Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2015 8:16:20 PM EDT
My wife is contemplating getting a CWL, but is on the fence about if it is even feasible for her.

Does anyone here or anyone's wife carry while carrying a baby in a baby carrier (Ergo, Tula, ect.)? If so, how do they do it?

If they off body carry, like in the diaper bag, how do they secure the weapon from the child? Our 5 year old tends to go in her bag to get things.

Thank you for any input.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My wife is contemplating getting a CWL, but is on the fence about if it is even feasible for her.

Does anyone here or anyone's wife carry while carrying a baby in a baby carrier (Ergo, Tula, ect.)? If so, how do they do it?

If they off body carry, like in the diaper bag, how do they secure the weapon from the child? Our 5 year old tends to go in her bag to get things.

Thank you for any input.
View Quote

IMHO, off body carry is never ok.

If the baby carrier rides high, could she draw from a very low belly band?

Eta: by low, I mean well below the belt line, right in the center. It's a slower draw, but it's really out of the way for everything I've ever wanted to do. Never tried to wear a baby rig though, so it might be different.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Awhile back someone posted link about mom carrying  baby in Wally world, the baby reached in the moms purse  pulled trigger, mom dead
I forgot all the details
Just saying

Holster / trigger covered / on person / baby proof

I'm thinking thumb break
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#3]
She front carries the baby. I have carried the baby with a G17 IWB @ 6:00, but there was no way for a draw with any speed. I don't like off body, but if there is a secure way, I may consider out.

Saw the Wal-Mart story, considered a DA/SA and a thumb brake system. My 5 year old knows about the rules and sees me armed all the time. Doubt she would touch gun, but figured a 10lb first pull may help.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:58:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She front carries the baby. I have carried the baby with a G17 IWB @ 6:00, but there was no way for a draw with any speed. I don't like off body, but if there is a secure way, I may consider out.

Saw the Wal-Mart story, considered a DA/SA and a thumb brake system. My 5 year old knows about the rules and sees me armed all the time. Doubt she would touch gun, but figured a 10lb first pull may help.
View Quote

With all due respect to you and to this technical forum, that sounds totally crazy and dangerous to me. Like a dangerous kind of bargaining and disregard for basic safety. Always assume a child will disobey, and assume that they'll find a way to get that trigger pulled. It has to be secured. It just has to.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:27:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

With all due respect to you and to this technical forum, that sounds totally crazy and dangerous to me. Like a dangerous kind of bargaining and disregard for basic safety. Always assume a child will disobey, and assume that they'll find a way to get that trigger pulled. It has to be secured. It just has to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hence me asking for suggestions about this in the OP. Like I said, my wife is on the fence about getting a CWL for these reasons.

I want my wife to have the ability to protect herself and kids when I cannot, and I am looking for information from women who do. I was saying the heavy pull and thumb brake in addition to whatever methods may be suggested here.

My issue is that while it has to be secured, it should be accessible or its no more useful then a pistol left in the car.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:30:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Hence me asking for suggestions about this in the OP. Like I said, my wife is on the fence about getting a CWL for these reasons.

I want my wife to have the ability to protect herself and kids when I cannot, and I am looking for information from women who do. I was saying the heavy pull and thumb brake in addition to whatever methods may be suggested here.

My issue is that while it has to be secured, it should be accessible or its no more useful then a pistol left in the car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's no reason for her not to get her ccw, even if she doesn't use it. And how long will she have the baby strapped on anyway?

For me, safety comes from controlling access to the weapon and from correct handling. I would never rely on heavy trigger pulls or holster types to protect against an unintentional discharge. Any holster that covers the trigger guard is sufficient.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Their are whole communities online for women to discuss how they carry.  My buddies wife and my fiance frequent these places.  Asking guys how girls should carry is worst idea ever.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife has an OWB holster she wears with longer Tshirts.  She also has a corset that has a pocket for carrying a small auto, that works better for many outfits.

The OWB holster would work just fine with a baby carrier on, but it does limit clothing choices if you want to keep it concealed.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#9]
A front baby carry should not affect a draw from 3:00...
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I've worn an Ergo over my IWB at 3 o'clock and it was ok. Comfortable enough to wander around the Zoo for a couple hours, though the draw speed would have been significantly compromised. With a carrier like the Ergo there isn't much in the way of options.

