Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2016 9:47:34 PM EDT
Looking at appendix carrying my G17. What are the good to go brands for a minimalist holster? The ones that just cover the trigger guard and attached by 550 cord entice me a lot. I like the idea of being simple.

On a side note, I don't think I could ever carry appendix with a round in the chamber. Especially a Glock.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been using a Sticky Holster. friend of mine had one and it seemed to work well, so I tried one.
look em up on Youtube
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Remora holsters would be a good choice. Pretty dang comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:50:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I really like the VanGaurd by Raven.  They have a bunch of different styles for Glock.

http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/vanguard-holster-system/

Link Posted: 3/3/2016 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I dont personally carry the system, but a good friend runs the Raven Concealment mentioned above.  I borrowed his rig a few times to check it out and it works fine.  I personally didnt like so much of the gun exposed and wondered how much debris could get in there, either real or perceived.  

You didnt ask, but I will say if you are not going to carry the handgun with a round chambered at the appendix position, then carry in another position.  Without beating the dead horse, you wont have time to chamber a round, blah blah blah, you know the deal.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
On a side note, I don't think I could ever carry appendix with a round in the chamber. Especially a Glock.
View Quote

I shake my head.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looking at appendix carrying my G17. What are the good to go brands for a minimalist holster? The ones that just cover the trigger guard and attached by 550 cord entice me a lot. I like the idea of being simple.

View Quote

Trigger covered, end of worries.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I started carrying a G27 appendix about a year ago. I use a minimalist holster made by a company called Phlster. It has a little more to it than just a trigger guard cover but is very comfortable. I also bought a heavy leather belt made by crossbreed which made a huge difference in comfort. The switch to appendix took a little getting used to but I couldn't have it any other way now. It may take trying a couple different setups to see what you like.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't think I could ever carry appendix with a round in the chamber. Especially a Glock.
View Quote

Than why carry it at all?
Not gonna do you much good if it doesn't go bang.

I like FIST ultra thin kydex holsters.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I started carrying a G27 appendix about a year ago. I use a minimalist holster made by a company called Phlster. It has a little more to it than just a trigger guard cover but is very comfortable. I also bought a heavy leather belt made by crossbreed which made a huge difference in comfort. The switch to appendix took a little getting used to but I couldn't have it any other way now. It may take trying a couple different setups to see what you like.
View Quote

I carry my 19 in a PHLster Skeleton almost daily. Jon makes some no nonsense fighting gear, it's meant to work. It's one of the best holsters i have, and i have a few...
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the vangaurd 2, only down side was that the rail on the pistol tend to tear up my jeans.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm using a modified g code incog holster. It's very comfortable carrying my g19 for 12 ish hours straight. I carry one in the chamber.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 1:46:03 AM EDT
[#12]
For minimalist, hard to beat the Vanguard from raven concealment. You can't reholster though without taking it off, but it is what it is. I have 3 of them but don't really use them much.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#13]
just my thoughts.

do not go down this road.
if you had seen what I have seen in my career at 4 major hospitals with 2 being area trauma centers..
Glocks and Appendix Carry are not good matches.

just tossing this out there.
I'm sure 50 guys are going to jump in and tell me how they have no problem..

so be it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
just my thoughts.

if you had seen what I have seen in my career at 4 major hospitals with 2 being area trauma centers..

so be it.
View Quote

Not sure if it will be 50, but I'll be the first one. I have no problem.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 5:01:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
just my thoughts.

so be it.
View Quote

Why aren't they a good match?
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
just my thoughts.

so be it.
View Quote

Just curious how many of the hospital cases you saw were..

A. People trained how use firearms.
B. Had a properly designed holster for Appendix carry.

To the OP -  +1 on the Vanguard.  It's my go to minimalist holster.  I've carried my G19 in one for many years.  One advantage it has, assuming you are using it as designed, is that it practically negates a reholstering ND because the pistol will already have the trigger covered before you stick it in your waist band.

Link Posted: 3/10/2016 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
just my thoughts.

so be it.

Probably untrained dumbasses no using proper holsters...
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Probably untrained dumbasses not using proper holsters...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
just my thoughts.

so be it.

