Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/14/2016 10:45:33 AM EDT
So I'm submitting my paperwork for my CHL here in NY (don't even get me started on what a pain it is) so in a couple months I'm hoping to have my license in hand.  I'm realizing that for as well versed I am in rifles and shotguns, I don't know much at all about handguns.  I've shot the M&P 9mm and really liked that, but it seemed a little big to carry daily.

Here's what I'm currently thinking:
-9mm or .45 (can only take 10rds anyways so I'm not really worried about capacity)
-Big enough to fit my large hands, but small enough to wear comfortably daily (I'm 6', 240lbs, and wear business casual most days)
-Aftermarket customization is a plus
-Usability in a competition setting (IPSC and similar) is also a plus.

Also trying to decide on an external safety or not.

So, Arfcom... educate me!
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Glock 30s.

About the same size as a G19.  

Holds 10 rounds.

concealable.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Glock 26.  10 rounds in small mag.  For reloads, carry the factory single stack 10 rounders w/ an A&G grip extension which solves the large hand grip issue.  If you're going to carry in NJ (FMJ only), you might consider the Glock 30.

ETA:  Alternately, the Glock 39 if you like hunting for ammo.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeahh...IPSC and USPSA aren't really for Glock 26's

For best of both worlds, a G17 will do very well for your needs.

Just get a good holster and you won't have much trouble concealing it.

A G19 will do very well for CCW and still can compete in USPSA, IPSC and IDPA
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#5]
My first thought was a Glock 30.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#6]
30S or 26 with grip extension
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Glock 26
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#8]
A glock or M&P in 9mm.
The 9c or the 19 would be my first choices.
Followed by a shield, g43 and then the g26.
Ballistics being what they are, price of ammo is a much larger factor to me than marginal ballistic differences.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 4:14:24 AM EDT
[#9]
The P320 is what you seek and based on what your criteria's are, it's a no brainer. Turn one gun into many sizes; all you need is the chassis which is the serialized item, and you can turn it into these configurations by getting the items separately as listed:

Modular to fit the role, ambi slide lock. If I was living in your situation OP, this would be the only one I'd go with. Proven reliability.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 6:46:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Glock 19.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 7:05:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Glock 19.
View Quote
^This

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 7:18:29 AM EDT
[#12]
G26 FTW
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Since you are limited to 10 rounds I'd probably go with a G26 or 30. Part of me wants to say 1911 but you need to know what you're getting yourself into if you go that route.

How sensitive are you to recoil? You could consider something in 10mm for extra firepower, like the subcompact glock, G29 I think is the model.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#14]
The Glock fans are out in force today.

The Glock was a great solution for converting police officers trained on double action revolvers to a semi-automatic as it operates in more or less the same way - no manual safety, everything is on the trigger.   Significantly, it was also intended to be carried in an OWB duty holster that kept the trigger well protected and presented no obstructions to re-holstering the pistol.  

The Glock still remains a great option for a police duty pistol or for a citizen carrying it OWB.   However, you have to respect the design limitations when it comes to concealed carry.

Even in police use, the the Glock has way more than it's share of ADs.   One common scenario is that after an incident (whether shots were actually fired or not) and excited officer will attempt top re-holster the weapon with his finger in the trigger guard.  Loud noise results. Sometimes bleeding is involved.  Another problem was that the Glock did not have the long heavy trigger pull of a DA revolver and once again under extreme stress officers had ADs.  The 12 pound "New York" trigger was the result in many police departments

In short, while the Glock allowed some perceived shortcuts in training, there's no free lunch and not having to focus on a manual safety in training just means you have to focus with even greater care on things like trigger discipline, and how to properly re-holster the weapon, and in the end there is no real reduction in the training requirement unless you're willing to compromise safety.

-----

Concealed carry with a Glock (or similar striker fired design without a manual safety, or a hammerless revolver for that matter) brings an entirely different threat that has to be managed.  

With a DA revolver or DA semi-auto equipped with a hammer, you can hold your thumb over the hammer and feel the hammer coming back if something is obstructing the trigger while you are re-holstering the revolver or pistol.  With a striker fired design like the Glock, you don't have that tactile warning that loud noises and bleeding are about to occur.  

With a single action pistol like a 1911 or Hi Power, you'll train to develop the habit of applying the manual safety before re-holstering the pistol, and you can hold your thumb over the front of the cocked hammer to prevent an AD if the trigger is obstructed, plus on a 1911 with your thumb in that position, you ensure the grip safety is activated preventing the sear from releasing the hammer even if the trigger is pressed.

