Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2016 2:16:43 PM EDT
How's it going guys, I've lurked on this fantastic site for quite some time, however this is my first thread. Basically I'm in the market for a CCW to keep in my pants pocket at work.  I need this pistol to meet two requirements.  One, I need it to be small enough to fit comfortably in my pocket. As a note, I'm a smaller guy, 5'11, 150 LBS. Two, I need it to have an external safety.  I have my eye on two canidates. One being the S&W Bodygaurd, currently priced at $350, or $450 for the model that comes with the Crimson Trace laser.  The other being the Kahr PM9. Now normally those don't come with an external safety, however I found one that actually has one, for $750. So, they're both around the same size, have the same capacity, & both have external safeties. Is it worth spending the extra money on the Kahr, or should I just go with the S&W ?  Or do you have any other suggestions ? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Also look at the Ruger LCP. It can be had for $200ish. Lightweight, no-sharp corners, 6+1 or 7+1 - the thing is the standard for a pocket carry .380.

Note - it has no external safety but is a long-heavy double action....

EDIT - Also consider the Sig 238/938. These have the 1911-style external safety you're looking for. I have a Sig 938 Nightmare on my person 99% of the time (business casual, tucked-in dress-shirt and slacks). It disappears with a good pocket holster.

Link Posted: 3/21/2016 2:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
consider the SCCY or Keltec LC9...both compact 9mm...otherwise the Keltec P3AT or the Ruger LCP are good for compact carry.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the posts guys, I should've mentioned that I very recently sold my Ruger LCP due to it not having an external safety.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Ruger LC9S. Not the Pro model since it has no manual safety.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Ruger LCP or a Sig p238 or Sig p938
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#6]
The Sig P938 seems nice, I'll look into it. No love for the Kahr PM9 ? Any perticular reason ?
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Colt Mustang XSP or the LCP Custom Pro would be my two picks. I'd say the P238 but after firing one, it was shooting way off to the left. Thought it was me but after firing my Mustang, it definitely wasn't me.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Sig 238 is a pretty good pocket pistol as well.  The trigger on the bodyguard is LOOOOOOOOOooooooong and heavy....on a very small gun.  Not exactly ideal for fast, accurate shooting.

one more thing...pocket carry isn't really ideal.  I find the draw to be difficult to damn near impossible in a reasonable amount of time depending on how baggy the pockets are on the pants i'm wearing.  The comp tac 2 oclock is a great little AIWB holster that is easy to conceal with anything as long as it doesn't require my top is tucked in.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Colt Mustang XSP or the LCP Custom Pro would be my two picks. I'd say the P238 but after firing one, it was shooting way off to the left. Thought it was me but after firing my Mustang, it definitely wasn't me.

Good luck.
View Quote

so drift the rear sight.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd pay extra for no safety,why the need ?
Revolvers don't have safeties.

I'm looking to pick up a LC9S PRO just because of no safety for my father.

And I also carry a Kahr PM9 with no safety everyday for almost a decade.

Edit to add -The only reason I can see for having a safety on a pocket pistol is if it's single action ala 1911 style.

All pistols with or without safety's must be carried in a holster that covers the trigger area to be safe.

If your looking to carry with no holster ,why?

Link Posted: 3/22/2016 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

so drift the rear sight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

so drift the rear sight.
Wasn't my gun. Friend wanted to shoot it and compare it to my Mustang so we shot them both.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Buddy and I both recently got mnp bodyguards no laser.  We both love them! Shoot it enough and you'll get used to the trigger just like shooting a revolver. Very very accurate little gun! Recently was at an idpa match and after we where done everyone wanted to have a side bet on who could ring steel sihlouete at 100 yds in the least amount of shots.
  Well I took 3 rd with my g34 then went and got my bodyguard. To my surprise I hit the steel more times with that than with my 34!  5 out of 7 shots were hits.
   Only trouble ever had was mine didn't like fiocchi fmj. But everything else I've tried it loves. About 400rds through it I think.
Oh and I got a vedder pocket holster that is awesome!
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sig 238 is a pretty good pocket pistol as well.  The trigger on the bodyguard is LOOOOOOOOOooooooong and heavy....on a very small gun.  Not exactly ideal for fast, accurate shooting.

one more thing...pocket carry isn't really ideal.  I find the draw to be difficult to damn near impossible in a reasonable amount of time depending on how baggy the pockets are on the pants i'm wearing.  The comp tac 2 oclock is a great little AIWB holster that is easy to conceal with anything as long as it doesn't require my top is tucked in.
View Quote

We're in agreement, although I prefer the more rounded edges of the Kimber Micro.

I've always like the short trigger pull and even shorter reset on a well designed single action trigger and the .380 ACP min 1911, like the Colt Mustang, the Sig P238 and the Kimber Micro are al very controllable and comfortable to shoot in .380 ACP with the ability to be fired very rapidly and accurately at social shooting distances.

I also agree that pocket carry is great for a backup, particularly a back up you might want to hand off in the pocket holster to a non concealed carrying person you might be with who could then lead the withdrawl while you cover your six.

As for a primary self defense concealed carry handgun, I prefer it to be in an IWB holster, where it can be carried and drawn with much greater reliability.

Link Posted: 3/23/2016 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Kahr PM9 in a Don Hume pocket holster.

Link Posted: 3/23/2016 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#16]
If you really need a safety why not just carry the LCP without one in the chamber? I have met plenty of guys and gals that do this. With practice, racking the slide is going to be damn near as quick as taking most firearms of off safety, sans Glock style trigger safety. Racking can be done quietly but it will not be as quiet as a true safety. Yes you do lose one round but one less is still 6 more than none.

