Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2016 11:16:17 PM EDT
Long story short, I have .357 blackhawk that I have carried in the woods, but it's pretty heavy and cumbersome with a 6" barrel. I also have a full size 9mm that is much more friendly to carry but it's also "just" a 9mm. I've been thinking of getting a GP100 because I like .357 and reload for it so can load more or less what I want. However, a GP100 isn't much easier to carry than the blackhawk.

So I started thinking about a 10mm 1911 style. It would be a bit easier to carry, similar ballistics, more rounds and easier to reload. For the record, I'm not worried about bears. In all my years in the woods I've never once needed a gun but if I'm going to carry something I want something versatile, 9mm just seems a bit anemic, and at least not overly cumbersome.

Any thoughts on something like the RIA 1911 in 10mm vs a GP100 with a 4" barrel? Any other similarly priced 1911 10mm? The Dan Wesson, Colt, etc. is too expensive for me. Not interested in a Glock. If I bought a 10mm I'd reload.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:32:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Everything you listed is about the same weight. The Blackhawk is a great woods gun. I think one with a shorter barrel like a 4 5/8 would be better to carry. Also a Stainless model is a good idea.
I also suggest going to a Super Blackhawk in .44 mag which also handles .44 spl . The .44 Spl is a great all around round. very accurate. With the right round a great defense cartridge.

http://ruger.com/products/newModelSuperBlackhawkStandard/specSheets/0814.html

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2118195819/buffalo-bore-ammunition-44-special-255-grain-lead-keith-type-semi-wadcutter-gas-check

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/513688/buffalo-bore-ammunition-44-special-200-grain-hard-cast-wadcutter-anti-personnel-box-of-20
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:33:03 AM EDT
[#2]
If your goal is to shed some weight I would suggest the Sig P320 compact or subcompact in .357 Sig.  

Then shop Underwood for some stout rounds.  That should cover you for any contingency.

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:52:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Storm Lake, KKM, and Lone Wolf all make 10mm barrels for a Glock 20 so you can shoot cast or whatever you want, and you'll still be under the cost of a Colt or Wesson.

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:19:26 AM EDT
[#4]
As much as I love revolvers I would choose a Glock 20 all day for this role. Great for any North American predator, 2 legs or 4 legs.

I use a Glock 21 or 19 (my EDC) for this role currently however in OH we don't have the same 4 legged threat as you do in CO. It's hard to beat the capacity, weight, and ability to quickly reload you get with a semi. I wouldn't feel undergunned with a 1911 in 10mm or even a 357 revolver but I would feel most comfortable with a Glock 20.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:25:36 AM EDT
[#5]
For 10mm I would go with the Glock 40 model for a hunting pistol.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 7:04:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I carry a 9mm most the time in the woods. 99% of the time its used to pot grouse or beaver, or porcipines.

I do carry my .45 blackhawk from time to time. With the aluminum grip and 4 5/8" barrel it is very handy and not that heavy. Lighter than a 1911 at least.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Either a Ruger Blackhawk SS, 4-5/8 .357 Mag, or a Glock 40, 10MM.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the feedback. While I would like to shave some weight, I'm thinking more about bulk. A gp100 is about 40 oz but is also a rather bulky gun with the big grip and cylinder. While a RIA 10mm weights about the same, it seems like it would be less bulky. Maybe that's not actually true. I haven't compared them side by side. A 44 mag redhawk would weight about the same as my blackhawk so no real gain there except it's DA.

I just can't get excited by glocks but I'll check one out and compare.

For those recommending glock, what are the reasons? Lighter weight? Better gun?
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#9]
For whatever it may be worth, I (open) carried a .44 caliber Cap & Ball replica in the woods for many years. (All chambers loaded, but only five capped)

I didn't plan on meeting anything very big.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#10]
S&W M60 .357 is nice and light. Nice sights on the pro shop one I have.
Snake shot shells, .38,.357, it's pretty versatile.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Everything you listed is about the same weight. The Blackhawk is a great woods gun. I think one with a shorter barrel like a 4 5/8 would be better to carry. Also a Stainless model is a good idea.
I also suggest going to a Super Blackhawk in .44 mag which also handles .44 spl . The .44 Spl is a great all around round. very accurate. With the right round a great defense cartridge.

View Quote

I have a blackhawk so not sure I gain much with a super blackhawk, but you got me thinking. A redhawk in 44 mag with a 4 in barrel could be interesting. No easier to carry than the gp100 but more versatile and I'm partial to revolvers to begin with.

http://ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5026.html
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, yes and yes.