An SA/DA pistol with a manual safety, like the CZ 75 Compact, offers the protection of both a manual safety in SA mode, and  the ability to feel the hammer coming back if a trigger obstruction occurs in addition to the long DA trigger pul if you're using it in DA mode.  

A Glock doesn't offer those options or protections as all the safety devices are keyed on the trigger, so any object entering the trigger guard and depressing the trigger deactivates the safeties and sets the stage for an AD, with very little tactile warning to the shooter.  A wad of shirt tail, the fob on a jacket draw string, the folded over edge of a soft leather holster, have all created ADs.  

-----

Now before all the Glock fan boys start spewing hate and claiming this is all bullshit, or doesn't actually pose a threat because the only thing that will fire a Glock is a booger hook, I'm not saying that the Glock is not suitable for concealed carry.  I'm just saying that is requires additional care in the selection of a holster and additional thought and care when it comes to re-holstering the weapon - and that it demands 100% adherence to proper trigger discipline.  If you can't manage those issues, then conceal carrying a Glock is not for you.    

If you plan to use an IWB holster, I recommend you use a holster that:

1. incorporates a mouth that is made from two layers of leather sewn over a metal or polymer reinforcement that will hold the holster open, even inside your waist band, even when the pistol is not in it; and

2. uses a belt clip that allows the holster to be quickly removed, so that you can re-holster the pistol while holding everything out in front of you where you can a) observe the process, b) ensure there are no obstructions, and c)  can keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.  Once the pistol is safely in the holster with the trigger fully protected, then you can insert it into your waistband.  

Kimber Ultra Carry and a Wild Bills Concealment Covert Carry:

Browning Hi Power in a Covert Carry:

CZ 75 Compact in a Covert Carry

The Covert Carry isn't the only holster around that meets this criteria by any means, but after 30 years of concealed carry, I'm of the opinion that it is by far the best IWB holster I;ve ever used.

-----

What you want to avoid, particularly with a Glock is something like the Versa Carry.  This is the original Versa Carry that they sent me for evaluation.   I was not in any way supportive as it provides no protection for the trigger.  The revised Versa Carry II is a little better in that regard, but the trigger protection is still not adequate for a Glock.  And, in comparison to a well designed leather holster, it's actually not any thinner, and it provides no protection to the gun from sweat, dirt, lint, impact damage, etc.  Still, Versa Carry sells a lot of them, which is solid proof that a lot of people don't have any idea of what an effective and efficient holster is supposed to do.  

You also want to avoid a soft leather holster that allows the lip to fold over and enter the gdtigger guard.  The only saving grace here is that these holsters have clips and are designed to have the weapon holstered before the holster and weapon are inserted in the waistband - but you'd be surprised how many shooters don't know that and do it wrong.

-----

In terms of my recommendations for a concealed carry handgun in 9mm or .45 ACP.

Kimber Pro Carry or Ultra Carry

I carried my Kimber Ultra Carry for the better part of a decade and it was (and remains) exceptionally reliable, and it's surprisingly accurate and controllable for a 3" 1911.  Kimber gets slammed by a lot of people, but those folks generally fall into one or more of these categories:

1. they don't actually own one;
2. they have "upgraded" theirs and in the process created reliability issues by reducing slide over run time, etc;
3. they don't understand how to properly re-assemble a pistol with the Schwartz firing pin safety system and eventually break it;
4. they run it dry like they would a Glock and ignore that fact that pistols like the 1911 and Hi Power like to be tun wet;  and/or
5. they fail to understand the relationship between magazine feed lips, extractor profiles and bullet point shapes and use a magazine poorly suited to the extractor and point shape, where if they'd just stayed with the Kimber mag, they'd have been fine.

Browning Hi Power

It's a full sized pistol but it's not uncomfortable carry, 10 round magazines abound for it and it's a great range gun as well if you're only going to own and carry a single pistol.

CZ 75 Compact

There several CZ 75 variants available.  My preference was the CZ 75 Compact given the frame mounted manual safety and the option for SA or DA operation.  It's much more compact than a Hi Power and more concealable, but just as accurate and relentlessly reliable.

-----

Another couple of options that I would recommend are outside your caliber specifications would be a .380 ACP, but are much more concealable.

