Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2016 9:08:48 PM EDT
Just got hired by a LE agency, wearing suits to work, will be in court a lot, but doing some field work, carrying G22.

What's a good OWB holster that fits a normal belt(not duty belt). Needs minimum retention, but some would be great.

Price is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Bianchi Serpent Model 56?  Nice leather holster w/thumb snap.  Looks like it holds the pistol fairly close.

~$50 from Optics Planet.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Are there any agency rules for the holster?

And what type of agency are you working for?  No uniforms?
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Bianchi model 7 shadow 2 leather holster. Three slot pancake holster with thumb break. It will disappear under a suit.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are there any agency rules for the holster?

And what type of agency are you working for?  No uniforms?
View Quote

No uniforms, as of yet.

Only rules I know of are minimal retention for office/court setting. But field work requires level 2.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 5:19:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Safariland 6377. Has ALS retention can be purchased in multiple finishes. Only costs around $40 +\- depending on finish. I use one with a paddle attachment which is the 6378 (same holster just different belt attachment) on the rare occasions I work plain clothes.

If you really want leather, any option with a thumb break from a reputable manufacturer would work just fine.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 7:47:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Safariland 6377. Has ALS retention can be purchased in multiple finishes. Only costs around $40 +\- depending on finish. I use one with a paddle attachment which is the 6378 (same holster just different belt attachment) on the rare occasions I work plain clothes.

If you really want leather, any option with a thumb break from a reputable manufacturer would work just fine.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#7]
with a suit you need leather.  Bianchi Remedy 57.  Good and cheap.  Sub $50 if you look around.  Winthrop holsters is a good fall back for around the same price if you'd rather support a small business in the US.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Again, This^

The 6378 is my "go to" holster for plain clothes work

I recommend the paddle over the belt attachment, It keeps the holster close to your body and it does not move around

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Not LE, have a Bianchi 130, thumbreak, not bad looking, holds tight to the body. Easily taken off and put on if need be.
Can be converted to IWB, but sucks for it. Fixed cant could be an issue I suppose.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#11]
You want something much closer to the body than any paddle holster will be as you'll be wearing out the lining of your jackets if you don't.  Also, whichever holster you choose, select one that has the belt loops spread as far apart as practicable.  This will help with overall comfort level by hours 8 and 9.  Something like this:

http://www.safariland.com/products/holsters-and-gear/holsters/concealable-holsters/inside-waistband/model-130-classified-belt-slide-holster-34001.html#sz=12&start=54

I highly recommend these belts also, no metal liner but they flex just enough to allow some comfort.  Recently bought two from this retailer and the the 2-3 week wait for brown (custom ordered with a silver buckle instead of brass) was really only 2-3 weeks.  They are back savers and 1/3 the price of others...

http://www.gorilla911.com/boston-leather-6450-feather-edge-1-dress-belt-1/

http://www.gorilla911.com/boston-leather-6425-feather-edge-1-dress-belt-1/
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I swear by X-Concealment holsters. I carry a G21 under a button down shirt and it barely prints and rides high on the waist line with minimal kydex . It should do just fine under a jacket. Try the "M" Series Mod 2 Compact Holster. I can carry a 21 all day long if I have to
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the Safariland 130 for my G19 when I wear dress clothing/suits. Conceals nicely and holds the gun close to the body. Comfortable to wear all day even with a thin dress belt. (The belt loops help spread the weight out.) Looks nicer than a plastic holster.

I use a Safariland 6378/7TS for everyday plainclothes wear (polo/tac pants--was my everyday uniform when I was a detective).

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#14]
The 6378 is going to be a little bulky under a suite, other than that it is a fantastic holster.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#15]
6377 or 6378 are good

Also take a look as a 6518

" />
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#16]
All the guys suggesting one of the safariland holsters are right, they are terrific holsters, but for wearing under a suit or sport coat the paddles just stick out way too far. I recommend the Aker Flatsider for a pistol that size so you can wear it closer to your body. I think you'll find most officers will be using some kind of leather pancake OWB belt loop holster for that application.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#17]
What do they mean by "minimal retention" usually a certain level is specified.

This was always my court rig before I switched agencies. I like the leather w/ belt loops because it's much tighter to the body than the paddle holsters I've tried.

http://www.galcogunleather.com/cop-slide-holster_8_4_1069.html
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Just about any of the three slot pancake style should work.  Almost everyone makes one.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been thinking about this one:

http://www.fist-holsters.com/novoerfide/owb-holsters/sampel-12h-159i-160l-167-177-182-detail.html

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This was always my court rig before I switched agencies. I like the leather w/ belt loops because it's much tighter to the body than the paddle holsters I've tried.

View Quote

That's what I'm talking about.  Very similar to the Aker Flatsider.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

That one (or similar) would be good if you want a lower profile than the Safariland, but less retention. I wear the Safariland but I rarely were my suit jacket (I also carry a G35 with a TLR-1, so a big gun). The jacket covers it but it's not exactly incognito. I figure the badge gives it away anyways.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good answer. Carried it for quite awhile. The action is similar to their hooded holster, so going back and forth is easy.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I retired from a federal LE agency and our holsters were not required to have retention. My favorite holster was the Blade Tech Eclipse. It is kydex, very streamlined (great for concealment under a suit coat), and pulls the weapon closer in toward the body. I wore this holster on and off duty as well as times I had to go to court. Most days I wore a vest or 5.11 shirts to cover my weapon, spare magazines, handcuff case, and flashlight.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#24]
detective Bobby Simone used to wear a Bianchi PDQ!  

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a couple of the ALS holsters, one for a Glock 19, one for a 1911.  They are great, excellent retention.  

For traditional leather, I have a three-slot El Paso Double Agent (screw retention under the trigger guard, but no thumb break or anything like that.).  Very comfy, rock solid, and can be switched from strong-side to cross-draw. Don't know if it would meet you field requirement for level two retention, though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#26]
If you don't mind a wait, Ted Blocker's G1 is a good thumbreak holster for business wear. Slim enough to not require tailoring, rides high enough for comfortable driving and very well made.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
6377 or 6378 are good

Also take a look as a 6518

http://<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/commanderjb/DSCF2046.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Is that SLS only? If so I highly suggest to stay away for duty use. Used to have an SLS only holster until a foot chase caused my swinging arm to push the hood down and my G17 popped out and hit the ground. Luckily I noticed it but had to stop to pick it up.

Still caught the shit bag too. Of course he wasn't wearing shoes so I had that going for me.

I would choose thumb break before SLS only but if I was only having one retention system I would pick ALS. Of course this is just my experience. I'm sure a similar thing has happened with an ALS only holster as well so take it for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, and a solid gun belt too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#29]
This is the way this is supposed to work...set aside a drawer at home, and start buying holsters and some other gear and start filling it up. One more consideration...you may the ultimate holster, but will it work with a lightweight t-shirt style ballistic vest, or a heavier tactical type vest?

(I hate these threads...because I had to go looking, but the Galco Fed Paddle Holster is pretty good and Natchez has them on sale for $53 and change)

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
detective Bobby Simone used to wear a Bianchi PDQ!  

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/liveforhuntin/image.jpg1_11.jpg
View Quote

I have one! they are hard to find.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Safariland ALS if you need active retention.

For a suit with no active retention necessary, I like the Milt-Sparks 55BN.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top