Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2015 9:26:45 PM EDT
When I can get around to it I plan on purchasing a modern kilt, kind of like the one 5.11 puts out every once in awhile but not so "tacticool".  In looking at the features on different kilts I suddenly realized toting my Commander or G19 might (or might not) be an issue.
So, any of you manly men rock a kilt and pack heat?  Any issues I should be aware of or features to look for in a kilt?
I know I'm opening myself up to a lot of "what's under your kilt?" shots, and that's fine.  Have fun.  I just ask that you also bring something positive to the table.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Real men wear lederhosen.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Typical inside waste band works.

Eta - read this so you don't look bad in the kilt.  http://www.amazon.com/So-Youre-Going-Wear-Kilt/dp/185217126X
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe some sort of garder belt holster. or thunderwear
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Probably easier to just carry the gun in your purse.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Typical inside waste band works.

Eta - read this so you don't look bad in the kilt.  http://www.amazon.com/So-Youre-Going-Wear-Kilt/dp/185217126X
View Quote

That's a great book. I read it in the 90's when I started playing bagpipes and looking into semi-traditional garb.  Definitely a worth while read if one plans on wearing a kilt or related accessories.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Nothing says "Hey shoot this neckbeard over here!" like a tactical kilt!

That said, iwb probably works.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm pretty sure OC is a requirement if you're wearing a kilt.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Ankle holster......should be very quick

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I wear Utilikilts quite often and honestly carry the same way. The only issue I run into is my kilt belt is wider than most holsters can accommodate.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Probably easier to just carry the gun in your purse.
View Quote

BOOM
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a traditional kilt and I would think iwb would put it higher than I would like.  My sporran has enough room so I've never worried about it.

I've never worn a utilikilt so I don't know how they compare, never noticed anyone wearing one also wearing a sporran.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Duct tape it to you suck stick
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Duct tape it to my...

Um, yeah. Way to keep it classy. Thank you for your contribution.

I've wanted a Utilikilt for years but I couldn't justify the price. Now I've missed my opportunity as they've gone through a major redesign that I think looks awful and they won't be offering the original style anymore. Now I'm trying to sift through the details on UT Kilts, Damn Near Kilt'em, and American Kilt to see which uses the heaviest material. With those cargo pockets I was thinking of maybe going with a cheap Uncle Mikes pocket holster and either sewing the holster into the pocket against my thigh or a piece of Velcro with the matching part on the holster and take it in and out as needed.
If I someday get a traditional kilt, maybe I'll have a sporran either customized or custom made for the task.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Someone please explain why on earth one would wear a kilt out and about?
If it's not a traditional style worn for an event like a wedding or funeral you just look like a half ass tranny attention  whoring around town. As far as carrying goes IWB or purse is the only answer.

Really?

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#16]
OK, I've got to give it to you, you have provided some truly horrible examples.  They look like rejects from the Scottish Abercrombe & Fitch catalog. However, having worn a kilt in the past ( I was in a pipe band for a few years) I promise you there is no garment on God's green earth as comfortable. The traditional wool ones are beautiful but friggen expensive, can be a bit hot, and aren't necessarily the best for everyday wear or hanging around.  The new "modern" kilts fit that bill.
Either way, in my experience, the secret to successfully pulling off going kilted is to have the balls to do it (see what I did there? ) and just having the confidence to not give a flying F what anyone else thinks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If it's not a traditional style worn for an event like a wedding or funeral you just look like a half ass tranny attention  whoring around town.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If it's not a traditional style worn for an event like a wedding or funeral you just look like a half ass tranny attention  whoring around town.
As mentioned, they're VERY comfortable and women love them.  If your preference is to keep women away from you, and there's nothing in this PC world that says you should be ashamed if you do, then don't wear a kilt.

As far as carrying goes IWB or purse is the only answer.
What's wrong with good old OWB belt holsters?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#18]
stick a .25 Beretta or a .32 Walther in your sporran and move on.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I view a kilt as ethnic wear.  As part Italian, part German, there is nothing in my ancestry that would allow me to wear a kilt as anything but an affectation.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#20]
A kilt is a lot like a Fedora.  Just because it looked great on Bogart doesn't mean it's not going to make you look like a moron.

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#21]
If you're going to wear a kilt go all out with a Great kilt, proper sporran, basket hilt sword, Targe shield, etc....

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Move to Portland, OR first
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you're going to wear a kilt go all out with a Great kilt, proper sporran, basket hilt sword, Targe shield, etc....

http://www.kiltmen.com/greatkilt.jpg
View Quote

Interesting choice since Neeson is very anti-gun.

But yeah, no one's going to notice the handgun in a sporran when you have a sword & shield.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Ever consider that there was a reason Scots started wearing pants?  Kilts were never really a good idea.  Historic use of an item doesn't make it an appropriate item.  Think moving through an area with lots of thorns and such.  I'll take long pants and long sleeve shirts every time.

I know they make you trendy and fashionable, but I've never worried about that.  I'm more concerned about what has been proven to work.  Sort of why I like 1911's and revolvers over glocks and sigs.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 3:02:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Ever consider that there was a reason Scots started wearing pants?  Kilts were never really a good idea.  Historic use of an item doesn't make it an appropriate item.  Think moving through an area with lots of thorns and such.  I'll take long pants and long sleeve shirts every time.

I know they make you trendy and fashionable, but I've never worried about that.  I'm more concerned about what has been proven to work.  Sort of why I like 1911's and revolvers over glocks and sigs.
View Quote
So you are saying that 1911's and revolvers have been proven to work better than glocks and sigs?

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 3:06:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
When I can get around to it I plan on purchasing a modern kilt, kind of like the one 5.11 puts out every once in awhile but not so "tacticool".  In looking at the features on different kilts I suddenly realized toting my Commander or G19 might (or might not) be an issue.
So, any of you manly men rock a kilt and pack heat?  Any issues I should be aware of or features to look for in a kilt?
I know I'm opening myself up to a lot of "what's under your kilt?" shots, and that's fine.  Have fun.  I just ask that you also bring something positive to the table.
View Quote

Welcome to 2002
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Wearing a tactical kilt is gayer then a guy wearing tights.... Hell, I'd sooner walk around in tights.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top