Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Tactical considerations aside (re-starting the fight in a hand-to-hand scenario, a counter-assault by his cohorts, etc.) it would probably look well in your favor to have made some sort of attempt to preserve that human life- however ineffective that attempt may be. An action like this would show a lack of panic and abundance of compassion on the part of the individual on the stand and more importantly show a lack of malicious intent on his or her part, even if the wounds are unsurvivable or if the person has in fact died. Even showing "moral support" by trying to talk to the casualty and encouraging him/her to "hang in there, help's coming" might do the trick- think witnesses, cameras, etc. I think the "I don't want to get sued"  argument is probably out the window after you've already fired bullets into a human. Once bullets get fired, it becomes a matter of evidence and how good your lawyer is at explaining your actions. But the FIRST (and only) priority is the safety of yourself and those you are responsible for. Just my opinion, YMMV. All that being said, train well and often.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I would be too much in shock to think of rendering aid. I would be on the phone with 911, hopefully not fainting, and trying to keep my wits about me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#3]
no.

YOU are number one (next follow your loved ones, teamates, etc)...leave. by getting closer to scumbag, you are re-endangering yourself. why do so?
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#4]
If I was justified in shooting him once ... he is gonna have waaaay too many holes to plug by the time he hits the deck.

Zero fucks will be given
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not going to try and save someone who just tried to kill me. I'm also not going to touch some scumbag that's bleeding out when I have no idea what type of disease they may have. Nope, nope, nopidy nope.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
no.

YOU are number one (next follow your loved ones, teamates, etc)...leave. by getting closer to scumbag, you are re-endangering yourself. why do so?
View Quote

This.

Close the distance on some fucker who I felt was such a danger to me I used DF?  Are you fucking people kidding me?

No... you don't have to help. Going "hands on" even to render medical aid is not even on the table.

As a cop... I've been #2 on scene in a OIS... medical attention is rendered WHEN AND ONLY WHEN the subject is completely under control... that means handcuffs.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuck no, and I'm a physician.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#8]
As a police officer I was involved in several critical incidents.

Our protocol was to secure the suspect, then render what aid we were trained in.

Now that I am retired I will secure the suspect's weapon and otherwise stay away.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#9]
This seems an easy decision for me personally.  I am not a paramedic, and I do not carry medical supplies or PPE on me more complicated than a bandaid.  The small bit of medical training I have had was all 20+ years ago..  I legitimately believe that I could do more harm than good if I attempted to render aid.  Another thing is the 911 operator is not going to want you to hang up the phone, so about the best I could expect to do is following the 911 dispatchers instructions...
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Apply direct pressure on the wound to stop the bleeding...

With my foot because one hand is still pointing the gun at him and the other is on the phone with a lawyer?
View Quote

I like the way you think.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Fuck no.
I worked EMS for 7 years, and I'm very confident in my abilities to render aid, but in that situation It would never cross my mind to help.

Not your bodily fluids? Don't touch it
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Dude just tried to kill me. I don't want to get closer and give him a second chance. I'm calling 911
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Two 158 grain Remington 158 grain SJHP .357 Magnum rounds two inches apart in his chest with his t-shirt blackened my muzzle flash. When he didn't blink, I knew there was nothing I could do, besides, I was trying not to bleed out myself from some knife wounds on my off hand. Two mounted officers were there before I could sweep for additional threats. The senior of the two, a sergeant, kept the lieutenant who showed up with a bad attitude away from me while the paramedics told me how lucky I was to still have a thumb. Plenty of witnesses to the attack, and I left with my gun back in my holster. Then my wife had to stop by the post hospital on the way back to our quarters for the medics to examine what the paramedics did. My section sergeant came by our quarters that evening to pick up the profile the Army docs gave me. Going to tank gunnery with my left hand in miles of gauze, cotton, and ace bandages was no fun.

Open carry state, 'bout a hundred years ago.

If there is no further threat, I'm not injured myself, and I have someone to cover me, I might consider first aid.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#14]
No way..........I'd be so freaked out I wouldn't want anywhere near him.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#15]
No.

-Increases chance that he goes for a secondary attack on you and hurts/kills you.
-Decreases your ability to see if any of his buddies are coming in for a second attack which can leave you hurt/killed.
-Increases the likely hood of a lawsuit/criminal charges. Whether he survives or dies this doesn't matter. Arguement can be made you weren't rendering aid and were trying to discretely finish him off... No doubt a bunch of his buddies will come forward as 'witnesses' later.
-Increases your chances of contracting a disease like Hep C or HIV.

Law enforcement may be 'required' to render aid to someone they shoot but that's AFTER they have multiple units on scene with the guy cuffed/secured. The weapon secured. And enough people there to keep the person rendering aid safe/watch his back. First officer on scene who fires the shots is trained to stand back and assess NOT render aid. In fact officer who fires his shots probably shouldn't be anywhere near the scene once that starts to go down. He should be brought to a unit out of sight of the public.

As a civilian there isn't a single advantage to rendering aid and there are only disadvantages... If you are morally uncomfortable with watching someone expire after you shot him its time to rethink priorities.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As a cop we always had to call EMS and do first aid on a survivor. As an ex-cop I'm not calling 911 until I'm sure he's not breathing anymore.
View Quote

yup
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Aww, come on, what are the chances that some random criminal has one of those diseases?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Body fluids are icky, and Cary nasty bugs... If I don't have gloves on I'm not touching squat...

This. I'm not getting AIDS or Hep from some mope I just shot. That and scene safety would probably keep me from rendering aid.

Aww, come on, what are the chances that some random criminal has one of those diseases?

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 6:41:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And that is your right..... and I neither think less or more of you for it.  You have to do what you feel comfortable doing and what is appropriate for the situation at hand.  I do not foresee myself running over to someone I just shot during a riot and rendering first aid.

Can you or do you feel comfortable sharing your story and some background about what happened.  What you feel you did right and what you think if you ended up in the situation again how you would act differently or the same?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They will sue you for not being a trained paramedic

In Texas you are shielded from being sued for rendering first aid it is called the good samaritan law.  Myself I would render first aid, I have seen enough death in my life I would rather the bastard stand trial for his actions than his death be on my hands.  That is only the case if I were to shoot someone in self defense and I only incapacitated them to where they were subdued and no longer a threat but not dead.  

Do what you want you live with your own actions not me.

Also this thread is a lot of big talk ..... Which of you have honestly ever shot another man, watched him bleed out in front of you and can honestly answer that question.....

I kept the front sight on his melon from a comfortable distance until the police arrived. He intended to kill my Pops, I owed him nothing.  I'm not a robot, yes I lost some sleep for a few nights, but had no guilt at all.

And that is your right..... and I neither think less or more of you for it.  You have to do what you feel comfortable doing and what is appropriate for the situation at hand.  I do not foresee myself running over to someone I just shot during a riot and rendering first aid.

Can you or do you feel comfortable sharing your story and some background about what happened.  What you feel you did right and what you think if you ended up in the situation again how you would act differently or the same?

First you say you would render aid and then you said you don't see yourself rendering aid. Which is it?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I would kick him in the gonads and face just because I would be really upset   I had to shoot him
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top