Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2015 4:00:11 PM EDT
Ok I need a good list of options
Would like it to be smaller than g19
Probably .380 as pocket nines suck for her to shoot
I understand that mini 9mm abound now and I would like her to have 9mm but alas I would rather her have a .380 with her than a 9mm at home
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Glock 42

EDIT: Check myself before I reck myself
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Most 380 pistols are direct blowback and suck for recoil as much if not more than the smaller well designed 9mm's you can buy these days. My MIL who is in her mid-70's is small framed and arthritic. She can shoot her Lc9 just fine. Although for you I would recommend the Lc9s, my wife has the PRO and the trigger is great on them. Also heard good things about the Shield. I carry the 938 and it's a great gun, but they are almost twice the price of the other two if cost is a factor.

ETA: Just stay away from +p loadings in them and the recoil isn't terrible.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought my wife a Glock 42 after she wanted something smaller in size and weight than her Glock 19 to carry. I'm not thrilled with the .380 acp cartridge, but it's better than her leaving her other Glock at home or in the car. And in this day and age I want her to always have a gun on her when she leaves home (even if I'm with her). And as a reference point, my wife is 5' 6" and 128lbs.

As for the price of a new Glock 42, I think I paid $349 or $359 for a blue label after tax, before tax it was $319.

As a side note; I would let her choose the gun. I merely guide my wife as to what companies produce good quality firearms and which companies produce crap.

After that I told my wife to figure out how she wanted to carry it, and to find a holster that would work for how she'd carry. She chose the Nomad holster by T.Rex Arms holster company, and to carry on her left hip.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Sig 238
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Take her to a range that rents guns.  No amount of internet gurus will ever pick the right pistol for her.  This is something she must do on her own (with guidance) or you will end up wasting a lot of money on different guns\gear or her not carrying\shooting the gun at all.

The good options are almost endless and the price covers the whole spectrum.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Lots of women love the pk380, i have 2 female friends who like it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#7]
,357 revolver     she can learn to shoot with 38's   and load it to carry with .357     .  just clean it proper .
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#8]
The one she picks out and will carry.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Let her shoot a bunch of different guns and decide for herself.  The gun she likes and carries is 1000% better than the gun you choose that she won't carry.  Even if you think her choice is stupid.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't rule out a j-frame IMO. One of the problems with the pocket autos is slide manipulation since the recoil springs are usually fairly heavy and the slide real estate is minimal. Not sure if this is an issue for your significant other but can be for many women especially depending on age or physical condition (same can be said for many men as well). The .38 in a proper loading will also be a step up from the .380 as well and much more on par with a 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:53:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is the correct answer.

Quoted:

This.  Let her shoot a bunch of different guns and decide for herself.  The gun she likes and carries is 1000% better than the gun you choose that she won't carry.  Even if you think her choice is stupid.

Also true.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#12]
+1 for the G42 if she likes it... I have worked with some older frail ladies that had problems working slide, and suggested a Beretta m86 with tip up barrel... but probably close to the size of a G19
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Let her find 1 she likes and that feels good in her hand

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#14]
G42….

but it may need work on its damn slide stop to prevent it from locking back on a partially loaded mag.

I like mine a lot and I think I have it "cured", but that damn slide stop lever is EXACTLY where a shooter will want to place their thumb.  It can be hard to train this out of one's hold.

G26

Mine is absofreakinlutely reliable and easy to shoot well because it has more full size type of grip. I really love this little shooter, but some people don't like it at all and your wife may turn out to be one of them….handguns are very personal weapons.

S&W "Lady Smith" in .38 Spl.

I like this revolver a lot and wish I had one for myself (it will take larger grips for a man's hands).  It's an anomaly in the current Smith line-up as it is (I believe) the only small frame .38 revolver remaining made of all steel construction.  I wish that Smith would offer the 638 (shrouded hammer) in all steel construction.  Smith really needs to ditch the Goddamn aluminum frames.  

just my suggestions and my .02 cents.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I carry a 9mm Shield. A lot of women seem to like them and carry them. Recoil is very good.