Walther PP and PPK/S

I've also carried PPs and  PPK/Ss for years (I'm not a fan of the current S&W offering, but the older Manuhrin or Ranger made pistols imported and.or sold by Interarms are very well made).  in the 3.4" PPK/S barrel there are a half dozen .380 ACP commercial loads (all using the 90 gr Hornady XTP) that will generate around 1000 fps and meet the FBI penetration and expansion requirements in both bare ballistic gelatin and heavy denim tests.   The 3.9" barrel on the PP will get you an additional 50 fps.  

The advantage of the PPK/S is that it conceals well under business clothing, particularly in a tuckable holster like the Covert Carry.  

Kimber Micro

My most recent acquisition is a Kimber Micro, and while the 90 gr XTP load loses about 70 fps compared to a short barrel (and struggles with expansion in heavy denim) it'll still expand reliably and give 12" of penetration in bare ballistic gel, and it's superbly reliable, quite accurate and very controllable, allowing very rapid and accurate double taps and failure to stop drills.

I mention it in part because Kimber also has a 9mm variant, and I suspect the the recoil would be stiffer, it should still be controllable and would be very concealable.  

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Remember he did state usable for IPSC.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#16]
He said it was plus, not a requirement.

It depends to some extent on what he wants to do in IPSC.  If we wants to compete he needs a race gun, if he just wants to improve his shooting for self defense purposes (like most people shooting IPSC at the local level), the Ultra Carry will be fine, as would be the Hi Power or the CZ 75.

But.....

While the two uses are not mutually exclusive, wanting a handgun that will work for IPSC and for business casual carry is a bit of a problem and he may need to make a choice.

Also, if "or similar" means a local informal concealed carry competition where a .380 ACP isn't a problem, it opens another door in terms of "or similar".

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#17]
All of the above poster's "concerns" are easily solved by using a quality holster ( I prefer kydex) and looking your gun back into the holster.
Just remember , you don't get any extra  points for being the fastest to reholster. So don't rush it.

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#18]
A Glock A19 can do dual duty, a PPK/S really isn't a realistic choice for that. He brought it up so obviously it is at least somewhat important to him. Why not keep with viable choices. He obviously isn't going to get an ideal competition gun but he can get one that is capable of handling both.

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#19]
A P320 Carry can do that too. Remember, G19's are not for everyone nor is it perfect or even the best.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the insight everyone, definitely making things a little clearer.  I think my IPSC goals may have been a little ambitious; you can't have everything and it would probably be better to get a separate gun for that.

Definitely like the Glock 26, also possibly the M&P Shield.  I'll have to stop by gander and try them out; it's hard to say what I'm exactly looking for without having hands on.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:  Thanks for the insight everyone, definitely making things a little clearer.  I think my IPSC goals may have been a little ambitious; you can't have everything and it would probably be better to get a separate gun for that.

Definitely like the Glock 26, also possibly the M&P Shield.  I'll have to stop by gander and try them out; it's hard to say what I'm exactly looking for without having hands on.
View Quote

Keep in mind the SIG P320 takes multiple slides, frames, & magazines, so you have one "gun" and swap smaller & larger slides, frames, & mags.  The downside is all those parts come only from SIG.

The Shield is a very popular CCW choice - we can't keep it in stock.  The 26 offers compatibility w/ a whole range of aftermarket accessories, as well as magazine compatibility w/ other pistols & multiple PCCs.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks for the insight everyone, definitely making things a little clearer.  I think my IPSC goals may have been a little ambitious; you can't have everything and it would probably be better to get a separate gun for that.

Definitely like the Glock 26, also possibly the M&P Shield. I'll have to stop by gander and try them out; it's hard to say what I'm exactly looking for without having hands on.
View Quote
That's the best thing you can do right there.

Listening to advice is great, depending on the source. Finding out for yourself is even better.

Good luck with your choice, sir.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
^This

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock 19.
^This

I love my Glock 19, but if I can only carry 10 rounds then it's too big for that.

I would be looking at the G26, maybe the G27, or a G30S with the flush mag. There is also the M&Pc or H&K P2000SK/P30SK.

If single stack is your thing, you could also consider a Sig Sauer P239, S&W Shield, or even a Kahr CT9.

Capacity is the advantage of 9mm. Once you take that away, you may as well start looking at other calibers.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#24]
With the magazine limitations the double stack 9mm/40 types don't make much sense to me.

