Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2016 4:50:47 PM EDT
So I'm going to start trail riding again (dirtbikes) and want to carry my pistol on me when I ride.  The glock sport/combat owb holster I have won't work because it doesn't lock the gun into place like a SERPA holster would.  Hear good things about Safariland holsters.  Can you help recommend me one to order?

Gun is a G19 gen 3. Do they have a holster that can carry both a G17 and 19?  I'll be getting a 17 this summer.

I'd like one where you need to hit a button/lever with the thumb of your draw hand to unlock the pistol.
Should I go with a paddle holster or one that just attaches to my Wilderness Tactical 5 stitch?

Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]
If you go to the Safariland website they have a holster finder.  If you look at their "concealable" models, you'll be able to find something with a locking system.  I'd stay away from paddles and stick with something that has loops.  If you have an accident, your handgun can be used as a signaling device, it would suck for it to go skidding off somewhere while you lay there with a broken femur.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:23:18 AM EDT
[#2]
6377 for a G17 will fit both.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Or the 6378

My favorite, I have one for every gun I have that Safariland makes that holster for.

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Or the 6378

My favorite, I have one for every gun I have that Safariland makes that holster for.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or the 6378

How does the 6378 carry? I see a paddle option, the 6377 has visible belt loops.

If I buy for a 17, my 19 will fit well?
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How does the 6378 carry? I see a paddle option, the 6377 has visible belt loops.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or the 6378

They're the same holster, the 77 has belt loops and the 78 is a paddle attachment.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or the 6378

Safariland holsters lock on the ejection port and aren't slide length dependent. I had one that would fit a G34 and a G19 worked fine. There's a little slack in the locking mech with shorter pistols since you're not using the muzzle block but it works.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They're the same holster, the 77 has belt loops and the 78 is a paddle attachment.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or the 6378

Actually, all my 6378s came with both a paddle attachment and a belt loop attachment.

I usually use the paddle.  Also, keep in mind you can switch attachment systems because of Safarilands 3 screw system, so I can throw any of these holsters onto a duty belt with that duty belt piece.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Actually, all my 6378s came with both a paddle attachment and a belt loop attachment.

I usually use the paddle.  Also, keep in mind you can switch attachment systems because of Safarilands 3 screw system, so I can throw any of these holsters onto a duty belt with that duty belt piece.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or the 6378

So if I order the 78 model from the Safariland website it should come with the loops an a paddle?!  Why have two model numbers then I wonder?
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Good to know; I was going off of memory and have only ever ordered 6377s.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Apparently so.

From Safariland

Open-Top Paddle Holster with ALS®
Combining the concealable, accessible design of an open-top paddle holster with the security of ALS®, the Safariland® Model 6378 Holster is made for the rigors of daily use by plain-clothed officers and sidearm carriers. ALS® locks the firearm securely in place when holstered, but still allows a natural draw with a swipe of the thumb release as you establish your grip. SafariLaminate™ construction makes the holster strong on the outside, while SafariSuede™ on the inside protects your firearm’s front sight and finish. The Model 6378 comes with both the paddle attachment and a standard belt loop, making this holster as versatile as it is functional.

I usually get mine from Amazon
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Or the 6378

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or the 6378

Absolutely can't go wrong with this holster. Recommend it 110%
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 6377 for a G19 that also fits a G17. Muzzle of the G17 doesn't even hang out 1/10".
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Safariland's ALS gear is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I agree

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Safariland's ALS gear is awesome.

I agree

Agreed agreed . I have one each for my P229 and P226. Great gear.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Unless you're particularly worried about speed of presentation, have you considered a more protective and low profile option - like the Wilderness Safepacker?

http://www.thewilderness.com/safepacker-concealment-holster/

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Unless you're particularly worried about speed of presentation, have you considered a more protective and low profile option - like the Wilderness Safepacker?

http://www.thewilderness.com/safepacker-concealment-holster/

View Quote

I have one of these.  It isn't a bad suggestion if it fits your intended use.  OTOH, the OP is on the right path if he's looking for an OWB holster with retention by checking out safariland.  The safepacker fits a spare mag or flashlight as well FWIW.

