Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2015 2:52:10 PM EDT
I am awaiting some ammo to arrive to do a reliability test on my Bodyguard and TCP to decide which one I carry as an alternative to the shield. I did a dry run today with the BG and TCP in separate pocket holsters to see how it would work in my right front/rear pockets. It worked wonderfully in that regard. Co workers couldn't decipher if I was carrying a gun or not, much less two. I really am liking the idea of these .380's to carry more often than nothing at all.

At any rate, at lunch today I was uncomfortable (even though the gun was unloaded) because while I was sitting the gun in my front right pocket was pointing right at the person across the booth from me. I don't know if I'd feel comfortable having a gun loaded pointing at someone while I eat. I felt like the person at the range that points the gun at other shooters. At least a belt holstered pistol its pointing basically down at the floor.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#1]
A holstered pistol (assuming proper trigger guard coverage) isn't going to fire by itself any more than an unloaded pistol. Safety rules don't apply unless you are handling a firearm. Once you holster your pistol, resist the temptation to screw with it and all will be well. My only concern with pocket carry would be a slower draw but definitely not a safety issue. It's in your head.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't seen it as much of an issue. I carry m XDs in my front pocket all the time. Let's not be irrational here, if the gun is in a proper holster that covers the trigger guard completely, the gun isn't going off on its own.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A holstered pistol (assuming proper trigger guard coverage) isn't going to fire by itself any more than an unloaded pistol. Safety rules don't apply unless you are handling a firearm. Once you holster your pistol, resist the temptation to screw with it and all will be well. My only concern with pocket carry would be a slower draw but definitely not a safety issue. It's in your head.
View Quote

I'm sure it's in my head. I've been carrying for around 10 years or so and just started trying pocket carry as of late because I'm not carrying as much as I used to because it's so damn hot here. It was an observation I had today and want to get checked into the ARFCOM mental institute for pocket carrying LOL.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I haven't seen it as much of an issue. I carry m XDs in my front pocket all the time. Let's not be irrational here, if the gun is in a proper holster that covers the trigger guard completely, the gun isn't going off on its own.
View Quote

I understand that it won't go off "just because". I guess from a rational standpoint I know, myself, that my gun is inadvertently pointing at someone. I guess it goes back to the safety rule of not pointing your gun at something you don't intend on destroying. I like my coworkers LOL
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I can see it both ways.  I carry an LCP (sometimes pocket carry in a Nemesis, and sometimes appendix carry).  I've had the same though when my 3 year old son was standing in front of me while I was seated.  Not a good thought, but as others have pointed out, the gun isn't going to fire itself either.  The LCP has a long heavy trigger that is not going to be accidentally pulled especially in a proper holster.  I'm not comfortable carrying guns with "nice" triggers.

Use a proper holster, don't put anything else in your pocket (no keys or pocket knife), and don't finger fuck it while in your pocket.  In the end, if it makes you uncomfortable, you can IWB carry.  I've actually almost exclusively switched to appendix carry for comfort (vs pocket carry).
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I can see it both ways.  I carry an LCP (sometimes pocket carry in a Nemesis, and sometimes appendix carry).  I've had the same though when my 3 year old son was standing in front of me while I was seated.  Not a good thought, but as others have pointed out, the gun isn't going to fire itself either.  The LCP has a long heavy trigger that is not going to be accidentally pulled especially in a proper holster.  I'm not comfortable carrying guns with "nice" triggers.

Use a proper holster, don't put anything else in your pocket (no keys or pocket knife), and don't finger fuck it while in your pocket.  In the end, if it makes you uncomfortable, you can IWB carry.  I've actually almost exclusively switched to appendix carry for comfort (vs pocket carry).
View Quote

I'm the same way with "nice" triggers. Honestly the triggers on my shield and BG are pretty light and I'd honestly not mind them being a little heavier for that very reason. The TCP also has a very nice trigger pull. I couldn't imagine making any of the three triggers better than they already are. I've never worried about the shield going off, or any of the three for that matter. If I do decide to pocket carry absolutely nothing will go in the pocket with the pistol and it the trigger guard will completely cover the trigger. The holsters I have for the two already do that as of now. I'm looking forward to running both with 500 rounds when the ammo arrives to decide which one I will carry. Both would fit in quite nicely!
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I pocket carry my lcp sometimes. Even though I know it's covered in the holster, I still sometimes find myself pushing the muzzle downward away from someone across from me. It's just one of those things.

As far as I can tell, nobody has noticed me doing it. Kinda looks like I'd be shifting my wallet if my wallet was in my front pocket.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I pocket carry my lcp sometimes. Even though I know it's covered in the holster, I still sometimes find myself pushing the muzzle downward away from someone across from me. It's just one of those things.

As far as I can tell, nobody has noticed me doing it. Kinda looks like I'd be shifting my wallet if my wallet was in my front pocket.
View Quote

That's a good idea. Do you have a rigid kydex holster or a softer neoprene type holster?...out of curiosity?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's a good idea. Do you have a rigid kydex holster or a softer neoprene type holster?...out of curiosity?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soft neoprene. Never liked the kydex ones must for pocket carry. They usually require your thumb to hold the holster down to draw. Plus, the neoprene ones bed a lot more helping it look more like a wallet.

I use a Desantis Nemesis. http://www.desantisholster.com/THE-NEMESIS
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is exactly correct.

I have pocket carried a good bit.  The main drawback is the encumbered draw.  
But there is an advantage, too, which is generally easier access.  A pocket is usually available to use for carry on or near the outside of one's garments.  Best are outer jacket pockets if they are deep, "slash" type, but there is always, with any pocket, the possibility of fumbling the draw.  That just goes with the territory of this mode of carry.

