Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2015 9:01:26 AM EDT
I have been looking at getting a CC license and also at several makes/models of CC pistols.  I am leaning towards the Ruger LC9 mainly because of its smaller size than .45 cal pistols, the better stopping power compared to 0.38, etc.

A few concerns I have are:

1) If one leaves the safety off (i.e. one in the chamber and gun ready to fire on trigger pull), is there a chance that the gun could go off in the event of a crash while riding?
--I'd imagine that the only type of pistol where that could not happen is if it had a firing pin block type safety.....

2) In a defensive situation involving another motorcycle rider, that rider is likely to be wearing several layers of clothing (maybe a few denim layers and leathers).  At reasonable CC defensive ranges, which are probably no more than 10-15 yards; is it advisable to use these types of bullets: load every other round with 9mm JHP and 9mm FMJ ball....
--As those with knowledge know (and which I have gathered watching numerous yt vids and reading a lot online), the most critical factor is shot placement; more so than caliber, bullet type, muzzle velocity, etc.  That being said, I figured the FMJ could give high penetration and the JHP would create more serious wounding.  Would that mag load be at advantage to a mag filled with all of the same type of either rounds?

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:46:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I ride 10k to 12k miles per year.  My EDC whether riding or driving is my 5" .45 Kimber.  I carry it locked/loaded (round chambered, cocked and locked).  If I go down, the gun discharging is the least of my worries, and I've been down twice in 45+ years of riding.

As far as ammo, I load all JHP's all the time, I'm not too concerned about a defensive situation involving another rider.  I'm more concerned about idiot cage drivers who are texting while driving and drifting into my lane or turning in front of me.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Just based on what you stated OP I think it calls for something like a Glock 19 or Glock 26.  A good belt and holster plus any protective clothing I am sure you will be wearing will make either disappear.  

Plus given their price if you go down and scuff it a little it no huge deal.  They are already ugly.  And I would load a good heavy JHP like a 147 gr and skip any ball.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I carry an LC9 all the time while motorcycling. Personally I wouldn't leave the safety off because all bets are off in a crash. If I'm riding off-road while carrying, I'll even carry without a round in the chamber just to be sure because I'm good at crashing . If I run into a mountain lion or bear, hopefully I can get away or have time to rack the slide once.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are scared about the gun discharging get an m9/92 beretta and de cock it. If you get into it with another rider keep riding and be the bigger man. If you go to social events where fighting is frequent then a life style change will save your life more than a gun will
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I have ridden for 20+ years and carried all the time.  I carry a glock 19 in a crossbreed holster.  I have never worried about crashing and the gun going off.  If you crash at any kind of speed there is so much shit that could go wrong.  I have been hit by a car twice while riding and it did not go off.  It ripped through my leathers and jacket but the gun was fine.

As far as other biker I would be more concerned about the idiots driving the great big cars......unless you are in a biker gang and shootings are common.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw this thread yesterday and almost posted. But today's experience maybe gives me more to go on.

I've been riding various bikes off and on since high school- over 25 years, been carrying a gun on bikes and everywhere else legal when sober for 14 years.
Today someone ran into me while I was riding my cheap scooter. Yes, scooter.(It's not the only bike in the garage). A few carry/bike lessons were observed.
First the crash:
Could've been worse but still not fatal probably. I'm in left turn lane approaching signal, jackass in a Subaru pulls from a dead stop in the right/forward lane right into me. Not in front of but into me and knocked me into the curb/down. I'm just scuffed up as is the bike. If it had been the bigger bike it actually would have been a lot worse. Luckily I drive very carefully in traffic and I was going relatively slow and was quick on the brake.(Gotta appreciate those motocross years).
Roll, little boo-boo, I'm right up and bikes together and still running. The guy's still stopped ahead. A bystander tells me he saw it and got the plates etc as I make my way to the car.
Carry aspect:
Yes, I was armed. My usual is one of two platforms, either a snub or G26 AIWB. Today a snub.
I was pissed, experiencing an adrenaline dump and my mind was sure this guy did it on purpose. My mind was moving very quickly I think actually.
All at once my mind reminded me I was armed and to be calm. I was arriving at the window and saw him and immediately knew it was accidental. Despite my defusing my temper I'm sure my demeanor demonstrated what I was feeling. But that millisecond of thought allowed me to observe before I began yelling. Then I began only I was thinking and well under control.
He wanted to stop and apologize and bla-bla but I dismissed him; again, just not needing to open the doors to a confrontation or always pleasant police interaction while armed. I'm ok, no real damage or injuries- carry on.

I don't think it much matters what gun you're carrying while riding. But I do think where matters. If I had been carrying left side hip I'd have quite worse bruise I'll bet. I'm a righty - throttle side. I can draw left handed from my AIWB carry- not so at 4:00. That could matter too.

OP's loadout idea and reasoning: Maybe hang around different riders if you're more concerned with them over being innocently targeted and attacked by a criminal. The attire aspect is valid, but relatively moot if using a good caliber and good modern ammo. Stay away from FMJ in general. Missing is higher possibility than under-penetration. When using good ammo there's no reason stagger or mix rounds.

Ok, probably long, on the phone.
Ride safe, shoot straight & Happy St Patrick's Day!

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#7]
.38 snubbie in sock holder. .45 commander in belt slide.  .38 Derringer in leather jacket pocket.  I usually do two of these things.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I ride an '07 Yamaha sportbike. I carry a S&W M&P9c 3 o'clock in a Raven Concealment Phantom and a spare mag at 8 o'clock. I carry how you should always carry, one in the chamber. My particular model does not have the manual safety, so that's not a worry for me. For me, it's all JHP, no FMJ here, unless I'm going to the range.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#9]
You are going to get lots of answers (as these threads tend to go ) and a decent percentage will bore you by telling you to get a G19.
Sort of boring , not real flashy but always a good answer for the "What gun should I get for................"
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#10]
HP load = heavy for caliber of reputable mainstream brand that runs in my gun.

All the same loads in mag.  Alternating is needless IMO- choose load as per above and you are gtg.  And, besides, you'll never know if it's the odd(s) or the even(s) round(s) that hit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top