mode or carry it in DA mode.  The downsides are that the SA trigger isn't usually as good as a dedicated SA pistol and the ergonomics might be biased more toward DA than SA use given the position of the safety lever. In this case the safety won't be a de-cocker so you'll need to learn how to safely de-cock the pistol as well, just like you would with an SA pistol.  They arguably present the most material that must be learned to use them effectively.  But they are very flexible in use.

Magazine capacity

Despite all the media attention on terrorist threats, riots, and all shootings, 95% of all civilian and officer involved shoots are over and done with less than 5 shorts fired in under 5 seconds at ranges of less than 5 yards.  Let me repeat that even includes police officers.  For civilians who are supposed to be using a pistol for self defense rather than looking for trouble, that percentage will be in excess of 99%.  In short, you don't really need a 13+1, 15+1 or 17+1 pistol.  A 5 rounds J-frame will be adequate with no need to reload.

Reliability

If you choose a semi-auto it must be 100% reliable with your chosen carry ammo.  If it's not you need to rethink the ammo or the pistol.   If you do choose to carry a semi-auto it's still not a bad idea to carry a spare magazine as in the event you have a malfunction that "tap, rack, bang" won't fix, dropping the mag, clearing the weapon and starting with a fresh mag is usually the fastest ad best way to resolve whatever caused the problem.  But then again, refer back to the 5/5/5 rule.  If you have a malfunction the shoot will be over before you will get the weapon back in action in a self defense shoot, so you really need to focus on relentless reliability in the first place.  

I insist on at least 200 trouble free round with my carry ammo before I'll carry a semi-auto.  I back that down to 50 rounds with a revolver and that's mostly to ensure that the chosen ammo does not have problems with the bullet backing out under recoil and jamming the cylinder, or that the ammo doesn't produce large powder grains that can get under an ejector star and cause reload problems (not that a reload will probably ever be needed).

EDC carry weight and conceal-ability

Weight of the pistol actually has very little to do with comfort.  I've carried a 42 oz 686+ from the time I get up to the time I turn in with no comfort issues.   The key is a good double thickness leather belt and a well designed IWB holster.   It also helps that a revolver is only thickest at the cylinder and is fairly think everywhere else.  

Shape matters however as a full size steel frame 1911 weighs about the same as a 2.5" or 3" 686 but is less comfortable to carry in large part due to more sharp angles and edges and a uniform thickness across the grip and slide, and the pistol and in particular the slide are long enough that a full size 1911 starts causing issues sitting down etc in IWB carry.

Double stack semi-autos get even thicker in the grip and high capacity double stack semi-autos are both long and thick in the grip, and that can impact both comfort and conceal-ability.   Plus if you've got a 15 round pistol and you want to carry a spare mag, that extra 15 round mag isn't small or light and further compromises comfort and conceal-ability.  

The point here is that in the same way some shooters take a light, handy M4 carbine and then hang 4 pounds of tactical crap on it and turn it into a modern equivalent of an over weight and slow handling M1 Garand, some shooters carry so much EDC crap that they end up creating a situation where they can't comfortably carry it or conceal it and it compromises the overall purpose for having a concealed handgun in the first place.   If you don't have it on you all the time, you run the risk of not having it when you need it, and if you ever need it, you'll need it real bad and right now.  

If you carry too much crap, you'll start being tempted to leave it off for short trips to the local stab and grab when you need  quart of milk, or you'll start taking it off when you get home and not have it in time if a bad guys kicks in your door.  And if you either can't effectively conceal all that EDC, or you resort to cover garments that scream "I'm packing" you set yourself up to be the first guy shot if something goes down and/or you set your self up to be asked to leave by security people in places that don't encourage concealed carry.  

Don't be that guy.  

Back up guns

If you've chosen your primary well, the only valid reason to have a back up in a civilian self defense role is to have a pistol to hand off to a normally non carrying friend who knows how to use it.   For example, if we're going places that I'm less comfortable going with my non concealed carry wife, I'll carry a Kimber Micro in a pocket holster in my back pocket where I can hand it off to her if we start getting into a situation what we want to back out of.   In effect she's now armed and can lead the way out the way we came while I cover our six as we depart the area.  It's not to take the place of my primary if it fails (it won't), it's to double our potential firepower as a team in a pinch.      