Add to it less cost, higher capacity, easier to work on, more reliable, easier and cheaper to modify, cheaper mags...
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't own any glocks but I would definitely buy one for this role if I felt the need to shed the weight. Glock 20 is going to be a drastic improvement in shootability given that it has a much easier to handle trigger than most DA revolvers and carries almost 3 times the rounds. If I was being charged by an angry bear I'd rather have 16 rounds because I'll probably miss a lot of shots. Since you say you're not worried about bears, you could just carry the full size 9mm since 9mm is adequate for pretty much every threat in the woods besides a bear. The 10mm is of course stronger but if you aren't worried about larger predators I don't really see a need for it.

Also, I do think they are more rugged. A revolver is a lot easier to damage during a fall or drop than the glock.

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have a blackhawk so not sure I gain much with a super blackhawk, but you got me thinking. A redhawk in 44 mag with a 4 in barrel could be interesting. No easier to carry than the gp100 but more versatile and I'm partial to revolvers to begin with.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree that the redhawk in 44 is more versatile than the gp100. A gp100 is a very reasonable woods gun and can also function as a reasonable urban CCW gun. A redhawk really only fits in as a woods gun. If you really want to scale down the size/weight and are a revolver guy, how about an SP-101? They offer a variety of barrel lengths and carry easier than your full size 9.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yes, yes and yes.

Add to it less cost, higher capacity, easier to work on, more reliable, easier and cheaper to modify, cheaper mags...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, yes and yes.

I carry a G20sf.

With that being said. Have you looked at .45 super?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/589467742

ETA-I was going to mention these guys again.-Making some bad ass ammo for SD and woods carry guns.

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:]I disagree that the redhawk in 44 is more versatile than the gp100. A gp100 is a very reasonable woods gun and can also function as a reasonable urban CCW gun. A redhawk really only fits in as a woods gun. If you really want to scale down the size/weight and are a revolver guy, how about an SP-101? They offer a variety of barrel lengths and carry easier than your full size 9.
View Quote

I was thinking that a 44 can be loaded down to 357 levels or lower and also use 44 special and then loaded up well beyond 357 so versatile in that sense. It's SA/DA like the gp100 with similar, though slightly heavier, weight. But then that's the dilemma. Something lighter like glock 40 or just a shorter barrel but still somewhat heavy revolver.

I did get a chance to see a glock 40 today and I just can't get excited. While it would be a lightweight woods gun that can carry lots of ammo, I don't want it only for that. I want to be able to go to the range and have fun too. I'm sure it's fun, but not sure it's more fun, to me, than other things I could buy. To me, a 1911 style is more appealing than a glock.

I was originally thinking gp100 or RIA 10mm. I'm still kind of torn on these. I'd get both if I could or maybe will eventually. I might need to keep a redhawk in mind too.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Might need to keep the S&W 60 in mind too as well as the sp101.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a 4" redhawk in .45. It makes a great canoe gun and I have easily concealed it in a kramer scabberd. Its definetly a comfort when sleeping under a tarp in SE AK.

If large bears aren't a major threat then Ill carry a glock. Definetly not the gun you want while reminiscing around the fire at night. But with night sights, a wml, and ease of shooting accurately fast it is the better tool. Light weight andease of maintenance help too. Any service type semi will work.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I guess "woods gun" means different things to different people.  I default to serious hiking and backpacking, where weight makes a huge difference.  Others think of hunting, strolling through the park, car camping, and even canoeing.  

So unless the OP defines what it means to him I think we're just spinning our wheels.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I guess "woods gun" means different things to different people.  I default to serious hiking and backpacking, where weight makes a huge difference.  Others think of hunting, strolling through the park, car camping, and even canoeing.  

So unless the OP defines what it means to him I think we're just spinning our wheels.
View Quote

Agreed. My g19 can do all of that and is my default. Ive hunted deer with it successfully, canoed, etc. If you are covering lots of miles on foot than weight adds up.

Sometimes as a gun enthusiast I just like to shoot/carry different guns.

If I know Im not covering a lot of miles I like my blackhawk, hunting in AK, I like .45 colts, day hikes in RI i just carry my ccw my beretta m9a1 compact.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like you need a Smith & Wesson model 69. It's a five shot 44 mag built on the L frame, with a 4.25 inch barrel.

Since you're a handloader, load a Keith bullet over 10-11 grains of Universal or Unique and you'll be all set.

This one is mine.

With a Galco holster that can be worn strongside or crossdraw.

John Taffin has written several articles about the "Perfect Packin Pistol".  Which is what you are looking for.

Perfect Packin Pistols
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Some other possibilities ...