I would give thought to the slim single stack 9mm's for a first carry pistol. They're easy to carry and give you more confidence in maintaining concealment, which is important for those new to carry.

I would give a serious look at the Walther PPS and PPS2 models. The S&W Shield is also very popular but I like the PPSs better for a few reasons, one of which is it fits large hands better.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#25]
If you are comfortable with the M&P 9 I would recommend going with the M&P 9c or the 9mm shield.
The transition between the three pistols is easy since they are all on the same platform.
The shield has the option of having an external safety or not having one.

I personally carry a Shield every day (currently with the external safety, but I will be selling soonish and getting one without a safety, just personal preference)

Shield is small and easy to conceal, downfall is the pistol grip length and the single stack mag capacity.
The Compact is in between the full size and the shield, but is not to big to carry easily.

If you want a double stack with no external safety I would also look at a  g26
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#26]
G19 makes zero sense for your situation, OP. And that's from a guy who carries the G19.

Someone mentioned the P320...that's a good choice. I personally like the M&P line too but your plan to try a bunch is the best. It's up to the individual user.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:  Capacity is the advantage of 9mm. Once you take that away, you may as well start looking at other calibers.
View Quote

Well, capacity, lower recoil, less flash, faster follow-up shots, lower price of practice ammo, smaller magazine size for a given capacity...
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well, capacity, lower recoil, less flash, faster follow-up shots, lower price of practice ammo, smaller magazine size for a given capacity...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Capacity is the advantage of 9mm. Once you take that away, you may as well start looking at other calibers.

The single stack carry pistols like PPS, Shield, etc are not bad at all in 9mm, but a real handful in 40. I do not recommend them in 40.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#29]
The problem with this forum is that people like to recommend their carry gun with no consideration for OP's needs.

With a 10 round limit, and need to carry in nicer clothes, I would recommend a single stack 9mm. Walther PPS, Khar, Glock 43, Kel-tec P11, XD-S, Beretta Nano, Sig P938, something along those lines. They're all good guns, buy the one that fits your hand the best.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The problem with this forum is that people like to recommend their carry gun with no consideration for OP's needs.

With a 10 round limit, and need to carry in nicer clothes, I would recommend a single stack 9mm. Walther PPS, Khar, Glock 43, Kel-tec P11, XD-S, Beretta Nano, Sig P938, something along those lines. They're all good guns, buy the one that fits your hand the best.
View Quote
Well said.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
buy the one that fits your hand the best.
View Quote

I would counter this a little, in that how a handgun "feels" in your hand in the gunstore, especially to a new shooter, is not necessarily instructive as to how well you will shoot that handgun. Some guns feel great and shoot terribly. Some guns may feel a little awkward, but you shoot them great. It's the bullets where you want them to be that matters, more than anything with a carry pistol. Also with a carry pistol you're sometimes willing to sacrifice a little for certain considerations specific to carry.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I highly, highly disagree with what you said. I have yet to put a gun in my hand that felt horrible that shot well. And I have yet to buy a handgun that felt great and shot poorly.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I highly, highly disagree with what you said. I have yet to put a gun in my hand that felt horrible that shot well. And I have yet to buy a handgun that felt great and shot poorly.
View Quote

I've shot several that felt great until shooting them.
For me the XD was one of them and on the flip side the Beretta 92 I don't care for the bulk of the grip, but I shoot it very well.

Op try to narrow it down to three and go to a range that lets you rent them if possible.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

For me the XD was one of them and on the flip side the Beretta 92 I don't care for the bulk of the grip, but I shoot it very well.

Op try to narrow it down to three and go to a range that lets you rent them if possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW the XD felt horrible in my hands and the M9 has always felt good in my hands and I've always shot it well. YMMV.

Find what carries well and you shoot the best has always been my advice.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Glock 43.  Love mine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Despite all of the Glock recommendations...

I suggest the OP check out the HK USP Compact in 9mm.

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy30/f50_streetracer/IMG_1093.jpg

View Quote
I have a lot more faith in the HK line up than I ever would with Glock.

Nice USPC you've got there.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:32:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I so wanted the VP9 to be that, with a lowered slide and striker fired.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:36:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have been all over that like a monkey on a cupcake.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something tells me that HK will be slow with releasing variants. We all know that they know any .45 full  and C or SK variants of the 9 would really sell.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Something tells me that HK will be slow with releasing variants. We all know that they know any .45 full  and C or SK variants of the 9 would really sell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yup
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup
It gives me time to save for each one, so I have no problem with this
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#43]
IMHO given your limitations I think there are really only three choices that make the most all around sense.  

