Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2016 8:58:19 PM EDT
Have a friend who is planning on getting citizenship and they are married to a US citizen. They only have a green card. She lives in oklahoma and according to our state laws they will not allow a non us citizen a permit. Anyone do non resident and non us citizens permits?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#1]
A buddy of mine got his carry permit before he got his green card. If he has that why can't he get a permit?
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I applied for my green card and my carry permit at the same time in NY, I swear if 9/11 hadn't happened they would have come at the same time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:47:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A buddy of mine got his carry permit before he got his green card. If he has that why can't he get a permit?
View Quote

Oklahoma you have to be a US citizen. That's why I was asking about non resident.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:50:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Oklahoma you have to be a US citizen. That's why I was asking about non resident.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might have better luck in the OK hometown forum.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:23:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Texas will give non-citizens carry permits, I believe.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Depends on state. The only one I knew you have to be a citizen is AZ
Permanent resident can get IL, UT, FL, NH (I know because I have all 4 )
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:53:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you still get those as a non resident of the state?
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:42:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not IL, unless you're a resident of a "substantially similar" state (mental health reporting), which at this time is only Hawaii, SC, VA, and one other state I can't remember off the top of my head. Plus for an IL non-resident CCL,  you have to cough up $300 ($150 for residents) and go for 16 hours of training.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in Illinois. The other 3 are non resident
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I looked into the New Hampshire one and I'll let the Icelander know about it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Nevada will too. There is no restriction on citizenship, as long as they can legally possess a firearm.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 6:26:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I can personally attest that GA will issue a carry permit to a GC holder. At least, that was the case almost 10 years ago. Based on what I've read, that hasn't changed.
Hope your buddy gets hist citizenship - the fact that he's considering carrying, is a step in the right direction. too many people that immigrate to the US, don't embrace the freedoms that they GAIN when they move here. Embrace those rights, exercise them and defend them!
Where did he come from?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:18:19 AM EDT
[#13]
The law in arkansas says you have to be a citizen, but a permanent resident sued and the court said that the state has to make the licenses available.  In other words, permanent resident can get it in arkansas.  Also, the Oklahoma law probably wouldn't withstand a legal challenge.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Texas will give non-citizens carry permits, I believe.
View Quote

Correct.  As well as NFA items.......  I love Texas.  Hope to have my citizenship this year.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Correct.  As well as NFA items.......  I love Texas.  Hope to have my citizenship this year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Texas will give non-citizens carry permits, I believe.

We're glad you're here.  Thank you for jumping through all those hoops to get here - it's all to prepare you to do your income tax.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 2:38:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not IL, unless you're a resident of a "substantially similar" state (mental health reporting), which at this time is only Hawaii, SC, VA, and one other state I can't remember off the top of my head. Plus for an IL non-resident CCL,  you have to cough up $300 ($150 for residents) and go for 16 hours of training.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NM
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#17]
There may also be an additional problem in getting a non-resident permit without a resident permit from the state where your friend resides.
Here in PA, in our non-resident Utah class, one of the applicants was trying to find a "work around" for the difficulty he was having getting a PA LTCF (he was a resident of the city of Philadelphia).  He was hoping he could just get the non-resident Utah permit and then through reciprocity be able to carry in PA…..NOT gonna' happen.
One of the qualifiers for issuance of the Utah permit was an existing PA LTCF.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top