Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2015 3:07:43 PM EDT
Can anyone make some good ankle holster suggestions?
I'm currently using IWB and just can't get it to be comfortable up there.

Firearm:  Springfield XDS 3.3" 9mm
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#1]
The Alessi ankle holster is awesome, but expensive. For a comfortable and good quality, albeit less expensive option, the Galco Ankle Glove is a great choice.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a big sized gun to carry on your ankle. What IWB holster are you using? If stuck on ankle carry Alessi, Galco, Desantis and Fobus is nice and light.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Galco Ankle Glove
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 1:08:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Galco Ankle Glove
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 6:03:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Ankle glove

However, in my limited experience, weight really matters in an ankle holster.

Each time you take a step, a heavier gun will jiggle back and forth.

I have a cm9 that works great, but my glock 26 is too heavy even with an ankle glove, which seems to be about the best ankle holster out there.

Also you want a calf strap, in my opinion.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for the Galco Ankle Glove. I carried a S&W 442 in one on duty for years, never have a problem. I didn't have the calf strap, but the gun was also an airweight.... so, that probably helped.

If I could still carry a backup on duty, it would be in the ankle glove.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Desantis die hard
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Desantis die hard
View Quote

Interesting.

It looks the same as the Galco, but cheaper, might be a good option.

Anyone with experience with both who could comment on differences?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I've worn the same Uncle Mikes ankle holster for my J frame Smith for the last 10 years.  Initially, I always wore the calf strap but for the last 5 years or so I've gone without it with no problems.  My Smith is very light weight and there is zero movement of the holster and it is extremely comfortable.  Highly recommend this holster.  Plus it's pretty inexpensive.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:03:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Alessi ankle holster is awesome, but expensive. For a comfortable and good quality, albeit less expensive option, the Galco Ankle Glove is a great choice.
View Quote

these... Both are somewhat spendy, both are worth the expense.

I bought a Desantis thingy first and used it for a few days.   It sucks.

Buy good gear and only pay once.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Galco Ankle Glove

This.

Another +1 for the Ankle Glove

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been using Galco Ankle Glove holsters from the mid 90's...no complaints
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 2:22:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been EDCing my BUG in an ankle holster for about 15 years. In my experience, I've found that the bigger, bulkier and heavier the holsters are the least comfortable. The hard molded models like the Alessi and Galco Ankle Glove are too heavy and too stiff to be comfortable or stable for all day wear.

I like the lighter weight, elastic based holsters with padded backs. The most comfortable and secure ever was the Renegade Cozy Partner which is sadly no longer in production. The next best thing I've found is the DeSantis Apache. It's very similar to the Renegade but the holster portion is the same heavy duty elastic as the ankle band. It's not quite as flexible as the cozy partner but it makes up for it in durability.

I've got $100+ leather ankle holsters that sit in a drawer becuase the $40 DeSantis is more comfortable.

Here's the new one I bought last week for my Glock 43.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Another for the Desantis Die Hard. Carries my G27 just fine, so it will definitely handle the slimmer XDS.

I normally wear it over a boot, but it works equally well over a sock. I would highly recommend getting some 4" velcro loop though and covering the hook that you don't use so it doesn't grab your socks.

I will say I never carry primarily on the ankle. It's always a backup.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 2:03:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been using a Desantis Di hard for about 6 years now, It's been excellent and I've worn it out. Gotta start thinking of replacing it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#17]
My Desantis Die Hard just showed up today.

Been wearing it around with my Shield in it for a few hours. Took the dogs for a walk, normal walking around the house shit.

Only complaint I have so far is that it in summertime weather, it's really warm to wear. I have a feeling I won't carry on my ankle much during the summer, but will more in the fall and winter when it's cooler out. I think that is probably true for all ankle holsters though, just due to the way they are worn.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Been wearing it around with my Shield in it for a few hours. Took the dogs for a walk, normal walking around the house shit.

Only complaint I have so far is that it in summertime weather, it's really warm to wear. I have a feeling I won't carry on my ankle much during the summer, but will more in the fall and winter when it's cooler out. I think that is probably true for all ankle holsters though, just due to the way they are worn.
View Quote

The neoprene bands are MUCH hotter than the elastic models.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know. This thing is really comfortable though.

Ankle carry for me isn't going to be a primary method, so it's not a big issue, but that info is relevant to anyone looking for an ankle holster.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:59:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Plus, they have that Wool material or Faux Wool, they are very hot but you will get used to it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I have used and liked both the DeSantis Apache and Galco Ankle Lite.  I also recommend rolling your sock up over the holster for extra support and concealment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top