This is a problem I wish I had!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
My safe is too full.

This is a problem I wish I had!
Buy a smaller safe to make it look full?

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#3]
There are real dangers both in carrying with a round in the chamber and carrying a gun with an empty chamber.  

I personally feel that the risks of an ND are minimized by staying vigilant in regard to safe handling and by carrying a modern firearm.  I am more afraid of being behind the curve in a rapidly unfolding dynamic event so I carry with one in the pipe.  That said a firearm that needs to be racked after the draw is still better than no firearm on you at all if things go sideways.

Like everything from firearm size, manner of dress, caliber choice, holster options, holster location, it's a game of compromises and picking what you are comfortable with while accepting the limitations/risks of your choice. Training for the limitations of your choices can help to minimize them.  

I don't think that there is a universal answer here, just what is right for each of us.

This hits the nail on the head for me. All this chest pumping is ridiculous......
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:08:50 AM EDT
[#4]
It stays in the holster. I carry with one in the chamber. I don't unload/reload unless I clean or I've shot it at the range.

Holstered pistol stays at my bedside (no kids at home).
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:32:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I store it loaded, in a holster if its kydex or on its own if the holster is leather (never store a gun in leather, it'll rust).

When my dad had us he kept his duty gun in his gunbelt in his closet and his HD gun in his nightstand, and made sure we knew not to go into the master bedroom without permission. Even when we were in elementary school we knew the guns were there and had handled them with permission (and him next to us) multiple times, it never seemed like a big deal.

ETA: The only guns in my house that are unloaded are either in the safe or being worked on. It's pretty useless to have a serviceable gun out of the safe without ammo in it.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Night stand gun is a Glock 21 SF with a Streamlight TLR-1 my 2 daily carry guns are a Glock 19 and Smith Shield, the Shield goes on the dresser and the Glock 19 in my work attaché case. If I only had the one for CCW it would be on the dresser with the Streamlight, then back into a holster when leaving home.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I store mine loaded in a quick access safe.  Keeps the kids out.
View Quote

This, otherwise it would stay out.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Stored in holster, loaded, on nightstand. The only time it gets unloaded is for cleaning/oiling or range trip.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Stored in holster, loaded, on nightstand. The only time it gets unloaded is for cleaning/oiling or range trip.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Take it out, put it somewhere in the bedroom. Maybe play with it a minute, pop the round out and stick a snap cap in and do a couple dry fires. Sometimes just admire those Italian curves.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:12:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Just ordered this biometric safe from Amazon. Will store loaded guns for me and my wife access during the day

I installed it and it works fine, my wife has some weird skin surface with weak visible lines and it take little more time to read it

Link Posted: 8/3/2016 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I store mine loaded in a quick access safe.  Keeps the kids out.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I store it loaded, in a holster if its kydex or on its own if the holster is leather (never store a gun in leather, it'll rust).

When my dad had us he kept his duty gun in his gunbelt in his closet and his HD gun in his nightstand, and made sure we knew not to go into the master bedroom without permission. Even when we were in elementary school we knew the guns were there and had handled them with permission (and him next to us) multiple times, it never seemed like a big deal.

ETA: The only guns in my house that are unloaded are either in the safe or being worked on. It's pretty useless to have a serviceable gun out of the safe without ammo in it.
View Quote

I know it's odd but I've been storing guns in leather holsters for 5+ years off and on and never had one rust. Must be the CLP impregnated in the metal?

I carried a G26 appendix for 2 years in a leather holster while working 40hrs/wk etc and that thing got sweaty as shit. Was in there probably 23-24 hrs a day.

Also done this (not as sweaty) with a stainless revolver and cheap blued pistols and still no rust.

Go figure.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, only I store mine on a high dresser out of reach of my child.

OP, carry with a round in the chamber. There's no reason not to. I've carried a gun every single day for the last ten years (on/off duty) and the gun has never discharged on its own.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Stays loaded and goes back in the safe to be retrieved in the morning.  I pocket carry at work so my HD weapons are bigger.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 10:52:52 PM EDT
[#16]
By coincidence I just came across this article today.   Good common sense.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/10/9/sheriffs-tips-empty-chambers/

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Loaded in holster in alien gear docking station that is fastened to the bottom of my bed. It is hidden from sight when standing but easily grabbed from laying on bed if needed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

same
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#19]
DA/SA with safety.  I carry loaded, when holstered the gun is decocked, safety off.  When it's out of the holster it's decocked, safety on.  At home it either stays in the holster or if I'm wearing sweats I'll put it in a Smart Carry.  In bed it's on the nightstand, no holster.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:14:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Goes on the nightstand when I go to bed. ALWAYS one in the chamber!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#21]
My carry guns, mostly 1911s, stay loaded cocked and locked in the holster. I have a Shield 9mm and it stays loaded as well. All my guns have a round in the chamber! They either go in my night stand or in a 3 drawer plastic file cabinet next to my computer desk where I spend much time of my free time cruising gun forums!! If they go into my safe they stay loaded. The only time I unload them is for doing some work on them or cleaning them.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 12:05:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I always remember a story a buddy told me when I first got into firearms and got my first carry gun. He said a friend of his was in the shower when a couple no-gooders broke into his house, no shots were fired but it did end in an armed confrontation(assumedly with a naked dude ). Since then I keep mine on the floormat right outside the shower so its nearby.

Ive even thought about buying a cheap used beater G19 to have as a "shower Glock," oh how my wife would LOVE that
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine stays loaded with 15+1 at all times. Get up in the morning and put clothes on, press check weapon to double check status, then strap it on for the day. When I get home I usually take the holster off and lay it on the couch beside me when I'm lounging around watching tv or playing on the tablet before bed. Then it goes on the nightstand where it sleeps until morning, then do it all over again.

