Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2016 10:55:13 PM EDT
I plan to take one last trip on the bike in a few weeks to see some friends in the Baltimore area. I will be leaving from IN and will be in OH, PA, WV and MD.  If I take the gun off and leave it in my room while in MD am I leagal to carry it on my person in MD on the trip out and when I head back home? MD is the only state that does not honor my IN permit.  I believe I know the answer. What say you?
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 4:19:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a lawyer...........
but no. Technically you'd only be covered if you were passing THROUGH Maryland and the gun was inaccessible at the time.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:03:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope. Also from handgunlaw:

If you interrupt your trip while in Maryland, you come under state law, and may not transport a handgun even unloaded and cased, except to a few designated destinations (range, residence, etc.) without a Maryland Permit.

Also:

Notice:

Maryland has a unit called, "Maryland Coordination and Analysis Center.” They have license plate reader cameras around the state that read license plates of vehicles. Some are connected to Criminal Background Check programs and Permit/License Holder lists from the different states that will supply them with that information. Do use caution when even driving through Maryland. They can know if you have a firearms permit/license without even stopping you.

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Good replies. Thank you! Not my original understanding, so thank you for helping me stay out of jail.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I live just north of the PA/MD border and absolutely loathe entering Maryland, so I rarely do.

Work takes me down that way from time to time and, in truth, that's the ONLY time I cross the border.

Sadly, because of our new commie governor, gas, beer and cig's are now CHEAPER in Maryland(!), so I am softening my stance a little - but, not enough to go there for anything but work . . . yet.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope. Also from handgunlaw:If you interrupt your trip while in Maryland, you come under state law, and may not transport a handgun even unloaded and cased, except to a few designated destinations (range, residence, etc.) without a Maryland Permit.
Also:
Notice:
Maryland has a unit called, "Maryland Coordination and Analysis Center.” They have license plate reader cameras around the state that read license plates of vehicles. Some are connected to Criminal Background Check programs and Permit/License Holder lists from the different states that will supply them with that information. Do use caution when even driving through Maryland. They can know if you have a firearms permit/license without even stopping you.
View Quote

Wow... f**king just wow!
That's really creepy.

And thanks for that info.  I drove through the western end of MD last month (everything unloaded & locked up tight).  But nice to know, even though I believe that PA counties don't supply that info (I'm pretty sure our own State Police don't have it).
But nice to know about anyway.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't categorize MD as a "state that does not honor my permit". It's a state that actively prohibits any possession or transportation of handguns and actively seeks out those who might be doing so for arrest and prosecution. I would not transport any firearm into MD, along with a few other new england states with similar tyrannical practices toward firearms owners.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#7]
MD State Police will run your plates and see you have a CCW and when they stop you cavity search you and your car. Yes, they target out of state CCW holders.

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
MD State Police will run your plates and see you have a CCW and when they stop you cavity search you and your car. Yes, they target out of state CCW holders.  
View Quote

This is why I will not drive through Illinois again...
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:51:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Illinois is no problem, transportation of firearms through Illinois is completely legal and they even recognize all out of state carry permits for in-vehicle handgun carry.

It is important to recognize jurisdictions that are a problem, it is also important to recognize jurisdictions that are not.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:03:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow! I had no idea MD was that much worse than IL. Glad I asked.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Here is Federal Statute on transportation.

Federal statute: Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. (18 U.S.C. 926A, 27 CFR 178.38.)

Even if you are in compliance with (18 U.S.C. 926A, 27 CFR 178.38.) this does not mean that Maryland will not try to ruin your trip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top