Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2016 4:13:03 PM EDT
Any recommendations for a holster?  Gun will be a Colt Gold Cup or a similar Dan Wesson Pointman PM-1.

I would eventually like to get a shoulder holster, and a belt and retention holster.  Any recommendations?  Besides losing weight - already heard that from the Dr. ....
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Anything but an original Serpa if you're going with a belt holster...
what level of retention are you looking for?

You don't happen to have a friend with an SKS and duck boots, do you?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Academy's got an adjustable snap retention shoulder holster for $25 or so.  Carries my RIA just fine.

ETA:  SKS & duck boots got Open Carry jammed through the Legislature in a single session, so props to them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anything but an original Serpa if you're going with a belt holster...
what level of retention are you looking for?

You don't happen to have a friend with an SKS and duck boots, do you?
View Quote

I have a friend with an SKS, but no such boots.

Retention-wise, I'd like something better than just a strap.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Academy's got an adjustable snap retention shoulder holster for $25 or so.  Carries my RIA just fine.

ETA:  SKS & duck boots got Open Carry jammed through the Legislature in a single session, so props to them.
View Quote

I will see if my Academy has that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I carried my 1911 when I had it in a Masters leather holster, no snaps and it was perfect.  Also carried in a Galco shoulder holster.  Honestly you'd be looking upwards of $100 for the Galco and about $60-70 for the Masters if that is what you wanted.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm fat and I either carry in a kydex belt holster, but I shall be ordering a tucker gunleather custom rig.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#7]
My 1911 open carry holster is a Blackhawk! () three slot pancake holster with a thumb break strap. Mainly because a local store had one in stock and I needed something other than anything Uncle Mike's. It pulls the gun in nice and snug to the body. I've got an extra 15-20 lbs but it's still comfortable.

I have a Serpa for my S&W 4006 and while it is comfortable I'm not real fond of how far off the body it carries. I got it because it was the first holster I could find to fit that gun. People just don't make too many holsters for the old S&Ws anymore.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:15:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#9]
You can still mostly keep your gun concealed with an OWB holster. For that I'd use a Raven Concealment Phantom.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You can still mostly keep your gun concealed with an OWB holster. For that I'd use a Raven Concealment Phantom.
View Quote

Raven or Bravo Concealment is who you seek.  BC is a Texas based company so I buy from them.
Not a big guy myself actually skinny but I have the BCA and RTT OWB holder from BC and like them both.  Just depends if you want a cant or not and they also have holsters with retention as well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 12:53:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Only time I open carry out of uniform is when I'm working one of my special details which means I'm wearing visible body armor anyways. Always Safariland for me.

If you need to be able to conceal it OWB any Raven style kydex should work just fine.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Any recommendations?  Besides losing weight - already heard that from the Dr. ....
View Quote

Lose the weight.

Then you don't have to find gear solutions to work around your flab.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I respectfully suggest dropping the extra weight and not just to carry a gun concealed. Your health will improve all around and you'll be more "fit to fight".

In the meantime of cutting some poundage look at Simply Rugged holsters. Very nice at a good price.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:03:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Safariland 6378. Retention, reliability, and simplicity in an excellent package at a bargain price.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:12:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Start watching Pat Mac combat strength training vids, and Tim Kennedy stuff and get hard to kill.

Shoulder holsters suck because any legit good training and competition/ practice around other people to get better precludes thier use. Just FYI.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lose the weight.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any recommendations?  Besides losing weight - already heard that from the Dr. ....

Lose the weight.

Until that happens, going to carry anyway.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Start watching Pat Mac combat strength training vids, and Tim Kennedy stuff and get hard to kill.

Shoulder holsters suck because any legit good training and competition/ practice around other people to get better precludes thier use. Just FYI.
View Quote

Not seeing a better option for use when driving.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Start watching Pat Mac combat strength training vids, and Tim Kennedy stuff and get hard to kill.

They are comfy and conceal well in the winter.  And pretty easy to retain.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Any recommendations for a holster?  Gun will be a Colt Gold Cup or a similar Dan Wesson Pointman PM-1.

I would eventually like to get a shoulder holster, and a belt and retention holster.  Any recommendations?  Besides losing weight - already heard that from the Dr. ....
View Quote

Any number of good kydex holsters.  All I use on my 1911s, or glocks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 10:23:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Rick: Are you using anything right now? If so, what?

You may have to go with a 2 holster solution... One for car and one for other.

Cross draw or Shoulder are good options for car carry. Then you could transfer your 1911 to something else when you get out or use one of those full time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top