Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2016 2:10:43 PM EDT
I can not, for the life of me, find a company that makes shoulder holsters for a 5" 1911 with a weapon light, specifically a S&W 1911 with an x300u. If any of you have suggestions or know of a place, I am all ears!
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you that dead set on getting a shoulder holster?  Planning on spending time in Miami?
You may have a hard find on your hands because not many shoulder holster have weapon light capability.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Im set on a shoulder holster haha.
I want to use it when wearing my suit, and I have other carry options for typical IWB/OWB carry.
I may ask a local custom leather shop if they can make it happen.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im set on a shoulder holster haha.
I want to use it when wearing my suit, and I have other carry options for typical IWB/OWB carry.
I may ask a local custom leather shop if they can make it happen.
View Quote

You are probably going to be looking at kydex for that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Would prefer leather, but I willing to look into a kydex holster itself that could be ran on a shoulder rig system.
This is proving to be more trouble than I had anticipated! I want this system though. Im surprised nobody seems to be making these...
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
OP ever use a shoulder holster ? I have years ago and they suck big hairy balls.
They sound like a good idea but it's the most uncomfortable way to carry ever.

I have used horizontal and vertical shoulder holsters for 1911's, Sig 226 and other pistols and actually have them in a duffel bag in my closet where they have been sitting for the last 30 years.

TV and movies make them look great but it is a medieval torture device.

When I first started to CCW in the 1980's my first gun was a S&W 6" 686 revolver that I carried in a Bianchi shoulder holster. As soon as I could afford it I got a Officers 1911 and a belt holster and never looked back.

Why do you think they are not a popular method of carry? They pretty much went extinct because they suck.

Link Posted: 8/3/2016 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP ever use a shoulder holster ? I have years ago and they suck big hairy balls.They sound like a good idea but it's the most uncomfortable way to carry ever.

I have used horizontal and vertical shoulder holsters for 1911's, Sig 226 and other pistols and actually have them in a duffel bag in my closet where they have been sitting for the last 30 years.

TV and movies make them look great but it is a medieval torture device.
When I first started to CCW in the 1980's my first gun was a S&W 6" 686 revolver that I carried in a Bianchi shoulder holster. As soon as I could afford it I got a Officers 1911 and a belt holster and never looked back.

Why do you think they are not a popular method of carry? They pretty much went extinct because they suck.

View Quote

But Lethal Weapon and Miami Vice.........

I tried my friends on once it it was terrible I would honestly rather have a drop leg holster before a shoulder.  No matter what the weight is not balanced, draw sucks, and the constant flippity floppity of the handgun feels weird.  It might be better if the handgun was something along the lines of a Ruger LCP but anything with weight is terrible.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Have you ever worn a should holster for any length of time?

Have you practiced drawing from shoulder holsters?
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#8]
You guys all bring up fantastic points.

In all honesty, I only want it for the Miami Vice aspect. This will be worn exclusively underneath my suit jacket for nights out. I hate tuckable IWB, so this is the only other route I see going, and i'll just keep my suit jacket on...
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You guys all bring up fantastic points.

In all honesty, I only want it for the Miami Vice aspect. This will be worn exclusively underneath my suit jacket for nights out. I hate tuckable IWB, so this is the only other route I see going, and i'll just keep my suit jacket on...
View Quote

If you have no prolem just leaving a jacket on to cover a holster, why not consider a nice OWB leather holster? I would imagine it would be much more comfortable to carry that way. Just saying.

Either way, good luck with the search.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Not a terrible idea. I just figured that a shoulder holster would be easier to keep concealed than an OWB. Something i'll look into though!
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I carried in one for 12-15 years and loved them.  Get it adjusted right, it might take several tries over a period of days.  Don't drop it low and connect it to your belt, it's not a pair of suspenders.  Raise it up under your armpit and it won't swing around if you're not doing cartwheels.  Don't go cheap. I much prefer horizontal types, but I've carried in a number of vertical holsters.  

The only reason I stopped using them is I moved to a place where it's too hot for 8 months out of the year for a cover garment.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had similar experiences with others on here. Then again mine was a cheaper nylon rig and maybe I didn't adjust it right. Caused nothing but back aches for me.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:57:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Look at Alessi or his understudy Ritchie who has his own shop now. Hands down the best shoulder holster around, and skip Ritchie will make anything you want just give a call. Expensive but worth it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top