Link Posted: 3/23/2016 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for the posts guys, I should've mentioned that I very recently sold my Ruger LCP due to it not having an external safety.
View Quote

Why, did it go off in your pocket?
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Sig P938 seems nice, I'll look into it. No love for the Kahr PM9 ? Any perticular reason ?
View Quote

I have the PM9 and absolutely love it! Based on your needs though it may not work as it can be a bit much for pocket carry depending on your attire, you'd certainly have to dress around it more so than a .380 Bodyguard or similar.

While I do occasionally pocket carry mine it is on the large side and mainly do so in khaki cargo shorts or similar relaxed fit style clothing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 6:37:01 AM EDT
[#19]
My biased answer will always be the BodyGuard, without the laser. I love mine, and carry It a good bit. Ive gotten to where I even carry it in my pocket sometimes as a b.u.g. to my 19. It shoots great, shoots like a bigger gun to me. The trigger is good for what it is, it has real sights, the slide locks back on empty, it has a slide release AND an external safety.

Mine has only had 1 issue to note after 1000s of rounds. I mainly shoot reloads from my father in law, and the little magazines seem to get dirty relatively easily and one of mine wasn't holding the slide back on empty. I popped it apart and cleaned it, and haven't had an issue since.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't normally pocket carry, however my job requires my top to indeed be tucked in.
Quoted:

It's a personal preference on the safety.  I'll be using a pocket or ankle holster.
Quoted:

Yeah, it seems like a nice gun, especially for the price.
Quoted:

Yeah, again it's just a preference.
Quoted:

Idk, I think the Kahr is actually about the exact same size as the S&W BG. The Khar has an O/A length of 5.3 ", with a height of 4.0" The BG is 5.25" with a height of 4.1"

I'm debating between the S&W BG & the Kahr PM9 now.  They're both about the same size, both have external safety's. The Kahr is about twice the cost as the BG. Then there's the issue of stopping power. Obviously the 9mm has a little bit more, however some people would say the .380 has less of a recoil, making it a more accurate weapon in short-range, rapid-fire use.  Thoughts ?

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Idk, I think the Kahr is actually about the exact same size as the S&W BG. The Khar has an O/A length of 5.3 ", with a height of 4.0" The BG is 5.25" with a height of 4.1"

I'm debating between the S&W BG & the Kahr PM9 now.  They're both about the same size, both have external safety's. The Kahr is about twice the cost as the BG. Then there's the issue of stopping power. Obviously the 9mm has a little bit more, however some people would say the .380 has less of a recoil, making it a more accurate weapon in short-range, rapid-fire use.  Thoughts ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have both and while yes they are almost identical the PM9 is a little thicker and the rear of the slide is flat whereas the BG is a little more angled.

I enjoy shooting the PM9 a lot more but the BG is lighter and slimmer which makes it easier to pocket carry. Like I said it's certainly doable with the PM9, it's just a little more "floppy",  have to have a good pocket opening and I find a heavier weight material seems to help with the floppy aspect.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Sig 938 or 238 and done.

Link Posted: 3/29/2016 6:05:13 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Never handled the Kahr, so I cant help you there. I would think the recoil would be a good bit more pronounced, but again, I honestly have no clue. Definitely not trying to bash the Kahr in any way, but I know how snappy my father in law's Sccy was in 9mm and it is a little bit bigger than the Kahr I believe.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sig 938 or 238 and done.

View Quote

This,  or consider CM/PM 9, i really like mine. I don't like it as much as my SIG's but still...
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 11:49:00 PM EDT
[#25]
OP, my experience with pocket carry is it looks like shit with nice pants. The holster may break up the outline, but there's still a noticeable bulge if you wear clothes that fit. When I have to tuck my shirt in or am really concerned with printing, I carry a Keltec P32 IWB in a Desantis Sof-Tuck. It just disappears.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Update: I borrowed a friends s&w BG & went to a local gun range that had some sig p238s you could rent & shoot. I shot a few mags worth of ammo with the BG & switched to the Sig. It took me about 3 shots to realize how much more I liked the Sig. It handled better, shot better, & imo, looks better. Saved $40 by paying in cash & walked out of there with a brand new Sig P238 & I love it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#27]
The Kahr CM9 in 9mm is about the perfect pocket gun for me. I use a Crossbred pocket holster for it, this uses some leather that makes it print like a wallet. Even though there is no external safety, the trigger on the CM9 has a very long pull designed to mimic that of a DA revolver. The Crossbred holster does a good job with retention and keeping the trigger covered.

I prefer the Shield over the CM9 but really the Shield is not a pocket gun for the most part. Too large and heavy for that role.

I had a Bodyguard and I liked it "okay". When I found the CM9 I sold it. I really prefer having a 9mm over a .380. The only issue I had with the Bodyguard is that when firing it one day the hammer broke in half. Sent it back to S&W and it was repaired promptly. I probably shot the gun more than most people shoot small guns like that, but at the time it was my primary carry, as I worked in a nonpermissive environment, so I put a lot of trigger time into it. The safety was rather stiff, but I never had trouble with it while drawing and shooting.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Update: I borrowed a friends s&w BG & went to a local gun range that had some sig p238s you could rent & shoot. I shot a few mags worth of ammo with the BG & switched to the Sig. It took me about 3 shots to realize how much more I liked the Sig. It handled better, shot better, & imo, looks better. Saved $40 by paying in cash & walked out of there with a brand new Sig P238 & I love it.
View Quote

I posted before reading this. The SIG p238 is a fine gun and definitely a good shooter. Congrats.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top