Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2015 8:42:27 PM EDT
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Pages/permit-to-carry-reciprocity.aspx

And there's a big one. Many who travel to there probably had a Utah permit, as it was the only generally available permit that was recognized in MN. Utah has now been delisted.

None of the "big three" for non-resident add-on licenses (FL, UT, AZ) are recognized there.

If your home state permit isn't recognized there, your only options for a non-resident permit are either an Idaho Enhanced, or a Minnesota itself. Either will require specific training and application in-person in their respective states.  ETA: Nevada will also issue to non-residents, but like ID-E and MN, requires application (and also training) in person in Nevada.

Out of State Permits Valid in Minnesota
Alaska  Louisiana  Oklahoma
Arkansas Michigan Rhode Island*
Delaware* Nevada South Carolina"
Idaho" (enhanced permit only) New Jersey* South Dakota* (enhanced permit only)
Illinois* New Mexico Tennessee
Kansas North Dakota* (enhanced permit only)
Kentucky Ohio

States with Laws NOT Similar to Minnesota (not valid in Minnesota)
Alabama Maine Oregon
Arizona Maryland Pennsylvania
California Massachusetts Texas
Colorado Mississippi Utah
Connecticut Missouri Vermont
Florida Montana Virginia
Georgia Nebraska Washington
Hawaii New Hampshire West Virginia
Indiana New York Wisconsin
Iowa North Carolina Wyoming
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
well, fuck MN then
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#2]
We are a nanny state. The training required looks good on the books but I've been to some training classes for renewal that are just "6+ hours of rant/I've done this in my lifetime."
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:36:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup, leviathan state.

A another note, did anyone else notice that people in MN have had their CCW yanked or denied because their local police reported NON-CRIMINAL contacts with the holder/applicant?

Can't wait to leave this state behind.

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow! Illinois on the list now.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 11:26:52 PM EDT
[#5]
God dammit.  The only reason I got a Utah was so I could quit taking MNs stupid class every 5 years.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:17:38 AM EDT
[#6]
MN has the same issue NY has too many anti gun idiots in major metropolitan areas.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:22:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Texas passed a law in 2014 to allow 19-year-old military personnel and veterans to obtain a permit. Minnesota law does not allow issuing permits to anyone under 21.

WTF. Because we allow a small percentage of under 21 vets to get a carry permit, they squash all TX CHL holders? Thanks for the info, as I visit every year and have been known to carry there.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Texas passed a law in 2014 to allow 19-year-old military personnel and veterans to obtain a permit. Minnesota law does not allow issuing permits to anyone under 21.

WTF. Because we allow a small percentage of under 21 vets to get a carry permit, they squash all TX CHL holders? Thanks for the info, as I visit every year and have been known to carry there.
View Quote

Virginia does the same and now Washington State (my former State and State where our kids live) doesn't my recognize VA permit.  Thanks, Seattle; I despise those idiots.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I guess I won't be going to MN then, along with Washington, Kalifornistan, Oregon, or any other state that doesn't honor my Texas CHL.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Meh. Minnesota is either bugs and humidity or ice fog and freezing rain. Besides, the people talk funny.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:15:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
well, fuck MN then
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:49:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I try to stay out of MN as much as possible, but WTF is an "enhanced" permit?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
WTF is an "enhanced" permit?
View Quote

Optional permit with more stringent requirements, additional training etc so as to meet the specifications of certain other states for recognition by those other states.

The "enhanced" permits were created just for recognition in such difficult states as Minnesota, Nevada and Washington. In some cases they get you additional privileges in the issuing state as well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:03:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Regular training and range time required in New Mexico.  Waste of time for experienced shooters.  OK for beginners depending on instructor.  One upside is that it provides some income for the instructors.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
FL did a similar law back in 2012.

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Home of the Obama bumper sticker and kipee hat.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#18]
<shrug> Don't reckon I got any reason to got there any way.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Besides, the people talk funny.
View Quote
Nope, we are the only ones who speak proper English

There is a reason national TV people talk like they are from MN: they come here for training
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the info OP.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

well, fuck MN then
View Quote
FPNI

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#22]
my OH permit is good there
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#23]
MN pulling Utah has everything to do with lost State and County issuing revenue.  I took a "class" in MN for their non-resident license.  What a joke.  It was nothing more than a rushed spin job to get a check.  Utah would have been my choice when I would be up for renewal since it was a better deal cost wise.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Funny how they recognize a New Jersey carry permit.  Only politicians have them and I can't see why a politician would be going t oMN
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Never been in MN and never gonna be.
View Quote

This is very good policy and it has nothing to do with weapons permits.  I have to go to MN once a year and hate it.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 2:44:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Never had a reason to go to MN before, now I definitely have a reason to never go.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 2:47:08 AM EDT
[#27]
MN is too cold for us AZ folk anyway....
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I haven't been to Minnesota in years and I won't be returning.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
well, fuck MN then
View Quote

Definitely this!
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
MN is too cold for us AZ folk anyway....
View Quote

Just sit tight. In winter they will come to you.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#31]
It would be awesome for some state to not recognize any other states drivers license who doesn't recognize their chl license.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

well, fuck MN then
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top