Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2015 5:18:40 PM EDT
How do you guys conceal carry when driving around town? I'm pretty new to conceal carrying and I can't quite find a good way to conceal carry in the IWB holster while driving without the butt of the gun digging into my seat. Any advice?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a mounted holster in the center console.  I usually put my gun it that when I'm in the truck.  Much more comfortable and easier to get to it if needed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Since I have a truck it goes In center console.  What do you drive? Does it have a decent place to be put out of site like a door pocket or center console, and when you get out put it back in the holster.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I drive an 07' Acura TL and do you guys take thr holster out as well or just take the gun out of the holster till you get to your destination? Wish there was an easier way to just keep it in the holster on your body. This is for my Glock 19 by the way
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Riding in a car while i type this. My shield is no more noticeable than a wallet. Maybe grab a smaller gun or carry more forward
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:52:46 PM EDT
[#5]

I spend a lot of time driving and it has caused me to move my carry position from around 3:30 / 4:00 to about 2:30 since I don't want to take my gun off getting in and out of my truck all day.
Its a lot more comfortable there and a lot more accessible.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I spend a lot of time driving and it has caused me to move my carry position from around 3:30 / 4:00 to about 2:30 since I don't want to take my gun off getting in and out of my truck all day.
Its a lot more comfortable there and a lot more accessible.

View Quote

2:30 owb, ther ya go.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#7]

3:00 OWB a S&W 9c spare magazine at 9:00 in a horizontal carrier.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I drive an 07' Acura TL and do you guys take thr holster out as well or just take the gun out of the holster till you get to your destination? Wish there was an easier way to just keep it in the holster on your body. This is for my Glock 19 by the way
View Quote

Just the gun but my s&w m&p 45 is too big and uncomfortable to sit on while driving I'm looking into a 45 sub compact xds just so I don't have to keep moving it. But on the other hand it's easier to get at in the consol vs sitting on it.. basically user preference.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's why people buy the G26.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I  conceal carry when driving around town the same as I do walking around town.

If its on you, CCW laws apply.

If its not on you, castle doctrine or whatever state laws  for vehicle transfer apply.

Know the laws for each, and what state you are in.

Finding a comfort level for driving and walking makes it a lot easier.

For me its a sub-compact in a pocket holster.

Yes I got multiple others and multiple IWB holsters of different sorts. Multiple high dollar belts.

The one you end up taking all the time, and not leaving home for whatever reason is the right one.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I appendix carry so its comfortable while I drive.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I appendix carry so its comfortable while I drive.
View Quote

This

I carry a G19.  Then I put the seat belt and shirt behind the gun while driving.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I  conceal carry when driving around town the same as I do walking around town.

If its on you, CCW laws apply.

If its not on you, castle doctrine or whatever state laws  for vehicle transfer apply.

Know the laws for each, and what state you are in.

Finding a comfort level for driving and walking makes it a lot easier.

For me its a sub-compact in a pocket holster.

Yes I got multiple others and multiple IWB holsters of different sorts. Multiple high dollar belts.

The one you end up taking all the time, and not leaving home for whatever reason is the right one.
View Quote

How accessible is that when your sitting down driving with a seat belt wrapped around you?
I would have a heck of a time reaching in a pocket while seated.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Not too hard. seatbelt is a little above pocket. For me Its actually easier then AIWB with seat belt.

The OP asked how you CC while driving.

I dont think center counsel or somewhere else in the vehicle is CC.

Like you, I prefer to just keep it on me.

I never tried  shoulder/ underarm.  Too warm here.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had the CLS. Similar seats. I have G37 now again similar seats. You have to move the gun rearward. Make it so the butt rests right in the bolster/seat-back crease.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#16]
The cool guys will make fun but I have found that the best way is in a Fanny Pack Holster. It sits in your lap on top of the seat belt, is readily accessible and comfortable. You can carry a compact .45acp and most 9mm without a problem even when wearing shorts and a t shirt.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The cool guys will make fun but I have found that the best way is in a Fanny Pack Holster. It sits in your lap on top of the seat belt, is readily accessible and comfortable. You can carry a compact .45acp and most 9mm without a problem even when wearing shorts and a t shirt.

http://www.fannypackholster.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/-6223602906440310.jpg
View Quote

Let me guess...

Middle-aged IT guy or engineer?

Few things will make a grown man looks as dorky as a fanny pack. Those "concealment" vests run a close second,  especially when worn in the summer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Be sure you are clear on your state laws.

For example, here In SC, it's either on you, in the center console or glove box. Anything else, and you are in trouble (unless properly unloaded and placed in a closed case).
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://www.fannypackholster.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/-6223602906440310.jpg
View Quote

Rofl
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Let me guess...

Few things will make a grown man looks as dorky as a fanny pack. Those "concealment" vests run a close second,  especially when worn in the summer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me guess...

Please don't stereotype all of us engineers.

Even us chemical engineers.

The last time I used a fanny pack was 1999.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me guess...

Not all engineers and IT guys wear fanny packs...but it seems as though most fanny pack wearers are engineers or IT guys.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Let me guess...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me guess...

Master Unlimited (Captain ) in the Merchant Marine. I'm not worried bout how you think I look.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I had the CLS. Similar seats. I have G37 now again similar seats. You have to move the gun rearward. Make it so the butt rests right in the bolster/seat-back crease.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah I may have to try that then!
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I mounted a fobus holster directly to the underside of the dash and to the right of the steering column.  A G22 cut to G23 lives there.  Goes in center console of truck.  Not too worried about visibility since the truck sits fairly high and has tinted windows.  OWB holster when it's cold enough for a jacket.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I reverse the gun.
I use a lefthanded holster on my right side, so the butt of the gun is facing out.
it is easier to draw when seated.
I don't actually cross draw. I just turn my hand around and pull reversed.
it isn't a fast draw and really you couldn't facing correctly in a seated position anyway.
I give that up for the ablitlty to sit down and not have it poke the chair I am in.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:33:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I reverse the gun.
I use a lefthanded holster on my right side, so the butt of the gun is facing out.
it is easier to draw when seated.
I don't actually cross draw. I just turn my hand around and pull reversed.
it isn't a fast draw and really you couldn't facing correctly in a seated position anyway.
I give that up for the ablitlty to sit down and not have it poke the chair I am in.
View Quote

This is interesting.  I like the idea.  For me though, I carry a Glock 42 in an Uncle Mike's size 4 pocket holster behind my wallet in my front pocket.  If there is any printing issues, people are going to see my wallet printing and think nothing of it (or that I have a fat wallet), but they won't typically recognize it as a weapon.  It is a bit harder to draw when seated in a car, but it is certainly comfortable to wear and drive.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:03:37 AM EDT
[#27]
95 percent of the time, I carry a 1911 in a holster, small of the back. Have for decades (Ever since my days working drugs). Never had a problem. After years of doing so, relatively easy access, even in the car.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top