Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2015 3:51:48 AM EDT
I might have the possibility of getting one of these in the near future. Looking for something smaller 3" -3.5" easy to carry, probably single stack. Looking at XDS, M& P 9 Shield, Ruger LC9 any others? My most important things are reliability and trigger. Open to suggestions but I'm not keen on Taurus and not the Glock 43.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:01:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Go with the Shield.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:04:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Why? From what I read the trigger is horrendous. ETA: If possible I'd like to get good reasons why to purchase said gun. I have fired a full sized m&p 40 and I liked how it fit in my hand and was leaning towards the shield but the trigger issue would hold me back.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:08:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Why do you not mention the one line of pistols designed from the ground up to be CCW'ed. I am speaking about the Kahr line of pistols. They have worked flawlessly for me for the last 15+ years. Yeah I know some people have had problems with theirs, but I challenge you to show/name me a pistol that hasn't had a few clunkers make it out to the public.

Kahrs are accurate, reliable, very reasonably priced, and very comfortable to carry in re size and weight. Multiple frame sizes to fit everyone You do yourself a disservice to buy anything without at least trying one out. jmtcw.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#4]
You have to try them out, at least to hold, operate and dry fire (shooting is better!)

I had an LC9 then later added a SIG P938

After a time with the SIG I sold the Ruger...

They are close to the same size, both have thumb safety and lock open on the last round. They were close in accuracy, SIG being a bit better probably due to its' trigger. I tested with 8 different defense loads and found each had ONE that it preferred for the best velocity and accuracy.

Those are the items that are important to me but not to everyone else.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go with the Shield.
View Quote

This.  All day long.
And twice on Sundays.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You have to try them out, at least to hold, operate and dry fire (shooting is better!)

I had an LC9 then later added a SIG P938

After a time with the SIG I sold the Ruger...

They are close to the same size, both have thumb safety and lock open on the last round. They were close in accuracy, SIG being a bit better probably due to its' trigger. I tested with 8 different defense loads and found each had ONE that it preferred for the best velocity and accuracy.

Those are the items that are important to me but not to everyone else.
View Quote

This was my plan I was going to see what the most popular option was and see if the rental program at my had any of my ideas there.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#7]
glock 26 is a good option if you can swing the extra width...with the benefit of 10+1.  Once you get outside the pocket sized guns, options open up quite a bit.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Kahr P9 or PM9

Sig P938

Glock 26.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Sig 938 has been on my list for a while. I had a shield and it was nice enough but it jammed a lot. Not saying thats indicative of all shields. I have found the super small 9's in general are kind of jam prone, I'm guessing due to their stiff short recoil springs.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:35:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Kahr CM9 is reliable and accurate, very small for a 9mm.  The only thing I don't like about it is the trigger pull is much different than a short-reset like a Glock, Walther, HK, etc.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Wife carries a Sig 938.  I carry a Shield.  I would carry a 938 except manipulating the safety with my big ass hands is a challenge.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Walther PPS.  It's what the Shield would be if it was German, had a better trigger, and was a better gun.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Go with what you like, all are good guns. I personally really like my XDS 9mm, it has never failed me after thousands of rounds. I did replace the trigger springs and sear, cost was about 60 bucks, and I am very happy with the trigger now.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Easy choice. LC9S. If you want something bigger a G26.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Walther PPS

Also, don't rule out the Sig P290RS.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Walther PPS

Also, don't rule out the Sig P290RS.
View Quote

I have the Walther PPS and I am very happy with it.  That said OP you have to shoot and find what you like.  What works for me may not for you.  My FIL has an LC9 and I had one he likes it but I could not hold it tight enough to shoot it without it slipping up in my hands.  So again what works for me may not for you.  The Shield is a good option if you like it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a 9mm Shield and have shot an XDs in .45. Not really the same as 9mm but the 9mm and .45 XDs are exactly the same size so I got a feel for the ergos.

I liked the Shield better. Better trigger and felt better in my hand. The trigger on my Shield is almost exactly like my Glocks except a little heavier. Mine even has a good, audible and tactile reset that is in just about the same place as my Glocks. I usually carry Glocks, in case you didn't guess, and the transition to the Shield was super easy. I don't have a boatload of ammo through my Shield (approx 1000 rds over a year) but it has been accurate and reliable with no function problems at all.

The only problem I have had with my Shield has been with the magazine release rusting and getting really hard to press. Not exactly the gun's fault. I sweated on it like a pig last summer and figured the magazine release was nitrided like the slide and barrel, so I thought it would wait a couple days before cleaning it. A couple days later, the magazine release was REALLY hard to press and didn't want to drop a mag, so I stripped it and, sure enough, rust. Cleaned it off and coated it with a heavy coat of BreakFree and no more problems. I just make sure to remove the mag release a couple times a year and recoat it, or whenever I really sweat on it.

The Shield is a great gun. Try one and see.

Bub75
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Why is everybody so concerned about the trigger on a 3.5" barrel length gun?  It's not for bullseye shooting
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Walther PPS.  It's what the Shield would be if it was German, had a better trigger, and was a better gun.
View Quote

Bersa BP9cc, same size as the Shield + extended mag, better trigger with short reset for fast follow ups.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:22:09 PM EDT
[#20]
So I just got back from the local gun shop, got to fondle the Shield, Kahr CM9 (I think it was), and the LC9s Pro. I really like the Shield has a good trigger feels good in my hands too good sights, the Kahr was good had a long pull but crisp, the LC9s Pro felt good in my hand and had a pretty good trigger and sights. I'm thinking about the Shield or LC9s. Unfortunately they didn't have any XD-s or any Walthers. The Sig 938 is pretty much out of my price range I'll have somewhere near $400
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Since you won't get a Glock 43, the Shield is the only other choice of those listed worth considering.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:21:17 AM EDT
[#22]
My only experience so far, with CZ handguns, are the larger double stack P07/P09 guns and they have been flawless for me up to this point.  Good triggers in single action (the way I carry) and reliable and very accurate.

