Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2016 9:18:12 AM EDT
I had my local leather crafter make me an OWB holster for my block 43 and I absolutely love it.  Fit is great, quality of the work is great and it rides perfectly on my hip.  My only issue is that is squeaks like crazy any time I move.

I understand this is pretty normal for new leather but my question is, what can I do to break it in faster?

I am putting the pistol in a plastic bag and leaving it in the holster over night to loosen the grip up a little but the squeaks are coming from the belt loops I believe. All things i've seen say do NOT use a leather conditioner or oil which I dont plan on doing.

any tips?

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I had my local leather crafter make me an OWB holster for my block 43 and I absolutely love it.  Fit is great, quality of the work is great and it rides perfectly on my hip.  My only issue is that is squeaks like crazy any time I move.

I understand this is pretty normal for new leather but my question is, what can I do to break it in faster?

I am putting the pistol in a plastic bag and leaving it in the holster over night to loosen the grip up a little but the squeaks are coming from the belt loops I believe. All things i've seen say do NOT use a leather conditioner or oil which I dont plan on doing.

any tips?

View Quote

Wear it around the house and just wear it more.  Why do they say not to condition the leather?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:22:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wear it around the house and just wear it more.  Why do they say not to condition the leather?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

any tips?

From what i've read its best not to use leather conditioner often or at all because it loosens the holster out too much and can ruin the leather.  If you are in a very dry climate you can use it once or twice a year to keep the leather true but I'm in Houston and dont need to worry about that apparently.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

From what i've read its best not to use leather conditioner often or at all because it loosens the holster out too much and can ruin the leather.  If you are in a very dry climate you can use it once or twice a year to keep the leather true but I'm in Houston and dont need to worry about that apparently.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

any tips?

I have conditioned some of my older Galco holsters because the leather was dry and getting the point where like any skin it breaks down.  Used the leather conditioner I use on my leather seats in my vehicles and it revitalized the holster.  I live in CC just south of you.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have conditioned some of my older Galco holsters because the leather was dry and getting the point where like any skin it breaks down.  Used the leather conditioner I use on my leather seats in my vehicles and it revitalized the holster.  I live in CC just south of you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

any tips?

Conditioning is one thing, drowning it in neatsfoot oil is another, which I think is what the manufacturers probably think is happening.  Next thing you know, the holster is like a floppy old baseball glove, so I can see why the manufacturers just say no to conditioning altogether.  A little bit definitely goes along way with leather conditioner.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 7:39:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Try a light dusting of baby powder or talcum powder over the affected areas of the holster.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Try a light dusting of baby powder or talcum powder over the affected areas of the holster.
View Quote

This is the fix for a squeaky holster.  Oils will soften the leather too much.

(Long ago, I had a p/t job at Galco)

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Conditioning is one thing, drowning it in neatsfoot oil is another, which I think is what the manufacturers probably think is happening.  Next thing you know, the holster is like a floppy old baseball glove, so I can see why the manufacturers just say no to conditioning altogether.  A little bit definitely goes along way with leather conditioner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

any tips?

This.
Neatsfoot oil…..Not.
Leather dressing……Yes.

This is the stuff you want:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/620836/turner-saddlery-military-leather-dressing-6-oz

This will clean the leather and replace oils that have dried out of the leather WITHOUT SOFTENING the leather.  

It will also help with "squeaking" on holsters like Crossbreeds where metal rubs against leather.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 6:07:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Dip a makeup brush in baby powder and brush a thick coating all over the holster. After an hour or so brush off the bulk off the powder with another makeup brush. After another hour or so wipe down the entire holster with a rag to remove whats left of the powder. For optimal results do the same for your belt.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:17:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I have found a very light coating of baby powder works for the squeaks... Don't want a white cloud obscuring your vision when you draw

Start light, and add more as needed.

Outside? Nothing beats Kiwi Paste! I use a brush, those days of spit shine are long gone.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#10]
it's only,you.

nobody else can hear it.

clown
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
it's only,you.

nobody else can hear it.

clown
View Quote

I've received comments on my squeaky holster before. I just say it's my belt and it's never gone past that.

On mine (CrossBreed), it seemed to be the clip backing squeaking against the leather. I put a small strip of duct tape on the back of each clip backing to soften up where they rub, and that solved most of the squeaking.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the squeak.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Use sparingly. I know people who use this on $1k boots and $5k saddles so it won't turn your holster to mush. I just restored a Buck 105 sheath with it that had been in the bottom of a box for 17 years that had gotten wet then dried out and it looks great and has retained the appropriate stiffness.

ETA: and i'm in Houston...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top