Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2016 1:39:49 AM EDT
I'm thin, and I need a very strong belt because right now it's quite uncomfortable to carry my full size.

I carry OWB almost always.

I have a fairly thick work belt from walmart, but I want something much more stiff. It needs to look reasonable, not gaudy and not showy. Not conspicuous or clearly unusual.

Here are two I found, but I don't know which is stronger or if there's much benefit from double the cost; or, if you have a better suggestion?

I think 1.5" wide is my limit for one of my holsters

http://www.thebeltman.net/www/htdocs/bh134.htm

http://www.yourtack.com/double-stitched-leather-gun-belt.html
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a beltman belt and like it. The one you linked to is 1.75 in but he also has them in 1.25in and 1.5in, if you want it extra stiff he make belts with an added stiffener. I got the horse hide belt with the stiffener and at first it took a little effort to put it thru the belt loops, but it holds my edc comfortably.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been carrying in a Wilderness Tactical 1.5" every single day for 4 years now.  After all that time the belt has softened up a bit but still sturdy enough.

I owb a g21 fullsize .45 usually. I'm 6' 165lb so tall and skinny.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#3]
An enhanced Aegis is ridiculously stiff, all Ares belts are very sturdy. If you're looking for a leather belt the Beltman belts have an excellent reputation.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been using an Atlas Volund 1 1/2" G hook for years, it's stiff enough for a full size, reloads and anything else you might carry.

http://www.volundgearworks.com/belts/
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the Beltman 1.5" belt. Also a thin guy, & it works well. They have a stiffener available, but I don't see a need for it myself.

I'd just get the 1.5" belt. No issues with holster compatibility. It's significantly stiffer & thicker than what you're going to find in a Walmart.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I ordered a Beltman belt a couple of weeks ago and still waiting.
I have a Wilderness 1.75 belt that I have been wearing for the last 7 years and it got a little soft and the Velcro stopped velcroing. But after 7 years I can't complain about the Wilderness belt,but don't think I would buy again.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Which is better, beltman's bull or horse hide?
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Have a beltman bull hide belt with 10 years of daily carry on it and it's still going strong. I'm getting ready to order a horsehide one for a change up since the horsehide is supposed to stay a bit more resistant to roll over and I want another color.

You can not better the quality of a beltman belt. I've seen his shop and watched him work and he is a true artisan and craftsman.

If you REALLY want to have a belt that won't roll, add the internal stiffener to a bull hide belt and you'll be golden.

Just remember, follow the EXACT methods outlined on his website for measuring what you need for a belt length. Do NOT just go by the size printed on the one you last bought.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#9]
A lot of people say not to order the stiffener,but I did for years down the road when it starts to roll and get soft .It might be to stiff now ,but after the Wilderness belt getting soft I figured that would keep better in the long run.

But I'm also a bit of a fat ass so I figured it would be better for a longer belt, I'm no skinny mini.

The reason for the new belt is I bought a new pistol and holster and it's not staying close enough to my body with the belt going soft. I can't wait to get my Beltman belt .

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm a big fan of my Magpul Tejas "El Original" Gun Belt...but I'm a bit biased.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An enhanced Aegis is ridiculously stiff, all Ares belts are very sturdy. If you're looking for a leather belt the Beltman belts have an excellent reputation.

View Quote

I totally agree with the Aegis Enhanced Belt.  I just started wearing one a couple of days ago and its amazingly rigid.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I totally agree with the Aegis Enhanced Belt.  I just started wearing one a couple of days ago and its amazingly rigid.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the standard Aegis and it has been rock solid for about a year, I can only imagine the enhanced to be even more rigid.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I use a beltman bull hide belt right now, holds up great, simple and not showy but still a good looking belt. Great quality and i have never had a problem with it, I highly recommend one!
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Which is better, beltman's bull or horse hide?
View Quote

The horse hide is naturally stiffer as it is a tighter grain and denser leather.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I just ordered a 1.5inch beltman belt with the stiffener.  I'm excited to get it next month and start carrying owb again
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I have GERD, and tension on my waist is bad.
Should I get stiffener?
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I was considering a beltman belt but decided to go with a Magpul Tejas belt instead.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was considering a beltman belt but decided to go with a Magpul Tejas belt instead.
View Quote

I did the opposite but I've heard only good things about the magpul tejas by as well.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Ares gear Aegis belt is what I have.  Tried leather, kydex reinforced leather, and all kinds of other belts none have held up as well as my Ares belt.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#20]

I purchased a Wilderness a few years ago for work / casual everyday wear and it's holding up great.
I also have a leather Beltman for dress and it's 1 stiff son of a gun. Doesn't get worn near as much though.