No kids in the house so no worries there yet, but we have several young nieces/nephews that come over often so all my stuff gets locked up except whatever I'm carrying at the time.

My carry holster is a Trex Arms sidecar (which I highly recommend if you like aiwb carry) with the integrated spare mag, and I carry a G17 mag as a spare which gives me 33rds of Gold Dot in 9mm

ETA: am I the only one who has their ccw nearby when in the shower if nobody else is in the house? Wife works opposite shift so no one is at home when I am there.

I have it on the counter right outside the shower. Always within reach. I assumed everyone did that...
That's what the toilet paper wall thingy is for

I always remember a story a buddy told me when I first got into firearms and got my first carry gun. He said a friend of his was in the shower when a couple no-gooders broke into his house, no shots were fired but it did end in an armed confrontation(assumedly with a naked dude ). Since then I keep mine on the floormat right outside the shower so its nearby.

Ive even thought about buying a cheap used beater G19 to have as a "shower Glock," oh how my wife would LOVE that

I occasionally relax in the bath and read.

The roscoe sits on the edge of the tub under my towel.

Otherwise, loaded and on the floor next to the bed under a shirt by my dog.

Link Posted: 11/11/2016 1:06:02 AM EDT
[#23]
every handgun i own is loaded with a round in the chamber every day.
whichever one I'm carrying goes with me. At the end of the day it goes in the safe, holster and mag pouch go on a table in the closet. I then either pull the handgun out for nightstand duty, or i grab a different handgun for nightstand duty.

when i first started carrying i would unload my handgun when i got home, then i noticed round setback on bullets that were getting cycled a lot. Carry ammo is expensive, and unloading was unnecessary and introduces more chances for me to make a mistake.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 3:51:23 AM EDT
[#24]
My G19 is fully loaded, all the time, in its RCS holster.  At night, the gun comes off my belt and goes into my nightstand drawer, still chambered and holstered, until returning to my belt in the morning.  My pocket carry LCP lives by the same rules.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 4:55:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Pass out on couch with it in my pants lol
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Glock 17 lives in a MedicineMan OWB. It stays loaded and chambered 24/7. At night it sits holstered on my bedside table beside my 14.5 BCM AR. Wife keep my CZ Scorpion with KAK Brace on her side of the bed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Take my duty gun out of the holster and put it on my nightstand. Wake up, put pants on, put holster on, holster gun. Gun is always loaded. I have no kids and I keep my finger off the trigger
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Its always loaded and in the holster unless I'm at the range.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Before bed out and into a small pistol safe up high.  I usually put a TLR-1 on it at this time as well.  I usually close and lock it if I'm going to be out of the room then as I go to bed it comes out and goes on the night stand.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I do not carry one in the chamber....
View Quote

Great way to end up a statistic....
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Extended mag inserted, chamber clear, and attached to a magnet under the top of the nightstand. During the day, when the wife's daycare is open, it goes into a bedside safe.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#33]
When I take my pants off, the gun ( loaded ) simply goes onto my night stand along with the spare mag. It's been said a lot all ready, but if you uncomfortable caring a loaded weapon you need to train more. Find a pro and go take a class.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I do not carry one in the chamber but am seriously considering it. This discussion is not about carrying one in the chamber but how you handle the gun at the end of the day? Do you store it loaded in a small bedside safe? Do you unload it before storing it? The next day, what procedure do you use to put one in the chamber and still have a full magazine if you unload it before bet?
View Quote

Loaded in the holster either on my computer desk or on the nightstand next to my bed.  Generally one in each location.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 4:40:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, save mine makes a stop on my desk till it's time for bed. In holster of course. 

P938/cz75sp01 depending on the mood
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:17:07 AM EDT
[#36]
My G22 stays loaded and secured in its holster on my duty belt every night. My G19 stays loaded, bedside, within reach, every night. When I'm off duty, I carry my Shield loaded, AIWB in a Phlster Skeleton 2. I love this holster because of its minimalist design and because I can administratively load, unload, and manipulate the weapon while it stays holstered. The key to carrying with one in the chamber is to not be a dumb ass.

https://youtu.be/6Ge5l-LwuAI

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:42:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup and a press check in the morning to make sure it is still loaded. More peace of mind than anything.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#38]
When I get home my carry/duty pistol comes out of the holster (loaded with one in the chamber) and goes in the safe.  My "nightsand gun" comes out and follows me around the house (on whatever end-table is closest) until I go to bed.  Next day my nightstand gun goes in the safe and carry/duty gun comes out and goes in my holster.

Wash, rinse, repeat...

I know you probably don't want to hear about the round in the chamber debate, but honestly if you don't feel comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber you probably have no business carrying.  Your holster should cover the trigger when concealed, and unless you are negligent in your own actions it's not going to jump out of your holster and discharge itself.  In other words you are the only variable factor.

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#39]
I take it out of the holster and put it in it's "high storage location".

If it was a rainy day, or a sweated a lot, I let it dry, field strip it and then lube and put it back in it's high storage location till the next day.

If it's been a week or two since the last field stripping and oiling I'll do that, whether it was a bad/wet day or not.

The next day, when I go out, I put it back in it's holster and go about my business.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Preface:  I do not have children.  

I take my pants off, holstered pistol and all, and leave them by my bed.  

If you don't carry with a round in the chamber, just leave the pistol at home.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
FPNI

In holster, on nightstand, loaded, one in the chamber, and with two extra mags. Only time its unloaded is to be cleaned or taken to the range.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#42]
I usually just throw it on my counter, sometimes in the cabinet. I don't have a ritual it usually stays next to my car keys.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top