Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2015 8:54:36 PM EDT
My girlfriend is not able to carry at work so she leaves her Sig P238 in the car during the workday. However, her parking lot is in direct sunlight all day so the interior of the vehicle and its contents get extremely hot. The result: an aluminum-framed gun which is too hot to handle when she returns to her car at the end of the day.

She has asked me about ways to keep the gun cool enough to handle when she gets to her car at the end the day. She's concerned that she would not be able to hold the gun if she needed it.

What I've thought of and suggested:

1) sell the gun and purchase a polymer-framed handgun, which she is not willing to do (she really likes her P238 and if she likes it, she'll carry it, so ok, fine.)
2) purchase a Hogue grip adapter as a buffer between her hand and the hot frame.

Anyone have any advice that may help? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Anything in the car is going to be HOT. 120 to 140 is normal. Ever grabbed a plastic steering wheel on a hot day....

Make a cotton sock for the grip or she needs to wear a glove until the ac cools it down.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Dry ice each day in the same compartment......

Keep a gel ice pack around the gun each day.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Better leave the window cracked so the carbon dioxide can escape.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would that be climate change or cabin warming?
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#5]

The climate change is causing the cabin heat.  Honest, Al Gore told me so.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#6]
This topic came up the other day about storing electronic equipment when on vacation in the car. The concern was heat effecting the display in this case. Several comments about using insulating containers and keeping it in the bottom of the trunk area. For some this seemed to work and minimized the temperature of the device in the container by location.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This topic came up the other day about storing electronic equipment when on vacation in the car. The concern was heat effecting the display in this case. Several comments about using insulating containers and keeping it in the bottom of the trunk area. For some this seemed to work and minimized the temperature of the device in the container by location.
View Quote

That's actually not a bad idea, the trunk is probably cooler than the cabin.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#8]
cut down the light transmission through the glass... use the reflective window block screens... side window drip awning, with window down for ventilation... solar squirrel cage vent fan for slightly lowered window... pistol in a 6pack Styrofoam cooler... my 280ZX with glass T top got hot enough to melt the 160F bullet lube I was using
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Where exactly is she keeping it? Plainly you don't need to answer that here, just evaluate it.
We get regular temps well into the 90s, though we rarely break 100.
My dash, steering wheel, and anything else in direct sunlight get miserably hot, painful not harmful, stuff down by the floorboard, gets warm, but nothing serious.
One of those windshield shades and/or cracking windows would help.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My girlfriend is not able to carry at work so she leaves her Sig P238 in the car during the workday. However, her parking lot is in direct sunlight all day so the interior of the vehicle and its contents get extremely hot. The result: an aluminum-framed gun which is too hot to handle when she returns to her car at the end of the day.

She has asked me about ways to keep the gun cool enough to handle when she gets to her car at the end the day. She's concerned that she would not be able to hold the gun if she needed it.

What I've thought of and suggested:

1) sell the gun and purchase a polymer-framed handgun, which she is not willing to do (she really likes her P238 and if she likes it, she'll carry it, so ok, fine.)
2) purchase a Hogue grip adapter as a buffer between her hand and the hot frame.

Anyone have any advice that may help? Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Give the amount of time exposed to the heat.....even a steel gun will heat up to ambient temps...just like an aluminum gun.

The only way you are going to cool the gun down, is to cool the inside temp of the car down.  Leave the windows cracked, add window tint to the windows.

Maybe put a rubber wrap around grip (Hogue) on it?
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Have the same issue myself.  I use a reflective window shade, store the firearm out of direct sunlight and leave the back windows cracked to allow for air movement and have yet to have an issue where the firearm is too hot too handle.  Hope that this helps.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I ordered a Hogue HandALL Jr. which should be here tomorrow so we'll see if that helps. I asked her if she could crack the rear windows but she said she doesn't feel comfortable doing that (we live in Houston and she works downtown).
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I ordered a Hogue HandALL Jr. which should be here tomorrow so we'll see if that helps. I asked her if she could crack the rear windows but she said she doesn't feel comfortable doing that (we live in Houston and she works downtown).
View Quote