If I were looking for a small 9MM I'd have to go look at a CZ Rami based on my CZ pistol experience so far.  They come with 2 magazines.  First is small for carry, back up is extended (once you've pulled it out and used it you aren't worried about concealing it anymore if you've fired enough rounds to need a reload.)
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:55:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I like the Ruger. Handled the Shield, got the LC9. Now that the LC9s Pro is out that'd be a clear winner for me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I might have the possibility of getting one of these in the near future. Looking for something smaller 3" -3.5" easy to carry, probably single stack. Looking at XDS, M& P 9 Shield, Ruger LC9 any others? My most important things are reliability and trigger. Open to suggestions but I'm not keen on Taurus and not the Glock 43.
View Quote

If anyone wants the Excel spreadsheet, email me and I will send it to you.

ETA  I picked up a Sig P290RS last year for when I don't want to carry the Glock 19.  A Seecamp 380 is somewhat tempting, but not really needed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

ETA  I picked up a Sig P290RS last year for when I don't want to carry the Glock 19.  A Seecamp 380 is somewhat tempting, but not really needed.
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=76652
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI the XDS has 7,8, or 9 round mags available for it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Kahr is my vote, and what I carry.

wow, I own page 2 of a non-controversial thread... Go ME!

Seriously though, buy a Kahr.  I own 6 of them now and even have one that I bring to USPSA competition occasionally.  Be sure you pay attention to the lube points and for the love of god, actually perform the 200 round break in procedure, and you will be good to go.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:28:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I have owned all the guns you mentioned, have sold them all, not because they where bad gun I just prefer double stack guns, I find the concealment difference is very small for me, that being said I really like the Karh PM/CM9, or the XDS9. I like the shield but I hate M&P triggers.  All that said they are all good guns, it's just personal preference.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#28]
I have been pocket/deep IWB carrying a Kahr CM9 for years. It fills the void that the double stack guns leave.
My thought was that if I was going to buy a single stack, "small" 9mm it was going to be just that, not an inbetween size like a shield which might as well be the same size as a Glock 19 minus some width.

I did recently pick up a Glock 43, and have a comparison photo here:

You'll notice it's a bit longer framed/barreled, but otherwise height and width are basically the same. I will point out that if you look closely at the top photo you'll notice that the Glock allows for a higher purchase on the gun, effectively making the grip area bigger (taller) than the Kahr (it also helps reduce felt recoil).

I loved it the moment I put it in my hand.
Being a skeptic I said "Well, it's great but it probably won't ever take the place of my Kahr."
Well, I've been rocking it for about a week and have found that it's the same on my hip, and much to my surprise drops right into the DaSantis pocket holster for my Kahr and drops right in my pocket just as easily as the CM9 did.

Beyond that, it has the typical reliable and predictable Glock trigger (which I consider a plus).

I like my Kahr CM9 very much. It carry's well, and I shoot it very well. I think I may have just purchased it's replacement though...
Your Results May Vary
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I am thinking about making that switch too.  I believe the loaded G43 is a few ounces heavier though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Shield.  I really like mine.  I shoot it just about as well as my G19.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I went from a G26 to a shield 9mm, I just hated that little extra width. I'd say go with a shield.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I wouldn't be so quick to rule out the 43. It is a FANTASTIC pistol.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I have carried my shield for 2+ years almost every day and have put a ton of rounds through it. My shield has never had any malfunctions it will go bang every single time, its way easier to conceal than my double stacks, and its a pleasure to shoot even with defense loads. With that said all the options in the original post will do the same exact thing, no wrong answer here. If I was buying a single stack 9 right now FOR MYSELF it would be the shield or the glock 43. If you have the option in your area go to the local gun store and get your hands on as many of these little 9mms as you can, that may tell you more about whats best for YOU than we can.

I know that didn't help much, but I think its true.

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I find my CZ 75 PCR Compact to be comfortably small and light enough for IWB carry daily and comfortably large enough to shoot without any compromise as to grip size, recoil control, or good sights.  It has never failed to function in any way.  The DA trigger could be better but can easily be made much better if you care to do so.  The SA trigger is just how I like it for a carry gun but it can be made race gun light if you wish.  Carries 14 rounds.

I think it is a decent looking pistol too.

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well said. My vote is for the PPS too.  Dependable and accurate, easy to carry and can be customized with different backstraps and magazine lengths.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 2:55:37 AM EDT
[#36]
PPS is great, but cheapest I've seen it is around $460-$480--and that's kinda rare around here.  Most are going to be ~$500 I think.  

I'd go with the Shield for VALUE (if you don't mind the LONG distance from front to back of the grip).  
Shields are only $350--which leaves some money for an Apex kit (I thought the kit and trigger really helped).
The CW9 (P9 is too pricey for you) is great if you don't mind a super looooong trigger pull and reset (and you'll need a good mag carrier if you carry a spare mag since they like to throw rounds out).

That said, the G43 is my favorite having owned every gun mentioned here and a few others (except the LC9S--which I've shot a few times--and I've never owned or shot the XDS--not a fan of grip safeties and their ergos).  With a GHOST connector (the EDGE is good, the PRO is even better) and a few other mods, it's my favorite carry gun ever (for times the G19 is too big).  

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fixed
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Love my Kahr PM9.  It truly is a pocket gun, fits great in my khakis in a DeSantis Nemesis.

G&A just did a 10-gun comparison of 9mm microcompacts.  It's worth a read.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top