Or using holsters at all.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
just my thoughts.

so be it.

I would imagine that taking a stance on anything based on the results of those Hospitalized for involved injuries might skew one against anything. The world can be downright dangerous and I doubt that too many individuals come into the ER to illustrate otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm using a modified g code incog holster. It's very comfortable carrying my g19 for 12 ish hours straight. I carry one in the chamber.
View Quote

Please share the details of your mod ?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#21]
My 2 favorite appendix holsters for the Glock platform are the Phlster Skeleton and the Raven Vanguard 2.  That being said the skeleton gets carried 95% of the time.  I use the Raven only with a G 26 while wearing a light T-shirt. It places the gun lower in my waistline.  And I know it sounds stupid but the easiest way to effectively carry appendix is to keep your stomach flat. Even a few pounds makes a difference.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:47:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I have carried a G19 in a Raven Concealment Eidolon and I have enjoyed it. This in conjunction with my 1.75" Wilderness Systems belt or Elite Survival Systems belt has served me well. It conceals very well under a form fitting t-shirt and is comfortable enough for all day carry. On a side note the wedge & claw work extremely well at tucking the grip nice and tight up against your body. That is the part that has printed on me in the past with my INCOG. The Eidolon, in my experience, conceals the weapon much better in the appendix area than the aforementioned INCOG.

Good luck,
Target07
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

To the OP -  +1 on the Vanguard.  It's my go to minimalist holster.  I've carried my G19 in one for many years.  One advantage it has, assuming you are using it as designed, is that it practically negates a reholstering ND because the pistol will already have the trigger covered before you stick it in your waist band.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
just my thoughts.

so be it.

well...

its a 50/50 wash of holstered vs unholstered. LEO's, gun nuts and hood rats.
the GSW has almost always occurred on removing the firearm from the holster. really no different from the Serpa issues of Glock Leg I have worked on. people get complacent or in a hurry. things happen like this with a cocked striker without a traditional safety. the safest holster in the world only works when the gun in stationary in the holster, all bets are off on the draw and upon holstering.

when LEO's stopped using thumbstrapped holsters on Glocks, most Glock Leg injuries went away, then came the Serpa and it came back. now a lot of people are carrying Appendix and we are beginning to see a blow out every now and then.

I specially carry a SW 99 compact due to the fact I do carry appendix a lot in a High Noon Hideaway. a DA/SA does not pose the same problem. I am an avid proponent of appendix carry with a good holster, just not with a Glock. when I carry a Glock its in a traditional OWB or IWB holster.

you are far likely to hit a femoral artery with a ND or AD from appendix than any other, well besides blowing a nut off.

just tossing my experiences out there and my experience in being involved in GSW patients is now running over 2K in 25 years in the medical field.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I carry a G19 in a JM Custom appendix holster, with a round chambered - only way to fly.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#26]
The minimalist holster for AIWB carry I use is by Q-Series.  It will run you $40.

Q-Series
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:Especially a Glock.
View Quote

WUT?

I will never understand why folks think a Glock just goes boom randomly.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:22:01 AM EDT
[#28]
I've carried a lot of guns in a lot of different holsters.

I have never been happier than with my Glock 43 in a GCode INCOG Eclipse at appendix.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Two things:

1) a minimalist style holster may not be the most comfortable or concealable.

2) if you're not comfortable carrying a Glock with a round chambered appendix (and that is understandable), why not choose something with a manual safety or a hammer so you can be faster to your first shot?

Don't limit yourself to thinking G17/AIWB is the only way to fly.

To answer your question, you can simply order some kydex on amazon for a few bucks, and attach some paracord to it if you want a cheap way to try it out.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:27:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
just my thoughts.

so be it.
View Quote

You forgot to mention how everyone here is infallible and never suffers a lapse in safety... Ever.

I think a mod did a write up in a thread on AIWB and suggested to be very, very careful with striker fired guns when considering that method of carry.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:27:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
just my thoughts.

so be it.
View Quote

You forgot to mention how everyone here is infallible and never suffers a lapse in safety... Ever.