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I prefer the horsehide from Abetterbelt, its comfortable and VERY rigid. But if you want the absolute strongest carry belt then its hard to not use one of these Superstiff, A belt from Ted Blocker, and Bigfoot Gunbelt.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've been using an Atlas Volund 1 1/2" G hook for years, it's stiff enough for a full size, reloads and anything else you might carry.
http://www.volundgearworks.com/belts/
View Quote

This!  All the stiffness you need without an obnoxiously big buckle.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Is there really a difference between belts with kydex stiffeners? They're all I wear and I've never paid more than $20 for them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#25]
nm this will just get neckbearded
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a beltman belt and like it. The one you linked to is 1.75 in but he also has them in 1.25in and 1.5in, if you want it extra stiff he make belts with an added stiffener. I got the horse hide belt with the stiffener and at first it took a little effort to put it thru the belt loops, but it holds my edc comfortably.
View Quote

Beltman unlike the nylon survival type belts goes well from casual to dress etc.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#27]
The strongest belt that I have found is the 5.11 Apex Gunners Belt. They are thinner than leather belt, but, much stronger than leather and will outlast leather belts as well. I used to wear 5.11 Trainer's belts (over 5 years) before I discovered the Apex Gunner's Belt. I used to use leather belts prior to the 5.11 Trainer's Belt because the leather became worn in just a couple years time. I've been wearing the Apex Gunner's Belt with my pistol (full size 5" 1911) and three spare magazines in kydex pouches for almost 2 years. Before I retired, when I was working I wore a Sig P229 Stainless Elite with four spare magazines, a handcuff case, and belt badge on this belt 9-10 hours a day for 3 years. The belt still looks almost like brand new. Plus the belt is strong enough to hold my gear better than leather because it is more comfortable.

Check them out. I haven't worn leather belts in over 10 years and won't go back. The Apex Gunner's Belts run about $65 and are worth it because they don't seem to ever wear out or even show any wear (5 years and counting for mine).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iDBhym4_sE
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#28]
The Apex Gunners Belt looks like a good idea, but the buckle screams "I'm wearing a gun!"
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 12:15:46 AM EDT
[#29]
My first real gunbelt was a Beltman with stiffener, lasted a few years. Wore that belt every day, work, play etc etc. Stumbled across TN Gun Holsters, and have been running there Gun Belt ever since. I personally think its head and shoulders above the beltman belt but that's just me.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 8:31:00 AM EDT
[#30]
I use a wilderness tactical.  Looks like it's not the flavor of the month anymore.  Whatever, I like it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't have any experience with this particular belt by Hanks, but any belt with a steel core is going to be plenty stiff. I have one of their Premier Double Bridle Leather belts and it's top notch. Obviously Hanks has a good reputation, and this belt is very inconspicuous.

http://www.hanksclothing.com/hanks_amish_belts_ccw_the_steel_core_stiffened_belt.html
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 1:17:03 AM EDT
[#32]
If anyone is going to buy a Hank's I definitely recommend an internal stiffener.  I made the mistake of not getting one and about a year later the belt is almost useless for OWB carry.  It will still handle appendix and regular iwb carry just fine, but it's gotten awfully loose.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 6:29:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Bigfoot Gun Belts. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:49:34 AM EDT
[#34]
I was a groomsman at a friends wedding this past weekend. Wedding was an outdoor western wedding and he asked we wear brown western style belts. I picked up one of these. I was surprised at how stiff and sturdy it was and I carried for a few hours in it today. Glock 23 with TLR1 in a hybrid IWB holster. Gun never budged once. Of course it's still basically new and that could change as it breaks in, but for now, I'm impressed
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Does anyone have any experience with the Crossbreed Aegis Cross Over belts or Instructor Velcro ones? I'm needing to find a dressier belt for next month.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Crossbreed aegis belt is awesome
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 1:39:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I was using a Wilderness 5 stitch for a while and though it was great/stiff.  I noticed some sagging, specifially the buckle loop area.  Where the metal buckle is looped onto the belt itself.  I think that's that weak(least stiff) part of the belt, plus that metal buckle is quite heavy, so that doesn't help either.
Still a quality belt, and they are local to me which is great.  They have excellent service as well.  They made my belt for me while I waited in the store.

I recently switched to a VolundGearworks Atlas G-Hook.  This thing is LIGHT, and stiff.  It loops into itself so there is no sagging weak point.  For me it's more comfortable to wear than my wilderness, because of the light weight and smaller lighter buckle.  Been wearing this one for a couple months now.  I liked it so much I bought another one.
I always wear my shirts untucked, so the look of a nylon type belt doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm using a Vertx Raptor 1.75" nylon with a plastic insert and cobra buckle. It's built like a brick shithouse.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#39]
If you need more strength than The Belt Man offers you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

Beltman.  I don't recommend the stiffener.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top