Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2015 11:53:39 AM EDT
Having a dumb argument with my buddy about what gun is safest to carry.  I told him all new guns are safe if he is safe and uses a quality holster.  His argument is he is paranoid about a catastrophic failure and the gun going off all on its own.  I carry a sig p938 cocked and locked. He claims he wouldn't carry it because "what if the hammer dropped and the firing pin block failed"    I told him it's such a slim chance if even possible at all that I'm not worried about a catastrophic failure like that. But he is so I said with his way of thinking he should get a glock because the striker isn't fully cocked. Or a revolver.  The only other gun I could recommend to him was my hk p30s. I carry it cocked and locked but told him he could carry it hammer de cocked with safety on and that is about as safe as it's gets.
  Any other guns you could recommend? Or anything I can say to ease his mind?
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#1]
If he's THAT paranoid and obtuse, he might not be the kind of person suitable to carry a firearm, period.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Your buddy will feel safer with any true DAO hammer fired. Revolvers or any of the following as DAO: Sig, H&K, beretta, Old smith number guns to IIRC. DA/SA would work too but will likely make him feel uncomfortable with the SA portion and the decocker.

I did get a used Sig for free from someone that did some serious redneck engineering to. The decocker would fire the gun, the gun was a paperweight and I turned it in at a gun buyback for $50 along with a bunch of other non-working guns and Saturday night specials I had experimented on. There really is no way for what your buddy is talking about to happen.  I suppose a major traumatic impact that would destroy the gun, and by extension kill you too, could possibly cause a failure like that...but you wouldn't be alive to worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The one you don't pull the trigger by accident  
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#4]
revolver
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Kahr might also be an option.

I had the same reservations about my M&P because I carry appendix. I can't afford to have a round cook off in that position. Plus, my sweat is super corrosive so I need a mag release that I wouldn't rust shut.

Back to Glock it was.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 1:19:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Beretta 92 with safety left on.

Kinda hides the firing pin
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 6:44:18 AM EDT
[#7]
To be fair, I wouldn't carry a cocked-and-longed gun in my pocket either. It's not an irrational fear, it's just a preference. I like the extra safety of a longer trigger pull.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Definitely one that is concerned about all that can start with a revolver or like someone said a DAO pistol.  I would think even DA/SA would make him comfortable.  Like someone said the M9 is safe with the hammer down AND you can engage the safety.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#9]
One of my co-workers has the same issues.  He does not carry yet but says he will not carry with a round in the pipe because he says what if it went off.  Only thing I could say is we can agree to disagree and that guns do not go off unless your finger or something presses the bang switch and if you are concerned it might go off in your holster it is time for another holster.

You cannot reason with people who base decisions on fears of what if.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#10]
HK P7.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of my co-workers has the same issues.  He does not carry yet but says he will not carry with a round in the pipe because he says what if it went off.  Only thing I could say is we can agree to disagree and that guns do not go off unless your finger or something presses the bang switch and if you are concerned it might go off in your holster it is time for another holster.

View Quote

Don't the Israeli's still carry without one in the pipe?

Retarded IMO but each to their own.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 2:40:12 AM EDT
[#13]
That stuff goes away after he's carried for a while. Some people still live with the impression that firearms work like magic.

I had a scare with a POS kimber that was cocked and knocked off a counter. The safety lever came out of the gun, with a round still chambered, and the slide locked up.  Ear and eye pro went on, and I don't remember what I had to do to clear it, but the next day I traded that away in a hurry.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No. They used to do that when all they had were older, less safe (not drop-safe) guns with potentially worn safeties. They have had access to modern handguns for a while now.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may have a private discussion with him on it but yeah to each his own.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Things I have done with a chambered G22 or G27 on my right hip IWB....
Bowled
Shot hoops
Ran
Biked
Climbed ladders
Minor work on a car(under & interior)
Game of kickball
Gym workout
And I could go on....