Off body isn't ideal but I won't completely eliminate it. It's slower and has safety and security concerns but those can be mitigated. My wife sometimes carries a Glock 26 in a pocket of her purse but with a kydex trigger cover snapped on (I think it's a Dale Fricke). She is very careful about not leaving it laying around and attached to her. She hasn't been willing to carry on body yet. She doesn't end up carrying much anyways.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thank you for any input.
View Quote

My wife carrier her 9mm in the diaper bag.  We only have one kid...and it's a newborn.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#12]
All these recommendations also depend on what your wife wears on a daily basis.

If she is constantly wears jeans or long pants, ankle carry is a good option for being on her person, and out of reach of the children. It of course has its pitfalls.

Small of her back IWB is an option if she wears shirts long enough.

Pocket carry is also possible depending on the clothing she usually wears.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#13]
The problem with pocket carry is that the pockets of all the women's clothing I've come across have shallow pockets. So shallow I can't get my iPhone in.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#14]
OP, has your wife considered the Marilyn bra holster (pistol worn under the side bra strap, sort of positioned like a shoulder holster under armpit) and you reach down neckline to draw. It would depend on which side she carries the baby. These work best with a dinky auto such as an LCP.

Another option might be cross draw. Again, it depends on how she carries the baby and what she wears.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I realize that folks are much more paranoid today.  But, right up til the time my youngest told her she was too "old" to have a baby my wife used a diaper bag.  I doubt anyone would have ever thought about trying to steal it, especially if they know what can be in there.  Oh, the kid did survive, but gets the shakes every time he sees a diaper bag.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thank you for any input.
View Quote

I don't know anything about having kids, but I would say if she is going to even consider carrying with a kid, look at an XDS, small and compact, but integrates the 1911 style grip safety. No way your baby will grab it and shoot.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Interesting reading from someone who has BTDT: LINK
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 3:31:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Personally I'll never condone off body carry, unless say its take your gun out of your holster and stow it somewhere quicker to reach in your car. It was one of my distant relatives (moms cousins wife's niece) that was killed by her child in Walmart, and while I feel for her family, its an awful thing to say and I expect to be criticized for it, but I'd rather it be her than some stranger walking in the wrong place at the wrong time. If shes not paying enough attention to her bag that her child can get her weapon, whats to stop a thief from taking the bag. I just think its irresponsible. Anyhow, I've heard good things about those bra's, I think they're called Flash Bang's, (pull up your shirt, hence the flash, then well you can figure out the bang..) Probably wouldn't work well with the baby carry though. Perhaps a light hoodie.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#19]
For quite some time my wife just carried in a diaper bag.  But she also always carried a small purse.  If a purse snatch was to happen, which do you think would be grabbed.

Heck, I can't think of a single time I've heard of someone stealing a diaper bag.  While today's disposables don't carry the toxic waste of earlier generations, they just don't seem to have any appeal.

Now I said she carried in the diaper bag for some time.  It ended when my youngest told her she "looked to old to have a baby".  Now the kid did survive, but trembles at the sight of diaper bags, even after three tours in Iraq.

The point to remember here is "Don't mess with the mommy", even if you are the kid.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Off body carry with a 5 year old? NFW
Bra holster? Not unless you want to sweep your infant as you unholster.

IWB carry really seems like the only option. My wife doesnt use a carrier, but she does "wrap" (i have too as well). 3:00 is plenty accessible.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Never underestimate what somebody will steal. Scumbags around here would steal a half eaten hotdog if you left it unattended for more than 30 seconds.

There's no right answer for this op. I say iwb with a flat short pistol, around a Walter p380 or smaller. Literally every option given is subject to her body, preferred caliber, and taste. And the fact that she's a woman , every other opinion is wrong by default. Best advice, go to a large gunshop and try different weapons in different places, see what fits. Then buy something on the way out for the tire kick session
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Eta: by low, I mean well below the belt line, right in the center. It's a slower draw, but it's really out of the way for everything I've ever wanted to do. Never tried to wear a baby rig though, so it might be different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for any input.

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#23]
When wearing the baby carrier I always carried on my hip.  G19 or G26 OWB in a Raven Phantom.  I'm a dude, but I don't see what difference it would make for a lady.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top