I would suggest keeping it as low in the vehicle as possible under the seat, I keep mine a lock box under the seat seems to stay cool enough to hold at the end of the day. Depending on the vehicle I would also look at getting a sun shield they are cheap to put across the windshield on the inside to reflect the heat back out.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 8:23:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I would suggest keeping it as low in the vehicle as possible under the seat, I keep mine a lock box under the seat seems to stay cool enough to hold at the end of the day. Depending on the vehicle I would also look at getting a sun shield they are cheap to put across the windshield on the inside to reflect the heat back out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There should be a locking box in use anyway.

If she doesn't have one, this is the first step.

One of those sun shield thingies that go in the windshield may also help (plus, she can use that to help hide the motions of getting the gun out of the lock box.)
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Maybe try keeping it in an insulated lunch box?
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Maybe small flat styro cooler or lunchbox cooler with gel pack inside.

Should not reach the max temp. Also leave window ajar to let the hottest air escape

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

One of those sun shield thingies that go in the windshield may also help (plus, she can use that to help hide the motions of getting the gun out of the lock box.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She locks it in the glove box wrapped inside a towel. The glove box at least offers one additional mechanical barrier that would have to be defeated by someone breaking in before the gun would be accessible.

The additional privacy for stowing and retrieving the gun afforded by a solar shield is a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Keep in mind that anything that cools the gun is going to cause condensation (cars tend to get humid regardless), which will rust it pretty quick.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Window tint, windshield screen, and a small hard sided insulated lunch box. Don't put anything in the box besides the gun. It won't be cold but it won't be scorching hot either.

I keep water in my vehicle during the summer inside a hard sided lunch box. It doesn't get anywhere near air temp.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#20]
One comment on the HandAll.  If they are exposed to heat on a regular basis they begin to deteriorate and become "sticky".  Even after they cool down they are tacky and will attract all sorts of stuff to a point that they look fuzzy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
One comment on the HandAll.  If they are exposed to heat on a regular basis they begin to deteriorate and become "sticky".  Even after they cool down they are tacky and will attract all sorts of stuff to a point that they look fuzzy.
View Quote

As an alternative you could wrap the grip with that silicone self-adhering repair tape. It won't break down in the heat the way rubber products will.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I forgot about this one... I have some Log Tags (only one with humidity) so I will throw them in my car under the seat and in the glove box and take some actual readings.

Let you know what I see!
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:15:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Keep it in a small car safe bolted around the seat frame & under the seat...should solve the problem. The gun will never get too hot to grab, & it's more secure .
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#24]
try working somewhere less sketchy so a gun isnt needed in the parking lot? I know thats blasphemy here. but its a thought.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
try working somewhere less sketchy so a gun isnt needed in the parking lot? I know thats blasphemy here. but its a thought.
View Quote

She works in the HPD building at the Houston Crime Lab. It's just the reality of living and working in any large metropolitan area.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I use a reflective windshield shade, crack my windows, and i keep my gun under the seat in a GunVault type safe like http://www.amazon.com/GunVault-NV300-NanoVault-Combination-Lock/dp/B003841ZBS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1439756317&sr=8-3&keywords=vehicle+gun+safe that i bought at a local store. it has foam on both sides of the gun and being under the seat out of the sun it doesn't get to hot. The slide is still a little bit warm when i put in back into my IWB holster but not to bad, and this last month in arkansas it's gotten over 100 degrees. It was only about 25 bucks locally.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I got some data today that tends to back up what I 'thought' about this.

Car parked in the open with only afternoon partial shade. Yesterday was 88°F and temp in glove box reached 92°F

Under drivers seat it only got to 87.5°F

Putting it in a box or wrapping a towel around will change nothing but only delay it for a while. The car has an ambient temperature and after a time EVERYTHING in the car will reach and stay at that temperature! Makes no difference what it is made or or how well you insulate it, it will reach ambient temperature over time.

