Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2015 10:30:21 AM EDT

So, age has caught up with me and I am in a place now where I can still see distance fine but my reading vision is impaired.  I wear 250 magnification reading glasses which work fine for seeing sights but I can't see the target  I,m aiming at.  This prevents me from carrying at all.  What is the best solution for me?  Bifocals or something else that's practical.  Does anyone else have this problem?   What do you use?  I know  that sight fit can be specific to a particular gun, so for lack of argument, say an M&P Shield and no laser solutions please.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, 250 magnification is a lot.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, 250 magnification is a lot.
View Quote

+2.50 my bad.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a look at trifocal progressive lenses.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the common old man eyesight too and what finally worked for me is to get progressive bifocals and have the optometrist place the mid range focus at the level on my lenses where the front sight rests when in the ready to fire position. That way the front sight is pretty clear and I can still see the target clear enough for shot placement.  I did some firearms training with my optometrist so having them measure for angle and distance with a drawn firearm was no biggie. If you're not comfortable with yours you can improvise with a ruler that has a toothpick taped at the distance of your front sight when you hold it.

Side note, you need to practice often without any eye correction too so if you lose your glasses in a fight or get woke up in the middle of the night you're at least familiar with the mechanics.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#5]
XS big dot front sight.  
Trijicon HD orange or yellow front sight
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:06:39 AM EDT
[#7]

I am 54 and wear progressive bifocals. I CCW every day and train and practice with and without my glasses. I need them to shoot targets but a self defense shooting will most likely be only a few feet away.

I use a S&W 9c with factory sights.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:10:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Do a LOT of dry fire practice, literally thousands and thousands of cycles with a good sight picture. Then do thousands of cycles of the same drawing and dry firing with good sight picture.  Then worst comes to worst, if you ever DO have to shoot in real life, you will have trained your muscles in what they should be like and have a higher chance of making hits even without easily verifying sight picture.

Option 2, do all of that, but get a laser as well.

Bonus, it's what everyone should be doing anyways.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:47:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
XS big dot front sight.  
Trijicon HD orange or yellow front sight
View Quote

I have old man eyes (2.00 scrip) and have a full XS Sight Sytems Big Dot system on my K9 I carry everyday.

Hard to miss even without my specs on.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I shoot with a bunch of guys that have similar issues.  There is an eye doctor that they all go to and he is cool with them bringing a firearm with them to the eye exam.  While in the chair he has them aim at a target on the wall and does the eye exam based on your site picture.  In the end you end up with a pair of glasses that give you a perfect view of the front sight and the target beyond.  I was born with terrible vision but fortunate enough to not need bifocals or trifocals so as long as I can read the letters on the wall clearly i can see my sights and targets clearly.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#11]
With my glasses, the sights are fine.  It's okay if the target is a little blurry.

I did just buy a couple of RMRs for installation on pistols.  Just gotta find someone willing to do it right.  And then practice, practice, practice.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#13]

I just had the cataract surgery on my right eye and left will be done next Tuesday. Today I had sight check for the glasses for right eye. Doc corrected my sight from -11 to -.75 for far vision. For reading I will need +1.5 but I asked to have sharp vision at the stretch of my right hand like I aim the pistol.

This should be good for target or defensive shooting. I may need another pair for really close when I'm working  

I had my left eye done last Tuesday and went to Walgreens to check over the counter glasses, with +1.5 I can see sights well and target slightly washed out at up to 30 feet. I ordered the safety glasses with +1.5 reading lenses from this place

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I wear progressive bi-focals and I have to use sights with no white dots. Most of my sights are Heine with just the tritium inserts, one for the front sight and just one dot in the rear. I use these on a Glock 19, Dan Wesson VBOB and I'm adding them to a Glock 43.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
M&P9c with a red dot may be what you're looking for.

View Quote

that camera needs +2.5 glasses too

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#16]

I need reading glasses to read also.
Think mine are 2.50 also.
I had my daughter paint some fluorescent green fingernail polish on my front site around the circular nitesite.
Works great for site alignment.

Personally I don't think you or anyone else, myself included are going to be doing much site alignment in a self defense shooting to begin with. It's most likely going to be up close and personal with more of a point and shoot action.

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Big dot front sight and practice target focused shooting.

Anyone who practices for defensive shooting should be experienced at shooting with visual focus on the target in any event.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 3:57:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Get a ton of ammo and practice point-shooting. Then all you need to be able to see is your target. My former manager had vision problems and switched to point-shooting, and can hit soda cans reliably at 15 yards.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Bifocals or computer glasses for me here. 56yo. I've got a set of Big Dot night sights on my Sig 239. They work well for quick shooting and give decent precision though for very precise shots I really struggle. On the other hand defensive style shooting is much easier with that monster dot than the old plain black on black. Sucks getting old.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top