Still here
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Glock has 3 safeties, but if he's worried about NDs, probably more NDs with something getting caught in the trigger guards vs dropped hammers.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#18]
My HK P2000SK has a LEM trigger so it's DAO. No safety to click off,  consistent light pull,  bobbed hammer that won't catch on anything,  firing pin blocked and in a good holster.  I bet he'd like a setup like this.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#19]
How would it have turned out for G.Zimmerman if he had to take the time to off the safety and or rack one in with maybe one hand.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How would it have turned out for G.Zimmerman if he had to take the time to off the safety and or rack one in with maybe one hand.
View Quote

Z is a complete moron...he got LUCKY!!!  He should not be looked at as what to do cause he did a lot WRONG.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:27:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Z is a complete moron...he got LUCKY!!!  He should not be looked at as what to do cause he did a lot WRONG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The argument is sound, though. People who don't carry with one in the chamber are betting their life on a very tenuous assumption: that they will have the opportunity and the use of both hands to make the pistol ready for defense.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:44:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Possibly suggest he get a glock and carry without a round in the chamber Israeli style and train that way, then when he comes around and stops being a paranoid baby he will have a gun that will be best suited for the job and can just carry with a round in the chamber like the 87% rest of us on arfcom.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:11:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Possibly suggest he get a glock and carry without a round in the chamber Israeli style and train that way, then when he comes around and stops being a paranoid baby he will have a gun that will be best suited for the job and can just carry with a round in the chamber like the 87% rest of us on arfcom.
View Quote

Or suggest that he stop thinking irrationally (might be an uphill battle) and carry a handgun as intended- loaded and on safe (or with a suitably heavy DA trigger, as in a revolver).

If he insists on carrying with an empty chamber, perhaps some timed draw-rack-shoot drills would show the folly of the notion. You could even up the effect and do some mock force-on-force drills (weapon unloaded, of course, or a trainer could be used) and really drive the point home.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

*shrug*  If we didn't have fears of what if, none of us would bother to carry...
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#25]
S&W 3rd generation semi-auto, with safety.  He can carry it safety on, so it won't fire, it has a magazine disconnect, so it won't shoot without a magazine, and the safety blocks access to the firing pin while it is on.

The only thing "Safer" than that is carrying a gun without a loaded chamber and racking the slide when you draw it.  

Note:  I'm not advocating the second option, but if he's THAT paranoid about the gun "going off" by itself, these are his two best choices.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
S&W 3rd generation semi-auto, with safety.  He can carry it safety on, so it won't fire, it has a magazine disconnect, so it won't shoot without a magazine, and the safety blocks access to the firing pin while it is on.

The only thing "Safer" than that is carrying a gun without a loaded chamber and racking the slide when you draw it.  

Note:  I'm not advocating the second option, but if he's THAT paranoid about the gun "going off" by itself, these are his two best choices.
View Quote

I consider magazine disconnects to be a liability.

There is no substitute for training. Take him to the range and show him how to do it right. Instill confidence through good practice.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the replies! He's actually not a new shooter. Just doesn't trust that one won't just go off lol. He is leaning towards a dao gun currently. I'm trying to sell him on the glock because the striker isn't fully cocked like it is on xd's and mnp's.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Mexican-carried a G27 for years working plainclothes assignment. Over fences, underneath cars, "wrastlin',"etc. and never had it fall out or ND although I've lost mags that fell out of mag pouches. I now carry an XD which provides an extra measure of safety but with a good holster.  My BIL tells me the same story about not feeling comfy with round in the chamber so I encouraged him to carry his FNX instead of his Glock.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Pull bullet and powder, have him carry a primed case.  See how long before he figures it out.  Make him a bet.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 5:39:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#31]
You're right, he's wrong.

Some people prefer to wallow in ignorance.

I had an Instagram argument with some retard who insisted that the only safe firearm for carry is a DA revolver.  He said Glocks were particularly inherently unsafe because the striker was under load at all times.

Idiot.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm trying to sell him on the glock because the striker isn't fully cocked like it is on xd's and mnp's.
View Quote

Walther PPS is also a partial precock striker like the Glocks. It actually has a neat safety feature for holstering as the end of the striker is exposed at the back of the slide, and similar to a DA pistol, you can put your thumb over the striker during holstering and prevent it from firing if something would be in the trigger guard or whatever.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Walther PPS is also a partial precock striker like the Glocks. It actually has a neat safety feature for holstering as the end of the striker is exposed at the back of the slide, and similar to a DA pistol, you can put your thumb over the striker during holstering and prevent it from firing if something would be in the trigger guard or whatever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm trying to sell him on the glock because the striker isn't fully cocked like it is on xd's and mnp's.

I didn't know that thanks I'll have to tell him to check them out too!
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:47:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Things I have done with a chambered G22 or G27 on my right hip IWB....
Bowled
Shot hoops
Ran
Biked
Climbed ladders
Minor work on a car(under & interior)
Game of kickball
Gym workout
And I could go on....

