Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/28/2016 12:56:40 PM EDT
Just curious as to where people carry their spare mag.

I personally carry my pistol appendix (right handed). My spare mag is in an Kydex IWB holder, located just behind my left (weak side) hip.

I have been toying with the idea of moving it up front for easier access, should I ever need it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I carry a spare at my 8:45 and another under the steering column in the car.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#2]
In my right sock.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#3]
22rd mag left front pocket. 2 22rd mags right front pocket. 2 15rd mags shoulder rig. 1 9rd mag in 1 gun and 1 15rd mag in another gun.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#4]
8:45
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#5]
8 o'clock position.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:01:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry AIWB as well. Spare mag is in a kydex carrier at 10:30 and G26 is at 12:30.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#7]
On my belt in a kytex brand clip on.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#8]
left front pocket.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#9]
opsec

I have no guns
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Pistol: 3 oclock
Mag: 9 oclock
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#11]
In my left pant pocket.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Gun at 12, in a belly band, 2 mags around 9 or 10.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 1:32:33 AM EDT
[#13]
AIWB + I temporarily carry a magazine in each of my two front pockets. I will eventually purchase a mag carrier.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:09:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:19:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You've got to be kidding.

When I carry my LCP I have a spare mag in my left front pocket. G19 or BHP, I tempt fate and just go with the 16 in the gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
22rd mag left front pocket. 2 22rd mags right front pocket. 2 15rd mags shoulder rig. 1 9rd mag in 1 gun and 1 15rd mag in another gun.

When I carry my LCP I have a spare mag in my left front pocket. G19 or BHP, I tempt fate and just go with the 16 in the gun.
Glad I wasn't the only one who went "WTF?" when I saw that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:28:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was about to post the same thing, 10lb pants over here.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:29:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I carry AIWB as well. Spare mag is in a kydex carrier at 10:30 and G26 is at 12:30.
View Quote

I carry in the same way, and find it pretty uncomfortable to carry the spare mag at my left front. Maybe the carrier I got is just too thick or something, but im looking for another option currently. I run a 19 with a 17 spare mag, so same width as yours.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No joke. The weight isn't an issue l'm use to it. I know people who carry more then me.

I would carry another 22rd in my left pocket but that's were I carry my phone.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What guns do you carry?

120 rounds is...excessive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No joke. The weight isn't an issue l'm use to it. I know people who carry more then me.

What guns do you carry?

Seriously, if someone is that paranoid and afraid maybe they should stay home instead of lugging all that shit around.
Not even law enforcement carry that much on them. A spare mag should be more than sufficient.
The thing that worries me is that someone carrying that much extra ammo may not be playing with a full deck and probably may not possess the proper judgment to even carry.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#21]
G31 & G33. It might be excessive until you need it. If you are able to carry it carry it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Seriously, if someone is that paranoid and afraid maybe they should stay home instead of lugging all that shit around.
Not even law enforcement carry that much on them. A spare mag should be more than sufficient.
The thing that worries me is that someone carrying that much extra ammo may not be playing with a full deck and probably may not possess the proper judgment to even carry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What guns do you carry?

I'm worry and paranoid free. No problem passing any psych test.

Would would say that about someone who has more than 2000 rds in their home? Excessive?  Paranoid? Playing with a full deck?

My pockets would be empty without the mags so why not fill them up.

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Just forward of my non-gun side hip.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why no horizontal 33 round on the back with a belt sleeve? You do carry Glocks right???

ETA: Don't tell me you're carrying a 40...
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding, looks like someone is itching for a fight. I don't even know one cop that carries that much on duty even
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Gun at 9, 3 extra mags at around 3o'clock

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#27]
AIWB for me...gun at 12:30...mag at 11:00 IWB.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#28]
33rd'er rubberbanded to my tube steak
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#29]
11-11:30
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:22:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
33rd'er rubberbanded to my tube steak
View Quote

too much tactical
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Always carry a spare in an OWB mag carrier. I'm right handed so it's at about 9:00 lately. I used to carry it behind the hip, but then I put on weight and it left a lot of marks. It looks like I have acne scars on my love handle. Booh.

I have since moved it to more of a 10:00 position lately. It's actually more comfortable and easier to access so that's a plus.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What guns do you carry?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What guns do you carry?

In a real gunfight, I doubt most people would get more than one reload in before it was over and done with one way or the other.

Anything else is just Hollywood.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Speed strip in my left front pocket when carrying my J-frame. When I have the G17 I tempt fate by leaving the spare mags at home.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

From what I found online, the average number of shots fired in a self-defense shooting is between 2 and 3. The outliers are usually in home invasion scenarios. Based on that, the only reason to carry a reload at all is to deal with a mag-induced stoppage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In a real gunfight, I doubt most people would get more than one reload in before it was over and done with one way or the other.