Humidity: In a closed space there is a relation between Temperature and Relative Humidity. the Higher the temperature goes, the lower the RH becomes... Likewise as the temperature decrease the RH goes up! But in a closed space, as long as the moisture content remains the same, this relation will remain the same.

Now there are modifiers - a wet towel tossed in the car, clothes, open beverage, will evaporate raising the moisture content and thus the RH.

Were it mine, I would go with the windshield block, maybe back window too. A well insulated container under the seat would be the coolest (accessible) spot with the insulation delaying the rising temperature.

I am redoing the test now with one recorder wrapped in a hand towel in the glove box. Won't know until tomorrow but then I have a trip to make and that AC will ON (expectation is that it will delay but not stop the rise)
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Got my other numbers but too busy to post...

Nice day, humidly went up to dripping and I parked in a lot with NO shade.

The Relative Humidity logger was under the seat overnight and was slowly rising from 8 PM till 9:00 AM from 60% to 70%

That confused me for a minute until I realized that was the time I got in and opened the windows to drive to the VA Hospital The steady rise was in a closed car as a warm humid airmass rolled over us.

The towel wrapped sensor was in the glove box and started out 10°F cooler until they matched at 10:00 AM.

After that the glove box heat climbed until I was done and turned on the AC at 1:00 PM. By then it was 111°F in the towel and 'only' 101°F under the seat.

I would conclude that no matter what, the glove box is going to be about 10°F hotter than under the floor!

Unless you are willing to put an insulated box with cooler packs on the floor, you are not going to do any better.

The Trunk (only if separate from the passenger area) is something I still want to test but I doubt it will be any better and likely worse.

We mentioned the screens in the windshields, front and back, and cracking the windows would really help... I understand not wanting to crack the windows but I would investigate those rain guards which will keep rain out and still let the heat out...

Cold hard fact with theft! If someone steals your gun from your locked car, you did all you needed to do, so you can sleep well that night!
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seconded! I hate the leave the gun in the car bit. Not even Kit (from night rider for you youngens) could shoot a gun. Thus there's no need to leave one in the car waiting for thieves.

But hey... your gonna do what you want anyways. Just hope its never stolen.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Got my other numbers but too busy to post...

Nice day, humidly went up to dripping and I parked in a lot with NO shade.

The Relative Humidity logger was under the seat overnight and was slowly rising from 8 PM till 9:00 AM from 60% to 70%

That confused me for a minute until I realized that was the time I got in and opened the windows to drive to the VA Hospital The steady rise was in a closed car as a warm humid airmass rolled over us.

The towel wrapped sensor was in the glove box and started out 10°F cooler until they matched at 10:00 AM.

After that the glove box heat climbed until I was done and turned on the AC at 1:00 PM. By then it was 111°F in the towel and 'only' 101°F under the seat.

I would conclude that no matter what, the glove box is going to be about 10°F hotter than under the floor!

Unless you are willing to put an insulated box with cooler packs on the floor, you are not going to do any better.

The Trunk (only if separate from the passenger area) is something I still want to test but I doubt it will be any better and likely worse.

We mentioned the screens in the windshields, front and back, and cracking the windows would really help... I understand not wanting to crack the windows but I would investigate those rain guards which will keep rain out and still let the heat out...

Cold hard fact with theft! If someone steals your gun from your locked car, you did all you needed to do, so you can sleep well that night!
View Quote

Great information, thank you. I will pass that along. Thanks again for testing that, very interesting results.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Seconded! I hate the leave the gun in the car bit. Not even Kit (from night rider for you youngens) could shoot a gun. Thus there's no need to leave one in the car waiting for thieves.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said before, she works as a civilian in the Houston Police Department building which is in the middle of downtown Houston. She cannot carry her firearm while at work (nor does she need to, see above). On the way to and from work, she carries a firearm for self-protection.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Like I said before, she works as a civilian in the Houston Police Department building which is in the middle of downtown Houston. She cannot carry her firearm while at work (nor does she need to, see above). On the way to and from work, she carries a firearm for self-protection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't waste your time trying to appease ones like this. They don't understand life and likely never will
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top