G26,
G43
Shield.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#44]
No, those are not the only three choices.

They don't even make sense.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
IMHO given your limitations I think there are really only three choices that make the most all around sense.  

G26,
G43
Shield.
View Quote

There are many, many more than three guns that fit OP needs and requirements. Walther alone makes 4 products that are better than the 3 guns you listed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#46]
You mention that you're most comfortable, or have the most knowledge of shotguns and rifles, handguns are kind of a new game to you. You also mention this is your first carry gun, is it also your first time carrying?

I'm going to say something that's going to get my flamed I'm sure, but have you thought about some of the larger, but still smallish .380 pistols? For example, Glock 42, Sig P238, Kahr CM380 (mixed reliability reviews on that one). You can carry the 238 and the G42 IWB or in a pocket, it can go with you anywhere with any kind of attire. Everyone on the internet claims you need a minimum of 9mm to be "combat effective", but they never define what they think "combat effective" is. We're not going to war with our carry pistol, our carry pistol is our last ditch effort to get us out of trouble that we could not avoid.

With quality .380 SD ammo, you can still poke a 10" - 15" hole pretty reliably and you're going to have to put a lot less effort into your concealment and with that light weight gun, it will just blend into your daily life effortlessly. So before you short change the medium-sized .380's, give it a second thought. I carry my G42 every single day, everywhere legally allowed and barely notice it's there. When I carry my G26 (still lightweight for capacity) I can tell it's there and over time it will drive me nuts. Just my .02.

I you don't like Glock, that's cool, look at the 238. I only picked up the 42 because I'm familiar with the platform and it was the perfect Christmas gift haha, otherwise I would have probably ended up with the 238 because it's a beautiful little gun, every bit, if not more reliable than the Glock and very comfortable to hold and shoot.

Slim and light weight all day! Even in 9mm, weight is everything.

Waiting for .380 hate
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You mention that you're most comfortable, or have the most knowledge of shotguns and rifles, handguns are kind of a new game to you. You also mention this is your first carry gun, is it also your first time carrying?

I'm going to say something that's going to get my flamed I'm sure, but have you thought about some of the larger, but still smallish .380 pistols? For example, Glock 42, Sig P238, Kahr CM380 (mixed reliability reviews on that one). You can carry the 238 and the G42 IWB or in a pocket, it can go with you anywhere with any kind of attire. Everyone on the internet claims you need a minimum of 9mm to be "combat effective", but they never define what they think "combat effective" is. We're not going to war with our carry pistol, our carry pistol is our last ditch effort to get us out of trouble that we could not avoid.

With quality .380 SD ammo, you can still poke a 10" - 15" hole pretty reliably and you're going to have to put a lot less effort into your concealment and with that light weight gun, it will just blend into your daily life effortlessly. So before you short change the medium-sized .380's, give it a second thought. I carry my G42 every single day, everywhere legally allowed and barely notice it's there. When I carry my G26 (still lightweight for capacity) I can tell it's there and over time it will drive me nuts. Just my .02.

I you don't like Glock, that's cool, look at the 238. I only picked up the 42 because I'm familiar with the platform and it was the perfect Christmas gift haha, otherwise I would have probably ended up with the 238 because it's a beautiful little gun, every bit, if not more reliable than the Glock and very comfortable to hold and shoot.

Slim and light weight all day! Even in 9mm, weight is everything.

Waiting for .380 hate
View Quote

The day I sold off my last .380, I swore I would never go back. Have not been tempted yet. There are some truly small guns in .380 (like the lcp) but I don't like shooting them, and realized I could at least pocket carry a CM9 if I need a really small gun. Haven't found a need for one smaller. That said, other people do. I would rather have someone carry a pocket .380 than no gun, but you had better shoot it a lot as it is a hard gun to master and understand the limitations of the round and shoot a lot of your carry ammo through it to make sure it is reliable. Also select ammo that has the best penetration.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#48]
SHIELD

Then get a standard M&P and shoot production division USPSA-IPSC

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
SHIELD

Then get a standard M&P and shoot production division USPSA-IPSC

View Quote

The Shield is a real solid choice.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#50]
I'd recommend either G26, Kahr (CM/PM or MK series..?) or them M&P shield or compact, at least as ones to try out & see if you like them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top