Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2016 10:13:04 PM EDT
Which is the better between the two, for those that own both?
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer the Shield. Just not a fan of any Ruger I have shot including the LC9S. You need to stick to what feels good to you though. My opinion is just that, my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#2]
That is a hard call...

I had the LC9 and a SIG 238. Both of those were equal as far as accuracy - velocity - concealability - feel. They took different ammo to do that - tested 10 different ones.

One had to go so I stayed with the SIG...

I have a Shield in .40 S&W. Nice pistol but the Safety is so small I think it would be easy to miss under stress. (they DO make one without safety ~ need to go shopping)

My first criteria is to pick the largest caliber I can conceal for a given situation in a gun that fits Me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Try them both and pick the one you like. I was sure I was going to get a Shield but I compared it to the LC9s and went home with the LC9s. The trigger felt better and the grip fit my hand better. Both are excellent guns though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:10:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the shield and an lc9. Honestly they're both my main carry guns. Shield for IWB and lc9 for when I have to pocket carry. I don't think you can go wrong but the shield is definitely more shoot able.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 1:34:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the shield and an lc9. Honestly they're both my main carry guns. Shield for IWB and lc9 for when I have to pocket carry. I don't think you can go wrong but the shield is definitely more shoot able.
View Quote
I own the Shield myself, but it's the only gun I own that when shooting it, it feels like I have a hard time controlling it because there isn't enough of an aggressive texture on it. Think getting talon rubber grips would solve my problem? I've used a friends XDs with the sand paper talon grip, and it was not fun at all to shootat all. Not for this guy, I don't like having my hands bleed when shooting, and I like a comfortable grip or it is pointless, sits in the safe unused, then sold because of it not being used.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Both are good pistols.  The question is which one will you shoot best and carry ALL the time.

I sold my LC9 to my FIL because it was to small for my gigantic hands to hold onto.  I went with a Walther PPS.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#7]
The Shield is much more enjoyable to practice with. Less recoil...
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I own the Shield myself, but it's the only gun I own that when shooting it, it feels like I have a hard time controlling it because there isn't enough of an aggressive texture on it. Think getting talon rubber grips would solve my problem? I've used a friends XDs with the sand paper talon grip, and it was not fun at all to shootat all. Not for this guy, I don't like having my hands bleed when shooting, and I like a comfortable grip or it is pointless, sits in the safe unused, then sold because of it not being used.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rubber grips might help. Maybe it's too small for your hands? I didn't feel the need to put anything on either grips. But I also don't like my muffin top being rubbed raw . The lc9 is thinner in the grip by quite a bit, but it has a lot more texture so I never had a problem holding on. Now my pm9 is a bit of a handful.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That is a hard call...

I had the LC9 and a SIG 238. Both of those were equal as far as accuracy - velocity - concealability - feel. They took different ammo to do that - tested 10 different ones.

One had to go so I stayed with the SIG...

I have a Shield in .40 S&W. Nice pistol but the Safety is so small I think it would be easy to miss under stress. (they make one without safety ~ need to go shopping)

My first criteria is to pick the largest caliber I can conceal for a given situation in a gun that fits Me.
View Quote
Just don't apply safety

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Rubber grips might help. Maybe it's too small for your hands? I didn't feel the need to put anything on either grips. But I also don't like my muffin top being rubbed raw . The lc9 is thinner in the grip by quite a bit, but it has a lot more texture so I never had a problem holding on. Now my pm9 is a bit of a handful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I put the Talon rubber on my Shield and love it, plenty of gription without being overbearing.

Tom
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I put the Talon rubber on my Shield and love it, plenty of gription without being overbearing.

Tom
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tom
Well that settles it, popular opinion says to fo with that, and keep the Shield.

Thanks fellas.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

GSL,
I know you have already made your decision, but I also agree with the Shield.  I have shot the Ruger and the trigger actually felt "too light" if that is possible for a carry gun.  The grip was also a little small.  I tried the G43 and compared to the Shield, I still liked the trigger and accuracy of the Shield much better.   I think you made a good choice..!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a Shield and my GF has an LC9S. I agree, the Shield is much more enjoyable to shoot. The Ruger conceals slightly better, but not enough for me to consider switching.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I tried both and went with the LC9s.  

Conceals better for me and I feel the trigger is much better.

Both are fine CCW choices.

Patrick
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tuff1 grip enhancers ftw. Sticky "rubber" that works and feels great.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:15:53 AM EDT
[#16]
The shields are one of the best current pocket size guns. I had my doubts until we picked one up. For the money, it has no equal. Just my opinion
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:42:37 PM EDT
[#17]
the shield, hands down.

the lc9 just aint as durable; outside of the size, its almost not comparble
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
the shield, hands down.

the lc9 just aint as durable; outside of the size, its almost not comparble
View Quote

Up to the top.

What guy runs better dirty?  I put an LC9S on layaway yesterday because it felt just a tiny bit better in my hand and the trigger was better.  Plus the only shields they stocked had safeties.

However, I am going to use this gun to replace my G23 for all around hiking, CCW, motorcycle riding, etc..  So I am now a bit worried that the LC9S isn't going to run as good as the shield when dirty.

Anyone's thoughts on that?  I have an LCP and as long as I keep the lint and sand out of it, it seems fine I guess....

I believe I can switch what gun I have on layaway without issue as they have many of each; it wouldn't be like I took the last one off the shelf.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:47:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if some of the difficulty with control is due to how thin it is? I find that to be the case for me and thin pistols. Maybe try out some Hogue grips on it to see if a little added thickness helps?

Eta: Looks like I'm late on that suggestion.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I've handled both and prefer the Shield.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I own both and prefer the shield.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll be "that guy".  I don't own both...only the LC9s Pro. Its currently my EDC pistol. Maybe I'd like the Shield better if I owned one, but I couldn't be happier with the Ruger. It's unquestionably the most accurate compact pistol that I've ever owned. I've put maybe 500 rounds through it in the last year. I don't believe I've had a hiccup of any kind. If I have, I don't remember. The trigger is awesome and it just plain hits whatever I aim at. I think it's pleasant to shoot. I don't find it at all uncomfortable or snappy. I carry it with Federal HST with complete confidence. Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'll be "that guy".  I don't own both...only the LC9s Pro. Its currently my EDC pistol. Maybe I'd like the Shield better if I owned one, but I couldn't be happier with the Ruger. It's unquestionably the most accurate compact pistol that I've ever owned. I've put maybe 500 rounds through it in the last year. I don't believe I've had a hiccup of any kind. If I have, I don't remember. The trigger is awesome and it just plain hits whatever I aim at. I think it's pleasant to shoot. I don't find it at all uncomfortable or snappy. I carry it with Federal HST with complete confidence. Just my $.02.
View Quote
Thank you for your input. Nothing wrong with having a difference of an opinion.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I ended up swapping to the shield 9.  I have zero doubt the Ruger is a good gun and I am a huge Ruger fan, but for this particular item I guess I just felt like the shield was better suited for me.  I carry the LCP quite a bit and when it came down to it, I didn't need a super easy to conceal handgun as I would just use the LCP.

So the shield it was for a multitasker.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top