Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2015 10:10:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at a SIG P250 or P320.

There are three grip sizes and even for a double stack magazine the small grip is exceptionally small.  My wife has very small hands and the small grip frame with the short reach trigger added, fits her hands quite well.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#2]
What manner of carry does she utilize?
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife has tiny hands and can handle my J frame S&W easily.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:53:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hadn't considered a revolver.  That would solve any mag release issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.

The cylinder release requires strong thumb pressure to press it forward to release the cylinder. Compared to a mag release, that just require a push that with training, is easily accomplished despite arthritis.

My grandma finds putting her thumb on the mag release, then quick slapping her weak hand palm on it easier than working a revolver release. About the same amount of movement to reload as well.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:16:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Look at a SIG P250 or P320.

There are three grip sizes and even for a double stack magazine the small grip is exceptionally small.  My wife has very small hands and the small grip frame with the short reach trigger added, fits her hands quite well.
View Quote

Yep, this.  A P250 or P320 with the small grip module should be just the ticket.  You'll probably have to order it though - most LGSs don't stock every size.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:07:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:56:44 AM EDT
[#10]
If the S&W revolvers are hard to open for her, have her try a Colt revolver. I have a couple of j-frames and a Colt DS and the DS might be a little easier to open, maybe because you're pulling back on the latch instead of pushing forward?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:35:46 AM EDT
[#11]
My mother in law who is 74 and has horrible arthritis just received an LC9 for her birthday about a month ago from myself and the Mrs as well at a 100rd box of WWB and some 147gr bonded Rangers. Apparently the other week when the Mrs. went down and did some shooting with her (with her LC9s pro) her mom quartered off the target at 10 yards , now her mom is constantly shooting up my 9mm supplies (she schools up the brass for me to reload ) and goes on and on about how easy it is to shoot.

If you go with the Ruger, SHOOT IT BEFORE YOU GIVE IT TO HER, both of the ones we have bought needed something to get them 100%.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:26:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

9mm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What manner of carry does she utilize?

9mm

Let's try this again.

In what manner does she carry the weapon about her person?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Model 10 snub nose or a model 60.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#15]
In that case, S&W model 442 (hammerless) with standard velocity semi-wadcutter load.

Forget about semi-auto guns for people with hand strength issues.

Limit range trips to 25 rounds or less.

Make her train by drawing from the purse.
Manage any muzzle/trigger discipline issues.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#16]
LC9s with 147gr bullets will be good. The heavier rounds seem to push rather than kick, and are easier on the wrist in my experience.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In that case, S&W model 442 (hammerless) with standard velocity semi-wadcutter load...
View Quote

That would be my recommendation as well. Possibly experiment with ammo selection a little, trying a few loads in different bullet weights to see if any just 'feel' better to her. But nothing imo wrong with a good old LSWC for someone whose options are limited due to physical issues.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 2:29:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top