Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:01:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought and carried a Glock 27 for 3 weeks before shooting it.

I knew the Glock 23 I had been carrying for years was issue free, and aside from brass to the face, Glock's aren't known for big malfunctions unless it's a reload.

YMMV, but if you look over a used gun thoroughly, and can't detect a problem, it's probably good to go. No different than an off the shelf new gun. Any gun is susceptible to a problem you can't see.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry a used gun every day.

Socks on the other hand. New pair everyday.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
New, or used a carry gun needs to be put through its paces with your chosen ammo before I would carry it. Both of my main carry pistols were bought used. I verified they functioned with my carry ammo, and strapped it on my hip.
View Quote

This +1000

As long as it fires with no issues I am OK with carrying it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Have no issue. Make sure it works, and either fix what doesn't or trade for what does.

Any gun needs to be tested, but as long as it passes  it's good to go.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I try to buy used guns almost exclusively unless I cannot find what I want used.  Let the first person take the big hit on price.  Some of my best purchases on guns I have bought used.

Most people who sell guns back to gun stores and they end up on shelves as used the pistol is in near new condition.  I have bought countless guns in LNIB condition but had to be sold as used because the previous owner (appears by wear) went to the range shot a magazine or box of ammo hated the pistol and sold it back or had hard times on cash before they could even shoot it and sell it back.
View Quote

Totally agree here. The only handguns I got new were  a few glocks that were the result of prizes at shooting matches ( gssf wins ) and a raffle, plus a Colt M45A1.
I have carried and trusted guns as old as World War Two era to protect myself and others. Keep in mind there are still 1911's issued to some special forces units that are 70+ years old, and some of the rifles we carried in Iraq were rebuilt with old A1 lowers. As long as the gun runs with your selected carry ammo and puts rounds where you want them, 8 days old or 80 years old does it matter a bit
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I've bought several of the rental guns my shop offers for sale when it's time for them to be rotated out. One of them was a Glock G17 and those get rented the most out of all the guns we have for rent. I would guess it roughly had over 30K rounds shot through it in the year it was in rotation and after swapping out the RSA and misc springs, I carried that gun for 3 years till I switched over to the G19 I currently carry.

I probably shot 12K through it in the 5 years I owned it and never once had one issue with the gun. I actually sold it to a friend and it's still chugging along just fine to this day.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Every gun I own is used . . . even the ones that i bought new.
View Quote

What I was thinking. I thoroughly look new or used over, and check function of both. I assume no gun works unless I have verified it does. I prefer buying used. Saves quite a bit of money and soon you realize that a lot of guns are bought and sold without ever having been fired.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:16:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Assume you know nothing about the guns history. Assume the gun seems reliable and no odd wear and tear that you can see. I personally have always gone with new guns for carry as I know their history and know that they are safe to shoot, carry, and are generally unmolested. I am thinking about starting to venture out into the used gun market. Interested what percent of carriers here feel safe carrying a used gun.
View Quote

Lol!  My P228 was bought used (w/ no red tag on the grip) and it is one of the most accurate and reliable handguns I own.  Granted, it appeared to be fired very little and not carried.  It wasn't one of those cop trade-ins with half the finish gone and the aluminum chewed to shit.  If it's a good brand and doesn't look very used, you're probably safe.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes especially a Glock, you can give it a once over or send it into Glock for a factory massage.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been issued used an abused weapons for years. They work fine. But I still hate the M9
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Like others here, strip it, clean it inspect it and take the handgun to the range.  After putting 500 rounds through the gun with no issues, I would have no issues using it as an EDC firearm.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:24:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I've carried guns older than I am. If it doesn't give me trouble during extensive range testing, I trust it'll be fine if I need it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#13]
i carried a beat to hell 39-2 that was a police trade in, great shooting gun i still have it and love it.  put new springs in it and kept it lubed up it runs like a champ, never had an issue with it ever.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:18:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I would and do carry used guns all the time. No biggie.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Spent over 24 years in the Army and 8 as a contractor, only couple of times got a new gun when models changed.  All others were used.  In 2008 while in Baghdad got a well used Cotl M1911 that had a 1916 dated frame (upper was a A1 WWII era Ithaca slide)  No matter what gun you use as a carry gun, shoot the thing so you know its realiable and where it shoots.

CD
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Not really a worry.

Check the gun out and fire it with the ammo and the magazines that will be used for carry .

Seems to me that as long as it is not some beat to shit old clunker the chance of failure due to it being used is not much different than a new guns failure due to manufacturing defect . Actually a new tight gun , even after some test firing , might be expected to have a few problems until it is completely broken in.

If I think back over years of shooting to any of the problems I have had they fall into a few narrow categories . Trying out new , different ammo , fairly new guns , or really really old clunkers or some gun that clearly was abused. Any kind of older gun I have owned for a while has been pretty bullet proof with good ammo
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I would compare this to driving a long trip in a new or used car.

Would I take a new car from the showroom and drive cross country? Not really
Would I take some old clunker with 250K on the clock? Also not really

A car with reasonable mileage that I have been driving for a while? Sure , check the tires,hoses and belts , check the fluids and off I go
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Mine too.
I wouldn't carry a gun that had never been used, that would be stupid.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All my guns are used

Mine too.
I wouldn't carry a gun that had never been used, that would be stupid.

Absolutely this.

My main carry gun is a G19 I bought last year for $200. Stippled the trip to cover up some nasty gouges from duty carry, and replaced the old XS big dogs with factory night sights. Detail strip and clean, then put a few hundred rounds through it. 100% reliability.

My duty gun has over 12k rounds through it. Why do you think it's my duty gun?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#19]
The only used guns that I have purchased are ones that I want and are no longer available or made. An example is my S&W model 657 4" barrel .41 magnum. I've looked at S&W's website and don't like their newer version with that crazy looking barrel lug. I wanted the original 4" stainless 657 and couldn't find one. Except for a used, excellent condition one I found on Gunbroker. I've shot this one a number of times and the cylinder lockup is tight and it shoots well. I'd have no problem carrying this if I wanted to. I just like semi-auto 1911 pistols for EDC.

I usually do not buy garden variety "used " guns that I can buy new because I don't like a used gun that I can get new. As mentioned I don't like the possible bad history (prior abuse) the gun may have been put through and wouldn't feel comfortable with such a piece.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:41:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, as long as it passes a function check, field strip inspection, and a range trip, why wouldn't I feel safe? It's a gun, not a laptop.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Carry a near new G19 w/ factory night sights police trade in. It runs great.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:56:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Carry a near new G19 w/ factory night sights police trade in. It runs great.
View Quote

If I had that avatar I'd find a way to CC a police trade-in Model 29.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:50:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Either it works or it doesn't. New or used has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:55:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I buy most of mine used.

People don't shoot and used is usually a better deal
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:33:56 AM EDT
[#25]
For a few years, I switched between an H&K P7 German police trade in and a used S&W 3913 for carry.
Nary a problem, and I still have them, just have moved on to other guns for personal protection.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:15:34 AM EDT
[#26]
My main carry piece is a glock 19 I bought used.  I did a thorough inspection, shot a couple hundred rounds through it, to ensure it functioned reliably and have never given it a second thought.

I have full confidence it will perform admirably should I ever need to use it in a lethal force encounter.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 1:24:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The way things are going I am more concerned with having a problem with a new one! You have to prove them no matter if they are new or used.
View Quote

This! To both sentences.
Use common sense. Don't buy some POS from pawn shop that has electrical tape holding the grips on. I don't like buying guns that have been modified, no matter what the mod is.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Zero problems with a used Glock.

Costs next to nothing to replace all springs and validate function at the range.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top