I've shot a G42 and it wasn't bad, but I didn't like the trigger.

My first pistol was a Bersa Thunder .380. It's about the same size as a Shield. I've successfully gotten a number of women shooting well with it their first time out (before I had a .22 for a time). It's good on recoil. I have carpal tunnel and am recoil sensitive.

The snobby revolvers and micro .380s can really hurt. I have an LCP I bought a few months ago, but I use it for deep concealment in a bra holster and only shoot a couple of mags at a time.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#16]
In her hands ...,..
The .380bersa Thunder shoots softer than the g19s we rented a bunch of mini/micro 9mm she hated every one of them shield,  xds, some others
She's picky, likes enough grip that her pinkie has a home the bersa we have on loan has some reliability issues she kinda liked the sccy in her hand/ haven't got the chance to shoot one yet

My experience with j frames was that snubbies suck/ unpleasant with anything more than bunnie fart wadcutters.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:22:02 AM EDT
[#17]
All I know is that I'm not buying a pink gun unless she knows what she wants .

I don't wanna get stuck with a pink gun that I can't get rid of lol
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife loves her P938.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Get her a Shield and tell her it's a .380Long

ETA: I know we can play both sides of the argument that one she carries is better than none, but part of the conversation should include the the gun is used to shoot a bad guy. Hurt the bad guy so bad they stop being a threat. The BG may very well die. Killing someone is self defense isn't supposed to be soft and comfy and convenient. Her skill and proficiency with firearms should evolve to where she can competently manage a firearm, including 9mm, before she decides on whatever carry gun suits her desires for self defence.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:21:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ok I need a good list of options
Would like it to be smaller than g19
Probably .380 as pocket nines suck for her to shoot
I understand that mini 9mm abound now and I would like her to have 9mm but alas I would rather her have a .380 with her than a 9mm at home
View Quote

That's like asking what kind of car is good for a woman.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Forget about that small gun crap!  Nothing will make them hate shooting more!  Go somewhere she can heft different models, SHE'LL decide what's right for her!  I have a million and one guns, my wife chose my 4" S&W 27 to call her own!  She's proficient as anyone could be with it!
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife has small hands and found the Gen. 4 Glock 26 to be comfortable and easy to manipulate, while still holding an adequate number of rounds (plus the ability to hold higher capacity magazines. think spare 15 round mag). I still need to get her to a rental range to try it out, but she handles my other 9mm handguns well.

Whatever you get her, make sure it's something she can shoot the shit out of to build and maintain proficiency.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:22:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best answer in this thread right here.

Most men think they know what is best, especially the die hard fanboys. In another thread one member tried to push what he likes to a female member to get, and in a tech thread he openly states problems he's had with said brand gun I just do not get why folks want to push what isn't exactly "perfection" and call anything else as crap...let them decide and try them out first. It's for them, not YOU.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Glock 42

EDIT: Check myself before I reck myself
View Quote

FPNI.  Softest shooitng and most out of the box accurate pocket 380 I have shot.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I have two guns. One that doesn't suck to shoot and a P3AT that I can actually conceal but that sucks to shoot. That's how I make it work.

Sold my nice Sheild because it wouldn't conceal. Oh well.

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 12:07:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Forget about that small gun crap!  Nothing will make them hate shooting more!  Go somewhere she can heft different models, SHE'LL decide what's right for her!  I have a million and one guns, my wife chose my 4" S&W 27 to call her own!  She's proficient as anyone could be with it!
View Quote

Totally agree.  My wife didn't like the recoil of the small semi autos.  She chose a Ruger SP101.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#27]
My wife chose my S&W Model 681 after I put Crimson Trace grips on it. I haven't shot it since.