----

With all that said think about what you want a steel frame gun and your overall CCW goals.

The CZ 75 Compact is steel framed, comfortable to carry with a good holster and belt, it's easy to conceal, very reliable, it's capable of excellent combat performance and night sights are available for it.

You can also find compact model CZs with aluminum frames that save a few ounces if weight matters to you.

The FN Hi Power is also steel framed and very reliable, but a little large - on the order of a full sized 1911.  

I am a big fan of the 1911 and I currently carry a Commander sized 1911 in 9mm, in part because 9mm hollow point performance now puts it on par with .45 ACP in the real world, in part because I can deliver 3 A zone hits with 9mm compared to 2 A zone rounds with .45 ACP in the same time frame, and in part because a 1911 in 9mm is a 10+1 pistol rather than an 8+1 pistol (and while 9 round is going to be enough, there's no real downside when you get more rounds in the same pistol form factor).   But mostly, I'm a 1911 fan because they fit my hand extremely well, I shoot them extremely well and the short pull and trigger reset on a 1911 allows for very rapid follow up shots.

In the end, what works for you as a shooter should be your focus.   It's not about "carrying" a concealed handgun, it's about being able to shoot that concealed handgun very effectively  if you ever need to defend yourself.  It won't matter what you carry or how may rounds you brought if you can't use your handgun effectively in the five seconds that you'll have from start to finish.  Pick a reliable handgun that fits you well, that you can shoot well, train to use it effectively and then shoot it often enough to attain and maintain proficiency with it.  And ignore all the other crap you'll be tempted to listen to on the subject of "what should I carry?"
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think a few of the respondents here have gotten the cart in front of the horse in their eagerness to tell you what they think is great.

Frames

Steel frames have an advantage when it comes to shooting as the extra weight aides control-ability and makes accurate double taps, fast controlled pairs and fast failure to stop drills a bit easier.

Polymer frames are lighter and they are durable, but tactical tupperware comes with its own downsides in terms of potential issues with limp wrist failures and many of them are striker fired pistols that can have some sharp downsides in concealed carry.

Aluminum is arguably the sweet spot being only a few once heaver than polymer on average, but also being heavy enough to avoid the limp wrist issues, and they are easy to find in SA and SA/DA models.  The downside is that they probably have the shortest lifespan of any of the options with service lives in the 20,000-40,000 round range compared to 100,000 or so for steel and (quality) polymer frame pistols.  

In short:

Revolvers are simple and easy to use.  Point it down range, pull the trigger and it goes bang.  If it does not go bang, pull the trigger again.   They have a long and comparatively heavy double action trigger that precludes the need for a safety. They can be carried hammer down on a loaded cylinder and be put into action very quickly.  SA/DA designs offer the option of SA for longer range work where tim is available and accuracy matters more than speed.  An exposed hammer also allows you to feel the hammer coming back if something gets inside the trigger guard and presses the trigger when you are holstering it, and that adds safety for concealed carry purposes.

Hammerless DAO revolvers give up this safety feature of feeling the hammer come back in exchange for a reduced potential for the hammer to snag on something.  However, unless you are doing pocket carry without a holster (which is really stupid) there's no real benefit as hammers snagging on stuff is just not an issue with a properly designed IWB or pocket holster.

Striker fired pistols caught on with law enforcement because they mimic the operation of a duty revolver in that you just pull the trigger.  The trigger pull is comparatively long but can be much lighter than a DA revolver.  That combined with some models tying all the safety devices to the trigger has resulted in a disproportionate percentage of ADs.  It's not much or a problem with an OWB duty holster or for a properly designed OWB holster use for concealed carry, but it can be an issue in IWB carry if the shooter chooses his holster badly.   Ideally you want a holiest with:
1) a belt clip that allows the holster to be removed to re-holster the pistol, so you can conduct that evolution with the pistol out in front of you where you can see it.  
2) a holster that fully encloses and protects the trigger - it is in effect your first line "safety" on the pistol.
3) a holster with a reinforced mouth that won't collapse and roll inside the trigger guard.
4) a holster that does not have a release button located anywhere near the trigger.  Under extreme stress people can press the release and keep pressing as the pistol comes out, with the result that the finger ends up upon the trigger launching a round during the draw.  

