Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I use grease on most components that slide and oil on anything that rotates since first getting into guns. There are a few exceptions, but semi-auto pistol frame rails always get grease. Never had the grease dry up or cause a malfunction.

ETA: I'm still using the last of my gun grease, but I have a large tube of Persist machine grease that has a very high/low temp. rating, it disperses water extremely well and stays put no matter what. I've tried it on a few pistols and it's still on there, bright red and lubing the rails after thousands of rounds.

Here is the stuff: http://www.lawsonproducts.com/Drummond/Persist-High-Temperature-Bentonite-Grease/DN4380D.lp I got a tube of it for free years ago and should last me the rest of my life considering how little needs to be used.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use grease on most components that slide and oil on anything that rotates since first getting into guns.
View Quote

Is there any logic behind this theory? I've never seen any reason not to just use grease on anything, at least providing one can apply it where it needs to go.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Is there any logic behind this theory? I've never seen any reason not to just use grease on anything, at least providing one can apply it where it needs to go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use grease on most components that slide and oil on anything that rotates since first getting into guns.

Unless I completely disassemble the firearm when cleaning, oil will get into the little spaces grease can't reach like in a pin hole or through a spring and the pin it covers. Normal cleaning always has me taking anything that slides out of the gun. You can use grease or oil on everything, but the sliding parts usually see a lot more use when firing and the grease I use can take a lot of abuse, heat and won't evaporate no matter how long it sits. It's not set in stone that slide=grease, rotates=oil which is why I said "There are a few exceptions". I've used oil on slide rails and it's almost gone after 50 rounds, but the grease I use is there after thousands of rounds like I applied it that day. If using grease on everything then a completely disassembly would be required so you know it's applied properly. Oil is fine on most rotating parts since they're not doing much where as a slide has a lot of metal on metal contact that heats up quickly.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Cheap-o high temp automotive grease from wally world in my M1 Garand, Beretta 92FS, and a few other autos, haven't had a single issue.  Oil on all my revolvers.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I run my carry Glock pretty much dry. If I take it to the range I lube it then wipe it down later. It works 100% and doesn't collect as much dust.

ETA: synthetic grease on AR's,white lithium grease spray on AK's
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:36:37 AM EDT
[#6]
About a decent gun grease attracting dirt or soiling one's clothes when a gun is carried daily.......it doesn't.

Regarding a viscous oil like Breakfree LP running, attractng lint or other dirt, and soiling your clothes when properly applied.......it doesn't.

There's no reason to carry a dry gun instead of a properly lubricated one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:There's no reason to carry a dry gun instead of a properly lubricated one.
View Quote
That's true of any mechanical device where there's metal to metal contact.  I'll never understand why people would carry any gun dry- it doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's true of any mechanical device where there's metal to metal contact.  I'll never understand why people would carry any gun dry- it doesn't make sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:There's no reason to carry a dry gun instead of a properly lubricated one.

Unless you're trying to do some kind of stress test on a firearm, I see no reason to every run them dry. I've yet to see a single benefit, outside of it gets you out of having to care for your firearm as much.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#9]
high temp bearing grease holds up well with my edc in the south florida heat and humidity
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Mobil 1.  More than needed.  Yes, I get oil on my and on my clothes.  Who cares.

Oil dry up?  Maybe if it sits for a few months/years.  It doesn't dry up one month to the next when I tear it down after shooting it or carrying it for awhile and need to re lube and wipe it down again.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:30:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

+1 and love it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been using this for that last year or so.

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/skus/p_100011038_1.jpg

+1 and love it.

Smells cool
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:52:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I just started using white lithium grease because I have a ton of it anyway. Seems to work great on slide rails, and it doesn't dry out or run out from everyday carry like gun oil eventually does.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been using Frog Lube for the last couple of years on all my carry guns.  The gun stays dry till it heats up.  Works great.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Mobil 1.  More than needed.  Yes, I get oil on my and on my clothes.  Who cares.