Anything else is just Hollywood.

From what I found online, the average number of shots fired in a self-defense shooting is between 2 and 3. The outliers are usually in home invasion scenarios. Based on that, the only reason to carry a reload at all is to deal with a mag-induced stoppage.

Maybe slightly off topic but I carry a spare primarily for the reason above...malfunction.
The added benefit for AIWB carry is that it balances out the bulge in your waist line made by the gun.
This is especially helpful if you have ever tried to tuck your shirt while AIWB carry. It keeps your waist line smooth all the way across your front.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:31:31 AM EDT
[#36]
I keep it in my left front pocket.  This time of the year, when I wear a jacket, I keep it in the left jacket pocket.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I keep it in my left front pocket.  This time of the year, when I wear a jacket, I keep it in the left jacket pocket.
View Quote

I have an issue with carrying things in pockets. When you grab something in your pocket, like a gun or magazine, your fist naturally balls up. Even in my heavy leather jacket, the jacket moves with my hand when I try to pull it out of the pocket quickly. I almost have to shake my hand out of the pocket. If my jacket is zipped up, no problem; but it isn't always.

I run into a similar issue when carrying a spare mag in my pant pocket. The fist has trouble clearing the pocket mouth once it's balled up in a grip. In both cases, the result is a delay in presentation. Sometimes, the presentation itself is wrong because an unsecured magazine will change orientation, e.g. it will end up sideways or upside down.

I eventually decided on belt carry in a mag carrier to always be sure of the magazine's correct orientation on the draw and ease of access/draw. Do what works for you, though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Most of the time I carry a Gov't model clone IWB about 4:00 in a Summer Special.  I have a single Kydex mag carrier that I wear about 8:30.  This gives me 19 rounds, (.38 Super), which hopefully is enough.

Now, for all of the end of the world scenarios, I have a 3 cell nylon mag pouch.  It will hold either Gov't model magazines, or my P226 magazines.  With 15 in the magazines, and 1 in the chamber, that makes for 61 rounds.

I actually did this a time or two to prove that it would work.  I do believe it is excessive.  Some times I carry 2 spare mags, and use the center cell to carry my Maglite.  Even 46 rounds seems a bit much.  (My opinion only, carry as many rounds as you want to).

I have a Milt Sparks 6pack, but now you are getting into so much weight and bulk as to be impractical for anything but range use or photo ops.  

If zombies attack me at home, I can quickly grab my zombie defense bandoleer.  It is a 3 cell nylon mag pouch on one side, with 2 12 round shotgun pouches on the other side, mounted on a convenient shoulder strap.  That gives me 45 rounds for the P226 and 24 for the Benelli.

Having spent the time and money to develop this item, most likely I would just pick up my AR15 and the .38 Super if surprised at home.  

If I am carrying my LCR, I usually try to tuck a speed strip in the watch pocket of my jeans.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#40]
In a bandoleer over my left shoulder.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Prison wallet.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#42]
On my belt in a Bravo Concealment kydex pouch.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:55:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Back left pocket. Always carry it there. Fits perfectly with a wallet.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#44]
IWB

or

OWB

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Left front pocket.  I carry a Streamlight behind it. The flashlight keeps it oriented sideways/rounds forward.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:24:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Left cargo pocket or at 9 o'clock in a Blue Force Gear belt-mounted pouch.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Gun IWB at 3 oclock.  Spare mag in left front pocket.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:24:54 PM EDT
[#48]
With jeans, P7 or G43 mag in watch pocket.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I just wanted to throw in a thought I had on the topic of carrying 5 extra mags and 100+ rounds of ammo.  I'm a former prosecutor, and generally I don't buy any of the "don't use reloads/modified trigger/gun with a removed mag safety/etc because if you have to shoot someone, they'll use it in court" stuff.  I use reloads, and I removed the mag safety from my BHP.  Not gonna make a bit of difference in a good shoot.

But I was thinking about George Zimmerman, and all the shit he went through.  The prosecutor in that case tried to make an issue out of the fact that he was carrying with a round in the chamber, saying that it indicated he was looking to go shoot someone.  How do you think it would've played in court if the prosecutor displayed his handgun, his other handgun, four or five extra mags and 120 rounds of ammo?  

God help you if you feel the need for a loadout like that and you are involved in anything other than a clear-cut SD shooting.
View Quote

Valid thoughts, IMO.  Also Google Raul Rodriguez.  That dude recorded himself confronting a noisy neighbor, whom he ultimately shot after making sure he proclaimed on video "I'm in fear for my life, I'm standing my ground!"  He got 40 years (in Texas, no less!).  This guy apparently always carried a gun and two hi-cap mags, but they made a big deal that he suited up with 45 rounds of ammo for this confrontation.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top