Still here
View Quote

Just went bowling last night with a m&p9c in a kybrid holster...no one died.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#35]
People have only been carrying "cocked and locked" for 100 years now If you consider the billions of times people have carried like with no incidence compared to the very small number of accidents the probability of a failure is spectacularly low (even if you include issues from dbags not knowing proper gun safety). Your friend is operating under the precautionary principle where if there is even the slightest chance something could be negative the event should be avoided. People tend to focus on rare events like airplane crashes and not focus on things like car accidents, lightning strikes or drowning in a bucket that account for considerably more injuries/deaths. The incidence of armed robbery, assault, homicide and the number of times people used handguns in self defense is considerably more than incidences of failure even from stupid user error is was less. So, with respect to minimizing harm when you average out number of incidences of harm caused by the user or gun carrying concealed regardless of type versus number of incidences of bodily harm from crime I would suggest even if you could quantify concealed carry freak accidents, that number would still not be great enough to dissuade a logical person from not carrying if the end goal was to minimize the probability of bodily harm.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if the movement of the striker is actually enough for your thumb to actually block it if the trigger was being pulled.  Seems like it wouldn't work.  Just the fleshy part of your thumb as some give to it.  That's a whole lot different than a DA hammered gun that has to travel pretty far.   I guess if you felt it moving, on the PPS, it would be an indication to stop what you're doing.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I wonder if the movement of the striker is actually enough for your thumb to actually block it if the trigger was being pulled.  Seems like it wouldn't work.  Just the fleshy part of your thumb as some give to it.  That's a whole lot different than a DA hammered gun that has to travel pretty far.   I guess if you felt it moving, on the PPS, it would be an indication to stop what you're doing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your hypothesis fails if you actually try it on a PPS. It's essentially impossible to make it fire with your thumb over the striker. I couldn't do it by pulling the trigger, or pushing into a holster with finger in the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Aaah, OK.  Yeah I've never handled one.  I guess the engineers knew what they were doing.    Hey, you never know, sometimes they don't.....  Not saying HK specifically  but just sometimes things don't always translate in real life as to what the theory behind it is.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Hands down the best gun for this thread is the HK P7M8 or M13. Because of the design, you have a round in the chamber, but, the striker pin is Not cocked until you draw the weapon and squeeze the grip. To the uninitiated this sounds bizarre or complex. Back in 1988 I used to think the same thing. Until I actually, physically held on and squeezed the grip. It is a very natural action to use and very simple to learn. It's the safest handgun I own. Unlike the Glock, if you accidentally catch the trigger on something when holstering it (yes, I know it seems impossible, but I have read about this happening), the HK pistol cannot fire because the striker pin is not cocked. Tell all this to your scared friend.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Hands down the best gun for this thread is the HK P7M8 or M13. Because of the design, you have a round in the chamber, but, the striker pin is Not cocked until you draw the weapon and squeeze the grip. To the uninitiated this sounds bizarre or complex. Back in 1988 I used to think the same thing. Until I actually, physically held on and squeezed the grip. It is a very natural action to use and very simple to learn. It's the safest handgun I own. Unlike the Glock, if you accidentally catch the trigger on something when holstering it (yes, I know it seems impossible, but I have read about this happening), the HK pistol cannot fire because the striker pin is not cocked. Tell all this to your scared friend.
View Quote
I was surprised how well the P7M8 shoots too.

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#41]
cowboy carry a da revolver.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Glock-empty pipe-battlehook sight if he can't cope with idea of cocked and safety on with another style of gun. My CHL instructor was not a fan of safeties, or the term safety. He carries a Glock with one in the pipe. I choose an empty pipe while carrying.
I would hope that cops carry with one in the pipe ready to go.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Glock-empty pipe-battlehook sight if he can't cope with idea of cocked and safety on with another style of gun. My CHL instructor was not a fan of safeties, or the term safety. He carries a Glock with one in the pipe. I choose an empty pipe while carrying.

I would hope that cops carry with one in the pipe ready to go.
View Quote

"chamber" is the word you are looking for
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Have him get a SAA and carry five rounds with the hammer down on the empty chamber.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
HK P7.
View Quote

We have a winner!  Not cocked until it is out of your holster and in your hand, yet has a sweet trigger once cocked with the squeeze of the grip.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If he's THAT paranoid and obtuse, he might not be the kind of person suitable to carry a firearm, period.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Just tell your buddy he is completely right and not to carry a gun at all because everyone knows that's the safest course of action.

Like others have said, we can't "what if" everything but we can train. Tell him to train with what he's comfortable with and you do the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top