629 Mountain Gun

Model 29 Mountain Gun, with laser grip

Pre Model 27 3 1/2 inch (hard chrome finish)

Custom Ruger 44 Blackhawk, flat top circa 1960

625 Mountain Gun in 45 ACP

3 screw Blackhawk 357 (made on a smaller frame than new model Blackhawks)

Astra Terminator 3 inch 44 Mag

Model 27 5 inch

Model 36 3 inch, 38 Spl

Model 13, this is one of my most accurate revolvers

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I haven't been backpacking in a long time so mostly I'm talking camping including dispersed and in low use sites, hiking, fishing, and snowshoeing either alone or with my daughter. I seek out remote and low use areas in fall and winter which means encounters are fewer but also no strength in numbers as in busier campgrounds. My 9mm is probably fine most of the time, but the thinking was a 10mm allowed for a bit more range of use. I just don't like most 10mm. I wish the cz 75 came in 10mm.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I think EAA makes a CZ style 10mm, but weight will be similar.

If you must have 10mm then the G29 is going to be the best bet.  If you don't like glocks then I go to my .357 sig suggestion.  Eventually we hope that Sig will produce a 10mm in the P320 series, until then I'm keeping my G20SF.  

I tried hiking with a Ruger Alaskan .44 in either a chest holster (hated it!) or a belt holster; either way it was a freaking boat anchor.  I was doing some long distance big terrain hikes off the trails, and I left the Alaskan home; it was too heavy.  Even though you say you won't be doing that sort of hiking, if you blow a bunch of money on a new gun and jut end up using your current 9mm, or going without, then it was money poorly spent.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#24]
OP you need to define your actual goal ? To yourself !

For an actual carry in the woods pistol that could be used for hunting that is compact IMO nothing beats a 1911 in 10mm.
No glock will give you a trigger as good as a 1911,
if I was only concerned about weight I would go Glock.
If I was only concerned with actual hunting with a handgun I would go revolver !
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I've looked at several different models online but not much around in local shops. Only the RIA in one and a few glocks.

I'm leaning toward a RIA. Might try and save up for something like the Colt Delta some day but for the price the RIA still seems like the best option.

EDIT: Not overly concerned by weight. The gp100 that I was close to buying is 40 oz. I think just about every steel frame model I've considered in going to be similar. Mainly I'm trying to decide between a 1911 style vs revolver. With weight being similar, the pros of a 1911, easier to reload, more rounds, better trigger, a bit less bulky, seem to win out. I'll still need to pick up a DA revolver someday though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't own any glocks but I would definitely buy one for this role if I felt the need to shed the weight. Glock 20 is going to be a drastic improvement in shootability given that it has a much easier to handle trigger than most DA revolvers and carries almost 3 times the rounds. If I was being charged by an angry bear I'd rather have 16 rounds because I'll probably miss a lot of shots. Since you say you're not worried about bears, you could just carry the full size 9mm since 9mm is adequate for pretty much every threat in the woods besides a bear. The 10mm is of course stronger but if you aren't worried about larger predators I don't really see a need for it.
Also, I do think they are more rugged. A revolver is a lot easier to damage during a fall or drop than the glock.

View Quote

This post nails it.
I have a Glock 20. Angry Bears and all.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#27]
G20, with a KKM 6 inch barrel works very well.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I like a G20 in a Hill People Gear Recon Kit Bag.  10mm is admittedly weak for the big browns in the areas I frequent here in MT, but better than a sharp stick.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes, yes and yes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, yes and yes.

My life has no price tag, so cost should not be a genuine concern unless we're breaking a grand here. Higher capacity in a proven round in 10mm is the only reason that I even own a Glock at all. Modify is subjective really. Are you going to carry all those cheap mags with you while in the mountains? If the answer is no, then mag costs are not even a good argument. And the G20 fully loaded is no lightweight.

The G20 is a genuine serious need because of the caliber and capacity, and not the gun.

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My life has no price tag, so cost should not be a genuine concern unless we're breaking a grand here. Higher capacity in a proven round in 10mm is the only reason that I even own a Glock at all. Modify is subjective really. Are you going to carry all those cheap mags with you while in the mountains? If the answer is no, then mag costs are not even a good argument. And the G20 fully loaded is no lightweight.

The G20 is a genuine serious need because of the caliber and capacity, and not the gun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, yes and yes.

wut
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes, yes and yes.

Add to it .... cheaper mags...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, yes and yes.

I've never understood this argument.  The gun comes with two magazines, each holding 15 rounds.  Add one to the chamber and that's 31 rounds.  

31 rounds to walk in the woods?

I carried a 10mm G20SF for years on hikes that were so difficult that I often had to go alone because none of my hiking friends wanted to try.  It took me three tries to get on top of French Peak (solo), Three tries to get on top of Mt O'Neil (solo), two tries to get to Lake 3995 in the Wonder Mountain Wilderness.  These are very difficult destinations without trails to guide the way.  Despite the higher chances of encountering wildlife I still only carried one magazine downloaded to ten rounds.

Cheaper mags might be a benefit if you're going into combat.  I have never gone into combat while hiking.  I really don't understand the silly belief that one needs to be armed to the teeth just to enjoy the wilderness.  Washington has thousands of hikers crawling all over thousands of acres of National Parks, National Forests, and Wilderness Areas.  I would estimate that 98% of them are armed with a folding knife or less.  If there was a problem, we'd be hearing about it.