Oil dry up?  Maybe if it sits for a few months/years.  It doesn't dry up one month to the next when I tear it down after shooting it or carrying it for awhile and need to re lube and wipe it down again.
View Quote

Same(although I don't over lube). Mobil 1 works for me. It's cheap and I have yet to have any issues with it no matter what season I am in. Anywhere from 95° to -2° so far without issue.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#16]
50 /50 blend of STP Oil Treatment and Marvel Mystery Oil.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with any good CLP, used it for years.   I just got sick of the smell, and found froglube.............
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I CLP all the things...and thats it....

Have I been doing it wrong all this time?

Nothing wrong with any good CLP, used it for years.   I just got sick of the smell, and found froglube.............

I CLP everything and I don't sniff anything that has been near my crotch all day, so CLP smell doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, I use STP/ATF/stop leak mix.  Nice and thick like Heinz Ketchup
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 10:32:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Oil on my Glocks, grease on rails of my Sig, and other aluminum/steel combo guns.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't tried it mixed with ATF.....sounds even thicker than mine. I wanted something thicker than CLP that stayed where you put it and didn't disappear overnight. An old bullseye shooter turned me on to the STP/MMO blend.

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
here's an odd one for ya....

I run my carry dry.

I oil it when I'm gonna do some range time. then when done i clean it and leave it dry.
its NOT gonna fail dry. there will be NO issues.

now if you use a thick grease, it will fail. use an oil, use too much, check your eyes.
a carry gun doesn't need to be oiled to work.

but if you just have to any light oil will work.
View Quote

I was at a qualification shoot, and two of the pistols on the line started malfunctioning within the first magazine (10 shots). Both were dry as a bone. Both shooters replied they didn't use lube because it would pick up dirt and cause the pistol to malfunction

Once lubricated, both pistols functioned perfectly through the rest of the shoot.

My pistol in its normal storage/carry condition with Superlube grease got pressed into service as a loaner and ended up shooting about 500 problem free rounds. It didn't fail then, nor has any other handgun I've ever lubricated with Superlube, or TW25B. I think you're doing a disservice by dissuading people from lubricating their firearms. Certain firearms will function without lube but some will not. It's a source of never ending amazement to me how many people think that not using lubricant on a firearm is a either a good idea or somehow a desirable characteristic.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Hoppes Gun Grease on the rails and contacts.  Mobil 1 on the rest.  

I carry a Glock 43, P228 or G23.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been using synthetic ATF for 10+ years on all my guns.
No issues.  Runs great for hundreds of rounds in My Commander and my AR's.

One quart lasts forever.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I spent HOURS and hours searching for info on the best grease for my autos.  I had been using an aircraft grade grease then switched to overly expensive gunslick.  

Lubriplate SFL-0 is what I switched to.  Nontoxic and nonstaining are bonus, but it lubes as well or better than the fancy gun greases and only costs $15 for a lifetime size can at midwayusa.  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/379954/lubriplate-sfl-0-gun-grease-14-oz-can  

This stuff has just the right viscosity and stays on even when wet.  I'm not a scientist or anything, but i put some between my thumb and finger and ran it under the water- it stayed put and was slicker than snot.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/379/379954.jpg
View Quote

I use the same thing and it works great.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I am a mechanic by trade and have used grease since I bought my first gun at 18. Multi purpose for years, slip2000 ewg as of maybe a year ago. Oil doesn't stay put and burns off
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Mobile1 synthetic user here...
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Hoppes Elite here
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#28]
CLP on internals, grease on rails.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Moble 1 for the win Alex
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#30]
CLP for the innards and TW25b on the rails.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Stability at temperature extremes seems to be the most critical item in my experience - otherwise the grease will run just like oil all over the place and not stay where you need it
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Have been using hi-tech wheel bearing grease on all mine for 10 years, works well.  Use it on stuff ranging from AR bolts to $2k 1911's, no issues.  You can get a tub of it for $5 that will last a lifetime.  I have a few cans of Ballistol if I ever feel the need for a CLP, but I mostly just use it for wiping down blued guns.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top