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Will a glock 34 fit in a g17 6378?
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:43:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.  The smaller guns fit in the bigger holster but not the other way around.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry if this is too pic heavy

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The G17/34 should work just fine in a 6378 made for the G19. I see no reason a 34 wouldn't work in a 6378 made for a 17 unless we're talking about light bearing models.
Proof:

</a>Gen 3 G34 in Safariland 6378 made for a G19 (3) by J M, on Flickr" />

</a>Gen 4 G17 in Safariland 6378 made for G19 with paddle removed to show markings; 6378-283 GLOCK 19 23 33 12 ASSEMBLD MEXICO (Typos are on the holster) by J M, on Flickr" />

</a>Glocks by J M, on Flickr" />

L to R
Gen 2 G19 in BladeTech paddle holster;
Gen 4 G17 (TLR1 removed) in Safariland 6378 paddle holster made for G19;
Gen 4 G19 (no light attached) in Safariland 6378 light bearing paddle holster made for a G17 with light.
Note that both the G17 and G19 are fully functional in each others holsters; they lock in and are quite secure.

Quoted:
If you go to the Safariland website they have a holster finder.  If you look at their "concealable" models, you'll be able to find something with a locking system.  I'd stay away from paddles and stick with something that has loops.  If you have an accident, your handgun can be used as a signaling device, it would suck for it to go skidding off somewhere while you lay there with a broken femur.]

I'm not disagreeing that the loops aren't probably better for this use, but while the paddle is less secure than the belt loops the Safariland paddle is way more secure than many other manufacturer's paddles.

Note in the photo below that the hook on the Safariland paddle holster is attached to the body of the holster rather than to the paddle on the Blade Tech, which allows the Safariland to hook directly against the belt. With my 1.75" Wilderness Tac instructor's belt I actually have to slide the holster onto the belt, then put it on my pants and finish threading my belt because while there's just barely enough clearance for the belt between the hook and the connection of paddle/holster body, there isn't enough clearance to pop it over the belt.

This is nearly as secure as a belt loop, but rides a little closer to the body and you have the support of the Safariland paddle, which makes even a relatively heavy gun like my G17/TLR1 combo with 18 or 20rds of 147gr ammo so comfortable that I'll sometimes forget I'm wearing it.

Safariland vs Blade-Tech paddles:

</a>Gen 2 G19 in the Blade-Tech paddle holster (L) and Gen 4 G19 in the Safariland 6378 paddle (R) by J M, on Flickr" />

</a>(L to R) Blade Tech paddle holster, Safariland 6378 for a G19 with low mount belt loop attachment, Safariland 6378 for G19 with paddle attachment (2) by J M, on Flickr" />

Showing the backside of the holsters and their mounting hardware. (L to R) Blade Tech paddle holster, Safariland 6378 for a G19 with low mount belt loop attachment, Safariland 6378 for G19 with paddle attachment by J M, on Flickr

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I like the old SLS models like the 6004 (though the drop leg rig was ditched in favor of a 2.5" drop loop). Very secure and extremely protective (important if you're carrying while riding). They tend to be forgiving on gun size, if it fits it'll lock in.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#23]
6004 and a lanyard.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quick update.  I ordered the 78 model for a g19 and another for my g21. Great quality.  Came with both the paddle and belt loops. The paddle works great on my riding pants which don't have capability to weave a belt through.

Like an idiot I ordered the left had version for the g21 so I need to exchange it for a righty through amazon.

The holster is a lot bulkier than the glock sport/combat owb holster I use currently but these holsters will be geared for retention, not concealment.

The draw is amazingly smooth and ride height is perfect with the paddle or belt loops

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Look at the 565BL if you want a better belt loop with a little bit of forward cant built in. The included spacer is nice if for whatever reason you need the gun off your body a little bit more.

Click here for info
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I carry the ALS every day, It is the fastest holster I have ever used ith a retention system. Try one you ill be sold. I carry a Glock 22 full size 40 cal every day for work. The ALS works.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#27]
I really love how rock solid the holster holds the gun but how smooth of a draw you still have.

I now have two.  One for the g19 & 17 I will be picking up in the next month, and one for my g21 woods gun.  Will test out how well the g30 fits in the g21 holster tonight
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 4:47:48 AM EDT
[#28]
I hate Safariland's paddle design. I simply cannot get comfortable with it. It's always digging into me somewhere. For paddle I like 5.11 thumb drive. For belt Safariland all the way.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Just got back from a weekend of trail riding.  The g21 holster with paddle worked flawlessly.  I was worried since my riding pants don't have belt loops but everything held in place well. Got lots of stares on the trail packing iron but I disregarded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top