Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2016 12:26:32 PM EDT
Looking to give IWB a try again and can't decide if I want to give appendix carry a try or just stick with regular behind the hip location. I used to carry behind the hip in a Comptac Mtac but it was too bulky and not comfortable for me, after a day of carrying the bulk of the gun/holster pulling back on my pants and belt would cause the front to dig into my gut. Plus it was hard to hide a full size M&P with anything other than a bulky jacket of shirt. Appendix carry seems like it would be a lot easier to conceal the larger gun but would it be more comfortable?

Either way I'm looking at T.Rex holsters, the Nomad for regular IWB or the Raptor for AIWB, probably get the full sweat guard so I can trim it to my liking. Gun is an M&P9 FS with APEX DCAEK kit if it makes a difference.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I like AIWB when I'm going to be standing for a long while and/or id rather not print.
Sitting in a vehicle or a chair with the gun jammed into your organs is no bueno and i don't like having to holster/unholster every time I change positions.

Here lately I've gone back to 4:00 carry
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I've gone from behind the hip to AIWB almost exclusively. It's way more comfortable for me, almost no risk of printing, and I can sit in a chair or in a car seat and still be able to draw and drive without something poking into me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 6:08:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've gone from behind the hip to AIWB almost exclusively. It's way more comfortable for me, almost no risk of printing, and I can sit in a chair or in a car seat and still be able to draw and drive without something poking into me.
View Quote

^this for me as well. It all depends on your body type/size, how you wear your pants, and the equipment used. I recommend Trex since you are already looking at them, I have a bunch of their holsters and love them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I had the same experience as you with every holster I tried for behind the hip carry. I have gone to AIWB exclusively. I use the holster in the pic below. I bought it on ebay, of all places, from seller thanksman232. It is very comfortable for me either standing or sitting. I see no need to ever carry behind the hip again. I had a T-Rex Raptor for the Sig P320C I used to carry but I find this holster to be even more comfortable and I prefer the clip location & style, as well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm sold on AIWB. I use a T.rex sidecar holster. I have a Raptor as well and you could use it like a Nomad so that might be a good option for you to go either way with it.

I can carry a bigger and heavier gun midline than I can at my 4-5 o'clock. Works well for me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty happy with my G-Code INCOG
I can carry AIWB or IWB if I want to carry AIWB I just ditch one of the clips.  The fuzz is a big deal makes the kydex against skin so much better feeling.

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I could never find a comfortable way to carry a pistol in the last 30 plus years of carrying till now.

OWB , IWB, ankle holsters, shoulder holsters you name it,some worked OK but always there was something that made the carry method and holster suck with different pistols I have carried through the years.

When I moved to FL it was even worse with the heat so I went to a pocket holster and a Kahr PM9 ,but felt under gunned.

I bought a IWB kydex holster from High-Noon holsters for my new CZ P-01 and tried it at 3 o'clock and it wasn't horrible but mostly like the rest.

So I tried using the HN holster as a AIWB Holster and it was a lot better but not made as a AIWB holster.

I then decided to try a dedicated AIWB holster and decided on the Stealth Gear AIWB holster because of the material used because of the Florida heat.

Now I have only had the holster a few weeks, but having carried for a good portion of my life this is the way to carry for me that's the most comfortable.And the SG holster I believe is making the difference with the padded back against my skin.

I'm not a skinny guy as I'm 53 years old and have the belly thing going on but even with the stomach it's the best way that I have found that I can carry for the whole day and not feel like taking the pistol off and throwing it in the garbage because it's so uncomfortable.

I'm not recommending Stealth Gear holsters as much as I'm recommending AIWB carry.

Now I know that you really need to be aware to not blow your balls off or shooting your self in your arteries.

But as long as your aware of the one pitfall that can be overcome if your careful,I believe AIWB carry is the best so far that I've found ,I'm sold. YMMV

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry my Shield and Glock 27 AIWB, or OWB, mainly depends on if I'm working or not. AIWB is my go to carry method for my Shield and Glock 27, because it conceals so fucking well, and working retail, it's always a good idea to stay as concealed as possible.

If I carry my G23 with TLR-1, it's IWB at 3:30-4:00. Those are the main 3 guns I carry.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive never carried any other way, just felt right on day 1.

I do sometimes carry an LCP in my front pocket but IWB is AIWB only. Doesn't matter which gun but bigger than a G19 is uncomfortable IMO.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Tried appendix, found out it was the worst way to carry. No advantages and lots of disadvantages. Back to OWB or IWB at the 4:00 where everything is perfect for me. If I need to draw while seated in my car, that's what the holstered to the car pistol is for. Solid retention 24/7. No hype at all.

If appendix works for you, do it. If it doesn't, find your niche that does.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I went ahead and ordered the T.Rex Raptor. Figured I could try it in the appendix location and if that doesn't work for me I could take the claw off and use it like the Nomad. Right now I've been using a KT Mec OWB rig and it works fine in the winter but I'm not able to carry in the summer without printing unless I dress like a slob.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Been running mine at 1:30/2:00 with a decent amount of cant and it is working well sitting and standing, added bonus is that I don't  have to think about blowing off personal body parts.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Im curious, has anyone ever taken one of the Apen. holsters with the claw and tried to wear it at the standard 3-4 o'clock position IWB?  Its where I usually carry mine but always have to be aware of the bottom of the grip making an obvious appearance through my shirt.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 3:16:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Im curious, has anyone ever taken one of the Apen. holsters with the claw and tried to wear it at the standard 3-4 o'clock position IWB?  Its where I usually carry mine but always have to be aware of the bottom of the grip making an obvious appearance through my shirt.
View Quote

I toyed with it(keep in mind that I carry appendix position exclusively). The main reason I carry appendix is because I have a really hard time concealing a pistol on my right side, just because of my body type and not wearing overly baggy clothing.

The holster works well at 3-4 oclock, TOO well actually. It ends up tucking the grip so tightly against my hip/side that I couldn't get a good firing grip on the draw, I couldn't get comfortable with it, but I don't normally carry in that position either, so it may be something that you can get used to with training.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I carry at about 8'' now.  (Left handed)

Been using an inside the waist band holster that I had custom made out of kydex by a local guy.

Works really well.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I tried AIWB and hated it... I like to carry IWB at about 5:00

The guys who can carry AIWB seem to really like it

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I tried AIWB and hated it... I like to carry IWB at about 5:00

The guys who can carry AIWB seem to really like it

View Quote

I agree.... I tried to like it but due to prior injuries AIWB is intensely painful in certain positions for me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I went ahead and ordered the T.Rex Raptor. Figured I could try it in the appendix location and if that doesn't work for me I could take the claw off and use it like the Nomad. Right now I've been using a KT Mec OWB rig and it works fine in the winter but I'm not able to carry in the summer without printing unless I dress like a slob.
View Quote
The Raptor is a good rig.  I own two; one for a G19 and one for a Shield.  Very comfortable.

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 12:01:12 AM EDT
[#19]
From my experience carrying for 30 years or so I find appendix VERY dependent on body shape height and torso length. Most all that say it is great tend to be tall long torso low body fat types. I have the spare tire that develops in the late 40's/ early 50's and have a short torso as well appendix is hell for me
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I like both.

If im wearing a tshirt im probably wearing aiwb.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top