At the other extreme there are some clowns using minimalist holsters or clips on the side that do not fully protect the trigger in IWB carry.  If they have not had an AD it's because they are lucky.

The theory that striker fired pistols like the Glock would need minimal training isn't entirely true.  Yes, it takes very little training to get some one to proficiently point it down range and fire it, but it does take a fair amount of knowledge and training to carry one safely in concealed carry.  You also have more training needed to address immediate action in the event the pistol jams, or a round fails to fire.

Single action pistols tend to have better triggers, particularly the 1911, and they have manual safeties.  They do require a bit more training and practice to fire and carry safely in Condition 1 (cocked and locked on a loaded chamber) and that is the only way they should be carried.  However, the overall burden isn't much greater than with a Glock.   That short, light trigger however can be a problem as unless the shooter has excellent trigger discipline, they will go for the trigger too soon and put a round in the dirt during the draw.  It's the same general problem as a Glock just with different mechanics and with a similar need to focus a little more on training on the draw and properly re-holstering the pistol.

The upside however is that nothing delivers accurate shooting at speed like a well tuned SA pistol with a short trigger reset like a 1911.  It's what's kept it popular and viable for 105 years.

DA pistols offer the same basic advantage as a revolver, in terms of point and shoot and the ability to carry it without the safety on.  In most cases the safety is a decocking lever that decocks the pistol and in most cases it isn't left on safe (unless lawyers are involved in writing the manual). Unlike a revolver, and like any semi-auto pistol, you need to learn more about immediate actions to clear any jams or failures to fire.

SA/DA pistols potentially provide the best of both worlds as you can choose to carry it in Condition 1 in SA mode or carry it in DA mode.  The downsides are that the SA trigger isn't usually as good as a dedicated SA pistol and the ergonomics might be biased more toward DA than SA use given the position of the safety lever. In this case the safety won't be a de-cocker so you'll need to learn how to safely de-cock the pistol as well, just like you would with an SA pistol.  They arguably present the most material that must be learned to use them effectively.  But they are very flexible in use.

Magazine capacity

Despite all the media attention on terrorist threats, riots, and all shootings, 95% of all civilian and officer involved shoots are over and done with less than 5 shorts fired in under 5 seconds at ranges of less than 5 yards.  Let me repeat that even includes police officers.  For civilians who are supposed to be using a pistol for self defense rather than looking for trouble, that percentage will be in excess of 99%.  In short, you don't really need a 13+1, 15+1 or 17+1 pistol.  A 5 rounds J-frame will be adequate with no need to reload.

Reliability

If you choose a semi-auto it must be 100% reliable with your chosen carry ammo.  If it's not you need to rethink the ammo or the pistol.   If you do choose to carry a semi-auto it's still not a bad idea to carry a spare magazine as in the event you have a malfunction that "tap, rack, bang" won't fix, dropping the mag, clearing the weapon and starting with a fresh mag is usually the fastest ad best way to resolve whatever caused the problem.  But then again, refer back to the 5/5/5 rule.  If you have a malfunction the shoot will be over before you will get the weapon back in action in a self defense shoot, so you really need to focus on relentless reliability in the first place.  

I insist on at least 200 trouble free round with my carry ammo before I'll carry a semi-auto.  I back that down to 50 rounds with a revolver and that's mostly to ensure that the chosen ammo does not have problems with the bullet backing out under recoil and jamming the cylinder, or that the ammo doesn't produce large powder grains that can get under an ejector star and cause reload problems (not that a reload will probably ever be needed).

Weight of the pistol actually has very little to do with comfort.  I've carried a 42 oz 686+ from the time I get up to the time I turn in with no comfort issues.   The key is a good double thickness leather belt and a well designed IWB holster.   It also helps that a revolver is only thickest at the cylinder and is fairly think everywhere else.  

Shape matters however as a full size steel frame 1911 weighs about the same as a 2.5" or 3" 686 but is less comfortable to carry in large part due to more sharp angles and edges and a uniform thickness across the grip and slide, and the pistol and in particular the slide are long enough that a full size 1911 starts causing issues sitting down etc in IWB carry.

