Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2015 5:23:53 PM EDT
I know carrying on government property, bars, and hospitals are punishable by law, but what about carrying in places that just post signs cuz they are anti gun, such as movie theaters, certain grocery stores, restaurants (not considered bars), and retail chain stores (Jo-Ann fabrics for example), and specifically indoor malls (since its mangers discretion whether or not to post signs).  Can they legally have you arrested and prosecuted, or can they real only just ask you to leave?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Read the law
It's same thing going anywhere where the sign is present
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#2]
It's really lame that a movie theater or fabric store can determine the law, and even if you had to use it and save people or yourself, you can and probably will be prosecuted. What a joke, we all know these stupid signs don't Deter any crime
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the app posted to check places before I go somewhere new
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Took about 2-3 minutes to find the state law in IL.

Signs have the force of law and are a "Class B misdemeanor" with a $150 fine for first offense.

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/AboutTheAct.aspx

Considering IL appears to require 16 hours (!) of instruction, one would think that they would have had time to cover this in your training.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I use posted as well........they did, but I hear from all different sources about what the "law" actually is, and I know it changes somewhat frequently.  I practice what I was taught (no guns allowed means I ain't carrying there)
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I just choose to spend my $ where I'm welcome
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:16:14 AM EDT
[#7]
All Wisconsin Applebee's are dead to me.

No big loss, a dry $10 hamburger is a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just choose to spend my $ where I'm welcome
View Quote

Yeah same here.  There's even a local gas station that posted the sign.  Unless it's a building that was written as forbidden in the law, I will not give a dime to a business that chooses to make people sitting ducks..........and yeah, way better places to get a burger than Applebee's (like McDonald's, lol)
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't know nothing about Illinois, but around here I carry everywhere there is not a metal detector.

None of those places are protecting me and mine...........fuck 'em.

"Concealed means concealed" are some of the truer words ever spoken.

Enough screwing around online, I'm going shooting.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Signs have the force of law and are a "Class B misdemeanor" with a $150 fine for first offense.

Considering IL appears to require 16 hours (!) of instruction, one would think that they would have had time to cover this in your training.
View Quote

This.

And also try over at illinoiscarry.com  for specific carry questions and perhaps additional instruction from the scores of qualified instructors over there.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't know nothing about Illinois, but around here I carry everywhere there is not a metal detector.

None of those places are protecting me and mine...........fuck 'em.

"Concealed means concealed" are some of the truer words ever spoken.

Enough screwing around online, I'm going shooting.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess if you carry in a posted area and some nut job comes to shoot the place up, id rather explain why I was carrying in a posted area rather than not be able to explain cuz I'm dead
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

You are correct. Sec.65 is covered in detail. At least it is supposed to be...
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I use posted as well........they did, but I hear from all different sources about what the "law" actually is, and I know it changes somewhat frequently.  I practice what I was taught (no guns allowed means I ain't carrying there)
View Quote
A- don't trust random "sources" for legal advice

B- since the initial passage of the law, there have only been TWO trailer bills that made changes. I don't know if that qualifies as "somewhat frequently" or not...

C- if you are on Facebook, feel free to like and follow my training company page,  - we always post up when any changes are made to the carry law and other related laws
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Now as for the sign, it HAS to be the sign with the beretta if I'm not mistaken. If there is a sign with a 1911 or revolver does that still count as it is not the "official" sign?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#16]
In class we were told that if it is not the sign with the beretta, it holds no weight.  I wouldn't want to risk it though
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

In class we were told that if it is not the sign with the beretta, it holds no weight.  I wouldn't want to risk it though
View Quote

Ok, so you were told wrong in your class...

The ISP Admin Rules pertaining to signs:

It clearly says "handgun in black ink" - it does not specify make/model...
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Very good to know.  Thanks for that info!
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Illinois or otherwise, I am of two minds about carrying where signs are posted. On the one hand, "concealed means concealed" and I can laugh quietly to myself about their stupid sign and the fact that I am taking the necessary steps to protect myself and my family. On the other hand, there is the "not going to give my $$$ to anyone who prohibits the 2nd Amendment" argument...
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been practicing the 2nd option you mentioned.  Really stupid that some places post this sign and I haven't given any of my $$ to ones that are not required to post it
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Illinois or otherwise, I am of two minds about carrying where signs are posted. On the one hand, "concealed means concealed" and I can laugh quietly to myself about their stupid sign and the fact that I am taking the necessary steps to protect myself and my family. On the other hand, there is the "not going to give my $$$ to anyone who prohibits the 2nd Amendment" argument...
View Quote

In Illinois, there is something like 23 categories of places that are required to post.

Other businesses can post if they choose.

So, I am 100% in agreement with spending my money at places that don't post, given the choice.

If I have to go to the hospital, its not like I am going to be like, "A no gun sign? Screw that, I'll go somewhere else...."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top