One other advantage is easy "On & Off".  The reason I pocket carried was because I needed to discretely secure the weapon in a steel lock box once I arrived at work, and then re-acquire it for the drive home.  I work in a secure work area, no access by the public, with a small group of people I have known and trusted for over twenty years.  Pocket carry accommodates this well; holsters….not so much.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Pocket carry in daily for me and is governed by the largest caliber I can conceal - which ranges from .45 ACP, 40 S&W, 9mm, .32 ACP, down to .22 LR. (don't want or need a .380 as they are generally as large as my 9mm)

I carry all in leather, and use the Mitch Rosen Leather Lightning to allow for clean draw with no holster snag.

If pocket carry isn't feasible I move to inside the waistband from 2 1/2 to 3 O'clock or crossdraw from 9 to 9 1/2 O'clock. - most of my pocket holsters convert to IWB. ( a RH IWB will also work on the left side as a crossdraw)

I don't normally wear tucked in shirts while not a factor, most of my IWB holsters allow for that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#12]
The BG and the lcp are double action, thus why they have a heavy trigger compared to the striker fired tcp, g42, ect.... theres no way that hammer is gonna pull back and snap forward unless the trigger is pulled. As long as your using a pocket holster there is zero chance of it going off. Most striker fired have blocks inplace incase a spring failed and they released they still dont make contact.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 2:22:19 AM EDT
[#14]
The only weapon I pocket carry is the Kahr P380 which is one of the smallest 380's of the bunch. Other than it's size the Kahr has a long smooth trigger pull that gave me a secure feeling while pocket carry. I have tried other larger weapons for pocket carry but I could never feel comfortable with anything larger than the smallest of Kahr pistols. When I hear people talk of carrying some of the larger sub compact's in 9 and 40 and even in 45 I just could never understand how they do it and remain comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I also find anything bigger than an LCP to be a pain for pocket carry.  It might be o.k. standing, but when I sit it's pretty obvious there's something "gun like" in my pocket even with a pocket holster.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 4:38:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I also find anything bigger than an LCP to be a pain for pocket carry.  It might be o.k. standing, but when I sit it's pretty obvious there's something "gun like" in my pocket even with a pocket holster.
View Quote

This is my experience.  I have some trouble with an LCP as it is.  I can't imagine anything bigger.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 6:01:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I carry my P938 in Condition 1 in my left front pocket.  The holster completely covers the safety and the trigger.  It's not going to fire until I fire it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This is my experience.  I have some trouble with an LCP as it is.  I can't imagine anything bigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop wearing skinny jeans....
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 11:41:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think people that say they can pocket carry a double stack Glock must wear super baggy jeans.  Otherwise I need proof.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 4:30:13 AM EDT
[#20]
I know of a guy who actually shot his wife under the table while they were out to eat, accidentally.  However, the jackass was pocket carrying without a holster.  She lived, not sure if they are still married...

Anytime someone asks me about a gun for pocket carry - I start the discussion talking about pocket holsters.  Sometimes I get the pig staring at a wristwatch look,  "Didn't think about that..."  My first consideration for any carry system is trigger coverage.  I believe that as long as you protect the mechanism that makes it go boom, mindset not withstanding, it's just as safe as any other carry position.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#21]
A few other advantages of pocket carry:

1 - you dont have to worry about where to put your gun when you take your pants off (taking a dump, doctors office, etc...)
2 - while a "suprised" draw is slow a "prepared" draw is very fast, you can walk with your gun in your hand (inside your pocket) and look 100% innocent, cant do that with any other method of carry.

Now, as far as printing goes, you better learn to accept a little printing, I suggest a holster that has a flap on the outside facing side so it looks like a big wallet, you dont want a too loose fitting combination of big pocket + small gun.  Makes it likely to have the gun fall out when you sit down.  

Of course you dont want a big gun+small pocket combo either, otherwise the draw is impossible.

The goldi-locks zone is "snug", which means you will print at least slightly.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#22]
A BG 380 has a pretty stiff safety, not likely to disengage all by it's self. Keep any other crap out of the pocket your gun is in and you shouldn't have an issue. I carry one with a UTG 3.6" Ambidex Pocket Pistol Gun Holster I got for around $10.00 on eBay and it works great. Feeling comfortable carrying will come with time. Don't over think it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#23]
If you're that worried about it consider a Walther PPK.  With its safety and double action operation you might feel more secure.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Ive pocket carried a keltec 380 for years with no problems.  I always have a holster that covers the trigger guard and add an extra piece of something to brake up the printing.  I now see that Raven Concealment now has a device that should help concealment and aid in the holster staying in the pocket too clicky.  If you're still uneasy just carry your gun with the magazine loaded, that way you feel safer and all you have to do is rack the slide, its better than not carrying a gun at all.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I've pocket carried a number of different small guns: a Kel Tec P3AT, a S&W Bodyguard, and currently a Kimber Solo.  Rule #1 of pocket carry: your gun pocket is your gun pocket, and that's it.  No coins, keys, or any other items besides the gun in an appropriate pocket holster.  Rule #2, use a pocket holster.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I regularly pocket carry a Khar CM40 in a Desantis Nemesis.   You may think you're printing but trust me no one notices.   Pocket carry is by far the most comfortable for me you just need to make sure you've got pants / shorts with the right pockets.  You also need a good gun belt to handle the additional weight.    I've never had a fear of sweeping someone while a gun is in a holster.  Like someone said, sweeping is a gun handling issue not a gun holster issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top