Double stack semi-autos get even thicker in the grip and high capacity double stack semi-autos are both long and thick in the grip, and that can impact both comfort and conceal-ability.   Plus if you've got a 15 round pistol and you want to carry a spare mag, that extra 15 round mag isn't small or light and further compromises comfort and conceal-ability.  

The point here is that in the same way some shooters take a light, handy M4 carbine and then hang 4 pounds of tactical crap on it and turn it into a modern equivalent of an over weight and slow handling M1 Garand, some shooters carry so much EDC crap that they end up creating a situation where they can't comfortably carry it or conceal it and it compromises the overall purpose for having a concealed handgun in the first place.   If you don't have it on you all the time, you run the risk of not having it when you need it, and if you ever need it, you'll need it real bad and right now.  

If you carry too much crap, you'll start being tempted to leave it off for short trips to the local stab and grab when you need  quart of milk, or you'll start taking it off when you get home and not have it in time if a bad guys kicks in your door.  And if you either can't effectively conceal all that EDC, or you resort to cover garments that scream "I'm packing" you set yourself up to be the first guy shot if something goes down and/or you set your self up to be asked to leave by security people in places that don't encourage concealed carry.  

Don't be that guy.  

Back up guns

If you've chosen your primary well, the only valid reason to have a back up in a civilian self defense role is to have a pistol to hand off to a normally non carrying friend who knows how to use it.   For example, if we're going places that I'm less comfortable going with my non concealed carry wife, I'll carry a Kimber Micro in a pocket holster in my back pocket where I can hand it off to her if we start getting into a situation what we want to back out of.   In effect she's now armed and can lead the way out the way we came while I cover our six as we depart the area.  It's not to take the place of my primary if it fails (it won't), it's to double our potential firepower as a team in a pinch.      

----

With all that said think about what you want a steel frame gun and your overall CCW goals.

The CZ 75 Compact is steel framed, comfortable to carry with a good holster and belt, it's easy to conceal, very reliable, it's capable of excellent combat performance and night sights are available for it.

You can also find compact model CZs with aluminum frames that save a few ounces if weight matters to you.

The FN Hi Power is also steel framed and very reliable, but a little large - on the order of a full sized 1911.  

I am a big fan of the 1911 and I currently carry a Commander sized 1911 in 9mm, in part because 9mm hollow point performance now puts it on par with .45 ACP in the real world, in part because I can deliver 3 A zone hits with 9mm compared to 2 A zone rounds with .45 ACP in the same time frame, and in part because a 1911 in 9mm is a 10+1 pistol rather than an 8+1 pistol (and while 9 round is going to be enough, there's no real downside when you get more rounds in the same pistol form factor).   But mostly, I'm a 1911 fan because they fit my hand extremely well, I shoot them extremely well and the short pull and trigger reset on a 1911 allows for very rapid follow up shots.

In the end, what works for you as a shooter should be your focus.   It's not about "carrying" a concealed handgun, it's about being able to shoot that concealed handgun very effectively  if you ever need to defend yourself.  It won't matter what you carry or how may rounds you brought if you can't use your handgun effectively in the five seconds that you'll have from start to finish.  Pick a reliable handgun that fits you well, that you can shoot well, train to use it effectively and then shoot it often enough to attain and maintain proficiency with it.  And ignore all the other crap you'll be tempted to listen to on the subject of "what should I carry?"
View Quote

Nice post
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Put a 1.5-2 lb ankle weight on and walk around like that for a bit before you buy a pistol like you're thinking of.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Frames

In short:

Magazine capacity

Reliability

Don't be that guy.  

Back up guns

----

View Quote
This is the most informative post I have seen here. EVER. No emotions attached to one particular brand or type of handgun, no bashing what you don't like, nothing.

Take notes people, this is how you communicate properly in a discussion on a gun board such as this one.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Too true, there is a reason nearly every defensive handgun in production today (provided it was designed in the last 15 years or so) is striker fired and has a polymer frame.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too true, there is a reason nearly every defensive handgun in production today (provided it was designed in the last 15 years or so) is striker fired and has a polymer frame.

This.

Your expressed desire for "exposed hammer" makes me think you have in mind some variation of gunshop/movie inspired manual manipulation of the hammer, which is a bad path and may well be highly dangerous.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top