Like most everyone else, let her pick it out. A friend's wife picked out a Random P64 9X18 Makarov because it felt good, until she shot more than a magazine through it. She bought a Ruger LC-9s and is happy and well armed.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:14:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Bud, let her be the judge of what she wants to carry/shoot!  You're reading too much BS online and wherever, that women need small guns, in shitty calibers!  That's not a good combo for anyone!  Buy her a Gen4 G19, 3-4"bbl 38spl.  These guns have plenty of proven knockdown power, and are sized enough to get a good grip on.  I've seen women shoot magnums, better than all the novices and "experts" on these forums!
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:39:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Bud, let her be the judge of what she wants to carry/shoot!  You're reading too much BS online and wherever, that women need small guns, in shitty calibers!  That's not a good combo for anyone!  Buy her a Gen4 G19, 3-4"bbl 38spl.  These guns have plenty of proven knockdown power, and are sized enough to get a good grip on.  I've seen women shoot magnums, better than all the novices and "experts" on these forums!
View Quote
Blue is conflicting with red.

How about she picks what she wants instead of some random "expert" who just contradicted himself? Yes, that is the best answer.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:45:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Ruger LCP 22 Magnum
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I have taken dozens of women to the range with my bag of goodies.

almost every single one of them liked 3 handguns best.

SW 66 with a 4 inch barrel
G19
Bersa 380

not only did they like them, but they all have shot them very well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

G19
Bersa 380

View Quote
I have been to a lot of classes, and I have not seen those three being popular with the ladies that were there.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have been to a lot of classes, and I have not seen those three being popular with the ladies that were there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

G19
Bersa 380

I have taken probably 60 women that work in healthcare in OK to the range. my results are pretty informal. these are what I have taken to the range for them to try out.

442 airweight .38
Taurus 85 . 38
SW 66  4 inch
G19
Bersa .380
SW 99C .40
1911 full size
Beretta 92
Browning Buckmark
SIg 225
Ruger P89 ( decock model)
Ruger GP100

to my knowledge this has been the breakdown. I am a NRA Handgun Instructor and a firm believer in shooting what you are comfortable to shoot and shoot it well. but I don't force any styles on them. I just show them options and give them an opportunity to get a feel for the different models. some have bought a pistol for the house, some carry daily.

6 or 7 bought Buckmarks or Ruger MKII for various reasons.( some just for target practice)
1 bought a 1911 fullsize ( she had some handgunning experience and she shot the hell out a 1911)
3-4 bought various .38 snubs ( mostly hammerless- 442 or Ruger LCR)
2 bought various Sig's

the rest has been fairly equally divided between medium sized revolvers ( .357- but they loaded .38 +P), G19 and the Bersa .380.

the Bersa's have been shockingly rock solid.
all of them have loved to shoot the medium frame revolvers. the 66 and the GP100 are the ones they always ask if they can shoot again.

in my Laboratory, all the female employees carry ( all had guns before working for me- I had no input with their training or firearm choosing)
1 carries a Sig 225- but she has mentioned she dislikes the levers and may switch to a Glock.
3 carry various Glock models- 19 to various sub compacts.
1 carries a Sig 938 ?
1 carries a 442 ( the wife)

now- since OK is an Open Carry State now
I have taken a mental note of what pistols I have seen being carried by non LEO females.

2- Sigs
2- 1911 compacts
5-6 small revolver types
a lot of Glocks.

in fact one of the workers at the busiest Quick Trip in Town mentioned one that that he has seen more G19 type pistols on hips than any other- male or female.

I would be very interested to know what others have seen or experienced.
one thing I have noticed is roughly half, have had some experience with a handgun before I ever took them to the range. 75% have approached me directly to take them to the range thru friendship, co worker or word of mouth. I'm not a pro- working at a gunshop or an instructor advertising or charging a fee. just the dude who everyone say's " go check with Oknativeson"

its a low stress day when I take them out. I much prefer helping females learn to shoot, than trying to help males. most of the women seem to absorb what you are telling them.

this is a good topic, all info should be noted by everyone.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Probably the same handgun recommended for a man!  Size/stature doesn't matter in shooting Bud!  "God made all men, Samuel Colt made them EQUAL!"
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:44:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Probably the same handgun recommended for a man!  Size/stature doesn't matter in shooting Bud!  "God made all men, Samuel Colt made them EQUAL!"
View Quote

Average hand size/strength difference between women and men is to be considered. Women shooters also don't typically have the ego male shooters will and won't "force" themselves to like a gun like many male shooters will regardless of comfort and recoil. If a female shooter doesn't like a gun they simply won't shoot it in my experience. Hence why THEY should shop for the gun and shoot it out, you should only supply them with facts and brand recommendations if you desire to be involved in the purchase.