Be prepared, but be realistic.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:07:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've never understood this argument.  The gun comes with two magazines, each holding 15 rounds.  Add one to the chamber and that's 31 rounds.  

I carried a 10mm G20SF for years on hikes that were so difficult that I often had to go alone because none of my hiking friends wanted to try.  It took me three tries to get on top of French Peak (solo), Three tries to get on top of Mt O'Neil (solo), two tries to get to Lake 3995 in the Wonder Mountain Wilderness.  These are very difficult destinations without trails to guide the way.  Despite the higher chances of encountering wildlife I still only carried one magazine downloaded to ten rounds.

Cheaper mags might be a benefit if you're going into combat.  I have never gone into combat while hiking.  I really don't understand the silly belief that one needs to be armed to the teeth just to enjoy the wilderness.  Washington has thousands of hikers crawling all over thousands of acres of National Parks, National Forests, and Wilderness Areas.  I would estimate that 98% of them are armed with a folding knife or less.  If there was a problem, we'd be hearing about it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, yes and yes.

Some people like to practice. Magazines will eventually wear out. They wear out faster with lots of practice.

I agree with you on carrying a full combat load out while backpacking.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Any thoughts on how that compares to a Rock Island like this one (other than twice the cost)? I know some of the EAA models are much cheaper.

http://armscor.com/firearms/rock-series/rock-ultra-fs-hc-10mm/
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Any thoughts on how that compares to a Rock Island like this one (other than twice the cost)? I know some of the EAA models are much cheaper.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

While Rock Island makes a fine entry level gun, Tanfoglio is in another league. If the price of the Hunter is too high you can get the lower model Tanfoglios cheaper. Check out the Witness Match Elite, available in 10mm, disregard the MSRP on their website, they sell in the real world for cheaper than that.

https://eaacorp.com/index.php/guns/handguns/witness-elite-match-93
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#36]
I take a S&W 629.

.44 magnum, 3" barrel. Nothing really dangerous on four legs here, just the rare wild hog or group of feral dogs.

Not a very practical gun, I guess, but a lot of fun...........
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Remington has a new 10mm Long Slide 1911.

If you really like 10mm and Revolvers you can always look for a good old S&W 610.

Mine 610 (no dash) 6.5 inch 10mm Auto on the last day of gun season last year in my favorite deer stand.

S&W 610s are getting hard to find but if you don't mind spending a little you can have a GP100 converted to 10mm Auto.

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/rugerdarevolvers.html

A good holster and belt can make a big difference to how comfortable a gun is to carry.

My everyday woods gun when I am on the tractor or working around the hunting property is just an old S&W Model 10-11 4-inch heavy barrel.  Got no bear to speak of where I hunt so some good 38 Special +P hand loads is all I need.  With my good Safariland holster and a stiff belt I can carry it all day and barely know I am carrying it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#38]
A few years ago I picked up a Ruger GP100 as a dedicated woods gun. Beautiful revolver and incredibly accurate.

Over time i found myself leaving it at home due to weight and capacity.

I had a "wake up moment" this summer due to intoxicated boaters firing towards my campsite. Everything got sorted out without any violence ( they were too drunk and dumb to consider there might be people camping alongside the lake), but in that moment I felt woefully unprepared with only six rounds of 357 in the gun and 6 on a speed strip dealing with a two legged threat.

I wound up getting a police trade in sig 226 in .40 that is now my woods gun. the weight is about the same but the capacity and reload speed is a lot better. Sig reliability and night sights for only 500 bucks and i dont feel bad for abusing it.

For what it is worth I strongly recommend the HPG recon kit bag. An easy way to carry your pistol, spare mag, flashlight, knife, first aid, ect, and in my case fishing crap.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/1/ProductID/5/Default.aspx
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. For the time being I think I'll just stick with my 9mm. Not too hard to carry and I can easily carry more ammo with 1 or 2 extra mags than I'm ever likely to need. However, a gp100, a 1911 in 10mm and maybe a redhawk in 44 mag are now on my list. If I could find a pre-lock S&W I might need one of those too.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#41]
My preference is a 4" S&W 629 (Not a fan of Ruger's DA/SA revolvers)

The beauty about a .44 Magnum is you can load anything from a bunny-fart plinking load all the way up to a full house magnum load.

I usually carry mine with 3 light loads and 3 hot loads in the cylinder, indicated by the color of the brass.  Its a super versatile platform.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had a 10mm Glock and sold it (replaced with a Colt Delta Elite)

It was huge, bulky, hard to hold onto due to the gigantic grip, and the trigger was "squishy".   Surprisingly accurate though.

For a woods gun I either carry the Delta Elite, or a Dan Wesson .357 fitted with a 4" barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top