Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2016 12:33:31 AM EDT
Just as the title states, I'd like to know how people are carrying stippled or even Gen4 or RTF guns to keeps the grips from grating their skin.  Holsters that cover the grip, tucked in undershirts?  In the winter i carry a Gen4 19 or a stippled M&P full size in an OWB holster under a hoodie or jacket with a shirt tucked in to keep the grip off my skin.  I was looking for ideas on how to do this in the warmer months as well.  thanks
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:18:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Undershirt rides between your side and the grip, or tuck in the undershirt. Some of my pants and shirt combos make it difficult to tuck a shirt in with the IWB when sitting in the car, so I usually just wear it loose between my side and the grip.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:17:20 AM EDT
[#2]
YMMV but I carry an Agency Arms 19 or another 19 daily, both with stippled grips and one of those(the Agency) being pretty aggressive. I carry appendix, and it doesn't bother me at all. No undershirt or anything, I cant stand it in hot & humid NC summers.

I don't carry on my hip, so I could see it being more problematic in that area. I would suggest some dri-fit type sweat wicking shirts as an undershirt. You could also rig up something along the lines of a holster that covers the entire grip of the gun against your skin, but it would be freakin huge.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:13:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Depending on which hand you are, the part that will rub against you will not really be the part that touches your hand when you grip the pistol. Take some fine grit and knock it down a little so that it is not so abrasive.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I carried a very aggressively stippled M&P9 for years without an under shirt. It was tough the first few months but I either got used to it or formed a bit of a callus and I was fine.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just as the title states, I'd like to know how people are carrying stippled or even Gen4 or RTF guns to keeps the grips from grating their skin.  Holsters that cover the grip, tucked in undershirts?  In the winter i carry a Gen4 19 or a stippled M&P full size in an OWB holster under a hoodie or jacket with a shirt tucked in to keep the grip off my skin.  I was looking for ideas on how to do this in the warmer months as well.  thanks
View Quote

Honestly, just get used to wearing a t-shirt.  I've lived in southern AZ for 15 years, and I rarely go without an undershirt.  Wearing a light cotton t-shirt under your shirt makes little to no difference in how hot you feel, protects your skin, and keeps some of the sweat off your gun.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#6]
The gen4 texture doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I always wear an undershirt when I'm carrying. I've got a slight bit of extra girth, and the undershirt keeps my body out of the way when I draw. Even before I stippled my Glocks, I wore an undershirt.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:19:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't wear undershirts unless I am wearing a button collared shirt. And I don't carry anything that's been stippled because it is not needed and is rather ugly and I don't like my hands to bleed after firing just one shot. And my gen 4 G20 is strictly only for open carry out in the mountains so there is that too.

So not a problem for me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:43:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Honestly, just get used to wearing a t-shirt.  I've lived in southern AZ for 15 years, and I rarely go without an undershirt.  Wearing a light cotton t-shirt under your shirt makes little to no difference in how hot you feel, protects your skin, and keeps some of the sweat off your gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont know how you do that. Our hot days are like your cool days but I definitely sweat faster with an undershirt on. A couple of my guns are very aggressively stippled and there is no question Id rather deal with them against my skin than an extra layer.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:11:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't wear undershirts unless I am wearing a button collared shirt. And I don't carry anything that's been stippled because it is not needed and is rather ugly and I don't like my hands to bleed after firing just one shot. And my gen 4 G20 is strictly only for open carry out in the mountains so there is that too.

So not a problem for me.
View Quote

A little dramatic much?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:32:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A little dramatic much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So not a problem for me.

A little dramatic much?
Not at all, actually.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A little dramatic much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So not a problem for me.

A little dramatic much?

Ive dealt with anemic patients that probably would bleed after shooting my kahr. Instead of just little dots like I do on my glocks I made ridges all the way around. Everyone who holds it says "ouch" before they even shoot it.

I love it. I like those sharp ridges locking it into my hands.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 1:11:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ive dealt with anemic patients that probably would bleed after shooting my kahr. Instead of just little dots like I do on my glocks I made ridges all the way around. Everyone who holds it says "ouch" before they even shoot it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So not a problem for me.

A little dramatic much?

Fair enough. I like aggressive stippling as well, and have never shot ANY weapon that would make my hands bleed after shooting a round or two through it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I used to carry a 19rtf2 in an mtac with no undershirt everyday. Bothered me a bit at first but I guess I got used to it.

Now I mostly carry other guns but it's still in the rotation. What bothered me more was how it gripped onto my shirt.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had some grips that were not stippled, but they were checkered aggressively. Rather than doing damage to my skin or under shirt, they were abrading my cover garment. They were also snagging on my cover garment which made printing worse. I ended up changing out the grips.  Hogue and Uncle Mikes made some rubber sleeves with finger grooves that just slide over the grips. Maybe go over it a few times with a fine stone to blunt the points, but not sure how much burring it may cause; causing more work.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#16]
A undershirt or tank is always in between my holster and skin. I always wear one so stippled guns never have bothered me. Simple solution.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top