Tons of handguns sit around unshot because a male told the female what they wanted or needed.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Average hand size/strength difference between women and men is to be considered. Women shooters also don't typically have the ego male shooters will and won't "force" themselves to like a gun like many male shooters will regardless of comfort and recoil. If a female shooter doesn't like a gun they simply won't shoot it in my experience. Hence why THEY should shop for the gun and shoot it out, you should only supply them with facts and brand recommendations if you desire to be involved in the purchase.

Tons of handguns sit around unshot because a male told the female what they wanted or needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you make several solid point.
I've been there with rifles, pistols, shotguns and even bows.
you buy something and think its awesome, but the reality is that it just doesn't feel right or fit you like you wished.

I have a Beretta shotgun that no matter how hard I tried to shoot it well. I never was able to gel with it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:44:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have taken probably 60 women that work in healthcare in OK to the range. my results are pretty informal. these are what I have taken to the range for them to try out.

442 airweight .38
Taurus 85 . 38
SW 66  4 inch
G19
Bersa .380
SW 99C .40
1911 full size
Beretta 92
Browning Buckmark
SIg 225
Ruger GP100

"snip"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

G19
Bersa 380

442 airweight .38
Taurus 85 . 38
SW 66  4 inch
G19
Bersa .380
SW 99C .40
1911 full size
Beretta 92
Browning Buckmark
SIg 225
Ruger GP100

"snip"
Out of all that, I'd pick the G19 too because of the lack of options. You need an XD, a VP9, an M&P, and a few more polymer in DA/SA as that is not a fair and impartial list to trial from. In fact, it looks like a set up for failure to me
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:45:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo!
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 1:07:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Out of all that, I'd pick the G19 too because of the lack of options. You need an XD, a VP9, an M&P, and a few more polymer in DA/SA as that is not a fair and impartial list to trial from. In fact, it looks like a set up for failure to me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

G19
Bersa 380

442 airweight .38
Taurus 85 . 38
SW 66  4 inch
G19
Bersa .380
SW 99C .40
1911 full size
Beretta 92
Browning Buckmark
SIg 225
Ruger GP100

"snip"

haters gonna hate.
personally, I never liked the XD series, no desire to buy one or a M&P, except for the 45 M&P.
I carry the SW99C everyday. but am thinking about switching over to a G19 that I have had some work done on.

I buy guns for myself, not to personally supply others test guns. I'm a nice guy and all..but I draw the line on that.

all that Glock hate will burn you up.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 1:36:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

haters gonna hate.
personally, I never liked the XD series, no desire to buy one or a M&P, except for the 45 M&P.
I carry the SW99C everyday. but am thinking about switching over to a G19 that I have had some work done on.

I buy guns for myself, not to personally supply others test guns. I'm a nice guy and all..but I draw the line on that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

G19
Bersa 380

442 airweight .38
Taurus 85 . 38
SW 66  4 inch
G19
Bersa .380
SW 99C .40
1911 full size
Beretta 92
Browning Buckmark
SIg 225
Ruger GP100

"snip"

haters gonna hate.

So, it is a set up.

This is not how a selection should work, where you set them up to like something that you like without giving a fair an impartial chance to evaluate everything. (n fact, you're to be disregarded because your info is tainted with a biased and fanboy approach to show what not to do with new shooters.

And not burned up at all with this "hate", all this has done was show that you're not being professional in helping a new shooter out and being fair about it.

Even I have a glock that sits buried in my safe, for the sole purpose of being fair to new shooters and getting them to pick what they like out of my fair and impartial selection. Then the glock gets buried again, never to be used until the next newest shooter is asking for help.

So like I said, you set it up to succeed and did a horrible job at "helping" new shooters.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top