Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2015 9:56:29 PM EDT
Having read here and other forums multiple discussions on where to put your gun when driving I've settled on either in the console or in the outside pocket of my messenger bag.  A lot of talk about "the gun must be on your person" which has me confused.  Many women carry in their handbag and I very rarely see a woman with her handbag strap over her body when in a car.  Almost always on the seat next to her.  So what's the thought?  Does it matter?  I find access to a pistol IWB very difficult while sitting with a seatbelt on while the console or the messenger bag easier access.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:13:48 PM EDT
[#1]
When I purse carry, I put my seatbelt through purse strap. As was pointed out in a women's concealed carry book I have, you don't want your purse to go flying if there is an accident or someone causes an accident to hurt you deliberately. Remember the Miami FBI shoot out when one agent put his revolver on the seat next to him to save time, but it went flying when he crashed as part of the shoot out. He couldn't get at it quick enough when needed. When I don't purse carry, I carry appendix. Easy enough for me to get at. I've practiced.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I could tell you, but then... Well, you know...
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:35:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been carrying for over thirty years, I've never really considered drawing from my hip a problem.  The seatbelt buckle is beside your holster and in a pinch you can release the buckle first to aid you accessing your handgun.  Otherwise if it is really a concern, you can search for some vehicle holster mounting options out there.  Once you are seated in your car, you can place your weapon in the vehicle mounted holster and then before you exit your car, you can put the weapon back into your IWB rig.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:15:49 AM EDT
[#4]
If it's not on my hip in its holster (as it is 90 percent of the time), then it's in the door map pocket.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Having drawn my gun from the hip while seat belted many times I can tell you is not as difficult as you suggest. Depending on the circumstances I might have a second gun somewhere else nearby but my CCW stays in its holster on me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#6]
This varies widely by state.

Know the rules of the states you travel to.

In WI, having it on the seat (in plain sight) is considered "carrying concealed" and completely legal if you have a CCW.  Likewise, anywhere you care to tuck it.

Above the window line is "open carry" when in a vehicle.

As a practical matter, I have a little cable tethered safe that I use, and a holster under the steering column, or I just leave it in my pocket where I carry most of the time. I prefer to have it fixed to something so I can find it if I crash, or have to stop suddenly.

Where I live and hang out, having to draw it and defend myself from the window is highly unlikely so most of the time I don't use the holster on the steering column.

As far as the law goes, you can have it anywhere you want within reach.  Just be a little cautious about leaving passengers in the car, or thinking "in reach" is in the bag in the back seat.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#7]
My state says anywhere.

My desire to have it in a collision or attack says on my person.

My desire to not have it stolen says locked up in the minisafe secured to my seat if it can't be on my person.

Off body carry is just not a sensible option, IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:07:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm left handed so it kinda sucks for me. In my current truck, while I'm driving my pistol usually gets slipped into the gap between my seat and the middle seat. It's tight and holds it secure and only the grip is exposed. If needed, I'd have to retrieve it with my weak hand, but it would still be more accessible for me than trying to draw from a holster next to the door and under a seat belt.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Depending on how far I'm driving; it's either on my hip (short trips) or in a vehicle mounted holster in the center console (longer trips).  If I'm on a longer trip, I just re-holster from the console before I exit the vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm left handed so it kinda sucks for me. In my current truck, while I'm driving my pistol usually gets slipped into the gap between my seat and the middle seat. It's tight and holds it secure and only the grip is exposed. If needed, I'd have to retrieve it with my weak hand, but it would still be more accessible for me than trying to draw from a holster next to the door and under a seat belt.
View Quote

I'm left handed as well, I usually just keep mine holstered appendix or if I'm in my truck I keep a G19 in the storage compartment in the door. In CA any place in the car is ok if you have a CCW.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer to have a holster mounted to something inside the vehicle near the center that I can reach with either hand and will keep it secure in the event of an accident.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I have my carry gun on me and my truck gun stuck between the driver seat and center console covered with a rag.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I was going to post this yesterday, but figured it would turn into a shit storm.  My work requires me to interact with our deputies every day.  95% are great guys--they're very pro CCW and I appreciate what they do.....the other 5% are JBTs.

I got into an argument yesterday with one of the few JBTs about where we can keep a firearm in a car--I was talking to another deputy and mentioned that I was very happy that our vehicle carry law had been amended to be less restrictive.  JBT joined the conversation saying "I make people to put their guns in the glove box and lock it.  A center console is too easy to access on the sly because you can use your body to hide grabbing the gun."

I asked him where he gets the authority to do this and got a "When I make a stop, I'M the guy in charge" reply.

Here's the SC statute for firearms in a vehicle.  The part in red is what was added in Feb 2014:

Section 16-23-20(9)(a) of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 28 of 2007, is further amended to read:

"(a)    secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance. If the person has been issued a concealed weapon permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle's passenger compartment;

SC LEGIS 123 (2014), 2014 South Carolina Laws Act 123 (S.B. 308)

Do your research, and make absolutely sure you're in compliance with the law.  Every state has it's own laws, and not all LEOs are as well-versed as they should be.  Most (around here) won't give you any hassle at all, but there are always a few jackasses like the guy I talked to yesterday.  Nobody is going to change their minds at the side of the road--not even with a copy of the law in hand.  If you do run into one of these clowns, stay calm and be polite.  Better to clear the record in court with the exact wording of the statute--press charges or file complaints as necessary, but don't escalate the situation at the stop.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:37:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Appendix carry right side under loose t-shirts or dress shirts as  I never tuck them in.  The seat belt does not interfere.  Practiced drawing a lot but have not had to draw for intended use as of today.  I'm sure I will as society in general has taken a turn for the worse especially in South Florida,
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:22:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Appendix carry here at about 1 o'clock. I just tuck my shirt behind the gun and put the seatbelt strap behind it as well. Easy to draw from.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:43:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I leave it in my IWB holster, it's not that hard to draw from it.  I also have a steel lockbox cabled to the seat frame in case I need to go in someplace where I can't carry it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top