I think a mod did a write up in a thread on AIWB and suggested to be very, very careful with striker fired guns when considering that method of carry.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:52:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Mexican carry is not Appendix carry.

I got one of those $10 kydex things that covers the trigger guard. Works good and still has that avant-garde mexican carry feel.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

FFS
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:07:35 AM EDT
[#34]
OP...have you tried appendix carry with a full size service pistol?  In my experience, unless you're removing it every time you sit down (i.e...before going to a restaurant, getting into a car...), this method of carry is the least comfortable of all the options.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:42:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Guns don't shoot themselves.  If you're fat or stupid go ahead and go ahead forget about AIWB.  Raven Vanguard has worked well for me for several years.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#36]
best real minimal holster: greene force tactical
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

well...

the GSW has almost always occurred on removing the firearm from the holster. really no different from the Serpa issues of Glock Leg I have worked on. people get complacent or in a hurry. things happen like this with a cocked striker without a traditional safety. the safest holster in the world only works when the gun in stationary in the holster, all bets are off on the draw and upon holstering.

when LEO's stopped using thumbstrapped holsters on Glocks, most Glock Leg injuries went away, then came the Serpa and it came back. now a lot of people are carrying Appendix and we are beginning to see a blow out every now and then.

I specially carry a SW 99 compact due to the fact I do carry appendix a lot in a High Noon Hideaway. a DA/SA does not pose the same problem. I am an avid proponent of appendix carry with a good holster, just not with a Glock. when I carry a Glock its in a traditional OWB or IWB holster.

you are far likely to hit a femoral artery with a ND or AD from appendix than any other, well besides blowing a nut off.

just tossing my experiences out there and my experience in being involved in GSW patients is now running over 2K in 25 years in the medical field.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
just my thoughts.

so be it.

Thanks for this.  

I carry appendix 90% of the time because much of the time, for me, it's the only practical option other than leaving the gun at home.  Nonetheless, I appreciate the reality check and the reminder of just what kind of hazards I'm dealing with.

well...

Thanks for this.  

I carry appendix 90% of the time because much of the time, for me, it's the only practical option other than leaving the gun at home. At this point, I'm not convinced to stop doing it.  Nonetheless, I appreciate the reality check and the reminder of just what kind of hazards I'm dealing with.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

well...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
just my thoughts.

so be it.

well...

I don't really see how a DA/SA gun would help in this situation.  The only way those people are shooting themselves while drawing is if they are putting their finger in the trigger guard during the draw, and then most likely "clamping down" out of instinct.    If that's the case you are just talking about a little bit more travel, and maybe a little more force required on a DA gun, but it's going to happen either way.  

For a SA gun with a "safety", most people disengage the safety while drawing, so again, if they are putting their finger in the trigger guard and "clamping" it's going to go bang.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 5:52:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Guns don't shoot themselves.  If you're fat or stupid go ahead and go ahead forget about AIWB.  Raven Vanguard has worked well for me for several years.
View Quote

Sorry but the irony made me lol
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#40]
JM Custom AIWB with a 1911 commander. This is a great set up. Boston leather belt. The only way to go.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#41]
This thing works great with a small auto like a Walther PPK, but a Glock, don't know about that....

Cook's Holsters
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This thing works great with a small auto like a Walther PPK, but a Glock, don't know about that....

Cook's Holsters
View Quote

Why don't you think it will work with a Glock?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cook's Holsters

Just seems like a smaller pistol would be more appropriate.  Maybe i'm wrong.

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 12:35:43 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
well...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

just my thoughts.

so be it.

well...

Software issue.  

How many draws where an nd didn't occur did you witness? How many of those were appendix vs traditional carry? Of the 50% of nds that were with or without a holster, how many would have been avoided if any other gun, carry method, or holster were used? Of those served by your hospital, what percent of those carrying pistols had nd's?  How many had any business carrying a gun at all?

An inability to keep your booger hook off the trigger isnt something you can ignore regardless of your carry method.

When you work in the the repair center, you tend to only see the broken toys.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go on. Lecture us.

Obviously these patients of yours were coherent enough on arrival or survived.. since you were able to ask them what type of gun they were carrying.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Insane kydex creations

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top